To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pub Talk & Matchday Banter 2022/23

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pub Talk & Matchday Banter 2022/23

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Yard of Grass wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 21:46 No less childish (and less confrontational) than a Conte running into the Chelsea tech area?
Yes, they were both very much acting like eejits.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Malrom wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 22:01 fun fact:

Timo Werner scored his 79th goal in 128 games in the Bundesliga yesterday for Leipzig vs Cologne. 8-) 8-)
The Premier league is different. Not necessarily convinced it is better but certainly different.

Many amazing players and managers come, and then find their previous approach might not work.

Warner is excellent but doesn't suit the PL.

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

Bob Newhart wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 18:26
andybarrell wrote:New it was a myth ImageImageImageImage
Old it was a myth.
:lol:

It was a new myth from an old rumour. Or maybe odl it was a myth.

You have to laugh. There was a poster here (can't remember who it was) fuming about the disrespect shown Kane after gameweek 1 and saying he hoped he'd score a hat trick etc. Didn't quite get his wish but he scored and Haaland didn't.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

raoul wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 00:30

Timo Werner scored his 79th goal in 128 games in the Bundesliga yesterday for Leipzig vs Cologne. 8-) 8-)
The Premier league is different. Not necessarily convinced it is better but certainly different.

Many amazing players and managers come, and then find their previous approach might not work.

Other than Bayern it’s a turkey shoot really… a bit like Holland but at least that’s a two or three team contest. The Bundesliga’s effectively an exhibition contest that everyone knows who’s won before it even kicks off.

There’s an argument that really good players (and managers) should be able to adapt to whatever league they play in and do well. But I suppose sometimes the timing or situation just isn’t right. Werner’s biggest problem seemed to be confidence in front of goal, which isn’t specific to any league. I blame the Chelsea striker curse which only Drogba and Costa have really broken in 20 years.

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

forestfan wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 08:39
raoul wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 00:30

Other than Bayern it’s a turkey shoot really… a bit like Holland but at least that’s a two or three team contest. The Bundesliga’s effectively an exhibition contest that everyone knows who’s won before it even kicks off.

There’s an argument that really good players (and managers) should be able to adapt to whatever league they play in and do well. But I suppose sometimes the timing or situation just isn’t right. Werner’s biggest problem seemed to be confidence in front of goal, which isn’t specific to any league. I blame the Chelsea striker curse which only Drogba and Costa have really broken in 20 years.
+ 1

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

If he’d changed the spelling of his name to Werna I think he’d have been OK ;)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Sorry, but there is no curse (unlike Kane in August 🤣😂🤣). Chelsea aren't set up for a dominant CF. Lulu needs wide players but never really had them, I don't know anything about Werner, but he looked like a fish out of water.....

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Moon Knight »

Young person trying to settle in a foreign country/culture. Sometimes it isn’t a problem, sometimes they struggle.

That said, in general, his performances were pretty good. He just couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 11:32 Sorry, but there is no curse (unlike Kane in August 🤣😂🤣). Chelsea aren't set up for a dominant CF. Lulu needs wide players but never really had them, I don't know anything about Werner, but he looked like a fish out of water.....
Clubs need to realise that you have to build your playing strategy and style around big signings to play to their strengths and get the best out of them. If you’re not prepared to do that with a particular player, don’t sign them. It’s not rocket surgery ;)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 11:46
blahblah wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 11:32 Sorry, but there is no curse (unlike Kane in August 🤣😂🤣). Chelsea aren't set up for a dominant CF. Lulu needs wide players but never really had them, I don't know anything about Werner, but he looked like a fish out of water.....
Clubs need to realise that you have to build your playing strategy and style around big signings to play to their strengths and get the best out of them. If you’re not prepared to do that with a particular player, don’t sign them. It’s not rocket surgery ;)
Yep and I think it might be for some people.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Agent-driven signings and panic buys often constrain clubs… as do those who are signed against the manager/head coach’s wishes, which is why I never liked the DoF approach, though admittedly a manager/HC can’t do everything in this day and age.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Shouldn't the DoF see the big picture? (S)He should know the style of play and seek out appropriate players?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:03 Shouldn't the DoF see the big picture? (S)He should know the style of play and seek out appropriate players?
I guess if a club has a strategy it works. City built everything for Pep first then went and got him. Presumably they and Liverpool have a well considered list of successors for when the need eventually arises.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

yeah the advantage of the DoF structure is that, when it works, it should provide the club with continuity of style and policy through different managers.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

eastcentral1 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 13:10 yeah the advantage of the DoF structure is that, when it works, it should provide the club with continuity of style and policy through different managers.
Brentford have done this over the seasons. Do they have a DoF, or is it a team of data boys?

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

I believe Brentford is run along a DoF model.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

In unrelated news, and Championship not PL, the mighty Hoops scored in 87th and 92nd minute to rescue a draw at Sunderland.

Equaliser a header from our keeper :)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

eastcentral1 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 13:38 I believe Brentford is run along a DoF model.
Yes, they may not specifically have a bod with the title, but all the relevant staff must be on the same hymn sheet......

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

raoul wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 13:45 In unrelated news, and Championship not PL, the mighty Hoops scored in 87th and 92nd minute to rescue a draw at Sunderland.

Equaliser a header from our keeper :)
And Ipswich are top 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

forestfan wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 08:39Werner’s biggest problem seemed to be confidence in front of goal, which isn’t specific to any league. I blame the Chelsea striker curse which only Drogba and Costa have really broken in 20 years.
They had another one like Werner called Casiraghi some years ago. They broke him too.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Magic wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 13:52
forestfan wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 08:39Werner’s biggest problem seemed to be confidence in front of goal, which isn’t specific to any league. I blame the Chelsea striker curse which only Drogba and Costa have really broken in 20 years.
They had another one like Werner called Casiraghi some years ago. They broke him too.
anelka often gets forgotten, but he scored a fair few for us and was, imo, underrated.
https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-r ... ramovich/

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Souness...

To me he was making a comment about the men's premier league games and happy that referees now seem to let the game flow and aren't whistling when players crumple to the ground in a slight breeze.

He wasn't commenting on women's football at all.

Men's premier league should be a man's game. Not football is only for men.

Some people seem desperate to create issues out of nothing.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

More of an adult to child thing to me.

Daley Thomson got in trouble for saying Kat thingy thingy threw like a girl, which she does......

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

Man United looking at Vardy now? Don't' get me wrong, he's a great striker, but all a bit desperate at this point.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Owsler wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 16:42 Man United looking at Vardy now? Don't' get me wrong, he's a great striker, but all a bit desperate at this point.
I read/heard that a lil while back and I thought it was a joke 🤦🤦🤦

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

They might end up signing De Jong by 2025.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Owsler wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 17:11 They might end up signing De Jong by 2025.
Erm, he wants to play in the Champions' League, not the Championship 🙄🙄🙄

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 15:38 More of an adult to child thing to me.

Daley Thomson got in trouble for saying Kat thingy thingy threw like a girl, which she does......
Yeah, it’s a bit like “man up”, which I never thought of as sexist as I saw it as meaning be a man not a boy…

Somewhat outdated phrases that can br misconstrued, but not worth making a big fuss about either.

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pub Talk & Matchday Banter 2022/23

Post by Moon Knight »

The phrase ‘man up’ is toxic masculinity at its finest and also very obviously sexist.

You don’t need to be a man to show resolve in a difficult situation, do you?
Last edited by Moon Knight on 15 Aug 2022, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

blahblah wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 16:44
Owsler wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 16:42 Man United looking at Vardy now? Don't' get me wrong, he's a great striker, but all a bit desperate at this point.
I read/heard that a lil while back and I thought it was a joke 🤦🤦🤦
United look reasonable going forward.

Priorities elsewhere surely?

Quite liked the look of Malacia when he came on, so perhaps left back is ok for a while, but they look soft as anything in the middle and the CBs (who seem to have zero confidence) need a lot of protection in front.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”