To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Chelsea defence

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Chelsea defence

Post by Gambit »

When the game launched, James and Chilwell went straight into my team, couldn't believe their price and thought they both looked great picks. Fast forward a few weeks and now I'm finally sitting down and looking at various drafts and I'm thinking I may avoid both of them at the start.

Chilwell hasn't featured that much in pre season and was training by himself at one point, Alonso still there and clearly a threat to his early season minutes.

James will play but has been used as RCB so it's not yet clear where he starts the season or with that system they line up with. In addition to all this they will have new CB's to intergrate which could impact how solid they are early season.

The final issue, although their fixtures are not that bad, I can't see a clean sheet in GW2 v Spurs, and in GW4 it's Leicester who have scored in each of the last four PL visits to Chelsea.

I'm going to be using a fairly early WC so at the moment I have the Chelsea defence on a watching brief and not in my GW1 team.

Is anybody else planning to avoid the Chelsea defence early season or are most of you still on them? James still with 43% ownership.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: ?

Re: Chelsea defence

Post by itslikebrandnew »

Yep i have Chilwell and James and currently looking at downgrading and squeezing Salah in.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

Agree with the overall concerns - and I’d add another - their pre-season form, including that 4-0 thrashing by Arsenal yesterday!

However those two WBs are great VFM picks and Chelsea’s first 5 fixtures are actually OK, so my reaction to all those concerns is… yes, drop Chilwell, but keep James for GW1. And don’t include any other Chelsea player.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Hogmeister wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 16:27 Agree with the overall concerns - and I’d add another - their pre-season form, including that 4-0 thrashing by Arsenal yesterday!

However those two WBs are great VFM picks and Chelsea’s first 5 fixtures are actually OK, so my reaction to all those concerns is… yes, drop Chilwell, but keep James for GW1. And don’t include any other Chelsea player.
Yeah if keeping one of them it's James for sure. Problem is that if he starts the season as the RCB then you are not getting the benefit of the WB role. Also, it isn't clear yet (or at least I haven't seen anything) if they are using WB's or going with the back four, both systems have been used in pre season.

Still plenty time to decide. It could depend on Perisic for me, he's currently out of my team but if he's confirmed to start the season then I'd take him above James I think, at least to start with, better fixtures, confirmed WB's, and then I could review when playing the WC in 4-6.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Hogmeister wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 16:27 Agree with the overall concerns - and I’d add another - their pre-season form, including that 4-0 thrashing by Arsenal yesterday!

They played 433 in the shambles vs Arse.

CFCTV have put the highlights 😂🤣😂🤣 on YouTube and the commentators sounded like they need the Anti-Depressants that I haven't sent them 😂🤣😂🤣😂

Hogmeister
Dumbledore

Post by Hogmeister »

Gambit wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 16:39

Yeah if keeping one of them it's James for sure. Problem is that if he starts the season as the RCB then you are not getting the benefit of the WB role. Also, it isn't clear yet (or at least I haven't seen anything) if they are using WB's or going with the back four, both systems have been used in pre season.

Still plenty time to decide. It could depend on Perisic for me, he's currently out of my team but if he's confirmed to start the season then I'd take him above James I think, at least to start with, better fixtures, confirmed WB's, and then I could review when playing the WC in 4-6.
Yeah, James’ potential attacking returns in those early fixtures are too good to miss I think, despite the concerns mentioned. He’s a lock for me alongside TAA and Cancelo.

And btw Chelsea’s fixtures in GW1-5 are actually better than Spurs, not worse. I just checked the FFS ticker to double-check that view, and they rate Chelsea as 6th best over those weeks, and Spurs 11th best.

I also have my eye on Perisic, but he would be as well as James, rather than instead of.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 15:41 Yep i have Chilwell and James and currently looking at downgrading and squeezing Salah in.
I have all three 👀. I won't let pre-season impact my thinking too much.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Hogmeister wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 17:08
Gambit wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 16:39

Yeah, James’ potential attacking returns in those early fixtures are too good to miss I think, despite the concerns mentioned. He’s a lock for me alongside TAA and Cancelo.

And btw Chelsea’s fixtures in GW1-5 are actually better than Spurs, not worse. I just checked the FFS ticker to double-check that view, and they rate Chelsea as 6th best over those weeks, and Spurs 11th best.

I also have my eye on Perisic, but he would be as well as James, rather than instead of.
I'm highly dubious of anything that currently rates the Chelsea defence above Spurs tbh. Spurs have Saints, Fulham, Wolves, Forest in their first six, that looks superb to me!

Spurs = SAINTS/Chelsea/WOLVES/Forest/West Ham/FULHAM
Chelsea = Everton/SPURS/Leeds/LEICESTER/Saints/WEST HAM

I'd take the Spurs defence above Chelsea for those opening six games, both have three home/away games but I expect Chelsea to concede in all three of their home games whereas I could easily see three CS for Spurs. Time will tell but Spurs look much better set up at the back than Chelsea do at the moment.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: ?

Post by itslikebrandnew »

From4corners wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 17:33
itslikebrandnew wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 15:41 Yep i have Chilwell and James and currently looking at downgrading and squeezing Salah in.
I have all three 👀. I won't let pre-season impact my thinking too much.
The more thought i give it the more i feel it's a mistake not starting with Salah, even if he starts off badly he'll probably get a few pens in those first few games. Then when i look at squeezing Salah in there's 5 or 6 players i wont take out my team and it leaves me with swapping Diaz for Salah and taking out the Chelsea defenders.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

+1 for Spurs defence being a better pick than Chelsea's.....

Hogmeister
Dumbledore

Post by Hogmeister »

Gambit wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 17:45 I'm highly dubious of anything that currently rates the Chelsea defence above Spurs tbh. Spurs have Saints, Fulham, Wolves, Forest in their first six, that looks superb to me!

I'd take the Spurs defence above Chelsea for those opening six games, both have three home/away games but I expect Chelsea to concede in all three of their home games whereas I could easily see three CS for Spurs. Time will tell but Spurs look much better set up at the back than Chelsea do at the moment.
The rating wasn’t about the relative strengths of their defences, it was how easy their respective fixtures were. You said that one of the reasons for not wanting James was that Spurs had better fixtures. It’s only that specific point I was questioning.

Again I double-checked on the FFS ticker, extending it to 6 GWs (my primary focus is the first five) and checking on fixture difficulty for attack, defence and overall. In each case Chelsea were rated as having slightly easier fixtures. The fact that Chelsea are at home when they play each other will be a factor in that, of course.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Spurs defence/team should be more settled than Chelsea, which shouldn't be forgotten.

I also rate Conte a lot higher than 2Holes....

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

2holes? Difficult to get non-English names right? :roll: ow wait, you did get Conte spot on.. :?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

From4corners wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 18:26 2holes? Difficult to get non-English names right? :roll:
Well twit is filtered 🤷‍♂️

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Hogmeister wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 18:14
Gambit wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 17:45 I'm highly dubious of anything that currently rates the Chelsea defence above Spurs tbh. Spurs have Saints, Fulham, Wolves, Forest in their first six, that looks superb to me!

The rating wasn’t about the relative strengths of their defences, it was how easy their respective fixtures were. You said that one of the reasons for not wanting James was that Spurs had better fixtures. It’s only that specific point I was questioning.

Again I double-checked on the FFS ticker, extending it to 6 GWs (my primary focus is the first five) and checking on fixture difficulty for attack, defence and overall. In each case Chelsea were rated as having slightly easier fixtures. The fact that Chelsea are at home when they play each other will be a factor in that, of course.
fair enough, I still like the Spurs fixtures better, like you say maybe it comes down to Chelsea being home to Spurs, and Chelsea are also H v West Ham whereas Spurs are away v WH.

Pre Season can be very misleading but it's all there is at the moment, Spurs look very good to me, Chelsea don't, and the comments from TT last night/this morning don't paint a pretty picture. As things stand, for the first 6 GW's (I can't see me holding the WC past GW6) I'm 100% more bullish on Spurs than Chelsea.

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

I also believe Spurs have the better first 6 fixtures.

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

Chelsea are an absolute shambles at the back. This is the year where age finally catches up with Thiago Silva.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

BLOCKHEAD wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 19:04 Chelsea are an absolute shambles at the back. This is the year where age finally catches up with Thiago Silva.
We agree too much 😳😳😳

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

blahblah wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 18:22Conte....
His name always takes me back to a very funny thing I once saw happen with Clint Eastwood and some movie theatre lettering...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Bob Newhart wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 19:40
blahblah wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 18:22Conte....
His name always takes me back to a very funny thing I once saw happen with Clint Eastwood and some movie theatre lettering...
There was another Hunt with a c on a news program the other week 🤣😂🤣

I think they must be in a Fawlty Tower's don't mention the war headspace 😂🤣😂🤣

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

blahblah wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 19:43There was another Hunt with a c on a news program the other week 🤣😂🤣
Jeremy?

I once attended a conference with him whist he was Health Secretary. Filled... me... with... confidence... were not the first four words that came to mind.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yep Jerry my Hunt....

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

blahblah wrote:Yep Jerry my Hunt....
Has anybody seen Mike Hunt?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Bob Newhart wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 20:18
blahblah wrote:Yep Jerry my Hunt....
Has anybody seen Mike Hunt?
Roger Mike Hunt?

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

The only team worse than Chelsea might be Everton :shock: and that would probably be the only reason to start with the Chelsea defence now, I have had Mendy and James pencilled in like others, but tinkering today, there is a lot more I can fit into my team if I drop Mendy for a 4.5 and drop James for a 5.0 (At a price point where you can get attacking defenders).
The Chelsea bargains might not be all they seem on pre-season form Chelsea FC would need to get at least one clean sheet for me to reconsider them now, and they are running out of games.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

It's still pre season, you can't put a lot of weight on the results. TT's interview was a bit odd, but I wouldn't be writing Chelsea off just yet.

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Lucky »

If I had to double up on any defence, I would only consider Liverpool (too expensive) and ManCity (not sure who will be guaranteed starters - Cancelo, Laporte, Dias?) Fixtures for ManCity apart from WestHam fixture look encouraging, but ManCity midfielders and Haaland might me more exciting for the fixtures.

Chelsea's defence is not settled. They can always concede sloppy goals - also against Everton. And Spurs are spursy. They might look good one half and concede in the second half.

Therefore I will go with one of each (incl goalie) Liv, ManC, Chelsea, Ars or Spurs, Lei plus cheapie N.Williams. I think Leicester was poor in defence last season, because they were badly effected by injuries. Their defenders could be very good value at 4.5m this season.

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

I think James is essential, mainly because of his explosive potential. The rest not so much.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore

Post by Hogmeister »

Lucky wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 07:18 Therefore I will go with one of each (incl goalie) Liv, ManC, Chelsea, Ars or Spurs, Lei plus cheapie N.Williams. I think Leicester were poor in defence last season, because they were badly affected by injuries. Their defenders could be very good value at 4.5m this season.
Agree with your assessment of Leicester defenders, could be great value there… but not until the first WC. They have three difficult fixtures in their first 5 (ars, che, MUN).

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I have my eye on a LEI defender after the GW5 WC too, their fixtures (and actually Forest/Williams too) are a great fit with Andreas for the 11th man spot.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”