To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

WARNING - FPL Traps for the 22/23 Season

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

WARNING - FPL Traps for the 22/23 Season

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

Some new FPL traps for the upcoming season - I didn't include the traps from last season in this list because we already know about them now.

Haaland - The last 2 big money signings (Werner/Sancho) from the bundesliga both flopped. It also takes big money city attacking signings a season to settle in (see Mahrez and Grealish).

Salah - Disappointing form in the 2nd half of last season and now has the big new contract. This reminds me of the Aubameyang situation at Arsenal whose form fell off a cliff once he signed his big shiny new contract.

Ronaldo - The drop off in form can be quite drastic at this age - see Messi from last season. May soon be sacrificed anyway for the good of the team and style of play if he does stay at United.

Nunez - Has all the traits of a CK - complete waste of money.

Perisic - Will get hauled off before the hour for plenty of 1 pointers now that there are 5 subs and Conte likes his wing backs to be fresh and full of energy. This old man won't last long past half-time in a lot of games and will also start on the bench quite a bit too.

Tomiyasu - Developing into an even bigger sick note than Tierney. Will spend most of the season on the sidelines with ongoing issues. Millions will get suckered into having him because he's a 4.5 Arsenal defender.

Toney - Half of his goals for last season came in a couple of games against relegated Norwich and Burnley when he had Eriksen feeding him. With Eriksen gone, expect the awful Toney we saw for most of last season.

Feel free to add to the list of course 8-)

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Re: WARNING - FPL Traps for the 22/23 Season

Post by raoul »

all very negative.

Care to suggest anyone, especially those transferred in for this season, you think are the opposite of traps?

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

Jesus might have taken his Citeh shooting boots with him.
Perisic fragile & 33 probably a few years too late for PL

but Chelsea & Newcastle defence will do better than most think.

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Post by Ralfbergs »

Disagree about Haaland and about Salah it is hard to say. Werner and Sancho weren't as big as Haaland, who some see as next Ronaldo/Messi from this generation - Werner for sure wasn't compared as much to them and I do not remember him proving himself instantly in Champions league too. Yes, Sancho was said to be big signing and flopped, but I still expect more from Haaland. He will be main City striker and even with worse strikers with such City lineup there will always be goals plus they are one of main predicted teams to win PL - with Sterling and Jesus gone, he also doubt has any real big rotation risks if he does prove himself.

As for Salah - I mean it can happen and it can be wrong. Nobody can say. Then by such way of thinkin we should avoid anyone who gets big contracts but there will always be ones who fall off and ones who still prove themselves. Salah has been one of best FPL point gatherers in last seasons - Auba had much more ups and downs (even though yes Salah had periods of blanking too).

Don't know about Nunez, the rest from Blockhead yes I agree do seem like not worth taking them in the team, at least from start, especially Toney (I had him before Eriksen last season and mostly was frustrated - even though he had better price and did get some ok results compared to others. Now with 7.0 I think can find someone better there.

About Jesus though I disagree, I have a feeling he will actually shine, Arsenal youngsters are getting better and Jesus seems already getting goals in friendlies (yes, they don't mean much, but anyway) - since Auba and Lacazette is gone he finally should get proper minutes and should not be rotation risk. So for me I will be trying to fit Jesus in from start if I can , given also that Arsenal fixtures are good imo

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I agree with Blockhead's list except for Tomi as I think he had a bad injury rather than Tierney's steady stream ....

I'm vary wary about Chelsea as they seem to have been getting less good this year, and they'll have a new defence which should take time to gel and settle....

Jesus should live up to his £8m billing with regular starts? He may benefit for being more of a target for the assisters than he was at Citeh?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Haaland: along with Pep's centre forwards' 1st season dip, the great lump seems to be a tad fragile.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

I see Haaland as a genuine CK and doubt very much that he will hit the ground running.

I guess the only issue is FOMO. He's going to have such a high level of ownership that if he does find his shooting boots straight away all of the non-owners are going to be behind from the get-go.

zipnolan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ex FISODAS champ; 2009 TFF 95th, MOTW and TFF cup qtr finalist, TFFO 78th, FPL 346th. And a lot of rubbish.

Post by zipnolan »

Agree with Raoul. It’s pretty easy to write down a list of things that could go wrong, fairly safe in the knowledge that some things won’t work, and you can come back and say told you so.

I would like to see this trapless team, with its no Salah and no Haaland. I doubt that I ever will have the pleasure, though.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I disagree 😂🤣😂🤣

There is so much overhyping certain players that the opposite is just a bit if balance....

My RMT only has Haaland from that list and he is as much a placeholder for Kane, or other Premium bod.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

zipnolan wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 14:51I would like to see this trapless team, with its no Salah and no Haaland. I doubt that I ever will have the pleasure, though.
Pretty sure you will see it... somewhere. Someone going for Son and Kane over Salah and Ugly Bug Alfie Jr. blahblah might be a good bet to give you the pleasure you seek.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

😎😎😎

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Post by Ralfbergs »

Bob Newhart wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 14:56
zipnolan wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 14:51I would like to see this trapless team, with its no Salah and no Haaland. I doubt that I ever will have the pleasure, though.
Pretty sure you will see it... somewhere. Someone going for Son and Kane over Salah and Ugly Bug Alfie Jr. blahblah might be a good bet to give you the pleasure you seek.
I will for sure go without Salah, just because of his price tag, if for nothing else. And I am sure that there will be many others who will be trying to do something similar, giving the options available.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Ralfbergs wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 15:06
Bob Newhart wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 14:56
I will for sure go without Salah, just because of his price tag, if for nothing else. And I am sure that there will be many others who will be trying to do something similar, giving the options available.
Especially with Diaz being so much cheaper.

zipnolan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ex FISODAS champ; 2009 TFF 95th, MOTW and TFF cup qtr finalist, TFFO 78th, FPL 346th. And a lot of rubbish.

Post by zipnolan »

Crikey! I was really talking about Blockhead’s team, but interesting to see the responses.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

zipnolan wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 15:44 Crikey! I was really talking about Blockhead’s team, but interesting to see the responses.
Explain?

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Last season, Kane's future was in doubt at the start, and he was pants. Once it became clear he would stay, he improved.

Doubt existed late last season over whether Salah would get the new contract. His form tailed off, made to look worse by Son being on fire.

Salah now has the contract.

He will be just fine.

zipnolan
Dumbledore

Post by zipnolan »

I think the reasons given by responders are arguably ok, but the original reason given against Salah ( poor end to last season, will freewheel with a new contract) are rubbish. He was a bit injured and rested at end of season, but I’ve never seen him give less than total commitment. I expect that none of us are going with all of Blockhead’s bugbears, but dismissing them as “traps” is a nonsense. I just want to see Blockhead’s team, so we can see who isn’t a trap.

Obviously I’m taking it too seriously, but to me not selecting a key player is as much of a trap as selecting ones that arguably don’t perform. We’ll see.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yep to your definition as well ☺️

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Post by CBN »

You'll need a bigger net soon Block.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

CBN wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 19:27You'll need a bigger net soon Block.

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

zipnolan wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 16:01I’m taking it too seriously, but to me not selecting a key player is as much of a trap as selecting ones that arguably don’t perform. We’ll see.
Why do you think you're taking it too seriously?

I think that's a very good point.

Charade
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Charade »

Wasn't Toney unavailable for large chunks of last season? I have him currently and think he'll do better than 7m, though I'll swap to Broja if that goes through.

goooner
Red & Blue Braces

Post by goooner »

I think Biggest trap of all is Pedro Neto.
Why would you want Neto when you have Bruno G. And Martinelli for 0,5 more and Bailey for 0,5 less? Even Benrahma or Gordon
Problem with Wolves is that they have a crap offence. So it doesnt matter if hes at a good pricepoint. Could manage some countersttacks but thats about it

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

Martial Pulling up trees in pre-season, All aboard :P

hayesag
Dumbledore
FS Record: piss poor

Post by hayesag »

if Salah is a trap then the thought of Liverpool competing for the title is an entire trap in itself.....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

hayesag wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 10:57 if Salah is a trap then the thought of Liverpool competing for the title is an entire trap in itself.....
A tad OTT, but whether he will justify his price with Diaz 5m cheaper is debatable?

Everton - were they lucky to stay up? Is FFL a Prem manager?

Leeds.

hayesag
Dumbledore
FS Record: piss poor

Post by hayesag »

blahblah wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 11:18
hayesag wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 10:57 if Salah is a trap then the thought of Liverpool competing for the title is an entire trap in itself.....
A tad OTT, but whether he will justify his price with Diaz 5m cheaper is debatable?

Everton - were they lucky to stay up? Is FFL a Prem manager?

Leeds.
Everton i feel will be in a relegation battle from the get go. Frank will do well to still be in that job by the jan transfer window

The point i was making with Salah - if he underperforms then so does the first XI

His goal output has just become even more important with no Mane to take the burden off his shoulders. The new guys will need time to get upto speed and if Jota is injured...well we will see :)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Salah and Lpool: I think you are paying Diaz something of a disservice, but I am expecting Nunes to take a while to evolve. If Jota isn't fit, then Firmino or even Carvhallo could step up. On the flip side, if the defence is solid then they won't need to score many?

This is probably better in the Lpool thread, but Salah is by no means a must have in FPL, and wasn't last season.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”