To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Great TV Series

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 30 May 2022, 15:42
forestfan wrote:
murf wrote: 30 May 2022, 15:07 Anything worth watching on Amazon Prime?

On a free month's trial so there is time for a binge if there is a worthwhile series

(No, not Top Gear!)
Vikings was the only thing I really watched on there, there’s about six or seven series though so you’d do well to binge it in a month!
A poor man's Last Kingdom?

Reluctant to start something I know I can't finish.....
I haven’t got around to watching Last Kingdom so can’t compare the two!

I’d just binge on free next day deliveries of any old crap, if you’re struggling for TV shows ;)

Lister
Grumpy Old Baggie
FS Record: Won a few golf things a long time ago!!

Post by Lister »

murf wrote: 30 May 2022, 15:20
Lister wrote:If boxing interests you I thought Fallen Soldier was very good a documentary about Gerald Mcclellan.
Thanks, not really my thing.

Turned over in the middle of an Ali documentary the other week. I got quite into it and it was well done but it went on for ages about little things. Had started for me around his ' ban' and return which was informative but the build up to his next fights really dragged. Then I found out there was something like 8 one-hour parts to it! A bit much for me.
Yes these things can drag on.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I don’t see the point in spinning a documentary out to drama series length. Three or four episodes at most is generally sufficient.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 30 May 2022, 15:50 I don’t see the point in spinning a documentary out to drama series length. Three or four episodes at most is generally sufficient.
It depends on the topic for me. The 3 Part thing on the Maxwells was full of holes and hardly touched a few topics.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

@Murf
I can recommend Goliath with Billy Bob. Then Mr Robot (S1 and last one particularly was really good).

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

happyhoppy wrote:@Murf
I can recommend Goliath with Billy Bob. Then Mr Robot (S1 and last one particularly was really good).
Oh and Dark was good.

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Moon Knight »

All seven seasons of Bosch are worth a look. I really liked ‘Man in the High Castle’ but suspect it’s an acquired taste.

The ‘All or Nothing’ fly on the wall documentaries are all decent watches. Haven’t seen the Arsenal one yet but enjoyed the Manchester City, Tottenham and Juventus series.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Yep man in the high castle was ok. Didn’t get on with Bosch.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

The Boys seems to be one people are raving about, though sounds a bit superhero-y which doesn’t really appeal to me. Only just discovered that was on Amazon Prime via a TV ad.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 30 May 2022, 15:54
forestfan wrote: 30 May 2022, 15:50 I don’t see the point in spinning a documentary out to drama series length. Three or four episodes at most is generally sufficient.
It depends on the topic for me. The 3 Part thing on the Maxwells was full of holes and hardly touched a few topics.
The Londongrad one coming up on Sky looks interesting, not sure how long a series that is.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Anyone rate madmen? Was thinking of giving it a go.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

There is a new Borgen on Netflix.

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

Not been on here for ages and not started BCS yet as I'm still doing BB - only got about 4 episodes to do of last season (S5). Then there's a BB film isn't there - El Camino - after which I plan to do the spin off BCS. So much out there I must have over 50 shows on the go, it's a full time job (I enjoy).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

50 shows :shock: I’m struggling to keep up with a handful of things I want to watch at the moment, though the end of the football season should help! One episode left of The Staircase, interesting true crime-based series… haven’t started Stranger Things new series yet, also want to watch the “Londongrad” documentary (Sky/Now), Outlaws S2 and the BBC’s new series Sherwood. Been getting up to speed with Ted Lasso as a bit of light relief.

Of course BCS back next month for the final fling, then there’s the blockbuster battle between Amazon’s LOTR and HBO’s House of the Dragon coming up. Hope they live up to the hype in more than just special effects.

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

I have another 20+ shows not started on a waiting list to slip into the rotation when I get done with enough of my existing ones. I review ones when I finish them in a FB group and been on a binge watch the last month or so managing to finish 3 or 4 shows - think I might transplant my reviews to here, see what others think if seen the same shows or maybe it gives more ideas for things to watch - though I am notirously tight with my grades?

Also my key is this:

THE GUIDE - (BLM’s TV Series Ratings Key)

0 - SUICIDE IS PREFERABLE
1 - WILL SEND YOU TO SLEEP - PERMANENTLY!
2 - BORING AS HELL
3 - BAD
4 - IF YOU HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO
5 - WORTH WATCHING
6 - GOOD
7 - GREAT
8 - SUPERB
9 - TOTALLY AWESOME - STRAIGHT OUT OF TV SERIES HEAVEN
10 - BETTER THAN SEX!

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bluelionman »

Okay, I said I would transpose stuff here from my FB TV & Box Set review group over on FB for things I finsihed recently - I am sure I see this ages ago but had never reviewed it so watched it again when bored and looking for something to watch one night... binged all 4 episodes back to back.

SECRET STATE (2012) - 5/10 (Worth Watching)

SEASON 1 EPISODES 4

Plot: In the run up to a general election, a devastating industrial accident on Teesside leaves 19 people dead and raises questions about the safety procedures of a US petrochemical company, PetroFex. The British prime minister claims to have secured a compensation package from them, but on his return from PetroFex HQ, his plane crashes in the Atlantic under mysterious circumstances. Deputy Prime Minister Tom Dawkins (Gabriel Byrne) takes command, and during his quest to find the truth and get justice for the victims, he uncovers a conspiracy at the heart of the political system.

I enjoyed 'Secret State'. The series stars Gabriel Byrne, Charles Dance and Gina McKee. Byrne is his usual doleful self which, in this case, is good. He has inherited the position as PM due to the death / murder of his predecessor. That being the case he is faced with the task of discovering how and why his predecessor died, unraveling the dark relationships between government, banks and big industry which might have led to the previous PM's death.

The series is limited to four episodes (approximately 45 minutes each - minus adverts - give or take a few mins) and so it does not feel bloated or filled with red-herrings and blind-alleys to pad it out. In fact something actually happens in each episode, something which will lead to the series' resolution. Personally I feel this 4-part series is well worth a watch.

Watch on 4OD for free if in the UK (or you know how to use a VPN) here:

https://www.channel4.com/.../secret.../ ... /48679-001
Last edited by bluelionman on 17 Jun 2022, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I remember that, it was quite good tbh.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

blahblah wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 12:14 There is a new Borgen on Netflix.
This picked up to be quite good. The slow start might have been because I've seen her in other stuff and her range is rather limited....

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bluelionman »

*WOLF (2018) - 6/10 (Good)

[Native Turkish title - Börü]
{*in Turkish with English subtitles}

1 SEASON / *6 EPISODES / TURKEY
(*Followed by a film with the same title)

This is the series that finally got me to subscribe to Netflix for the first time - as I could not find this series elsewhere on line with English subtitles - that I need as I don't speak Turkish. I wanted to see this ever since I see a film online with the same title that seemed good but confusing as it seemed to jump straight into like the middle of a plot and I had no idea what was going on, who the bad guys were and who the good guys were.

Turns out the film is the ending to this TV series - funny thing is Netflix doesn't carry the film and so after I see this series I then had to go find the film again elsewhere to re-watch it. Doing research online the film is like the final two episodes as the series was so popular in Turkey that the producers made the final two episodes into a theatrical film and released it in cinemas there. Really it should be an 8 part TV series online in my oponion as seeing the series without the ending of the film cheats you as it doesn't finish the story and seeing the film without the preceeding TV series you have no idea who's who and not what's really going on behind the scenes and why people are acting as they are against one another though the action is still good.

The plot revolves around the lives of Turkey's Police Special Operations Teams, covering several years of Turkish history beginning in 2014. A really intense show with very good subplots telling a good story about both the sacrifices soldiers and police make for the innocent civillian populus and the threats faced internally by differing polotical factions from the perspective of those same soldiers / police. It shows the real face of war against terrorism both foreign and domestic, along with the high cost paid by those who choose to serve. I get the feeling this is losely based on real events within Turkey, failed coup attemps and what have you.

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bluelionman »

SHOOTER (2016-2018) - 5/10 (Worth Watching)

SEASONS 3 / EPISODES 31

Premise: (Just like the film) A highly decorated ex-Marine sniper returns to action to foil an assassination plot targeting the president, but soon finds himself framed for murder.

Shooter is an American drama television series based on the 2007 film of the same name and the 1993 novel Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter. I would say the fist season though rediclious is the best of the three. All are worth watching but you really do have to suspend reality. The original premise was a good story with lots of potential. Season one had a good story, a slightly different take on the original film. However, the former Marine sniper was turned into Jason Bourne; master of spycraft, hand-to-hand combat, national security, terrorism, international drug cartels, with a new Bond type arch-enemy in every season. Predictable with the good guy coming out on top in the end. UNREALISTIC TO SAY THE LEAST!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4181172/reference/

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Got a Netflix alert email about Korean Money Heist… I presume Spanish Squid Game is next in the pipeline? ;)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I binged Sherwood the other evening, and it's very watchable but a tad dour.

tenpinterry
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 214th (15/16), 734rd (13/14), 650th (08/09), 507th (07/08) & 132nd (06/07)
Mail - 47th (11/12)
Telegraph - 98th (14/15)

Post by tenpinterry »

hancockjr wrote: 20 May 2022, 13:09 Have read all the books - does the TV series follow them, do you know.
Nort sure if anyone responded later but the 7th season covers "The Wrong side of Goodbye". It followed the book very well (in my view)

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Well the return of Saul didn’t disappoint what an episode 608 was. IMDb 9.9 same as 607. The quality of this series is just different gravy. Good to see it up for some emmys at last ridiculous it hasn’t won any to date.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

happyhoppy wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 20:42 Well the return of Saul didn’t disappoint what an episode 608 was. IMDb 9.9 same as 607. The quality of this series is just different gravy. Good to see it up for some emmys at last ridiculous it hasn’t won any to date.
Actually doesn’t seem that long since part 1 ended, will get back to it when I’ve caught up on Stranger Things… which I’m really enjoying this series though slightly annoying that every episode is pretty much feature-length, messes with your evenings a bit!

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:I binged Sherwood the other evening, and it's very watchable but a tad dour.
Just finishe Sherwood. Our version of binging is 6 episodes over 6 nights!

I thought it was good to very good. Sooooooo many good actors and a good script. Very watchable.

Anybody watched Suspect with James Nesbitt? We are planning on giving up after a crap first episode.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

murf wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 21:40
blahblah wrote:I binged Sherwood the other evening, and it's very watchable but a tad dour.
Just finishe Sherwood. Our version of binging is 6 episodes over 6 nights!

I thought it was good to very good. Sooooooo many good actors and a good script. Very watchable.

Anybody watched Suspect with James Nesbitt? We are planning on giving up after a crap first episode.
I was relatively less impressed (with Sherwood) - especially the strange sub plot of the guy who killed his daughter in law - really didn't see the point. It did pick up at the end though. Average to good.

Guppings
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Distant memory

Post by Guppings »

blahblah wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 10:45 I binged Sherwood the other evening, and it's very watchable but a tad dour.
Think it was meant to be dour :?:

Nothing wrong with the cast but the story line was confused imho.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Guppings wrote: 13 Jul 2022, 12:48
blahblah wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 10:45 I binged Sherwood the other evening, and it's very watchable but a tad dour.
Think it was meant to be dour :?:

Nothing wrong with the cast but the story line was confused imho.
I mean it portrayed the "it's grim up north" thang....

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”