To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

fanteam FULL SEASON game 22/23

FanTeam - Fantasy Premier League
quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

fanteam FULL SEASON game 22/23

Post by quizking »

Proper full season game from FanTeam now live, only one entry per person (for each pot I guess) is the new twist. several progressive pots, entry levels at €5, €50 etc. Much lower guarantee than last year.
2 wildcards, currently saying 1 to be used "for" gw16 and 1 "for" gw 38, not "by" gw 16 and 38, i think this is a typo or just a poor translation for now, long time to sort details though.

LoneGunner
Treebeard

Re: fanteam FULL SEASON game 22/23

Post by LoneGunner »

Shame it is single entry; I don't think it needs to be as restrictive as it is. Capping entries at 10, as per the half-season game, would have been ideal (for me).

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

Wow they seem really unhappy that Piggy ran off with most of the prize pool last season. I guess they are concerned that 10 entries will be enough to take most of the top 10 prizes if someone plays a blinder.

aurora
FISOhead

Post by aurora »

given it's one entry per person this season it's not exactly going to be a massively progressive prize pool, they need 6024 entries to cover the 25k guarantee, I'd hazard a guess there were around 20,000 unique entrants from the 37000 teams last season, if that was met again give or take, are we not looking at a jackpot prize of around 10k tops? not exactly enticing though it makes good business sense as their huge loss leading jackpot prizes for this game were unsustainable, can probably expect something similar with the Champions League games as well.

The half season game is more attractive to me, 10 max entries for a 16 week game seems good, also like the fact you can save as many transfer as you want (in both games) rather than just 2 which was restrictive.

LoneGunner
Treebeard

Post by LoneGunner »

It will be interesting to see the level of take-up. Given how many people play FPL, if the game is marketed correctly they could entice a lot of casual players with the low entry price point and offer of actual cash prizes - rather than a tea cosy or whatever is on offer for winning FPL.

Although disappointing to lose the chance of a mega payout, at least this should put the game and platform on a more stable footing and hopefully contribute to long-term viability and growth.

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Yorkshire Exile »

According to Frank @ffstuff there were 14k unique entrants. You have to question how many if those were enticed by the 200k top prize.

I think they will make the guarantee but a seasobn of slog to double your 4 quid entry by finishing in the places below 1000 seems an exercise in futility

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

Prizes are awful - how can you go from a top prize of 200K all of the way down to 3K the following season?! I don't think I will bother entering taking into account the amount of effort that needs to be put in throughout the season for such a meagre payout. I will be targeting the first half game like aurora.

aurora
FISOhead

Post by aurora »

based on those unique entries from last season, probably looking at closer to 6k jackpot as 10% of the prizepool goes to the winner, should be more top heavy, they spread the total number of prize winners way too thinly, top prize should be getting 50%, it'd sell the game better as well as a soundbite. Maybe and hopefully they've got bigger plans for the World Cup. I find it strange however that fantasy football comps across the board are dwindling in top prize pay out offers for their seasonal games. You'd have thought in this day and gambling age it'd have gone the other way, the demise of Dreamteam in particular is a standout, their weekly, monthly and season games were huge and had great continual interest all season long, but slowly and surely they started to wind them down over the years, lowering jackpots followed by canning of the short formats games. a bit like concord maybe fantasy football was ahead of its time, the Mirror 'you the winner' just gave up. Must be something to do with new media taking more of a market share from old media and their profits just aren't what they use to be, I know the Sun a while ago stopped stating how many copies they sold because they were no longer top dog. Also don't know why fpl doesn't charge everyone £1 for their team and offer some real tangible prize money there as well give the numbers they get.

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

The problem with FPL is that it is easily hackable with many of the big accounts being hacked over the years. It is easier to stomach that whilst there's no serious money at stake.

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

aurora wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 00:19 based on those unique entries from last season, probably looking at closer to 6k jackpot as 10% of the prizepool goes to the winner, should be more top heavy, they spread the total number of prize winners way too thinly, top prize should be getting 50%, it'd sell the game better as well as a soundbite. Maybe and hopefully they've got bigger plans for the World Cup. I find it strange however that fantasy football comps across the board are dwindling in top prize pay out offers for their seasonal games. You'd have thought in this day and gambling age it'd have gone the other way, the demise of Dreamteam in particular is a standout, their weekly, monthly and season games were huge and had great continual interest all season long, but slowly and surely they started to wind them down over the years, lowering jackpots followed by canning of the short formats games. a bit like concord maybe fantasy football was ahead of its time, the Mirror 'you the winner' just gave up. Must be something to do with new media taking more of a market share from old media and their profits just aren't what they use to be, I know the Sun a while ago stopped stating how many copies they sold because they were no longer top dog. Also don't know why fpl doesn't charge everyone £1 for their team and offer some real tangible prize money there as well give the numbers they get.
Exactly points i have made on twitter.

https://twitter.com/Yorkshire_Exile/sta ... OrzMA&s=19

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: ?

Post by itslikebrandnew »

aurora wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 00:19Also don't know why fpl doesn't charge everyone £1 for their team and offer some real tangible prize money there as well give the numbers they get.
Probably something to do with needing a gambling license when you start taking money no matter how small to give out prizes. I think it's why dreamteam went free.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 13:03
aurora wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 00:19Also don't know why fpl doesn't charge everyone £1 for their team and offer some real tangible prize money there as well give the numbers they get.
Probably something to do with needing a gambling license when you start taking money no matter how small to give out prizes.
Exactly. Furthermore they would be further discouraged by the fact that any paid game would probably have to be restricted to British and Irish managers. Running a game for UK & RoI only shouldn't be too challenging, but they probably can't be arsed and although interesting and beneficial for UK managers, they believe that they themselves (Premier League), for whose benefit the game is primarily run, wouldn't get a sufficient additional benefit.

aurora
FISOhead

Post by aurora »

the sun have a gambling license, they run sunbets, they were put in a position like with all games where they either had to charge everyone or charge nothing, so they made it free, as they're used to be a league for both. It would not be difficult for epl to gain a gambling license in this country, there are a million fly by night bookies, but of course more restrictive elsewhere, just for UK punters could work if they wanted it to, but I think most people that play it made do with lucrative private leagues anyway.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

Thanks to both GDPR and new gambling regs, every customer of a bookie (online) and hence every entrant in a paid ff game would have to have both address and age/i.d. checks made on them. Red tape was restrictive when I looked at setting up a FF business back in the nineties - it's 100x worse now, which is partly why so many of those "fly-by-night" bookies have closed, partly why the "ultimate" FPL didn't last, .and why sky can still run a game with prizes for skybet members, as they have already been "vetted" (and the admin for that vetting entails costs too, £2 pp when I last asked, would be more now).
FPL's main purpose is to promote the premier league - and that's worldwide; Egypt has the second largest number of FPL entries outside the UK, so it's working in that respect. 9 million entrants with virtually no prizes. I'd guess that if 2FA is brought in, that entry number might fall - a lot of those entries will be multiple entrants going for weekly bets, we'll see soon.

But back to fanteam - see their discord channel (no, me neither, I didn't know what that even meant until very recently, and am not a fan now) for some positive input from their head of product (Nikos) with reasoning for their decisions, and some reasoned discussion from both sides as to pros and cons of single versus multiple entries etc. and how this might play out across other season games and indeed other sports.

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

aurora wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 23:52 the sun have a gambling license, they run sunbets, they were put in a position like with all games where they either had to charge everyone or charge nothing, so they made it free, as they're used to be a league for both. It would not be difficult for epl to gain a gambling license in this country, there are a million fly by night bookies, but of course more restrictive elsewhere, just for UK punters could work if they wanted it to, but I think most people that play it made do with lucrative private leagues anyway.
What a joke sunbets was - I remember when they offered a bet on that fat non-league keeper eating a pie during their F.A Cup tie with Arsenal which came in as a winner :lol:

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

More business news re scout group - over half of their staff are getting sacked;

https://igamingbusiness.com/scout-gamin ... lack-hole/

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

Things are looking messier. Might just stick to the weeklies this season, will leave it right up to the deadline until deciding whether to enter 1st half game. Season game a no-goer for me as things stand with all of these problems.

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2016 SDT Knockout Cup Winner. 5th Overall in SDT 2016 European Comp, 3rd overall in SDT Euro 2016 Comp

Post by RickyRosa »

It’s ‘only’ £50 to enter the two pots for the seasonal though Block…not a huge amount to lose if they do go belly up and In reality just as much risk entering the half seasonal if not more as you will probably enter more teams in that.

I actually prefer the weekly games but think that just the one team is actually a good thing for me as I struggle to manage the larger portfolios but also know if I do not enter a large number of teams in seasons gone by I’m at a disadvantage to the big multis.

As for cutting staff, every one is or has.

aurora
FISOhead

Post by aurora »

one thing fanteam could do to encourage more activity on their site is to introduce a forum

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

RickyRosa wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 12:40 It’s ‘only’ £50 to enter the two pots for the seasonal though Block…not a huge amount to lose if they do go belly up and In reality just as much risk entering the half seasonal if not more as you will probably enter more teams in that.

I actually prefer the weekly games but think that just the one team is actually a good thing for me as I struggle to manage the larger portfolios but also know if I do not enter a large number of teams in seasons gone by I’m at a disadvantage to the big multis.

As for cutting staff, every one is or has.
Are the games still +EV with a 17% rake though? Would you enter a poker tournament with a 17% rake?

I'm put off entering until the rake comes right down, 10% max seems reasonable.

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

They should cap rake or have a denuding % as entries grow....

I am confident over the course of a season i can still turn a profit. Half season and shorter games i am generally useless at. My roi on seasonals is probably +100% but it drops off as i have casual stabs at weeklies etc

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

Only massive overlay will tempt me (which has occurred in the past), otherwise the house is the clear winner in this one.

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2016 SDT Knockout Cup Winner. 5th Overall in SDT 2016 European Comp, 3rd overall in SDT Euro 2016 Comp

Post by RickyRosa »

Great discussion.

I wouldn’t be entering a lot of poker games with a 17% rake that’s for sure…but would I play the Sunday million on poker stars as a one off for a laugh, absolutely.

I see this as the same…if I was seriously making a run at it then for sure it’s going to eat into my ROI but I do like to play and there’s lots of dead money about so deep down don’t even think about it tbh!

Has made me think twice about entering the half
Seasonal game though as I’m in the two pots for
The full season single entry….I was thinking about ten in the half seasonal but honestly it’s not the money or the take for me….it’s the bloody time, I’m sure I’d screw my subs up and it’s just then a waste of money…

I’ll probably Chuck one in just to try and maximise my one template
Format and make changes to all 3 of my teams in one go….

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

The dreamsport games have launched this afternoon - same engine as fanteam, but as suspected, there are no longer any cash prizes; they haven't had any for any sport for a couple of months, don't see the point of that website at all now.

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

It's a lot tougher to draft a team compared to last season. Premium defenders all bumped up in price and cheapest mid/striker is 4.5 and 5.0 respectively when last season we could get base players for 4.0 in these positions.

I'm already starting to miss Baah and Hirst :(

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

The entry numbers are very poor.... I know there will be a last minute flurry but i dont think they make the guarantee.... Which doesnt bode well for their sustainability.

Last year i had 30 entries. This year 1. So that is 29 new customers they need to find.

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Post by CBN »

Entries are very disappointing :(

aurora
FISOhead

Post by aurora »

they are but I'll be positive and say that there's still 17 days to go and a lot of people are away on holiday. They're probably sitting on their deckchairs by the hotel pool, pondering whether to have Salah for 12.5 or Haaland for 12 IMO.

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

The general consensus amongst the FPL crew is that you're going to need both Salah and Haaland. It's a lot easier to do in that game compared to Fanteam. It's funny how they went from having identical player prices to FPL in the launch season to now having some quite large discrepancies.

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Post by CBN »

Yeah a good side in FPL looks nothing like a good side in FT this year...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FanTeam”