To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Metal Hip Replacements

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Metal Hip Replacements

Post by blahblah »

He is hardly a role model for the almost educated 😂🤣. 🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

unc.si. wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 21:47 Had the staples out today, all 35 of them 😀

Up to walking about a mile a day with a bit of support from crutches. All the pain I used to get has gone. Just still a bit bruised and muscles getting used to having a joint that works properly again (and a leg that’s longer than it used to be)

Someone should tell Liam Gallagher to stop being a twit and get his fixed…
Glad to hear the pain has gone, Unc 😎👍

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Consultant discharged me yesterday. Only restriction is not bending down to 'touching toes' type extent. I'll always have a slightly higher risk of dislocation but I've had that with my shoulder for the last 30 odd years and lived OK with that.

2 months ago every step was painful and I couldn't walk more than 10 minutes before the pain got pretty unbearable and I had to stop for a rest. Now I'm walking 5 miles a day (average daily distance for the last week has been 8km) with no crutches and no pain other than a bit of soreness under the scar.

I'm allowed back on my bike again now as well (indoors only for a while though until the bone's fully knitted to the implant just in case of falling off).

Amazing really. If anyone is struggling with hip issues get to the doctor, get it x-rayed and get your name on the waiting list if its too bad for physio alone to fix.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Good stuff Unc.

I was struggling with one hip and had arthritis diagnosed 2 and a half years ago. All sorts of aches etc connected to that including my back.

Has been a lot better since I started doing pilates. Seems really good at helping you and your joints stay supple.

Last week I even did my best 5k running time for over 3 years.

Not saying it will help if you've had a hip replacement (we usually start by bending to try and touch our toes!) but I'll recommend it for anybody reading this who iscslowly falling apart.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Cheers! - Never tried Pilates but I did try some Yoga (which is pretty similar I guess) to try to stave off the inevitable and a couple of my mates swear by it. My sister is in her 60's and an Ultra runner and she does Yoga to keep her flexible.

Took about 5 years for me to get to the point where the cartilage had gone completely and new bone ridges started getting in the way of the joint moving. All on one side as a result of sports injuries from 35 years ago. The other side is OK but the radiographers verdict on that side was basically 'its eff'

I think some people can stop it getting worse with exercise and then maybe cope with painkillers, and its a big enough operation that you don't want it done unless you have to, but if it gets to the point of no return I can definitely say that the operation a life changer.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I was looking at yoga but I think pilates is probably better for me personally as it is mostly just stretching and, if done well, does all muscles and joints. Got to be good for anyone to do this sort of thing as well as 'sport'.

Heard one guy in my class (a rarity - they are mostly women) saying how he'd won his class in an Ironman comp in France last week so can't be bad. I'm a bit away from ultras and triathlons but I am trying to push up my running distance to a half marathon in September. Was glad it was postponed (pandemic) last time I started doing that as the longer practices running were starting to hurt too much afterwards. So far, so good but I'm only up to 12km!

If your cartilage goes then not much you can do about that but yoga/pilates should help slow anything down by reducing stress on joints in the first place.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”