To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pub Talk & Matchday Banter 2021/22

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Moon Knight »

Roma finished 7th last season.

Not saying he’s hasn’t lost some of his spark but I think he’s unjustly disrespected by some.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Re: The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pub Talk & Matchday Banter 2021/22

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Mourinho has done very well at Roma and is unfairly denigrated but I agree with SP and others, it would be stupid for Newcastle to dump Howe, he could hardly have done a better job for them. The studies he undertook after leaving Bournemouth (notably with Simeone at AM) have clearly improved him as a manager; his weakness always used to be in the defensive solidity of his teams but there's no sign of that at Newcastle. He has distinctly improved a number of his players - Joelinton is far from a laughing stock nowadays, Schär's resurgence, ASM more dangerous - and has got a good tune out of the new signings as well. Team spirit seems good and the connection with the fans is good. Why change that after 6 months?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, and they seem to have developed a great team spirit, why bring in a manager with an ever-increasing reputation for destroying that? Maybe it would help attract a few big name mercenaries, who wants to be Newcastle’s equivalent of Robinho/Mutu etc? ;)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Magic wrote: 17 May 2022, 07:49
Ruth_NZ wrote: 16 May 2022, 22:49Arteta reminds me very much of AVB. :wink:
Arteta reminds me of Ole.

Former fan favourite brought back and achieving some success but with a very obvious ceiling.

Wonder if it will implode just the same next season?
Ole was plucked straight from obscurity in Norway with the intention of providing a temporary morale boost, and wasn’t in the frame for any other PL jobs. Arteta was a Pep disciple tipped for big things, he could have got a job slightly lower down with say Everton and was a gamble for Arsenal but not just a fan-pleasing appointment (if they just wanted that, they’d have gone for Henry or Tony Adams or someone…)

5th place is probably around par for the course, no Europe has obviously helped but then again, Spurs went out of their Euro competition and the domestic cups early. It’s a case of a couple of steps forward and a couple back though, and next season must be make or break for him.

hayesag
Dumbledore
FS Record: piss poor

Post by hayesag »

Arteta was brought in cos he was cheap. no other reason :wink:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

hayesag wrote: 17 May 2022, 11:56 Arteta was brought in cos he was cheap. no other reason :wink:
Well, Arsenal’s way isn’t to have a chequebook manager, they’re still very much in the Wenger mindset and doesn’t look like that will change under current ownership. The big signings they have made like Pepe haven’t paid off, they’re investing more in home-grown/British youth which has produced some positive signs but you need more than that (and some Xhaka fouls ;) ) to give the team a tougher edge and challenge those with deeper pockets.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

forestfan wrote: 17 May 2022, 11:49 Yeah, and they seem to have developed a great team spirit, why bring in a manager with an ever-increasing reputation for destroying that? Maybe it would help attract a few big name mercenaries, who wants to be Newcastle’s equivalent of Robinho/Mutu etc? ;)
I legitimately think that could be Salah after his contract expires at Liverpool. I'd love him to sign an extension in the summer (and really hope he does), but he could potentially be offered mega money at Newcastle if he does decide to leave next year.

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

Mav3rick wrote: 17 May 2022, 13:44Salah after his contract expires at Liverpool. I'd love him to sign an extension in the summer (and really hope he does), but he could potentially be offered mega money at Newcastle if he does decide to leave next year.
That would be the statement signing of all statement signings.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Mav3rick wrote:
forestfan wrote:Yeah, and they seem to have developed a great team spirit, why bring in a manager with an ever-increasing reputation for destroying that? Maybe it would help attract a few big name mercenaries, who wants to be Newcastle’s equivalent of Robinho/Mutu etc? ;)
I legitimately think that could be Salah after his contract expires at Liverpool. I'd love him to sign an extension in the summer (and really hope he does), but he could potentially be offered mega money at Newcastle if he does decide to leave next year.
Signings like that will probably rely on Newcastle having European competition in the 23/24 season. 4th is likely beyond them next season but 6th (and EL) looks very feasible and a domestic cup isn't out of the question - Newcastle fans would love an FA Cup win, for example.

There are a whole number of interesting questions about next season. How will Haaland fit in at City? How much will Liverpool decline, if at all? How will Chelsea come out of the current situation? What effect will Ten Hag have at United and how quick will the recovery be? Will Conte still be at Spurs and how much backing will he be given in the summer? How will playing EL affect Arsenal in the PL? What additions will Newcastle make and how much will they improve? Will West Ham keep hold of Rice and will they get a decent striker in as cover for Antonio? Those are the most obvious top-8 contenders but it would be hard to predict in what order right now, other than City as champions.

hayesag
Dumbledore

Post by hayesag »

Dont rule out Leicester. i think they will make a charge for the top 6 again with no euro distractions and less injuries to deal with. They could really do with the next vardy coming through tho

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

hayesag wrote: 17 May 2022, 16:01 Dont rule out Leicester. i think they will make a charge for the top 6 again with no euro distractions and less injuries to deal with. They could really do with the next vardy coming through tho
Yeah, they’ve brought in plenty of pretenders but none has seized the throne. They can’t be so reliant on a 35-year-old going forwards. I think part of the reason he’s kept his level up so long is that he doesn’t have the “miles on the clock” of someone in the top level professional game from an early age, but injuries are starting to catch up with him now.

I do wonder if they’ve peaked for the time being at least and Rodgers might be looking for a way out while his stock is still quite high.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 17 May 2022, 16:24
hayesag wrote: 17 May 2022, 16:01 Dont rule out Leicester. i think they will make a charge for the top 6 again with no euro distractions and less injuries to deal with. They could really do with the next vardy coming through tho
Yeah, they’ve brought in plenty of pretenders but none has seized the throne. They can’t be so reliant on a 35-year-old going forwards. I think part of the reason he’s kept his level up so long is that he doesn’t have the “miles on the clock” of someone in the top level professional game from an early age, but injuries are starting to catch up with him now.

I do wonder if they’ve peaked for the time being at least and Rodgers might be looking for a way out while his stock is still quite high.
I've read that there will be some departures, and your Rodgers point is a good one.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 17 May 2022, 16:31
forestfan wrote: 17 May 2022, 16:24

I've read that there will be some departures, and your Rodgers point is a good one.
Especially as the fans don’t seem to have particularly taken to him considering what he’s achieved. As has been said before, he does have that slightly Brenty quality that makes him a bit hard to really warm to.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

It'll have to be abroad?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well yeah, there’s no obvious English job available that’s a step up (unless Arsenal were to make a change perhaps, or Conte bigger off from Spurs…)

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Magic wrote: 17 May 2022, 07:36
Bob Newhart wrote: 16 May 2022, 19:50
Magic wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:18Boring, boring, awesome and funny.
Sounds like a firm of solicitors.
Beaten, battered, gutted and blownit - Arsenal solicitors from last night :lol:
Terribly Terribly Boring and Dull, Solicitors at Law (representing Man United's 2021/22 campaign).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Bob Newhart wrote: 17 May 2022, 17:25
Magic wrote: 17 May 2022, 07:36
Bob Newhart wrote: 16 May 2022, 19:50
Magic wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:18Boring, boring, awesome and funny.
Sounds like a firm of solicitors.
Beaten, battered, gutted and blownit - Arsenal solicitors from last night :lol:
Terribly Terribly Boring and Dull, Solicitors at Law (representing Man United's 2021/22 campaign).
Their numerous 4 and 5-goal defeats this season certainly weren’t boring ;) Nor were the Ronaldo-time comebacks, to add a bit of balance…

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

Talk about heavy rotation :shock:
Screenshot_20220517_184612.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

Picked the wrong one out of Jota and Dias :( - hope the latter comes on at some point.

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Moon Knight »

Klopp doesn’t fancy Villa getting anything out of City at the weekend then.

Multiple Scorgasms
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Multiple Scorgasms »

swadd1er wrote:Talk about heavy rotation :shock:
Screenshot_20220517_184612.jpg
Blah gets 12 points from his bench. If Pukki gets him the win....

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Love that from Klopp (even though I have 2 Pool def). Given a big eff you to the PL and FA for their scheduling. Ruin their 'product', Jurgen

Tootsie
Wideboy

Post by Tootsie »

Looks like I ll get my White 3rd sub -2 afterall.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

Redmond (Tella)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Johnson (Surridge) ;)

tarkens
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tarkens »

VAR really isnt on Liverpool’s side this season huh?

hayesag
Dumbledore

Post by hayesag »

forestfan wrote: 17 May 2022, 20:05 Johnson (Surridge) ;)
if your team cant get past dross huddersfield then no way do ya deserve a place in the prem :wink:

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Minamino (Jota)

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

hayesag wrote: 17 May 2022, 20:07
if your team cant get past dross huddersfield then no way do ya deserve a place in the prem :wink:
Uddersfield last night were poor but still won.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

jimmy ching wrote: 17 May 2022, 21:07
hayesag wrote: 17 May 2022, 20:07
Uddersfield last night were poor but still won.
That’s the way of the play-offs. 10 minutes has completely turned the momentum around here, we’re hanging on now.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”