To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Bitcoin Is The Future!

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Re: Bitcoin Is The Future!

Post by Mav3rick »

plasticninja wrote: 14 May 2022, 15:58 It's funny with the anti bitcoin guys, they all say it is going to zero, but none of them can say how this will happen.
On the other hand if you ask a pro bitcoin person why it is going to one million dollars they can offer a clear precise view on how and why it will happen.
I think the reason for that is simply that the pro side have to justify it as they need to convince someone to change behaviour. I find the reasons given are usually superficial and fairly easy to put holes in, or they come from a specific political perspective which people just can't be shaken from.

What I think we as investors need to be wary of is that people selling you the dream are themselves invested, it doesn't necessarily come from a place of objectiveness, and you need to understand their fundamental reasoning, especially if they are saying something you want to hear. This is more true than ever on social media, with its absolute shit show of scammers, liars and paid ads that aren't declared as so.

For me, it's safer to ignore all the promotion and just think about the tech and it's applications within or disrupting the current financial world.

Anti crypto views aren't necessarily objective either but that often comes from months or years of being shilled at by people who are just a bit too over the top about it. It's very easy to dismiss the whole thing as a Ponzi scheme, because basically that's exactly what it looks like if you don't have a vision of how BTC might fit in the financial future.

I'm not sure what I'd characterise myself as, I'm not a huge believer in BTC in all honesty (although I think being cynical about it helps me not get carried away), I think I back the greed and/or stupidity of humanity over financial or economic reality, and I enjoy the tech side of things.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Mav3rick wrote: 14 May 2022, 17:57
plasticninja wrote: 14 May 2022, 15:58 It's funny with the anti bitcoin guys, they all say it is going to zero, but none of them can say how this will happen.
On the other hand if you ask a pro bitcoin person why it is going to one million dollars they can offer a clear precise view on how and why it will happen.
I think the reason for that is simply that the pro side have to justify it as they need to convince someone to change behaviour. I find the reasons given are usually superficial and fairly easy to put holes in, or they come from a specific political perspective which people just can't be shaken from.
I guess it depends on who you have been listening to or reading in your case.

Here are some theories that I have heard recently that you may not of seen before.

1) Brand recognition.
Bitcoin will be the most famous brand in the world, bigger than Coca Cola.
No one owns the rights to bitcoin, anyone can profit from it. I can print up some bitcoin t-shirts and sell them on the internet if I want.
Try doing that with Coca Cola and see how far you get.

2) Game Theory.
The Gutenberg press affected the game theory of how the Church and State worked and how information was shared with the world.
Bitcoin has the same game theoretics as the Gutenberg press, but it is working toward separating the State from Money.
Knowledge is power!

3) The Cantillon Effect.
The Cantillon Effect describes how new money creation benefits those who receive the money first, at the expense of those furthest from the creation of new money. Bitcoin fixes this by only giving new bitcoins to ‘miners’ who secure the protocol – a more fair distribution.
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

As for my view on bitcoin, this clip pretty much sums up how I feel.

‘Bitcoin is a source. It’ll change your life – swear to god’ :lol:

This is how I see your view in some respects.
Later on in the movie Patrick Swayze’s character, Bodhi, says this.

"They don’t understand the sea, so they’ll never get the spiritual side of it
You still haven’t figured out what riding waves is all about have you?
It’s a state of mind. It’s that place when you lose yourself and where you find yourself."

Just a bit of fun, I hope you take it that way. :P

I am off to watch Point Break again. :wink:

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Still money to be made for those gambling, the stablecoin (UST) that collapsed so badly last week has had a spike in value of 150% in the last half hour. I'm not sure what caused it, but something back for those who lost 98% of their money but kept the coins I suppose.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Mav3rick wrote: 18 May 2022, 12:21 Still money to be made for those gambling, the stablecoin (UST) that collapsed so badly last week has had a spike in value of 150% in the last half hour. I'm not sure what caused it, but something back for those who lost 98% of their money but kept the coins I suppose.
If it dropped top 2% of its value then rose 150% it is still only at 5% of the original value.....

(appreciate it may have moved at other times as well)

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Mav3rick wrote: 18 May 2022, 12:21 Still money to be made for those gambling, the stablecoin (UST) that collapsed so badly last week has had a spike in value of 150% in the last half hour. I'm not sure what caused it, but something back for those who lost 98% of their money but kept the coins I suppose.
Good luck to them. A mate of mine invested in Terra, it was his best performing asset until a couple of weeks ago.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

murf wrote: 18 May 2022, 13:15
If it dropped top 2% of its value then rose 150% it is still only at 5% of the original value.....

(appreciate it may have moved at other times as well)
I think it has been slowly rising over the last few days and the spike took it to about 0.3 USD. It's supposed to be $1 (obviously!) so I guess id you'd stayed in you "only" lost 70% :shock:

It's actually dropped all the way back now, volatility is barely the word :lol:

That 98% loss might well have been Luna rather than UST by the way, looks like UST has lost a mere 90% of value now, where Luna is basically gone.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Nayib Bukele Announces 44 Countries to Meet in El Salvador to Discuss Bitcoin.
https://www.coindesk.com/policy/2022/05 ... countries/

According to President Bukele, El Salvador has invited 32 central banks and 12 financial authorities from different countries to discuss
financial inclusion, digital economy, banking the unbanked and the bitcoin rollout and it's benefits.

A veritable who's who of the financial world has been invited. :lol:

Set to attend the event are officials from countries such as Paraguay, Angola, Ghana, Namibia, Uganda, Guinea, Madagascar, Haiti, Burundi, Eswatini (Swaziland), Jordan, Gambia, the Honduras, Maldives, Rwanda, Nepal, Kenya, Pakistan, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Egypt, Nigeria, Senegal, Dominica, Mauritania, Congo, Armenia, and Bangladesh.

A lot of these countries don't have their own currencies and are exposed to other countries' monetary policies.

If you are into bitcoin this is very exciting news and if you are not maybe you should start paying attention. :wink:

Gradually, then suddenly.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

plasticninja wrote: 19 May 2022, 14:33 Nayib Bukele Announces 44 Countries to Meet in El Salvador to Discuss Bitcoin.

According to President Bukele, El Salvador has invited 32 central banks and 12 financial authorities from different countries to discuss
financial inclusion, digital economy, banking the unbanked and the bitcoin rollout and it's benefits.

Set to attend the event are officials from countries such as Paraguay, Angola, Ghana, Namibia, Uganda, Guinea, Madagascar, Haiti, Burundi, Eswatini (Swaziland), Jordan, Gambia, the Honduras, Maldives, Rwanda, Nepal, Kenya, Pakistan, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Egypt, Nigeria, Senegal, Dominica, Mauritania, Congo, Armenia, and Bangladesh.

A lot of these countries don't have their own currencies and are exposed to other countries' monetary policies.

If you are into bitcoin this is very exciting news and if you are not maybe you should start paying attention. :wink:

A veritable who's who of the financial world.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

RomynPG wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:04
plasticninja wrote: 19 May 2022, 14:33 Nayib Bukele Announces 44 Countries to Meet in El Salvador to Discuss Bitcoin.

A veritable who's who of the financial world.
The lurker has arrived. :lol:

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

plasticninja wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:14 The lurker has arrived. :lol:
Have you got a problem with me posting in this thread?

(Hardly a lurker by the way)

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

RomynPG wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:16
plasticninja wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:14 The lurker has arrived. :lol:
Have you got a problem with me posting in this thread?

(Hardly a lurker by the way)
Lurker definition; a person who lurks, in particular a user of an internet message board or chat room who does not participate.

I haven't got a problem with you posting at all, my point is you never actually post anything on this thread apart from a meme image or a snide comment.

Post away! :lol:

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

RomynPG participates and is not a lurker by any definition I know.

As for meaningful contributions, let's not cast too many stones shall we?
Last edited by Mav3rick on 19 May 2022, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

plasticninja wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:20 I haven't got a problem with you posting at all, my point is you never actually post anything on this thread apart from a meme image or a snide comment.
It's all it deserves.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Shills gonna shill.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Mav3rick wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:22 Romyn participates and is not a lurker.

As for meaningful contributions, let's not throw too many stones shall we?
Mav when I joined FISO back in 2005 it was a hive of activity, full of colourful characters but now only a few remain.
And I am beginning to understand why now.
It is a ghost town in comparison. I am just trying to generate some discussion.

As for your bum chum Mr Personality, RomynPG, he may contribute on other threads but on this thread he has posted next to nothing.
Like I say meme images or snide comments.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

RomynPG wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:23
plasticninja wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:20 I haven't got a problem with you posting at all, my point is you never actually post anything on this thread apart from a meme image or a snide comment.
It's all it deserves.
Case in point. :lol:

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Mav3rick wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:30 Shills gonna shill.
Haters gonna hate. :wink:

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/el-salvado ... 1652540400
El Salvador’s President Went All In on Bitcoin. Then It Tanked.

Bitcoin losses add to growing fears of a debt default under President Nayib Bukele

The plunging value of bitcoin has hurt investors in cryptocurrency everywhere. The stakes are especially high in El Salvador, the indebted Central American country whose president has spent hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer money buying bitcoin and rolling it out as a national currency.

The country’s planned placement of an exotic $1 billion bond that bets on a rise in bitcoin’s value has stalled, according to the country’s officials, and the market value of El Salvador’s $100 million in bitcoin holdings has dropped by about a third, squeezing the country’s finances further and raising the odds that it will default on its more than $24 billion in sovereign debt, economists say.
Bukele is clearly another stable genius.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Bukkake 😱😱😱

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

blahblah wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:52 Bukkake 😱😱😱
Could well be a complete mess :o

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

plasticninja wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:36
Mav3rick wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:30 Shills gonna shill.
Haters gonna hate. :wink:
It's not hating, I have lots of crypto as you know.

If you'd added why it's a special event or clarified who actually attended, whether they are policymakers, etc then fair enough, but what's there is just regurgitated (if not directly copy/pasted) spam from someone who's in turn shilling you.

Without adding any context or nuance, it's literally equivalent to posting a picture of a moon or an ape and as such it's damaging to the credibility of the ecosystem, which is why I personally don't like it and don't post stuff like that. If you cared about convincing people (actually helping BTC gain adoption) you'd stop too.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

RomynPG wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:55
blahblah wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:52 Bukkake 😱😱😱
Could well be a complete mess :o
I couldn't face it 🤦

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

plasticninja wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:33
Mav3rick wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:22 Romyn participates and is not a lurker.

As for meaningful contributions, let's not throw too many stones shall we?
Mav when I joined FISO back in 2005 it was a hive of activity, full of colourful characters but now only a few remain.
It is a ghost town in comparison. I am just trying to generate some discussion.

As for your bum chum Mr Personality, RomynPG, he may contribute on other threads but on this thread he has posted next to nothing.
I'm gonna put you on permanent block now because that's another personal insult and that's your three strikes.

I trust my fellow FISOers to know what you are doing and one of the reasons I gave up being a mod was so I didn't have to deal with posters like you in my spare time.
Last edited by Mav3rick on 19 May 2022, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

plasticninja wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:33 As for your bum chum Mr Personality, RomynPG, he may contribute on other threads but on this thread he has posted next to nothing.
Oh get you :lol:

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Newsflash!

Maverick blocks plasticninja again. :lol:
Last edited by plasticninja on 19 May 2022, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

plasticninja wrote: 19 May 2022, 15:33 Mav when I joined FISO back in 2005 it was a hive of activity, full of colourful characters but now only a few remain.
Is your understanding as to why FISO, and virtually every other forum on the web, has lost traffic when compared to 2005 connected to:-

a) Social media's rise
or
b) People being sarky to cryptobros

I'm going with a) personally but you do you.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

plasticninja wrote: 19 May 2022, 16:14 Newsflash!

I'm not sure why you're proud of it? You've essentially convinced another human being that you're such a chap that they can't even give you the time of day anymore, not sure that reflects as humorously on you as you think it does?

Anyway, as RomynPG says, you do you.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Mav3rick wrote: 19 May 2022, 16:27
plasticninja wrote: 19 May 2022, 16:14 Newsflash!

I'm not sure why you're proud of it? You've essentially convinced another human being that you're such a chap that they can't even give you the time of day anymore, not sure that reflects as humorously on you as you think it does?

Anyway, as RomynPG says, you do you.
I thought you blocked me, make up your mind. :lol:

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

Talking of 2005 .... bum chum ... really? :roll:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

😎😎😎😎 I'm the mature one here 😊😊😊

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”