To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The End for Amir Khan?

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

The End for Amir Khan?

Post by golden bear »

Another defeat and a pretty crushing one at that. He's lost too many fights now and the bollox he was taling about fighting Mayweather before the fight has backfired big time.

Big heart but he's got a glass jaw and he can't train that.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: The End for Amir Khan?

Post by forestfan »

Well, looks like he's not going to be in the Mayweather league but he's 25, he's probably got the best part of another decade in him, unless he goes really off the rails. Would surely take a few more defeats before he's reduced to fighting domestic nonentities?

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ...bears no responsibility for bad points forecasts
FS Record: 2nd TFFE 2008, FPL 3 top 10k finishes

Post by Patrician »

The ring is no place to be if you can't take a punch, and he does always seem to get himself into situations where he takes punches after the first round or two. He only looks good at the start of each fight when fresh, as soon as he takes a proper punch he's all over the place, drawn into a scrap. Will only get slower as he gets older

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, could always walk away from the money and get that missing Olympic gold in Rio I guess...

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

A shame. Likeable bloke too.

Shades of Naseem Hamed.

golden bear
Dumbledore

Post by golden bear »

I feel sorry for Amir. To be caught out by not one but two "lucky" knockout punches and a "disgusting points decision".

He can't be a Mayweather or a Leonard now.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

He's got loads of talent but can't take a decent shot. He's either got to learn to fight like Herol Graham or get out of the game. He's too young to retire yet but is probably too old to undo what he has learnt and box differently. By the time he's learnt what he's got to learn he won't have time to reach the standard of the legends of the game, but he does have the ability to be world champion once again.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

golden bear wrote:I feel sorry for Amir. To be caught out by not one but two "lucky" knockout punches and a "disgusting points decision".

He can't be a Mayweather or a Leonard now.
That's true, but did many people ever think he was likely to be that good?

He can still be a "box office" fighter for years to come, picking the right opponents and perhaps taking further world belts. Just depends if he is motivated to do so when his career has probably peaked at an early age, or if he goes into a downward spiral of fitness like Naseem, Hatton etc.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

A lot of tosh being said about khan

He is still a good fighter, a young fighter, and above all is box office, he is a couple of fights away from getting back into the frame to fight another big name.

His real problem is his punching power. He actually takes a fairly decent shot and has real guts.

But he just doesn't hurt anyone - he still punches like an amateur with fast points scoring hands but does not plant his feet to get leverage. As a result he doesn't put people away and his opponent always has a chance of landing a big shot and turning the fight around.

golden bear
Dumbledore

Post by golden bear »

So he can take a decent shot (but goes down like a cheap prostitute) AND has no punching power.

He's marketable but if he keeps losing, he won't be for long. The evidence seems to suggest he'll keep losing because he isn't learning even though he's been taught by the best.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, like nearly all boxers I guess he/his promoters will pick opponents who are not complete mugs but are confident he can beat. Certainly unlikely to take any risks with fight selection for a while.

golden bear
Dumbledore

Post by golden bear »

Problem is that his promoters were confident he could beat both Prescott and Garcia and he didn't. Anybody getting in the ring with him can go with the strategy of taking shots (because he can't punch with any power) and keep throwing out the big punches (because he can't take a shot) and have a 50% chance of winning.

Footy66
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2x Weekly Mini League Winner 2010-2011, 1 x WDT top 100 2011-2012.

Post by Footy66 »

I thought he had the potential to be one of the best boxers around but he has flopped too many times now.

I thought the Bredis Prescott knock out was just complacency on Amir's side. I thought he just got a bit cocky and that it would be a one-off. The Peterson fight was close, I am not sure which way that should have actually gone but again it was a fight he was supposed to win. The fight last night confirms he has been over-hyped.

I personally feel conned, I have believed he is one of the best boxers around, people say how quick he is but he has failed big time. He has made millions even though it turns out he is no way near the top of this sport.

I cannot see him coming back from this, not a chance in hell. I am no longer going to be brainwashed into thinking he is going to win every fight he goes into. Bullshit. Game Over. King Khan, more like Burger King Khan.

bigsheff
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bigsheff »

Kell brook has been calling khan out for a while, whilst its never really been an attractive fight for khan as brook is a bit of a nobody compared to fighting Vegas style - if brook gets the title shot he's due next time out & does the business this fight could be good payday for both of them & could make for a good fight.

em9999
Dumbledore
FS Record: Finished 23rd suns 2010 world cup game. Finished 2302 overall in The Suns Premier League game

Post by em9999 »

i wouldnt mind doing a few rounds against Khan hes a pussy

golden bear
Dumbledore

Post by golden bear »

em9999 wrote:i wouldnt mind doing a few rounds against Khan hes a pussy
I'd really like to see that fight.

bigsheff
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bigsheff »

He'd only have to whisper Arsene Wenger is a shit manager & you'd be on your knees :mrgreen:

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

bigsheff wrote:Kell brook has been calling khan out for a while, whilst its never really been an attractive fight for khan as brook is a bit of a nobody compared to fighting Vegas style - if brook gets the title shot he's due next time out & does the business this fight could be good payday for both of them & could make for a good fight.
That's one for a couple of year's time

Khan will want to get a rematch with Garcia first and it's a fight which would be a ticket seller - so I can see that happening unless Garcia is given a shot at a really big name now

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Will he need a new Trainer?

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 12th TFFE 09/10

Post by rossn13 »

He has a huge British Pakistani following that will always support him. Even if he's up against lesser known fighters he can still collect some tasty appearance fees. Boxing is as much about marketability as talent. Luckily the 2 usually go together!

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

blahblah wrote:Will he need a new Trainer?
Nah, he wears bidding boots

golden bear
Dumbledore

Post by golden bear »

Panic over! Wasn't Amir's fault he lost.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing ... ds-newsxml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

10 years later and he has retired (no boxing expert but I predicted another decade in 2012 :shock: )

Anyway, he lost some fights but he took on the absolute best during his career, certainly a British great even if not quite a global one.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Yes, always a slight doubt about him at the very highest level which seemed a bit harsh to me.
Interesting that it took the same 10 years for the Brook fight to happen and that was the ‘last bit of business’ for the pair of them

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”