To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Selling Wordle and Worldle from a website - now free

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Selling Wordle and Worldle from a website - now free

Post by Shaggy365 »

Greetings one & all.

Since everyone is playing Wordle, I thought I'd try and come up with a best solution. I believe I have a definitive list of solving every one of the 2,315 different words in 5 guesses or less (averaging out at just under 3.6 guesses). Having got this 2,315 line text file, I thought I could raise a bit of money by selling it. I've been looking through various sites to sell things, but that don't cost a fortune each month.

I'm thinking $10 per sale, but have no idea if I'll even sell one.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or even experience that could point me in the right direction?

Much obliged, and anyone that can come up with something helpful can have free entry into all my FISO competitions for ever.
Last edited by Shaggy365 on 21 Apr 2022, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Selling Wordle from a website

Post by murf »

No way can you guarantee solving every one in 6 goes surely

Think you are also onto a loser imagining you can sell a cheat when the list of answers in order is out there for free.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

murf wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 20:39 No way can you guarantee solving every one in 6 goes surely

Think you are also onto a loser imagining you can sell a cheat when the list of answers in order is out there for free.
Admittedly it is a definitive list that you have to enter the guesses that it says, but the distribution of number of guesses is:
1 guess, 1 time
2 guesses, 74 times
3 guesses, 939 times
4 guesses, 1200 times
5 guesses, 101 times
6 guesses, none.
Total 2,315 in 8,271 tries. An average of just under 3.6

I also know it's a long shot trying to sell it, and I too managed to find the list of 2,315 words in the order that they will appear for the next 7 years, but that's just a blatant cheat.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

murf wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 20:39 No way can you guarantee solving every one in 6 goes surely

Presumably that's not the case any more since the NYT bought it.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

hancockjr wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 21:18 Presumably that's not the case any more since the NYT bought it.
TBH I've never checked about the order, but the list of words is unchanged since NYT bought it, apart from some words that are no longer available to be guessed.

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

Shaggy365 wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 21:23
hancockjr wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 21:18 Presumably that's not the case any more since the NYT bought it.
TBH I've never checked about the order, but the list of words is unchanged since NYT bought it, apart from some words that are no longer available to be guessed.
But they aren't necessarily using the same words as solutions in the same order (and obviously once had aroma rather than agora). No reason why they would go with a predefined list, and I think the answers are harder, so I suspect they are not sticking to the set solution list.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

Both aroma & agora are in the 2,315 words (both of which my list has in 3 guesses).

Think it might be eBay to sell it on. This time next year Rodders ...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

hancockjr wrote:
Shaggy365 wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 21:23
But they aren't necessarily using the same words as solutions in the same order (and obviously once had aroma rather than agora). No reason why they would go with a predefined list, and I think the answers are harder, so I suspect they are not sticking to the set solution list.
I understood the list was as expected bar becoming a day ahead when 1 was missed out.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

So, here's yesterdays Wordle (rather than having to worry about spoilers). In order to distinguish between green, yellow & grey, I decided to use 2 for green, 1 for yellow & 0 for grey. as it avoids confusion and makes the spreadsheet a bit simpler.

When the spreadsheet is done, it's just a case of saving all the solutions as a text file which is a lot smaller than the 140Mb excel file, and also a text file is readable by anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Intersting that you use 3 vowels to start with. I use 2 but was wondering if 1 would be better as consonants are more useful for imagining the final answer.

Also interesting that you go for an impossible second word - and one with a double letter. I would say it was a fluke you found a second A as not many answers will have 2 As will they? Intuition would say it is much better to throw in an O or a U than a second A??? Or do your stats say otherwise? (In this case you know 2 vowels so I would say it is unlikely that a 3rd is needed and look for 3 more consonants)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

re the double A: maybe a word beginning with an A is likely to have a 2nd?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

@shaggy: have you looked on YouTube?

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

murf wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 10:28 Intersting that you use 3 vowels to start with. I use 2 but was wondering if 1 would be better as consonants are more useful for imagining the final answer.

Also interesting that you go for an impossible second word - and one with a double letter. I would say it was a fluke you found a second A as not many answers will have 2 As will they? Intuition would say it is much better to throw in an O or a U than a second A??? Or do your stats say otherwise? (In this case you know 2 vowels so I would say it is unlikely that a 3rd is needed and look for 3 more consonants)
As I've been putting this together, it has become apparent that the 2nd guess doesn't necessarily follow the 1st. As it turns out, there are only 10 words that go 20001. Guessing ALANT as the 2nd guess meant that whatever score that gave, there would only be 1 possibility for the 3rd guess. As it happens, it scored 20100, and the only possibility was AHEAD. If it had scored 20022, then the solution would have been AGENT.

A second guess that had followed the first had a 1 in 10 chance of being right, but would have meant that over the 10 possible solutions, it would have taken more than 30 guesses to solve, and my over-riding rule is to solve as quickly as possible.

As a general rule, I would say that more times than not, the second guess doesn't follow the first, at least when starting with ARISE.

And to answer Mr blah while I'm posting, yes I have looked on Youtube. The problem with Youtube is that people presenting the videos aren't necessarily an expert, and I'm not sure I believe everything that is posted on Youtube. I chose my way of doing it, and it turned out to be better than anything else I've seen. 8-)
Last edited by Shaggy365 on 05 Mar 2022, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Ah the delights of the stupid/genius high wire 😎😎😎

While I'm not sure what you're settling; I doubt Wordle has a long term future. I'm far more interested in doing Quordle and if the NYT start charging for it then something else will takeover from Wordle...

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

Definitely why I'm getting in now, while the craze is on-going.

As for Quordle, the brain cells are already grinding into action.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

For selling I guess you have 2 options - sell the list, or release it daily, but as murf points out: there is a list of answers out in internet land.

eagle224
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Veteran

Post by eagle224 »

A web-designer friend informed me the word list is hard-coded, in daily order, into the javascript behind the Wordle website (inc the NYT version). Anyone can access it via the "view page source" on a web browser and follow the main Javascript link, but that defeats the object and simplicity of the game. Quordle also hard-codes the word list but in alphabetical order, with an algorithm selecting the words (presumably repeatable).
Last edited by eagle224 on 05 Mar 2022, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Certainly the Practice Wordle repeats.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 13:03 Ah the delights of the stupid/genius high wire 😎😎😎

While I'm not sure what you're settling; I doubt Wordle has a long term future. I'm far more interested in doing Quordle and if the NYT start charging for it then something else will takeover from Wordle...
Yeah, will be one of those long-forgotten crazes that resurfaces on a “memories of 2022” BBC2 show in a couple of decades’ time (Putin and Nadine Dorries permitting…)

Don’t really get why you’d want to buy cheats for it, if you want to brag on Twatter you can just fake it anyway ;)

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

It’s cheating but sort of pretending that your not cheating

Not sure why anyone would buy it but kudos for developing it and may as well give it a go to see if you can make a few quid

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

OK, so not the fortune I hoped for.

However, I've done the work, so if anyone wants the file, it's here.

Should be easy enough to understand. 2 is a green, 1 is yellow & 0 is grey. Try it out on a couple of the practice goes you get on the site. You might not recognise the words it tells you to put in, but they are all included in the 13000 valid words to enter.

Scoring for all 2,315 solutions is as follows :
1 go - 1
2 goes - 56
3 goes - 1,165
4 goes - 1,006
5 goes - 87
6 goes - 0

Average 3.48 guesses.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Shaggy365 wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 16:01 OK, so not the fortune I hoped for.

However, I've done the work, so if anyone wants the file, it's here.

Should be easy enough to understand. 2 is a green, 1 is yellow & 0 is grey. Try it out on a couple of the practice goes you get on the site. You might not recognise the words it tells you to put in, but they are all included in the 13000 valid words to enter.

Scoring for all 2,315 solutions is as follows :
1 go - 1
2 goes - 56
3 goes - 1,165
4 goes - 1,006
5 goes - 87
6 goes - 0

Average 3.48 guesses.
Ta. I might have a look, I may even have a play around with the word list to see which letters are most popular in which position etc.

I'm currently averaging a tad over 4. 4 is my most common (25) and 3 and 5 are equal (12) but I've had eight 6s and only four 2s - so 8 extra rows in 61 games for an average of 4.13 or 0.65 worse than AI!

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Re: Selling Wordle from a website - now free

Post by hancockjr »

From my spreadsheet it seems I'm outperforming the machine in March! (Note - fail = 7)

3.45 over last 35 days - previous to that I was in Beta mode!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Re: Selling Wordle and Worldle from a website - now free

Post by Shaggy365 »

Done Worldle if anyone wants it.

Not very exciting, although not guaranteed to get it in 2.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”