To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Welchers! The bain of fantasy money league commisioners.

A forum for general Fantasy Sports notices & comment that don't relate specifically to one sport or one fantasy sports game.
bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Welchers! The bain of fantasy money league commisioners.

Post by bluelionman »

What is it with people joining private money leagues and then making no attempt to pay the entry fee?

As a chairman/commisioner on numerous fantasy money leagues it's the bain of my life. Naturally I am always trying to grow my entry pools especially as peopel that don't win often don't return so you always get churn and thus to even maintain entry numbers is a struggle year on year so finding new players is a constant recruitment process that's very time consuming. To do such you often advertise in public - I mainly do this through posts on Forums and Social Media but also via PM's and e-mails in a targeted way. However almost every money league I've set up and publicly advertised over the last year has had new people join and make zero contact. I even spend time hunting them down trying to find how they found their way in - what post they respoded to wheter it be via a forum (like FISO) or from one of my social media blasts. But even then when I think I've found them PM's go unreplied to. I just don't get what a person thinks will happen joining a money league with no intention of paying? :evil:
Last edited by bluelionman on 13 Feb 2022, 13:44, edited 2 times in total.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Welchers! The bain of fantasy money league commisioners.

Post by forestfan »

I think there are rules set out around paid competitions on FISO, which potentially makes it better controlled than elsewhere. I know it will vary by game whether it’s possible, but sometimes entry passwords are only provided once money is received by the organiser.

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

forestfan wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 10:08 I think there are rules set out around paid competitions on FISO, which potentially makes it better controlled than elsewhere. I know it will vary by game whether it’s possible, but sometimes entry passwords are only provided once money is received by the organiser.
I have tried that approach to and do such for higher entry cost games but find that extra hoop is often more off putting to a lot of newbies - as if right off the bat you don't trust them. I tend to feel being open works better as you have to trust people to pay up as in turn they have to trust you to pay out. Works both ways and alas I know there are both non payers who join as alas there are scam commissioners that set up multiple money leagues to run off with entry fees. I find that's more prevalent on American sports and draft type leagues. Thankfully there are groups on social media like on Facebook where people post experiences and call out names of those scam artists. So always worth a check there before joining such leagues of strangers in those sports like NFL, MBL, NBA and NHL.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fantasy ... ?ref=share

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I know people have been stung on here before, hence the framework that was drawn up. To be honest there doesn’t seem a huge amount of appetite for substantial entry fee private games on this forum, and those that do exist are usually side-games to mainstream fantasy leagues and run by long-standing organisers.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 14:11 I know people have been stung on here before, hence the framework that was drawn up. To be honest there doesn’t seem a huge amount of appetite for substantial entry fee private games on this forum, and those that do exist are usually side-games to mainstream fantasy leagues and run by long-standing organisers.
Even the long standing £25 TFF game has died and the £10 one survived /taken over.

I think the newer breed of FF players here (FISO) play more for fun than money especially(/demonstrated by) with the rise of FPL which is free and requires massive effort for a tiny, tiny chance of winning a bag of peanuts.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Wasn’t there a £500 TFF game once? Never entered it, as burning a bundle of notes would have had the same outcome…

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “General Fantasy Sports (FS) Notices & Comments”