To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

How many subs used after 8 games?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on Fantasy Football games run by the Daily Telegraph (TFF). Please post general messages about players etc that are non-specific to TFF on the 'Team News' Forum.

With 8 games gone, how many subs have you used up so far?

Poll ended at 15 Oct 2019, 10:21

Less than 5
13%
13%
13%
4%
9%
13%
22%
9%
No votes
No votes
No votes
15 or more
4%

Total votes: 23

Mins
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF 15th in 2010

How many subs used after 8 games?

Post by Mins »

Hi all. While we take a pause for the international break, I thought I would ask how you are all doing subs wise for either your single entrant or best team? I kind of feel I have used more than I would have really liked (9) for my single entry, but more than half of mine were injury related so can't be helped. I am sure the same goes for most of you too...

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Re: How many subs used after 8 games?

Post by Darbyand »

31-35 remaining across 5 teams. Best placed team has used 6.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

29-40 remaining.

6 used, 34 left in best placed. 33 in 2 others.

brencarr
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF best finish; 60th 2013/14

Post by brencarr »

I have made an effort to resist this year .... my best team has only used 1 transfer, the other 4 have all used 3.

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Average to Middling

Post by Jamjack »

Polls on this particular topic never make me feel very good. Average 10. Low of 7 high of ....whisper it ...13.

I have absolutely no idea how I’ve managed to use 13. None.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Too many 😎
😊

😢😤

Mins
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mins »

I'm feeling a lot better about my situation now. Cheers guys and gals.

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Lucky »

Maybe you should have asked this questions after GW 9. With popular players like Salah, de Bruyne, Cantwell and others flagged so far, some major surgery might be required.

So far 6 on average throughout all 5 teams. 34 in two best teams, 35 in worst team.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Between 29 and 32 left. :oops:

I'm having a bit of a nightmare. :(

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Too freaking many and if logged in yo check for this then there would probably be a few less ...

Themonkey thatstolexmas
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Highest finishing place in TFF - 117th

Post by Themonkey thatstolexmas »

I really don't like to think about it. Doing well, topping my league, in 1468th place overall, but by gum, I need to sit on my hands till about February 🤪

Mins
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mins »

I seem to remember the year I did really well in TFF I had only used 10 subs by FA Cup 3rd round. I then got lucky with a Fulham block defence and probably wasted more than I should of done chasing a top 10 spot. We now have more subs, and more chance to tinker, so my feeling now is as long as you get a period of 3-4 weeks using no subs you will soon make it back to having one per week again (i.e. what you started with).

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

As a rule of thumb if we call August and May full months, it's a 10 month season and I try for 3 a month before Christmas and 5 a month after. So c.25 on New Year's Day. However I've found in recent years they usually end up getting frittered in January/February with less genuine opportunities for 3 for 0s or similar, less weather problems and fixture pile-ups etc. If I think the right transfer needs doing in Autumn this year then I'll go for it rather than sit tight and horde. A few teams need a bit of surgery after this international break

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Darbyand wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 09:49 If I think the right transfer needs doing in Autumn this year then I'll go for it rather than sit tight and horde.
I have (reluctantly) moved to that approach in the last year or two, as it is surely correct, jumping on bandwagons earlier and ditching poor players sooner yet my teams don't seem much better for it!

I like to think there would be more skill in a game with fewer transfers but maybe it is just that I cannot develop the skill of figuring out the best way too use the 'excess' transfers.....

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

If memory serves me right we both put Lukaku in for a cup game then back out for a kick-off 2 hours later, last January....so yes, transfer strategies can always be improved :oops:

I'm keeping XI on the pitch at all times and looking for the form players. Example, in years gone by I'd have sat on my Lanzinis waiting for an upturn in form. He's going for, say, Mount when the games resume. I think over 8 months, the extra 0.4m and a transfer will be worth more than some crap daisy chain next year.

Themonkey thatstolexmas
Grumpy Old Man

In years gone by, there were obviously less transfers in the game, but also I feel like there was a lot less rotation for the FA Cup (plus obvs penalty shoot out points was a real wild card if you got extra lucky!)

These days, it's kind of crazy how many transfers you have. I've tinkered loads, and done a bunch of 2-0s and 3-0s, but still have well over half my transfers left.

There is of course the chance of big fixture pile-ups in the winter months, but do we really trust Pep or Jurgen to pick their star forwards for 4 games in 10 days? I don't, that's for sure. So maybe me using the transfers now to get the 2-0s (some of which have really paid off handsomely) is not so silly really

There have been seasons where I've sat on my hands, and the great opportunities never came, so I ended up using them on really dodgy punts just to use them up.

I do feel like I've used too many - but points are what matters at the end of it all, and they've done me well so far.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

In the distant past the opportunities for using transfers in the second half of the season were greater than in the first half due to a lot of favoured TFF players still playing in most FA Cup games including replays and due to the late season fixture pile up. These factors are both far less significant these days and a rough pro rata usage is probably the best use of transfers. Obviously with short periods both well above and below that rate.

Also it's not very meaningful discussing transfers used in total isolation from points scored to date. I'd far rather have used 12 transfers now and be on the leaderboard than having used 5 transfers and being a long way off the pace. Occasionally someone may have 75% of their transfers left at the end of the calendar year and come storming home in the second half of the season as last season;s winner did*, but it's against the odds as while such an approach should lead to a team stormng up the rankings, generally one will start too far off the pace to maximise one's overall season's score.

* It worked in his case as with a large multi entry (100? teams) he was able to select the best of his teams with lots of transfers left that was still in a semi respectable position. This strategy has now been largely nullified by the five teams per person limit.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

Striker wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 02:22
* It worked in his case as with a large multi entry (100? teams) he was able to select the best of his teams with lots of transfers left that was still in a semi respectable position. This strategy has now been largely nullified by the five teams per person limit.
Excellent point, especially with TFF enforcing those rules.

Themonkey thatstolexmas
Grumpy Old Man

Striker wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 02:22 Obviously with short periods both well above and below that rate.

This makes me feel a bit better about how many I've frittered away tbh. I always feel like it's likely that one will use a few in the opening months to tweak team based on patterns that emerge. And maximising the amount of games I get out of Aguero/Salah/Sterling/Mane/KDB etc doesn't really feel like folly - given how many points any of them can get in a single game, if you can get 2 or 3 extra games (esp home games) at the cost of a transfer or two, it's probably the right thing to do, even if it can't always pay off.

I definitely need to sit on my hands for a bit, but there's always that itch to tinker!

LenH
Grumpy Old Man

Post by LenH »

God, tell me about. I'm already considering another one today!

I've used far too many already but just not happy with the team. Unrealised potential comes to mind, seems like the story of my season so far. I'm going to take solace in the many wise comments above and staple my hands to the ground...after this and/or next weekend until Xmas. He says... :roll:

luciavid
FS Record: XRT

Post by luciavid »

my best team has only used 1 transfer, the other 4 have all used 3. vidmate instagram video download
Last edited by luciavid on 05 Feb 2022, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

luciavid wrote: 04 Feb 2022, 09:33 my best team has only used 1 transfer, the other 4 have all used 3.
Are you in the top 1000?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Haven’t touched my teams since all the Covid and postponement chaos kicked off, might throw some transfers at it and see how far up the table I can get once the PL returns…

Yard of Grass
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 32nd TFF 2014-15 (Single entrant)

Post by Yard of Grass »

Covid chaos sucked the life out of it for me but sticking at it. Have always been a transfer a gameweek ratio kinda guy so happy if xfers used equals number of gameweeks.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Telegraph Fantasy Football (TFF)”