To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Great TV Series

Post by forestfan »

hancockjr wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 20:51
forestfan wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 16:19 Fortitude, which was set in an Arctic research settlement…
And was very good.
Yeah, I liked it… not sure ratings ever quite matched the budget though, and it seemed they couldn’t quite decide whether to give it a final series, so they kind of gave it half of one.

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

blahblah wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 15:59
forestfan wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 12:08
bluelionman wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 05:17 Snowfall
Sounds like another one for blahblah to avoid :lol:
🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶
The 'Snow' in Snowfall actually relates to cocaine and it's about when the crack epidemic hit LA in the 80's. Zero cold weather in the series so far being set in California with visits to South America (contras and cartels) and Caribbean Islands.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

bluelionman wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 18:10
blahblah wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 15:59
forestfan wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 12:08
bluelionman wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 05:17 Snowfall
Sounds like another one for blahblah to avoid :lol:
🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶
The 'Snow' in Snowfall actually relates to cocaine and it's about when the crack epidemic hit LA in the 80's. Zero cold weather in the series so far being set in California with visits to South America (contras and cartels) and Caribbean Islands.
Sounds more my cup of tea 😎😎😎😎🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Long Island ICED tea?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Maybe glass of Coke, rather than cup of tea :wink: (I think LIIT has Coke in it anyway, the legal, fizzy sort that is…)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 16:34 Finished The Tourist last night, we both loved it, great stuff.
Yeah, I enjoyed that as well. Also Stay Close which is another Netflix Harlan Coben adaptation, so if you liked last year’s The Stranger you’ll probably like this one as well.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:
murf wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 16:34 Finished The Tourist last night, we both loved it, great stuff.
Yeah, I enjoyed that as well. Also Stay Close which is another Netflix Harlan Coben adaptation, so if you liked last year’s The Stranger you’ll probably like this one as well.
Yeah. Enjoyed that too. Had been looking forward to it as we had been in Morecambe one day when they were filming. Just started watching The Bay (coincidentally set/filmed in Morecambe). Only watched 1 so won't judge yet. Watched one of Hidden Assets too, which is promising.

The BBC Phileas Fogg thing is very good too. David Tennant was excellent. Mrs m particularly loved it.

Winterwatch is back too. Life is good.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

forestfan wrote:
Just finished another Harlan coben on Netflix called the innocent which is in Spanish and was excellent. Fast paced and gripping throughout with plenty of twists and turns.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 10:21
forestfan wrote:
Yeah. Enjoyed that too. Had been looking forward to it as we had been in Morecambe one day when they were filming.
Yeah, was wondering where that was, didn’t look quite like Blackpool but a bit similar!

For any poker aficionados… I noticed the name of Ross Boatman, of Hendon Mob fame, in the credits (playing the missing young man’s dad). Didn’t even realise he was an actor, but has apparently been in EastEnders etc. though says he finds it easier to make money from the poker!

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

forestfan wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 15:11
murf wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 10:21
forestfan wrote:
Yeah. Enjoyed that too. Had been looking forward to it as we had been in Morecambe one day when they were filming.
Yeah, was wondering where that was, didn’t look quite like Blackpool but a bit similar!

For any poker aficionados… I noticed the name of Ross Boatman, of Hendon Mob fame, in the credits (playing the missing young man’s dad). Didn’t even realise he was an actor, but has apparently been in EastEnders etc. though says he finds it easier to make money from the poker!
Wasn't he in Londons Burning to?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

New Jed Mercurio/Vicky McClure series Trigger Point starts tonight… on ITV. Rats leaving sinking BBC ship? ;)

I see Ozark is back for the first half of the final series on Netflix and also Axe-less Billions (that was quick, they must have filmed 1.5 series after the shutdown with Damien Lewis shooting his final scenes remotely… not sure how it will work without him but will watch for curiosity’s sake at least!)

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Just watched a fascinating two-parter on the Bible John killings in Glasgow.

It was a bit surreal how closely his photofit resembled Steve Davis.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

We really enjoyed S3 of undercover on Netflix much better than S2. Solid 8/10. Dutch so subtitles.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

forestfan wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 16:59 New Jed Mercurio/Vicky McClure series Trigger Point starts tonight… on ITV. Rats leaving sinking BBC ship? ;)

I see Ozark is back for the first half of the final series on Netflix and also Axe-less Billions (that was quick, they must have filmed 1.5 series after the shutdown with Damien Lewis shooting his final scenes remotely… not sure how it will work without him but will watch for curiosity’s sake at least!)
Was Trigger Point any good?

She’s filming another series in Nottingham at the moment for ITV as well…
Don’t know what it’s about but judging by where it was being filmed I suspect it will be ‘gritty’ 😀

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 20:05
forestfan wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 16:59 New Jed Mercurio/Vicky McClure series Trigger Point starts tonight… on ITV. Rats leaving sinking BBC ship? ;)

She’s filming another series in Nottingham at the moment for ITV as well…
Don’t know what it’s about but judging by where it was being filmed I suspect it will be ‘gritty’ 😀
Is it on the ITV version of I Player?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

unc.si. wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 20:05

Hard to judge on one episode, fairly slow build-up but (spoiler-ish) explosive finish. People said the adverts ruined the tension, better when you can fast-forward them on catch-up though…

Re. the other series being filmed - I’d be surprised to see her doing feel-good comedy, in any case… which area is it by the way? (There’s a few to choose from, but I’d guess it’s not Wollaton or West Bridgford…)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Seen them filming in the arboretum (sounds nicer than it is), and think they’ve filmed some in forest fields and old market square

Seeing as you mentioned Wollaton, that’s where she used to go to school, and her old dance school is there, about 5 minutes walk from my house. She pops in to see them every now and then

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, Forest Fields is quite notorious, even if it wasn’t one of the first couple of names that came to mind… nowhere near the modern-day City Ground (which is in West Bridgford and, as County fans will point out, officially outside the city boundary) but beside the Forest Recreation Ground where the club originated and took its name from (not in fact Sherwood Forest itself as many assume, though the land was once part of said larger forest).

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

It is a bit strange that the City ground is actually further away from the city than Notts County :-)

didn't actually know that the club started at the Forest Rec but it makes sense

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, Forest play at the City Ground in the county, County play in the city… all we need is a team called Nottingham City playing in the forest ;)

Three professional sports stadia (the other being Trent Bridge cricket ground, of course) within a matter of a few hundred yards must be pretty much unique, anyway.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I've played on Forest Rec a few times. Seems a lifetime ago but still after Forest were based there.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 11:39 I've played on Forest Rec a few times. Seems a lifetime ago but still after Forest were based there.
Well, yeah, they left in ‘78. That’s 1878… presumably the geese wanted it for their fair.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

My sunday league team was based just off there. We even used the school pitch across the road from it as our home pitch for a while. It was a primary school pitch which meant it was a tad small (understatement) but that was fine as we could often only get 9 or 10 players!

Lister
Grumpy Old Baggie
FS Record: Won a few golf things a long time ago!!

Post by Lister »

Just got round to watching After Life, very good.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

This is what I've watched in the last couple of years, in (approximate) order of rating (though comedy and drama is very hard to compare):

Fleabag
Sex education
The end of the f@@@cking world
Unorthodox
Outlaws
Motherland
The Newsroom
The Five (Harlan Coben)
The Queens Gambit
Killing Eve
Afterlife
Catastrophe
Line of Duty (S1 and 2)
This way up
Vigil
Dead to Me
Big Little Lies
The Undoing
Sharp objects
Designated Survivor (S1)
Stay Close (Harlan Coben)
Ozark (S1)
The Serpent
Lupin

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bluelionman »

STAR WARS: REBELS (2014-2018) - 5/10 (Worth Watching)

Seasons 4 Episodes 75 (+ 4 shorts)

Premise: A brave and clever ragtag starship crew stands up against the evil Empire as it tightens its grip on the galaxy and hunts down the last of the Jedi Knights.

I have watched this out of cannon hence being a bit confused at first - not recognising some characters at all - which I would have had I watched all the Star Wars films, TV series and animated series in cannon or release date order.

So for those of you that don't wish to make the same mistake I have then pay heed to this:

Star Wars Rebels is an animated television series set during the time frame between the films Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.

Now thats out of the way on to reviewing this series. I firstly have to say I have not seen the animated series Star Wars : The Clone Wars which I now realise should have been watched prior to this series so unlike most people I can't yet compare the two animated series.

However, this series on it's own I found I didn't know hardly any of the characters having only to date seen 7 Star Wars films (the first 6 and Solo). But once I got used to these new characters I really got into the series. Yes, for sure I would say it's a more kid friendly Star Wars show / cartoon, showing some of the building of the rebel alliance after order 66. Without doubt it's aimed at pre teens but even so I'm a late 40's adult and still enjoyed it. It would be perfect for parents to watch and not be bored with there small ones - getting them into the Star Wars universe.

If your apprehensive about giving animation a chance, give it a shot. After a few episodes you'll forget its animation at all, and that's a true testament to the quality here. I must admit I didn't have much expectations about this series, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story itself contains a lot of canonical information that ties the prequels closer to the original trilogy. It pulls you into new depths of the struggle of the Rebel Alliance against the Empire, and can even put new light in the actions of the Empire. The only major downside I can see is often peripheral characters just dissapear from one episode to the next with zero explanation about them and they were not killed off in the preceeding episode either.

All in all a good little series that is worth watching especially so if you have young children that like Star Wars or you want to get into Star Wars.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2930604/reference

Here are links to the 4 shorts:
>
The Machine in the Ghost
https://youtu.be/dgoDwquiwRM
>
Art Attack
https://youtu.be/2dSJRKB8x9E
>
Entanglement
https://youtu.be/9pxyXtBuXHM
>
Property of Ezra Bridger
https://youtu.be/yy9waYcrE8k

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Chloe IPlayer is well worth a watch. I'm near the end of Ep3 and it's kinda dark, which is good, and not the Mills and Boon type of thing that it starts of being

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:Chloe IPlayer is well worth a watch. I'm near the end of Ep3 and it's kinda dark, which is good, and not the Mills and Boon type of thing that it starts of being
Watched about 20 minutes of Ep1 so far and not exactly racing to get back to it.

I like 'dark' but this seems to be setting out to be boring and unlikeable with no real narrative and an unlikeable main character.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 07:55
blahblah wrote:Chloe IPlayer is well worth a watch. I'm near the end of Ep3 and it's kinda dark, which is good, and not the Mills and Boon type of thing that it starts of being
Watched about 20 minutes of Ep1 so far and not exactly racing to get back to it.

I like 'dark' but this seems to be setting out to be boring and unlikeable with no real narrative and an unlikeable main character.
Yep, it changes...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 09:45
murf wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 07:55

Yep, it changes...
Yeah, I’m quite enjoying that, though it’s a bit of an uncomfortable watch at times… couple of episodes left and no idea really where it’s going to end up, other than shit hitting fan somehow!

Most good TV is based around unlikeable characters, anyway…

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”