To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Bobby Fetta - charting my failures

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Re: Bobby Fetta - charting my failures

Post by TheRumourMill »

Didn't you get 71, not 61? That immediately makes it look better haha.

For this week, you look in great shape with 5 doublers already in place. The transfers for me would be Toney and son to Ronaldo and Maddison, captain Ronaldo. Then next week if villa get a double Ronaldo to Watkins. Then the week after when Salah is back just do Maddison to Salah.

What's the dilemma? :wink:

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

TheRumourMill wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 01:06 Didn't you get 71, not 61? That immediately makes it look better haha.

For this week, you look in great shape with 5 doublers already in place. The transfers for me would be Toney and son to Ronaldo and Maddison, captain Ronaldo. Then next week if villa get a double Ronaldo to Watkins. Then the week after when Salah is back just do Maddison to Salah.

Lol, yes 71 (-4), thanks TRM, glad someone's on the ball, good detective work :D . I'd forgotten my autosubs. Only a small red arrow - 50k to 60k. So what am I moaning about! I'll order a suitcase of wine in to celebrate.

I think your plan is good. Certainly the popular moves and I may well go down that route. Probably I'm just overthinking things.

I do like Kane over Ronaldo:
- Ronaldo is clearly in decline and the United attack has been very unimpressive under Ralf
- The Ronaldo yellow flag is not a factor for me - I think he'll play
- Kane and Spurs have improved dramatically under Conte.
- Kane has been underperforming his stats this season so much, in contrast to his entire career history. Surely that changes at some point.
- Spurs opponents - Arsenal and Leicester - both are short of players (good if the matches go ahead, bad if he ends up with a double cancellation!) - Kane also has a great career record against these teams I think
- United fixtures are better on paper though - this week and going forward

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Smurphy Paw wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 23:34 Talk me through taking out Antonio. What’re your stats telling you about him?
(If the data doesn’t stack up I’m looking for confirmation bias 🤣)
Well, like you, I need to sell a striker to get Ronaldo (or Kane) and my other two have double GWs.

Antonio's stats have definitely dropped off since the start of the season and are not that much better than Toney's. I don't have the spreadsheet to hand atm but Antonio has dropped down from premium level performance to typical mid-priced forward. As noted above, I'm sick of Toney's 1pt showings so would prefer to sell him, although I can see that backfiring immediately - Brentford penalty time!

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 08:40
TheRumourMill wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 01:06 Didn't you get 71, not 61? That immediately makes it look better haha.

Lol, yes 71 (-4), thanks TRM, glad someone's on the ball, good detective work :D . I'd forgotten my autosubs. Only a small red arrow - 50k to 60k. So what am I moaning about! I'll order a suitcase of wine in to celebrate.

I think your plan is good. Certainly the popular moves and I may well go down that route. Probably I'm just overthinking things.

I do like Kane over Ronaldo:
- Ronaldo is clearly in decline and the United attack has been very unimpressive under Ralf
- The Ronaldo yellow flag is not a factor for me - I think he'll play
- Kane and Spurs have improved dramatically under Conte.
- Kane has been underperforming his stats this season so much, in contrast to his entire career history. Surely that changes at some point.
- Spurs opponents - Arsenal and Leicester - both are short of players (good if the matches go ahead, bad if he ends up with a double cancellation!) - Kane also has a great career record against these teams I think
- United fixtures are better on paper though - this week and going forward
My plan was good but may have to be tweaked, it appears Ronaldo may well be injured -hopefully we get more info later today! I'd hold on any transfer until then. The other factor is the potential for Spurs-Arsenal to be off, there's issues everywhere!

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

TheRumourMill wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 10:45 My plan was good but may have to be tweaked, it appears Ronaldo may well be injured -hopefully we get more info later today! I'd hold on any transfer until then. The other factor is the potential for Spurs-Arsenal to be off, there's issues everywhere!
And now Maddison with only one game, what a joke this season is. Glad I waited on my transfer but still not sure what to do. Son to Bruno (c) to free would have been easy - its annoying how bad he's been this season in fpl

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man

Post by TheRumourMill »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 14:10
TheRumourMill wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 10:45 My plan was good but may have to be tweaked, it appears Ronaldo may well be injured -hopefully we get more info later today! I'd hold on any transfer until then. The other factor is the potential for Spurs-Arsenal to be off, there's issues everywhere!
And now Maddison with only one game, what a joke this season is. Glad I waited on my transfer but still not sure what to do. Son to Bruno (c) to free would have been easy - its annoying how bad he's been this season in fpl
Seems Ronaldo may be ok after all, still wouldn't put you off Fernandes though, it would be a punt but not a bad one all things considered.

P.s. Arsenal Spurs at risk

https://twitter.com/NickAmes82/status/1 ... -news-live

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Kept it simple in the end: Antonio to Ronaldo for free. What a lot of stress, only to take the simplest option.

Didn't want to sell Antonio and don't particularly want Ronaldo but all the options are so uninspiring and I needed a captain (Sanchez is my vice for goodness sake). Were genuinely no midfielders I wanted, once I took Ronaldo instead of Kane (i.e. Bruno would have been a punt with sufficient potential upside that I was considering it).

At least when Ronaldo hobbles off after 10 minutes of the first match I'll be in the same boat as most other people.

My squad is getting more and more bent out of shape. I haven't looked in detail but wildcarding when Salah comes back seems a distinct possibility.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Same decisions in splendid isolation, same doubts after the fact. Very tentatively, ‘Great Move!’ :lol:

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Smurphy Paw wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 18:39 Same decisions in splendid isolation, same doubts after the fact. Very tentatively, ‘Great Move!’ :lol:
Um, about that.. I need someone to share in my misery.

I can't claim I was 50-50 but I was at least 25% considering getting Bruno (c) all day yesterday until making the move 5 minutes before the deadline. I went through all the possibilities - including Ronaldo missing out, Bruno scoring multiple goals and the massive rank gain I would get. But then dismissed it, as a hail-mary move with little evidence to justify it. Its not like Bruno has been 'due' or showing good signs this season, and particularly not since Ralf took over.

I've been busy today so haven't followed the scores (and can't face reading back the TRK thread or checking liveFPL). But I've also managed to bench Cancelo's points against Chelsea (for the second time this season as it happens, the only time I've benched him all year, only remembered this was a stupid bench decision after the deadline having been so focused on Ronaldo etc.) I think if Ronaldo misses out midweek, I get Cancelo but also Sanchez (vc), eek

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 19:51
I can't claim I was 50-50 but I was at least 25% considering getting Bruno (c) all day yesterday until making the move 5 minutes before the deadline. I went through all the possibilities - including Ronaldo missing out, Bruno scoring multiple goals and the massive rank gain I would get. But then dismissed it, as a hail-mary move with little evidence to justify it. Its not like Bruno has been 'due' or showing good signs this season, and particularly not since Ralf took over.
If it helps, I did the same thing with pretty much the same thought process. It seems like Bruno is boom or bust at the moment - and more likely to be bust. Very frustrating.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Aldershot Rejects wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 20:41 If it helps, I did the same thing with pretty much the same thought process. It seems like Bruno is boom or bust at the moment - and more likely to be bust. Very frustrating.
Yeah, another one here who strongly considered Bruno but somehow ended up with Mount. It's ridiculous punishment really: Before today the guy had one goal since GW4 and no double-digit returns since GW1. It's not like he was even playing well or putting up good numbers. But then people pile onto him for a DGW, Ronaldo disappears, and he reverts to the points-scoring monster of 20/21. Just peak FPL.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Yeah, it does help actually. Its so frustrating because it now looks like such a missed opportunity. I'm just not a brave enough FPL player to do that kind of move any more I think. Anyway, I guess I'll just have to keep "trusting the process". Such a ridiculous game though

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Indeed. When I was beating myself up earlier for not bringing Bruno in, it felt like a big missed opportunity. I would probably have captained him as well. These days, I seem to be really bad at taking punts at the right time. Instead I have Keane and Gray who combined for a total of nil points against Norwich.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Yep. I have Gray keeping Cancelo on my bench... I mean he was playing Norwich but also hard to ignore that Everton are diabolical at the moment.

I'll comfort myself with some (second rate Opta) stats:
Bruno 2 goals from 0.26xG
Cancelo 1 assist from 0.03xA

Hopefully the rest of the gameweek gets better

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man

Post by TheRumourMill »

This seems as good as place as any to also admit to a personal failing, I also benched cancelo for Michael Keane and played gray :lol: I also captained Ronaldo but at least own and viced fernandes. So.....I'm now in the ludicrous situation of wanting my captain to be injured for Wednesday so the captaincy switches to fernandes and cancelo comes off the bench. Not particularly hopeful of that though.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

I captained Josh f**king King. He might not even have a second game and he plays for f**king Watford. :lol:

Hello, my name is Pirlo's Beard and I'm a fantasy football addict.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 19:51
Smurphy Paw wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 18:39 Same decisions in splendid isolation, same doubts after the fact. Very tentatively, ‘Great Move!’ :lol:
Um, about that.. I need someone to share in my misery.
I’ve been off social media this evening - watching some of the original Stieg Larsson Lisbeth Salander series that’s been on BBC4. It’s so much more atmospheric than the Hollywood remake. But it’s in Swedish and so I couldn’t multi task with FISO at the same time!

With a bit of distance I think there are a couple of competing points here
- Ronaldo was not a good choice because he’s been injured
- Arguably Bruno was also not a good choice
Granted, with hindsight, a fully fit player was a better option than one that we all knew had been injured.
But we were choosing between a number of suboptimal options. I noted in the Captaincy thread that some were going to enjoy some really great variance. Well it’s true. And there had been little recent evidence that Bruno was going to be the one to provide it. It’s a good outcome for those who jumped that way.

Anyway, United still have another game so don’t get despondent yet. Wait for a brief CR7 cameo whilst Bruno gets another hat trick. Then let’s all have a cry together :mrgreen:

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Smurphy Paw wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 01:02 With a bit of distance I think there are a couple of competing points here
- Ronaldo was not a good choice because he’s been injured
- Arguably Bruno was also not a good choice
Yes, seems a fair summary to me, particularly now I've seen Bruno's first goal.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 20:20 Yes, seems a fair summary to me, particularly now I've seen Bruno's first goal.
It was a spectacular strike, no goalkeeper in the world could have saved it. :lol:

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

gw22 review

50pts (I think) and a big red arrow

Getting Ronaldo (C) instead of Bruno (C) was a 42pt swing I think. Wow. Of course, even Harry Kane did much better and I have previously set out my reasons why I didn't want Ronaldo at all...

Have to admit I didn't think through the implications of benching Cancelo and his 75% effective ownership. So that was another 9pts lost. That was a poor decision and hard to explain now, other than my brain was frazzled with the Ronaldo decision.

Not sure what I'm doing with my transfer this week

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

PS - Ivan Toney's goal at the end was very gratefully received, and was the only return from my 6 DGW players!

Multiple Scorgasms
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Multiple Scorgasms »

Bobby Fetta wrote:PS - Ivan Toney's goal at the end was very gratefully received, and was the only return from my 6 DGW players!
I finally took him out (for a hit) of course he gets goal

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 09:28 I finally took him out (for a hit) of course he gets goal
That was my intention too! About the only thing that went right this week

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Dennis in for a hit, first time I've owned him this season. What more can I say?

Well, I have to admit that as I captained King, it seems Dennis getting sent off was marginally good for my rank. But obviously would have been better to stick with Toney, who no doubt will score a penalty this weekend

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 22:13 Dennis in for a hit, first time I've owned him this season. What more can I say?
That it will also be the last time you own him this season?

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 23:25 That it will also be the last time you own him this season?
:lol: hope so but can't guarantee it. Looking at the number of transfers I've used on the same players this season, I am prone to going back on my decisions:
James = 6
Antonio = 5
Ronaldo = 5

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

DGWs are nasty beasts. You can get crushed if you hold back but you can also screw yourself if you go all-in and it fails, because in that case you usually need points gains in order to rectify your squad later. Bruno scored 24% of his points for the whole season in GW22 with a 23-pointer and it looks even more skewed if you take out the 20-pointer in GW1 before Ronaldo arrived. Meanwhile, Dennis averaged 4.9 ppg over 19 games this season and then scored -1 over 2 games in GW23. :?

At least you didn't captain him anyway. :)

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

I've taken the weekend off FPL as have been busy and the last couple of gameweeks have been really painful. I've followed up last week's benching Cancelo's 11pts and Ronaldo over Bruno with:
- Toney to Dennis cost 12pts
- Alonso's late cameo cost me 8pts (Dalot first on my bench)

Feels like I have been so close to a really good season but just keep getting the 50-50 decisions wrong.

Both the Ronaldo and Dennis transfers in were driven mainly by fear of highly owned players. I don't usually go down that route, which makes the failures doubly frustrating. On the other hand, playing Cancelo last week based on ownership would have worked out.

Still, lots of games to go this season :D

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Reece James is back, need I say more

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 12:25 Reece James is back, need I say more
:D no you do not. :lol: