To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Extra Free Hit

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Extra Free Hit

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

From GW20, all players will get a second free hit.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2425 ... 52349201=1

Thoughts?

RuudTheDudeVanTheMan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Pioneer and perpetual main protagonist of the prestigious perennial Phlegmiership. Other than that particularly pointless prize pretty average.

2 time Divisional Championships Premier League winner :)

Re: Extra Free Hit

Post by RuudTheDudeVanTheMan »

I'm thinking I should have used FH last GW :cry:

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

RuudTheDudeVanTheMan wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 14:15 I'm thinking I should have used FH last GW :cry:
Yeah, initial thoughts are that it's a bit bloody late now.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

I suspect those who didn't use last week still have an advantage - we still have the traditional end of season blank/dgw to handle not to mention all the rearranged fixtures. Could easily end up with another truncated week as well.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

I'm quite happy to have an extra shot at maximising opportunities offered by inevitable forthcoming double GWs.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

RuudTheDudeVanTheMan wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 14:15 I'm thinking I should have used FH last GW :cry:
Why? You now have two Free Hits. Those who wasted it last gameweek only have one. Advantage you.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

It’s crap.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Joccki_10 wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 14:36 It’s crap.
It is a bit stupid to change rules in the middle of a season, but I think it just favours good managers who are more likely to play their chips correctly.

More decisions to do means more opportunities for good managers to make correct decisions.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Great, now I have 2 FH's to fook up 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Don't necessarily think it's a good thing but I'm happy with it. :)

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Spinynorman wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 14:47 Don't necessarily think it's a good thing but I'm happy with it. :)
This.

It opens up additional strategic possibilities. But if loads of cancellations on Boxing Day, might disappear quickly.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

Finisher1 wrote:
It is a bit stupid to change rules in the middle of a season, but I think it just favours good managers who are more likely to play their chips correctly.

More decisions to do means more opportunities for good managers to make correct decisions.
An extra Free Hit gives you fewer decisions to make.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

To quote one of my friends, "the one silver lining was that if you suffered through the postponed games you'd be more likely to have DGW players in your team. That advantage has now been taken away as everyone can easily hop on those players now".

RuudTheDudeVanTheMan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Pioneer and perpetual main protagonist of the prestigious perennial Phlegmiership. Other than that particularly pointless prize pretty average.

2 time Divisional Championships Premier League winner :)

Post by RuudTheDudeVanTheMan »

Finisher1 wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 14:33
Why? You now have two Free Hits. Those who wasted it last gameweek only have one. Advantage you.
Well I'd be about 35 points better off if I used it last week.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

From4corners wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 15:08 To quote one of my friends, "the one silver lining was that if you suffered through the postponed games you'd be more likely to have DGW players in your team. That advantage has now been taken away as everyone can easily hop on those players now".
Good idea/point, thanks 😊😊😊😊

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

From4corners wrote: To quote one of my friends, "the one silver lining was that if you suffered through the postponed games you'd be more likely to have DGW players in your team. That advantage has now been taken away as everyone can easily hop on those players now".
Quite so. Infuriating really. United will probably have a great DGW21 and it wouldn't be that easy to jump on. Now it is as easy as one click. Crellin has led everyone down the garden path with his focus on GW22 when GW21 is much more significant. Now there's a get out from following that Pied Piper without thinking it through for yourself as well. In both cases, the thoughtful strategy is penalised (after the event) in order to help the majority that have gotten themselves into difficulties. I went through last week with no Arsenal players at all in order to have a potential advantage in GW21. What was the point?

It's not just that it actually reduces the decisions required, as Joccki says. It also rewrites decisions already made, rewarding some and penalising others in a completely arbitrary way. :roll:

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

It's going to have a mixed reception for sure. If you can get through the DGWs without using a chip, keeping the likes of Man C mid, a Chels def, Jota, Trent, Cancelo then the extra FH can still be used to devastating effect later in the season. So if you're reasonably setup in some kind of way now, there is an advantage to maybe taking a -4 or -8 to keep both FHs.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Joccki_10 wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 15:00
Finisher1 wrote:

An extra Free Hit gives you fewer decisions to make.
No it doesn't.

You still have all those transfers to do, you just target them differently.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

From4corners wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 15:08 To quote one of my friends, "the one silver lining was that if you suffered through the postponed games you'd be more likely to have DGW players in your team. That advantage has now been taken away as everyone can easily hop on those players now".
Well, if those who already wasted one FH now play their second FH for GW21/GW22 then they don't have FH for DGWs in April or May. Advantage double FH holders.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 15:27 I went through last week with no Arsenal players at all in order to have a potential advantage in GW21. What was the point?
You have an advantage for blanks and doubles in April or May.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Post by SirMattBugsby »

It's been given to tide over the Covid period, which isn't over yet. Might come in handy, I'll try and stay positive.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

well, this is a kick in the balls for those of us who have been trying to plan ahead, work around cancellations, and carry ronaldo through his blanks. i can't see any justification for changing the rules, other than to try and re-level the playing field after decisions have been made.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

eastcentral1 wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 15:47 well, this is a kick in the balls for those of us who have been trying to plan ahead, work around cancellations, and carry ronaldo through his blanks. i can't see any justification for changing the rules, other than to try and re-level the playing field after decisions have been made.
You probably shouldn't plan for more than 3-4 gameweeks forward even in normal circumstances, and especially not in COVID circumstances. The dynamics in FPL always change very quickly even in normal circumstances, so usually you don't have a good idea about what will be an optimal squad for a longer range than 3-4 gameweeks. The very next gameweek is always far more important than gameweeks after it, because we always have the best information on the very next gamweek.

I usually transfer out super premiums if they are likely to miss at least two gameweeks, because that's awfully lot of money to have on your bench.

Changing the rules in the middle of a season is dumb, I agree. Rules are rules.

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

They should give us another WC instead. Cheap Santa :D.

If you haven't used your first FH, it's definitely another on top right? I figured it might say 2x on the website.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Owsler wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 17:09If you haven't used your first FH, it's definitely another on top right?
It is.

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Lucky »

I agree that rules should not be changed during the season. It is probably done again to keep people interested in the FPL game.

But I hope that this will be the last "present", because another additional WC on top would just ruin it for all who have invested time to think about suitable strategies to cope with all the external effects.

Bølla pinnsvin
FISOhead

Post by Bølla pinnsvin »

Not a welcome gift. But I kind of understand why they choose to do so.
Rules should stay unchanged as I see it.

It's possible to argue that because they changed the rules last season this (risk of rule changes) is now part of the game. But it's not the kind of game I prefer to play. I prefer normal, bad luck for all.

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

Bølla pinnsvin wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 22:00 Not a welcome gift. But I kind of understand why they choose to do so.

It's possible to argue that because they changed the rules last season this (risk of rule changes) is now part of the game. But it's not the kind of game I prefer to play. I prefer normal, bad luck for all.
I'm the one who has the normal bad luck for myself, though! :lol: :lol: :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Malrom wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 22:04
Bølla pinnsvin wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 22:00 Not a welcome gift. But I kind of understand why they choose to do so.

I'm the one who has the normal bad luck for myself, though! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought Lucky had all the bad luck 😂🤣😂🤣

wonkypenguin
Grumpy Old Man

Post by wonkypenguin »

Interesting that you can't play them in consecutive gameweeks... Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”