To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

F1 specific (chit chat thread)

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: F1 specific (chit chat thread)

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 15:55
unc.si. wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 10:48 Can't be good for the image of the sport
Or maybe all publicity is good publicity, for a sport that had eroded its reach through paywalls and Mercedes dominance?

Not excusing Masi for yesterday’s events but F1 and farce had gone hand in hand for many years before. Remember the six-car race at Indianapolis? The “knockout” qualifying shambles? And I’m sure many others I’ve forgotten about…
Spa 'race'. Short memory......

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 16:00
Or maybe all publicity is good publicity, for a sport that had eroded its reach through paywalls and Mercedes dominance?

Not excusing Masi for yesterday’s events but F1 and farce had gone hand in hand for many years before. Remember the six-car race at Indianapolis? The “knockout” qualifying shambles? And I’m sure many others I’ve forgotten about…
Yeah, that one was Masi as well…

Suggestions the new FIA President will fire him, but where they find a suitably qualified replacement is another matter. Maybe it should be an ex-driver? Though then I guess (perceived) team/ex-rival bias comes into play…

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 16:08
murf wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 16:00

Yeah, that one was Masi as well…

Suggestions the new FIA President will fire him, but where they find a suitably qualified replacement is another matter. Maybe it should be an ex-driver? Though then I guess (perceived) team/ex-rival bias comes into play…
I'm which case you should go for a driver from the 80s or 90s with no history with any of the guys racing.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Jos Verstappen? ;)

They do/did have driver stewards on the panel, think they have tended to vary from race to race though.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:Jos Verstappen? ;)

They do/did have driver stewards on the panel, think they have tended to vary from race to race though.
The stewards only judge on incidents. They keep changing them which leads to inconsistency.

Masi as Race Director is the man who unilaterally makes the dodgy calls (inc whatever to send to the stewards)

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

interestingly, losing the championship seems to have won LH a lot of fans. i suppose he has handled the whole thing with a lot of dignity. he's also pretty articulate.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

eastcentral1 wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 15:34 interestingly, losing the championship seems to have won LH a lot of fans. i suppose he has handled the whole thing with a lot of dignity. he's also pretty articulate.
That's Sir LH to us now.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Long overdue and thoroughly deserved.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, can’t remember when it was announced but certainly deserved as one of our greatest British sports stars of all time (along with anti-racism campaigning etc.) Certainly seems to have matured as a personality as well, wasn’t always the most likeable in his younger days. And as many have pointed out, while all drivers have their racing incidents, he’s never blatantly rammed someone off the track as Senna and Schumacher (his GOAT rivals, at least in terms of within living memory) were both known to do.

Hope he and Mercedes let Max have his moment now, and then he can come back next year and win an eighth and ride off into the sunset and leave the numerous exciting youngsters to it. Will be interesting to see how George Russell gets on alongside him next season. Bottas had reached his sell-by date, a solid team-mate for years if never a real threat, as per Barrichello for Schumacher, but had he been close in Abu Dhabi things might have been different.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Suggestions Lewis might be considering retirement… would be a shame to see him go out that way, without a crack at regaining it. Still, the motivation has to be there. Would be interesting to see him have a crack at Indy, Nascar, rallying, politics or whatever.

Good decision for him to talk Mercedes out of an appeal, though. Nobody wants a title won in the courts and it’s not as if Max or Red Bull did anything wrong in Abu Dhabi.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

A bit petty from Hamilton and Mercedes to boycott the awards gala. Apparently could face punishment, I don’t know if that could extend to points deductions or grid penalties for next season?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

forestfan wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 11:55 A bit petty from Hamilton and Mercedes to boycott the awards gala. Apparently could face punishment, I don’t know if that could extend to points deductions or grid penalties for next season?
I doubt that the FIA will want to hinder Hamilton next season. They’re going to want to put this to bed in the closed season lest they get accused of hindering/costing Mercedes & Hamilton two titles.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Smurphy Paw wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 12:19
forestfan wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 11:55 A bit petty from Hamilton and Mercedes to boycott the awards gala. Apparently could face punishment, I don’t know if that could extend to points deductions or grid penalties for next season?
I doubt that the FIA will want to hinder Hamilton next season. They’re going to want to put this to bed in the closed season lest they get accused of hindering/costing Mercedes & Hamilton two titles.
Yeah, and their worst case scenario would be for Mercedes themselves to walk, potentially taking down three other teams who use their engines on a customer basis…

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

So, some action at last… Masi fired as race director with two alternating replacements brought in, and a former deputy RD in a Yoda role, plus a VAR element added as well.

Presumably Lewis will be racing. Despite the way last season ended up, I hope we get another battle like it. Though with the new regs who knows, Mercedes could just walk it, or alternatively we could get something like the Brawn year, where an unheralded team like Williams or Haas lucks into the best car at the start of the season and everyone else frantically tries to catch up…

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

This ground effect thing sounds like a recipe for disaster, wasn’t it last seen in the early 80’s when cars had a habit of taking to the air pretty easily?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 12:00 This ground effect thing sounds like a recipe for disaster, wasn’t it last seen in the early 80’s when cars had a habit of taking to the air pretty easily?
Porpoising sounds fun, unless it has a teabagging type connotation I know nothing of.

From reports the new system does allow you to follow cars closer (as intended to help overtaking) but has inadvertently reduced the advantage of the 'tow' so the effects will probably cancel each other out and racing will be no better.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 12:11
forestfan wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 12:00 This ground effect thing sounds like a recipe for disaster, wasn’t it last seen in the early 80’s when cars had a habit of taking to the air pretty easily?
Porpoising sounds fun, unless it has a teabagging type connotation I know nothing of.

From reports the new system does allow you to follow cars closer (as intended to help overtaking) but has inadvertently reduced the advantage of the 'tow' so the effects will probably cancel each other out and racing will be no better.
Does it not mean that touching wheels etc. is more likely to launch a car than before?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 12:13
murf wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 12:11

Does it not mean that touching wheels etc. is more likely to launch a car than before?
I think the porpoising really only kicks in at high speed when, hopefully, nobody is touching wheels. Maybe at lower speed being sucked down by ground effects would minimise launching?? Can't see how it would have much effect once a car is unbalanced by contact.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

hancockjr wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 16:09What I don't get is why the lapped cars don't just fall back immediately the safety car starts operating (or go through, obviously not where the incident is).
Amazingly it's currently because the timing software can't cope with it!
murf wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 12:11From reports the new system does allow you to follow cars closer (as intended to help overtaking) but has inadvertently reduced the advantage of the 'tow' so the effects will probably cancel each other out and racing will be no better.
Can't say last week's race seemed any different in terms of cars being able to follow and this battle but might have been hindered by fairly big gaps in performance between the best 2 teams and the rest

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Mystery wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 07:57
hancockjr wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 16:09What I don't get is why the lapped cars don't just fall back immediately the safety car starts operating (or go through, obviously not where the incident is).
Amazingly it's currently because the timing software can't cope with it!
Any more detail on this - what it can’t actually do? All I’m saying is that the cars “unravel” as soon as possible under the safety car, not waiting for the incident to clear. Not sure what a timing system would not be able to do in that sense?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Why do they need to change places at all?

Just to generate more fake action?

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

I guess it's somewhat fake having all the back markers so close together after a SC, which are probably then harder to pass. Also if you've been under the SC for, say, 5 laps the assumption would be you'd have passed those by then (obviously you'd have new ones but would be hard to say who'd have which ones to pass).

Intuitively seems to me everything would work if:

1) You don't unwind the backmarkers, but
2) The safety car automatically adds a lap, which will always be under race conditions, and an additional extra lap added for each 5 laps under safety car (alos under race conditions).

I've spent nearly a minute thinking these rules up so I can't imagine they'd have any flaws in them.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

The easiest thing is for the backmarkers to drop back not race forward to do another lap. Surely much safer for anybody on track needing a good spell of time to clear anything up.

I guess the only issue with adding laps (tyres/fuel should still be better) is the time for the race but you still have the 2 hour limit for that.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

hancockjr wrote:Any more detail on this - what it can’t actually do? All I’m saying is that the cars “unravel” as soon as possible under the safety car, not waiting for the incident to clear. Not sure what a timing system would not be able to do in that sense?
Oh do you mean drop back without regaining their lap? I guess you get a situation then particularly late in a race where the backmarkers are just pushed out of the way giving their sponsors less exposure, solely for the benefit of the more successful / bigger / richer teams. I think you end up with very small grids going that way.

However, they've talked about this again in recent weeks and doing something with the software such that lapped cars can just drop back in the field and be given the lap back to compensate. The challenge then is not disadvantaging the leaders who will have used less fuel to go more or less the same effective distance.

In short, every solution causes a problem for someone so it ends up on the too hard to do pile

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Nowt else on so I'm on this... especially as Lewis started nowhere 🤣😂🤣🤣

Bad:
No crashes 🙄🙄🙄

Good
Cars are better colours this season 😎. Except for that pink is only good when ice cream 🤷‍♂️

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Been a great start to the season, long may this continue 😎

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Sounds like a late April Fool, but apparently Lewis Hamilton might be getting honorary Brazilian citizenship… don’t know if he’d take their flag and anthem on the podium, but would be great to hear it up there again, a nation of such F1 legend yet don’t think they’ve even had a driver on the grid since Massa…

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

forestfan wrote:... yet don’t think they’ve even had a driver on the grid since Massa…
Not a full time driver, but did have Pietro Fittipaldi covering for Grosjean after his Bahrain crash a couple of years back

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Mystery wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 07:25
forestfan wrote:... yet don’t think they’ve even had a driver on the grid since Massa…
Not a full time driver, but did have Pietro Fittipaldi covering for Grosjean after his Bahrain crash a couple of years back
It does help to be called Fittipaldi, Senna or Piquet… I see there’s another Fittipaldi grandson(?) in F2, along with Drugovich, who sounds more like a doped up Russian ;)

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 09:32
Mystery wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 07:25
It does help to be called Fittipaldi, Senna or Piquet… I see there’s another Fittipaldi grandson(?) in F2, along with Drugovich, who sounds more like a doped up Russian ;)
He's wining the F2 series at the moment, from Kiwi Liam Lawson, who was pretty good in DTM.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”