To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Covid Updates

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Covid Updates

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Might be useful to have a thread for covid updates as they may relate to FPL. So...

Reporting at Carrington for training, Weds 15/12:

Cristiano Ronaldo, Fred, Victor Lindelof, Marcus Rashford, Eric Bailly, Raphael Varane, Diogo Dalot, Scott McTominay, Anthony Martial, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Lee Grant, David de Gea, Bruno Fernandes, Edinson Cavani, Phil Jones, Alex Telles, Tahith Chong, Paul Pogba.

None of these have tested positive for covid (so far). Looks like United can field a strong XI at the weekend unless further events intervene.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-22466323

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Covid Updates

Post by murf »

Tele reported United have 19 cases (inc staff)

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

murf wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 23:03 Tele reported United have 19 cases (inc staff)
Leeds? Newcastle? Manchester?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Watford: Club sources have said it is too early for a decision to have been made on whether Saturday's game against Crystal Palace will be able to go ahead.

:?

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport ... questions/

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Thomas Frank says Brentford have 13 positive cases at the club.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

From4corners wrote:
murf wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 23:03 Tele reported United have 19 cases (inc staff)
Leeds? Newcastle? Manchester?
Maybe I should have wasted space by quoting the only previous post.

Nailer6245
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Nailer6245 »

Tall Paul wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 08:59 Thomas Frank says Brentford have 13 positive cases at the club.
Aye, and he's strongly calling for this weekend's round of fixtures to be postponed fully (and says other managers think likewise) to try get the situation under control. Notwithstanding whether that would actually work or not, I wonder is it likely?

I wouldn't mind a 'circuit breaker' to be honest, the sickener is random games dropping with wild swings of luck in either direction.

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

I would say that its unlikely at this stage. Currently the situation, although serious, is approximately where we were 12 months ago, with some games postponed and others almost completely unaffected, and they played on through that period. I think the league is reluctant to pause the whole thing for obvious reasons, the fact they rejected Brighton's and Leicester's requests for postponement this week shows a certain willingness to play on. The situation may become untenable of course but right now I would assume it continues.

One factor to consider for GW18 is that Brighton and Man Utd is the first game. That game is at some risk due to the situation at both clubs, but being the first game of the week we should know whether it is on or not pre-deadline. Helpful if you have players from those clubs in terms of planning transfers. If it is on, and if you don't own Man U assets it might be worth bringing a United player in to get "points on the board" early in the gameweek.

Another factor is that if it is called off, presumably the deadline will shift to 1:30pm on Saturday. There are 4 games at 3pm on Saturday scheduled, so again we should know the status of these games before the new deadline. Same applies as above, prioritise players from these first games that are confirmed on; potentially Watkins, Cash, Broja, Toney, Gallagher, Bowen, etc.

19Yorke
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 15/16: 11k
16/17: 7k
17/18: 2766

Post by 19Yorke »

Leicester - Spurs postponed

Edit: Link here: https://theathletic.com/news/leicester- ... ZUFanHvaI/

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

TheRumourMill wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:21 I would say that its unlikely at this stage. Currently the situation, although serious, is approximately where we were 12 months ago, with some games postponed and others almost completely unaffected, and they played on through that period. I think the league is reluctant to pause the whole thing for obvious reasons, the fact they rejected Brighton's and Leicester's requests for postponement this week shows a certain willingness to play on. The situation may become untenable of course but right now I would assume it continues.
I agree with this and go further - we are in a much better situation with vaccinations. Hopefully Omicron is less serious and that is realised soon, as otherwise I don't know what it will take to halt the gradual social/economic destruction of society. It seems that nothing that could possibly happen, can stop this cycle.

This has to end somewhere and I selfishly can't afford for Chelsea's game to be off tonight! :oops:

Behind closed doors games is surely a real possibility in the near future. I think certain teams are using the situation in their favour but that's obviously speculation and can't really be helped.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

19Yorke wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:29 Leicester - Spurs postponed

Edit: Link here: https://theathletic.com/news/leicester- ... ZUFanHvaI/
No other sites confirming this. All say it is set to be called off but it isn't officially off.

Strange because I though The Athletic were better than being just another set of clickbait merchants.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

BBC now saying the game is set to be called off.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

RomynPG wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 13:11 BBC now saying the game is set to be called off.
Personally I think Rodgers is trying to pull a fast one because Evans and Soyuncu have injuries. His quoted 9 'medical' cases includes injuries!

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

At least with new outlets reporting that the Leicester - Spurs game is due to be postponed they’re letting people know in advance and before the Spurs fans set off from London, even if the formal announcement hasn’t been made. That’s an improvement on yesterday when, apparently, Watford notified the relevant authorities and Burnley about 2pm but no decision was made until 5.30-ish.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Smurphy Paw wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 13:32 At least with new outlets reporting that the Leicester - Spurs game is due to be postponed they’re letting people know in advance and before the Spurs fans set off from London, even if the formal announcement hasn’t been made. That’s an improvement on yesterday when, apparently, Watford notified the relevant authorities and Burnley about 2pm but no decision was made until 5.30-ish.
Burnley weren't notified until 10 minutes before the PL press release.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Tall Paul wrote:Burnley weren't notified until 10 minutes before the PL press release.
In fairness, Watford should have forfeited that game and Burnley been awarded a 3-0. Or better still, the PL should have told Watford to get on with it. Trouble is, they let United get away with it and it's now a very slippery slope.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Spurs are quite pissed off because they had travelled up OK and were ready to play tonight - and had previously suggested cancelling this game so they could play Rennes in their rearranged game instead!

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 13:42
Tall Paul wrote:Burnley weren't notified until 10 minutes before the PL press release.
In fairness, Watford should have forfeited that game and Burnley been awarded a 3-0. Or better still, the PL should have told Watford to get on with it. Trouble is, they let United get away with it and it's now a very slippery slope.
+1

There'll always be one opponent worse off than the other and it's a shameful thing under the circumstances, but where's there's big money involved, unfortunately there's dodgy politics. The PL have set themselves up for mass postponements ad infinitum, but then they were under huge pressure, as is everyone in power. No-one dares put a foot wrong, the media is so scathing in this country, and is currently an abomination to us all imo.

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

Sutter Kane wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:58
TheRumourMill wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:21 I would say that its unlikely at this stage. Currently the situation, although serious, is approximately where we were 12 months ago, with some games postponed and others almost completely unaffected, and they played on through that period. I think the league is reluctant to pause the whole thing for obvious reasons, the fact they rejected Brighton's and Leicester's requests for postponement this week shows a certain willingness to play on. The situation may become untenable of course but right now I would assume it continues.
I agree with this and go further - we are in a much better situation with vaccinations. Hopefully Omicron is less serious and that is realised soon, as otherwise I don't know what it will take to halt the gradual social/economic destruction of society. It seems that nothing that could possibly happen, can stop this cycle.

This has to end somewhere and I selfishly can't afford for Chelsea's game to be off tonight! :oops:

Behind closed doors games is surely a real possibility in the near future. I think certain teams are using the situation in their favour but that's obviously speculation and can't really be helped.
Correct. The other thing is that a "circuit break" will achieve absolutely nothing. The government has decided (for now at least) against severe restrictions to stop the spread (i.e. schools still open, hospitality still open, christmas parties still allowed (both in and outside of downing street)), so if football thinks it can seal itself off from society and magically everything will be ok and fixed by boxing day then they are deluded. A circuit break would only work if the rest of society did the same, and would be needed to be coupled with the premier league returning to the sealed bubbles approach of June 2020, i.e. players being separated from their families in a club bubble. If they try that at xmas then I think there would be open revolt.

I'm not saying a circuit break won't happen by the way, just that it would achieve nothing.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I'll be shocked if Blob calls one before Xmas, half expecting one the week after, but almost certain their will be one before the middle of January.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

TheRumourMill wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 14:23 I'm not saying a circuit break won't happen by the way, just that it would achieve nothing.

Indeed. Though I would say that as time has passed, many measures are political decisions, not scientific ones. It's more about the " we have control" and "we can do things to control this" - after all, if the cases come down post-measures, they can take credit and if cases continue, they can say the strategy was sound, just a little late or that if those said measures weren't taken, it would have been a lot worse. Politically, the hands of people in power are tied because of the hideous backlash they'd get if nothing was done - and this is the unending cycle which will lead to eventual collapse if continued.

Working in a school myself, I can say every measure taken here is pointless, and everyone member of staff knows it. All politics, but no-one can say anything. So like Blah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had no footie in January. (and possibly schools shut too) Feel sorry for Spurs if they did travel to Leicester. Their schedule is becoming untenable.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Manchester United against Brighton on Saturday has been postponed as well.

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man

Post by TheRumourMill »

Sutter Kane wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 14:39
TheRumourMill wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 14:23 I'm not saying a circuit break won't happen by the way, just that it would achieve nothing.

Indeed. Though I would say that as time has passed, many measures are political decisions, not scientific ones. It's more about the " we have control" and "we can do things to control this" - after all, if the cases come down post-measures, they can take credit and if cases continue, they can say the strategy was sound, just a little late or that if those said measures weren't taken, it would have been a lot worse. Politically, the hands of people in power are tied because of the hideous backlash they'd get if nothing was done - and this is the unending cycle which will lead to eventual collapse if continued.

Working in a school myself, I can say every measure taken here is pointless, and everyone member of staff knows it. All politics, but no-one can say anything. So like Blah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had no footie in January. (and possibly schools shut too) Feel sorry for Spurs if they did travel to Leicester. Their schedule is becoming untenable.
Seen a bit of chat on twitter about a potential break until GW22, just speculation at this stage though. You're right of course, the science of it makes no sense but politically yes it looks like they're doing something. Yeah a free press should be the basis of a fair democracy but its become so powerful that it dictates politics now in many cases!

I feel for you working in a school, you have my upmost sympathy. In my opinion second only to health staff in terms of a workforce sent into the front line armed only with a toothpick. Re: Spurs, yes if they somehow play and qualify for the Europa League conference knockouts. If they don't qualify I think they have at least 6-8 midweeks free. Obviously a circuit breaker would make even that potentially not enough (which would be the case for some other clubs too in multiple competitions).

Man U v Brighton off btw.

Nailer6245
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Nailer6245 »

From4corners wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 14:55 Manchester United against Brighton on Saturday has been postponed as well.
Sigh. Going DDG over Ramsdale on a wildcard a few days ago is annoying, to say the least. :?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Sanchez to Ramsdull has worked well 🤔

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man

Post by TheRumourMill »

This was interesting buried in the article on the Brighton v Man U postponement:

A Premier League statement added: "Manchester United’s fixture against Brighton & Hove Albion this weekend has been postponed by the Premier League Board today.

"It is with regret that this is the fourth Premier League fixture to have been postponed in the past week.

"While recognising a number of clubs are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks, it is the League’s intention to continue its current fixture schedule where safely possible. The health and wellbeing of all concerned remains our priority."

Seems to suggest that as of right now, they are ploughing on with the league as a whole.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It would be interesting to know the details of why each match is postponed (even Auntie has been using cancelled 😤😤😤😤) for comparison especially big club vs small club.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

TheRumourMill wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 14:57 Seen a bit of chat on twitter about a potential break until GW22, just speculation at this stage though.
FISO FPL 5AS H2H was there first - Christmas/New Year break (GW18-21 inclusive) - admin must be a genius :mrgreen:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

RomynPG wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 15:11
TheRumourMill wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 14:57 Seen a bit of chat on twitter about a potential break until GW22, just speculation at this stage though.
FISO FPL 5AS H2H was there first - Christmas/New Year break (GW18-21 inclusive) - admin must be a genius :mrgreen:
Nut Nuts Jnr is a bit young to be called that, shirley?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Tall Paul wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 13:38
Smurphy Paw wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 13:32 At least with new outlets reporting that the Leicester - Spurs game is due to be postponed they’re letting people know in advance and before the Spurs fans set off from London, even if the formal announcement hasn’t been made. That’s an improvement on yesterday when, apparently, Watford notified the relevant authorities and Burnley about 2pm but no decision was made until 5.30-ish.
Burnley weren't notified until 10 minutes before the PL press release.
None of which is ideal. But Watford shared the info much earlier. Calls for Watford to forfeit are incorrect IMO. The League delayed by three+ hours, not the opposition.
And today all were given more notice which is a step in the right direction, the essence of my point.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”