To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

BBC Sports Personality 2011

A forum for fixed-odds betting discussion and tips including sports betting such as horse racing
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: BBC Sports Personality 2011

Post by blahblah »

blahblah wrote:Donald needs a Major, imho.

There are no stand-outs to date, except Cavendish.

Murray is having his trickiest game to get to the Final in France (Nadal is way off the pace).

Does Ennis have any major comps this year?

Tom's dad has just died.......

Although we are better across the board than we have been for a while; we have no soaring stars.
From a few hours before :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

A refreshingly pleasant lil speech type thing at the end, as well. None of that prepared PR spin rubbish, just some good old fashioned mumbling and generally looking embarrassed...

I only turned over for the end to see if Cav won. I am witholding my viewing rights until a full apology and suitable award is given to Bob :lol:

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Great result. SPOTY definitely went to the right guy this year, although that's not to belittle the achievements of Farah, McIlroy, Green et al (also not forgetting Keri Anne Payne, Adlington, Chrissie Wellington, Al Brownlee and all of the other fantastic achievements that went largely unrecognised). Great that Lucy Garner also got into the top 3 of the Young SPOTY.

Rare that SPOTY goes not only to the most deserving person, but also to someone who actually has a personality, so doubly good this year

Agree about the speech. No media coached soundbites and typically modest. He can be an arrogant chavvy gobshite at times, but at heart he's actually a pretty modest guy, always thankful to win and always very appreciative of the fact that it's a team effort. He never ever forgets to give the credit to his teammates.

The only real surprise is that Joe Public have actually recognised how good he is. Cycling's a complex sport, and very much a minority sport in the UK. The thing that swung it I think was the Worlds, which is a concept that people here can understand, unlike (on the whole) the subtleties of stage racing or the tradition and general all round bad ass toughness of the Classics. In the cycling heartlands of Europe he's a major celebrity, but probably until this year he's not really had much recognition here.

Quite like the joke going around that Bernie Eisel and Renshaw should have picked up the award and then passed it to Cav on a plate though :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

By arrogant chavvy gobshite you mean he said he was going to be the best.... and then did it?

I wouldn't get carried away with the fame thing. BBC Breakfast had some UK actor, who didn't know what he did, followed by a couple of Belgians who said Cav is a hero there, and would have trouble walking down the streets (I guess the hero bit is a slight exageration.)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

blahblah wrote:By arrogant chavvy gobshite you mean he said he was going to be the best.... and then did it?

I wouldn't get carried away with the fame thing. BBC Breakfast had some UK actor, who didn't know what he did, followed by a couple of Belgians who said Cav is a hero there, and would have trouble walking down the streets (I guess the hero bit is a slight exageration.)
I don't actually mean anything bad by saying he can be an arrogant chavvy gobshite. You've got to have an element of arrogance to win, especially in such a phenomenally difficult sport and I hope he never changes the way he speaks to the media after races. Wears his heart on his sleeve. The exact opposite of the calculated media driven bully boy self promoting sociopath Armstrong.

I like Cav. He's a good guy. 'We' in the UK tend not to like people being up front about wanting to win though. It's just not cricket.

He is very big in Belgium, but then that's a country where something like 12% of the entire population turns out on the side of the road to watch the Ronde Van Vlaanderen classic 1 day race and the country that bought us Merckx, the De Vlaaminck's, Maertins, Rik I and Rik II and Museeuw. They do like their cycling.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

to be fair, the arrogance only really gets directed at his racing. Theres the occasional post race comment but he never once fails to recognise those who work for him and contribute to his successes.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote:
I don't actually mean anything bad by saying he can be an arrogant chavvy gobshite.
I know. But he seems to be tarred by this, when he just speaks (apparently) honestly, and always passes the glory on to his team-mates for getting him in position to do his bit. Maybe he needs more credit for being really quite awesome at doing his bit notably the Worlds, where the train died after keeping the race together for so long.......

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

blahblah wrote:
unc.si. wrote:
I don't actually mean anything bad by saying he can be an arrogant chavvy gobshite.
I know. But he seems to be tarred by this, when he just speaks (apparently) honestly, and always passes the glory on to his team-mates for getting him in position to do his bit. Maybe he needs more credit for being really quite awesome at doing his bit notably the Worlds, where the train died after keeping the race together for so long.......
Quite a few stages in the tour over the years where he had to go it alone as well.

I think he's probably the GOAT amongst sprinters now. More stage wins than Cipo, Petacchi, Maertins, Zabel - only 2 less than Darrigade (who took 14 Tours to rack up his 22 wins).

If he can do it again with Sky then I think in a couple of years time there will be no doubt at all about who the greatest ever sprinter is. He's also got plenty of time to go for the all time record for number of stages won. If he does ever overtake Merckx's record of 34 wins that will be huge - HUGE.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Quite like the fact that the voting %ages has stopped any talk of the golf vote being split. If all the golf votes had gone to 1 player they would still only have half of Cav's votes.

ps - not having a go at Golf - just glad it was so clear cut.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

2014, at the current rate of 5 Stages per Tour :lol:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Not bad for someone who wouldn't have made it if the Sports Scientists had their way. Wrong physique - doesn't generate enough watts. If people like Rod Ellingworth hadn't taken a chance on him he wouldn't be here today.

He's living proof that cycling's more than just the numbers.

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

Don't know why but I love the guy! Have been watching him for the last few tours and just love it when he appears from nowhere and blows them all away. Also enjoy the fact that he is prepared to turn physical if he has to defend his space.
So many things can go wrong yet he manages to avoid most of the trouble and delivers nearly every time. His team mates must really like the guy to kill themselves day after day to get him in position.
I follow him on Twitter as well and I just can't explain why I like him!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote:Not bad for someone who wouldn't have made it if the Sports Scientists had their way.
Ditto the divine Vicky and Usain Bolt....

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

blahblah wrote: 20 Sep 2011, 09:17 He isn't that good. Is he :?

And he certainly doesn't take a punch.

And it is London Olympic Year :wink:
Just came across this - was worth a bump.

Looks like we have our answer Blah.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Ashers wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 08:04

Fury? He’s surely too divisive to win (and perhaps even to be shortlisted).

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 08:20
Ashers wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 08:04

Fury? He’s surely too divisive to win (and perhaps even to be shortlisted).
A lot of people have died since my post 🙄

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Was it Fury that asked to be taken off the shortlist a couple of years ago?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:Was it Fury that asked to be taken off the shortlist a couple of years ago?
People wanted him removed from the list in 2015 (drug ban, sexist comments etc etc) but BBC kept him on and he turned up. Came 4th.

In 2020 he asked to be removed, BBC said no, then he got lawyers involved saying he didn't need awards (despite turning up in 2015). Was on final 6 shortlist.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “The Betting Forum”