To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

This week I am mostly listening to....

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Re: This week I am mostly listening to....

Post by wahine »

Yesterday I was playing/listening to "Mothership" and also yesterday, looking at upgrading my car and found a nice replacement that I was thinking about overnight :roll: , that was until this morning my car CD player decided to consume the CD :evil: I read all the google tips to free it up, finally I rang the car yard and told them I was bringing my car down for an immediate trade complete with stuck CD. Is that a RAGE transfer!

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

You know when you're on Youtube and watch a video, which sort of leads you down a whole worm hole of music, and then 2 hours later, you think, woah, is that the time ? That was sort of me last night. Amongst those I encountered on my musical worm hole were :

Had to order the album "Bizarro" again on the back of this, which I probably had on cassette. What a belting tune.

This is such a glorious song. I had heard it before but never matched the artist to the song, until now. The audio quality isn't great here but the visuals at least capture the artist, which led me to this:

So before I end up with a very similar pattern, I must have changed tack...

Dave's "holier than thou" look, a stunning vocal here and great video from Anton Corbijn.

Finally after seeing the Definitely Maybe thread reappear on FISO, I found this version of Live Forever.

*deep breath required*

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

It was usually the sun rising that made me look at the time doing that πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ™„

wahine
Grumpy Cat
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

Those are great! U tube are so good with their suggestions :D , they seem to mostly know what I like to listen to, I used to listen to Spotify when doing stuff outdoors on the farm and kept having to skip -skip -skip with the rubbish they served up :(
For some reason the other day I got linked to The Two Ronnies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kazCgOpzHKs

well I thought it was funny :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

We had joy we had fun....

Ah Jacques, un dieu.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

I could spend hours on yooutube. There is some great stuff on there and I agree that the suggestions are usually good, although can keep going round in circles sometimes.

Think I've probably seen the Wedding Present more than any band. They never seemed to stop touring and it was always a good night.

And Then He Kissed Me always reminds me of the restaurant scene in Gooodfellas. One of the greatest single shot scenes in cinema history.

Just been on and after starting with Gouge away by Pixies its come up with this:

Polly Jean is just awesome 8-)

Then this:

They're playing Rock City in a few months - missed them last time but might go this time

and then the icing on the cake:

Kim Gordon - the coolest person alive, plus I've no idea what Kathleen Hanna is doing in a Sonic Youth video dancing with her pants outside her tights, but she's definitely enjoying herself :-)

ps - started off with this one, which is a great version. Its the version they usually play live. Saw them in one of my last gigs before lockdown and this was the opener - the green lights came up, then that bass line kicks in for what seemed like forever, then Joey Santiago's surf guitar, then Bang :-)

Its Paz, not Kim on bass, but still a great version.

This has just come up now. I need to stop or I'll never get to bed :-)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Wow.

I love the original and know it was always darker and angrier than the way Mike Scott sang it, but this version is something else. Fiona's never short of a bit of passion and anger though :-)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

You're quite into a bit of the Carpenters aren't you.

I really used to hate that stuff, but now I do like it. I guess as you get older you don't care whether things fit what people think is 'cool' at the time and you just listen to good music. If its good its good - doesn't matter what genre it fits into

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote: ↑15 Aug 2021, 01:09
You're quite into a bit of the Carpenters aren't you.

I really used to hate that stuff, but now I do like it. I guess as you get older you don't care whether things fit what people think is 'cool' at the time and you just listen to good music. If its good its good - doesn't matter what genre it fits into
Yeah. I loved her stuff way back then, but maybe I should have been sent to a shrink when I insisted on quiet in the car when Solitaire came on the radio and I knew all the words 🀣🀣🀣🀣

I think she taught Curtis everything he knew....

Onto Absolute Beginners now πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=PDa-u ... ture=share

Hopefully that's one of my real faves by the underated Hazel

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Never really got into watching music on youtube. Love The Pixies and Hazel O"Connor (bought Breaking Glass a few years ago on CD as a long time since I'd played the tape!) but on CD or iPod.

iPod on shuffle is my equivalent I guess. Use my eyes to surf the web or post on here.

Will watch that Sonic Youth video later as have only got into them recently and dont think that is on the 3 albums I have.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

An "In Memorian" thread to three musicians who sadly left us this week :(

Firstly, Don Everly, who along with brother Phil produced some stunning vocal harmonies in the late 50s and early 60s. The two brothers never saw eye to eye - nothing new there then - apart from when when they were on stage. Why so important ? Because Lennon and McCartney modelled themsleves on them to an extent, especially in the early Beatles days. Keith Richards was also a big fan. Three of their songs below, one a bit obscure but a personal favourite, the other two are classics back to back.

Secondly, and possibly not as well known outside the Midlands, Brian Travers, saxophonist, lynchpin and founding member of UB40 died after a long battle with cancer. In the early 80s, UB40 were pretty cutting edge, reflecting Birmingham's multi ethnic population with songs making policitical and social comment about early 80s Britain (i.e. One in ten). That was their best stuff for me, before they turned into a little bit of a soft reggae covers band later in the decade.Two songs below, "The Earth Dies Screaming" seems very apt today and "Food for Thought", the latter which is Travers at his brilliant best on the sax.

Lastly, the incomparable Charlie Watts, the suavely dressed, jazz loving, classic car collecting Rolling Stone. Whilst the other members of the Stones were living it up full on sex, drugs and rock n roll, this wasn't for Charlie. Did his own thing in his own way but the backbone of the Stones. Married to his wife for something like 50 years, totally un-stone like but fiercely individual. Back in the 60s when Brian Jones self destructed and the Stones went from being Brian's band to Keith & Micks, Charlie was the rock. But no-one took the "p", as there's a bit in Keith's book "Life" which recalls Jagger lamenting "where is my drummer" and phoning Watts at silly o'clock in the morning, only for Charlie to come down to his room and lamp Mick with a swift right hook, who said "never call me your drummer again". But this was unusual. Obvioulsy The Stones show will go on but surely this will be the last ? God knows how Keef has lasted so long. Anyway, here's two from the Stones, the last one is my favourite.

RIP.

Stena Bib
FISOhead
FS Record: Finished 530 FPL 2018/19

Post by Stena Bib »

The Police - Spirits In The Material World

Forgot how good this was.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Listened to that album earlier....

Not as good as their early stuff obviously but better than I remembered their decline being.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

King of Pain is a cracking tune πŸ‘

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: ↑03 Sep 2021, 20:20 Listened to that album earlier....

Not as good as their early stuff obviously but better than I remembered their decline being.
Tbf I think they peaked with Invisible Sun.

jacool
Treebeard

Post by jacool »

A band that only the Irish on here might know, Whipping Boy. their 1995 album Heartworm is in my top 10 albums ever released. A new "expanded" version just appeared on Spotify, which sent me back in time. So, Heartworm by Whipping Boy!

wahine
Grumpy Cat
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

BB King and friends. Deuces Wild.

Off one of my fav "feel good" CD's
Last edited by wahine on 17 Dec 2021, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.

wahine
Grumpy Cat
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

October 4th is Janis Joplin day 😘

"Pearl" was released in 1971 :) this alternate version I like best :lol: 🌷
Last edited by wahine on 17 Dec 2021, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.

wahine
Grumpy Cat
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

jacool
Treebeard

Post by jacool »

in memoriam ..... Mike Nesmith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcXpKiY2MXE

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

jacool wrote: ↑17 Dec 2021, 13:14 in memoriam ..... Mike Nesmith

I can never, ever hear his name without remembering his mum invented tippex.....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: ↑17 Dec 2021, 13:21
jacool wrote: ↑17 Dec 2021, 13:14 in memoriam ..... Mike Nesmith

I can never, ever hear his name without remembering his mum invented tippex.....
Was it Post Its as well?

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Goodbye 2021 :x . Welcome 2022 :D

Like most - I imagine - I was back to work on Tuesday. The Pogues (minus Shane Mcgowan) summed up the mood nicely:

No video for the next one but it's a catchy as hell post punk number from Magazine, which I must admit to having only discovered recently. That riff.

I seem to be listening to a lot of Kate Bush recently and always seem to come back to this one, which is quite beautiful, clever, thought provoking, everything really :

So far it's all pretty laid back but I need something to grab me by the balls sometimes and shake me about, leave my ears ringing. Get me out of the house. I believe this is this band's only top 40 hit (outrage) and probably not the one they are probably remembered for. Love it though:

Finally, a timeless slice of 60s pop from Lulu. RIP Sidney Poitier - a true pioneer.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

About time I revisited this thread, starting with a cracking new song from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, broody, atmospheric and ver catchy, one of the best songs I have heard this year :

Talking of newish material, this is from Peter Doherty's latest album, a collaboration with Frederic Lo. The album is entitled The Fantasy Life of Poetry and Crime. Best thing he's done for ages IMO and this is one of the stronger tracks:

Finally, summer has arrived...sun's out, guns out :D And one band always reminds of summer..

This will get played a lot too, ahh, memories ....what an anthem

Finally, RIP Andy Fletcher or Fletch :( . This is the B side of the first Depeche Mode single I bought back in around 1986, off the Black Celebration album. I still love this song to bits. This is a beautiful stripped down version with Martin Gore taking the vocals. It's a fitting tribute.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to β€œMusic”