To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

TBL Blog - Can it get any worse?

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

TBL Blog - Can it get any worse?

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

Hello folks, thought I'd start a thread as things have certainly taken a turn for the worse this GW. This GW has seen me drop from around 400 to 800k. 28 points from 10 players with just Sanchez to go - awful

Unfortunately I have no WC left and just 1 transfer for GW7

This is my lot below..

Sanchez Foster
Shaw TAA Marcal Livramento Duffy
Salah Greenwood Benrahma Sissoko Brownhill
Ronaldo Lukaku Dennis

Immediate current thoughts are Shaw. How bad does the injury look? Who would be a good replacement - Chelsea defender pending outcome of CL midweek game?
Greenwood. Has the ship sailed there?
I admit getting rid of Antonio was a bad idea. So too was Raphinha. Not having a cheap Everton midfielder or Sarr is hurting also! :oops:

I know people can get a GW now and again and it can certainly knock the stuffing out, that's for sure. Need some much needed motivation / inspiration from anyone. All thoughts and feedback welcome. Critical or not. So I can try and figure out where to go from here for GW7 and future GW's? :) All the time I have spent researching players and trying to improve pre season has just knocked the stuffing out of me after a GW like this sorry guys :(
Last edited by TheBigLewandowski on 26 Sep 2021, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: TBL Blog - Can it get any worse?

Post by blahblah »

You're still in the top 1m, so they is plenty of scope to drop further 😉

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Love the title of the thread. I know how you feel - I made such a good start this season and the last two weeks have spoilt it and seem like such a missed opportunity. Through a mix of bad luck and bad play from me.

My worthless opinion:
- Your team looks fine. Agree Shaw seems like the priority. Easy switch to a Chelsea defender, irrespective of whether he's injured long-term.
- Of the players you mentioned, Antonio seems like the big miss. He's the main reason I don't like the 3 premium approach as so far this season he's delivering premium output at a midrange price. I guess your options there are downgrade Ronaldo directly or do a 2 transfer switch with Greenwood. Personally I'd do the Ronaldo approach but no rush.
- Greenwood looked good to me yesterday. He had two good chances running through on the counter, maybe getting space due to Ronaldo's presence. In the long-term he is a sell with the other attacking players leading to rotation but with Sancho misfiring, Rashford not back yet and Martial in the virtual departure lounge I'm happy to keep him for a few weeks more.
- Raphinha is a great player in my opinion but we have the Brazil / international break problem coming up so he may miss a game then
- Sarr and the Everton midfielders will blow hot and cold - you may have already missed their hot spells

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man

Thanks Bobby. Appreciate the advice/thought structure. Love your thread BTW.

I am leaning towards what you say. Irrespective of any news we receive regarding shaw's injury - a Chelsea defender looks a good option. Even if Shaw is fit for Everton, United haven't been keeping many clean sheets anyway?

I really would like to get Antonio in for West ham, in exchange for Dennis. Not sure even if I downgrade Greenwood I'll have enough funds though!

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Whilst I agree with Bobby that your team doesn’t look as bad from the outside as you’re feeling now; and also with him that there’s merit in going from 3 to 2 premiums; I disagree with the ‘no rush’ aspect. TBH I would wait this week (GW7) but after that the longer you wait the longer you make other sub optimal moves because you can’t really afford who you want.
There are probably about half a dozen players who I guess that you’d upgrade if you had a spare £1-2m on each. Ronaldo (my preference but other premium players are disposable) to Antonio will free up about £4m+ to focus on the key three or four other improvements.

That’s the key decision IMO. How you then work towards a balanced squad depends on which way you go with that decision so actual choices and priorities for improvement are secondary

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 18:51 Whilst I agree with Bobby that your team doesn’t look as bad from the outside as you’re feeling now; and also with him that there’s merit in going from 3 to 2 premiums; I disagree with the ‘no rush’ aspect. TBH I would wait this week (GW7) but after that the longer you wait the longer you make other sub optimal moves because you can’t really afford who you want.
There are probably about half a dozen players who I guess that you’d upgrade if you had a spare £1-2m on each. Ronaldo (my preference but other premium players are disposable) to Antonio will free up about £4m+ to focus on the key three or four other improvements.

That’s the key decision IMO. How you then work towards a balanced squad depends on which way you go with that decision so actual choices and priorities for improvement are secondary
Thank you, SP, for the wisdom.
Another option, is to possibly try and ride out the storm and just do nothing for GW7, and then go on a bit of a mini WC spree, doing 3 transfers for a -4 to try and steady the ship. That's another option

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

TheBigLewandowski wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 17:23 Need some much needed motivation / inspiration from anyone.
The first reply being from blah probably wasn't what you were hoping for. :lol:

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 19:58
TheBigLewandowski wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 17:23 Need some much needed motivation / inspiration from anyone.
:cry: :oops:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

TheBigLewandowski wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 20:20
Pirlo's Beard wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 19:58
:cry: :oops:
😎😎😎 Good luck 😉

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 18:51 ...I disagree with the ‘no rush’ aspect. TBH I would wait this week (GW7) but after that the longer you wait the longer you make other sub optimal moves because you can’t really afford who you want
Just to clarify, because I was loose with my text, by 'no rush' I meant the same as SP - no rush to sell before gw7 when Ronaldo has a nice fixture and will be a popular captain pick. Any point after that is better, although it is debatable about whether Leicester is a hard or easy fixture in gw8.

The difficulty is, as TBL has alluded to, if you sell Ronaldo ideally you want to make use of that cash immediately, which means rolling a transfer this week, a hit or delayed gratification.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

If there is a difference it is only in written style, I think we’re both agreed that Dennis to Antonio is not the optimal move

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

blahblah wrote: You're still in the top 1m, so they is plenty of scope to drop further. 😉
Ah, blah hits the nail on the head in his own compassionate way. As someone once observed, "no, you haven't hit rock bottom, you only just fell off the cliff". :lol:
TheBigLewandowski wrote:All the time I have spent researching players and trying to improve pre season has just knocked the stuffing out of me after a GW like this sorry guys. :(
Very understandable to have the why do I bother? thought, TBL. Let it pass for a couple days and then make the best plan you can for your team going forward without looking backwards at what you can't change. This would be my analysis (without looking at what anyone else has said).

The first glaring problem is a completely unbalanced squad. 3 cheap defenders, 2 base-price mids and a cheap-as-chips forward; in my eyes that means you are fielding 7 proper outfielders every week and having to make up the team with the best you can cobble together from the others. It's not that Livramento/Duffy aren't worth having (they are, and they also happen to rotate pretty well as long as neither gets dropped) but the reason we have players like those six is to bring efficiency into our structures; that's good when you have three, maybe four at a pinch, but when it's six it begins to look like malnutrition and will certainly cost you points overall.

Therefore the absolute first step before considering anything else at all would be to decide which super-premium player to remove and when. I don't count TAA as a premium for this purpose; yes, he's the most expensive defender but he can also justify 7.5m without captaincy; my definition of a premium asset is one who cannot validate his price-tag without sometimes being used successfully as a captain and essentially that means any attacker that costs 10m+.

OK, so, Ronaldo is the obvious one to lose given the upcoming fixtures. The next question is when? In my eyes that could be immediate, it could also be GW8. So I'd make a plan for what to do with him gone and look at sequencing the transfers the best way, that will also perhaps offer a guide as to whether CR7 should leave now or whether there is more advantage in waiting a week. The plan should also give an idea how many hits will be needed (if it's two, say, then it doesn't matter when you take them, they can be as early as will help you).

Then I'd come to the other end. What are the immediate weak links in your squad and what structure do you want to move towards? So, the initial focus would be on the six cheap players. I'd say that Livramento and Duffy are fine. Dennis is OK for this week at least and he could serve as a somewhat expensive rotation player for you in a 4-4-2 type of structure. Brownhill is perfectly serviceable as a base-price midfielder (so is Sissoko but you only need one and if you have both Sissoko and Dennis it doesn't extend the rotation options). Marcal would certainly be on my out list because he'll very likely lose his place once Ait-Nouri is fit again after the concussion protocol.

So, that's Marcal & Sissoko to go from the cheapies. Ronaldo is going. Who are the other weak links? Shaw, for one, United's fixtures are toughening quite significantly. Greenwood is a similar case, plus there has to be a doubt how long he keeps Sancho from starting (the BvB technical director has been saying how it hurts me in my soul to see Jadon getting so little opportunity at United). The rest seem OK for now; maybe not what you'd choose on wildcard but certainly not weak links. Good. So the out list is Marcal, Sissoko, Ronaldo, Shaw & Greenwood if you are heading towards a 4-4-2 structure with Dennis perhaps to follow later if you want 3-4-3. 0.6m is in the bank. So now a plan can be devised.

Right, well, who is going to replace Ronaldo, that's the first thing to get an idea about? Seems too early for Toney to me. Aubameyang and Vardy probably don't save enough. So that means it will be someone around 8m. Could be Bamford if he's given the all-clear, or Antonio, or DCL (who should be back for GW8), or Watkins. The final decision can be made later but it's enough to know the price point for now, it means that something in the region of 5.2m will be available for upgrades. Marcal, Sissoko, Greenwood & Shaw will be leaving, that's around 22m. So you will have around 27.2m to spend on those 4 slots but let's hold 1.2m or so in reserve to allow Dennis :arrow: Toney or similar later. 26m to spend then with 2 defenders and 2 midfielders to find.

For the defenders, I can't see better than adding 1 Chelsea and 1 City to TAA, Livramento, Duffy. The Chelsea first and the City in GW8/9. That means Shaw :arrow: Rüdiger would be a definite GW7 transfer and as he is about to rise and Shaw fall I might well take the risk and do that today. Marcal you might get another week or two from but Marcal :arrow: Dias/Cancelo would be planned for GW8/9. That's 12.7m of your 26m spent leaving 13.3m or thereabouts for 2 midfielders. This is where the options widen, there are so many ways you could go, but let's assume for now we look at two in the 6-6.5m range. Saka looks great; Raphinha looks great but in Raphinha's case only from GW9 because he could well miss GW8 as things stand.

With that, a plan begins to fall into shape:

GW7: Shaw :arrow: Rüdiger
GW8: Ronaldo, Greenwood, Marcal, :arrow: DCL/Antonio/Watkins, Saka, Dias/Cancelo (-8)
GW9: Sissoko :arrow: Raphinha leaving around 1.7m banked.

I'd also note that if you went with Watkins as the CR7 replacement you could probably take Grealish instead of Raphinha. Also, Greenwood :arrow: Saka could come forward to GW7 (bringing one of the hits forward a week) if Greenwood looks less likely to start. Like I said, there are a lot of combination options once you get to choosing the midfielders.

You maybe can't stop the bleeding instantly but with a plan like that, things should look far better from GW9 onwards. That would be my analysis anyway. GL.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Having just looked at the other replies, it seems that my ideas broadly match theirs, just I have written at inordinate length as usual. :lol:

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man

Ruth_NZ wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 13:40 Having just looked at the other replies, it seems that my ideas broadly match theirs, just I have written at inordinate length as usual. :lol:
Appreciate the advice, Ruth. Great insight as always. At least I have some type of plan now going forward. The phrase 'it might get worse before it gets better' springs to mind. But for GW7 I think I am set on Shaw > Chelsea defender, for their good run of fixtures.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Shadowing my transfer may not be the best move 😂🤣😂

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

My favourite FPL tip is “think ductile” (not that anyone here needs a tip).

For every position it’s good to write down who is a sideways transfer in the event they get broken. The more sideways options you have, the more ductile your team is.

If you only have 1 option then that’s kinda brittle.

Some players don’t have sideways transfers and sometimes there might only be 2 viable players in a position at a price and you end up having them both. This is often the case with the 4m defender or the cheap mid. It is 100% the case with Ronaldo and Lukaku.

Also worth thinking about when you have 3 players from one team, if that blocks one of your sideways TX.

Everyone has a thoughtful plan, but it’s the unexpected SHTF when you are brittle that really hurts your OR / ruins your season.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”