To see less ads Register or Login ----- Please ensure that your fiso password is random and not used for other logins. You can change it here which you should do if you were a FFHub member and used the same password there.

Emma Raducanu

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
Smurphy Paw
DumblePaw
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Re: Emma Raducanu

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Don’t forget Hewitt and Reid taking their doubles crown as well

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Post by forestfan »

Yes, quite a week for British tennis. Just imagine what we’d achieve if it wasn’t just a “posh” sport…

murf
FISO Baron
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 11:01 Credit also to British doubles player Joe Salisbury who has won both the men’s and mixed titles, with barely a mention…

So 3 out of 5 senior titles at Flushing Meadows go (at least in part) to the UK. Come on Andy, sort it out for next year, there’s only one of your old rivals still standing ;)
He got mentioned for the men's doubles final (albeit as a footnote to a Murray losing the final)

Mav3rick
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Did anyone else find the post match pre-amble mentioning the two finalists "smiles" a bit creepy? I know the guy mentioned other attributes like grit, etc but they wouldn't have noted Djokovic' dazzling eyes would they?

Still not quite reaching equality despite the presence of the "original nine" at the match.

murf
FISO Baron
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Make them play 5 sets if you want equality!

A slightly more obvious inequity than talking about smiles.
Last edited by murf on 12 Sep 2021, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Baron
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Mav3rick wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 16:46 Did anyone else find the post match pre-amble mentioning the two finalists "smiles" a bit creepy? I know the guy mentioned other attributes like grit, etc but they wouldn't have noted Djokovic' dazzling eyes would they?

Still not quite reaching equality despite the presence of the "original nine" at the match.
I think that was part of glossing over the plaster break, which really pi55ed one off.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 16:48 Make them play 5 sets if you want equality!

A slightly more obvious inequity than talking about smiles.
Yeah, or scrap 5 sets for the men, which would make it more watchable and less predictable. The format wasn’t designed with 5-hour matches in mind, like we get these days.

Mav3rick
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Equal sets yep agree with that. I quite like the epic 5 setters though so I'd like to see the women play that.

I suppose it does make it about the best physical capabilities rather than the best tennis abilities, but that's part of the challenge of top level sport, and the sport would just adapt, much like women's football is a different game than the men's version despite the same rules applying.

On the apparent trivialty of talking about smiles, I think it's valid to criticise, nobody talks about Federer as anything other than a champion or athlete. It's fine to talk about their sportsmanship, or determination or skill, but why bring looks into it.

Top level sport is a great way to highlight how we can do better, taking the knee being an example, I think we should call it out for what it is.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Mav3rick wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 16:59 I suppose it does make it about the best physical capabilities rather than the best tennis abilities
To an extent that’s true, like moving from a 10,000m to a marathon, but I think it’s even more about mental strength over 5 sets. Djokovic’s young rivals have the measure of him now in a purely athletic sense, just thanks to being a decade or so younger. He can’t do a lot about that. In fact he usually seems to lose the first set these days… but at 2-1 down or even 2-0 down you still expect him to win. And that’s partly physical stamina, but also that resilience, belief and will to win, which the pretenders still can’t come close to.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”