20 year career milestone reached

A forum for general discussion on Career, Business & Hobby subjects and topics
Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

20 year career milestone reached

Post by Mav3rick »

This week just gone (September 6th) marked the completion of my 20th year as a software developer. A lot has changed in the time, at least technology wise if not HR/personnel wise, but such a major milestone did make me look back with tear filled (and aged) eyes thinking of some of the things that were different back then. Off the top of my head I recall:

1) We had no direct internet access from our desktops, the company had a couple of (expensive, I believe) ISDN lines which connected our server room to the internet, but general purpose internet access was restricted to a couple of designated machines.

2) No smart phones, mostly Nokia's and games of snake at lunch.

3) A designated (outdoor) smoking room/shelter thing, which was separated from the main office by a few tens of feet.

4) In professional terms, we (unbelievably) had no source control, used VB6 (and were moving to the new and emerging world of .NET) and I earned £18k (rising to £19k after completion of my probation period).

I bought my parents a DVD player and a new 22 inch TV with my first month's salary - the first DVD watched on it was, I believe "I know what you did last summer" :lol:

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Re: 20 year career milestone reached

Post by raoul »

That made me smile.

August 2022 is my 30 year work anniversary. My 1992 accountancy firm office had only 1 computer ... tax department used it for VAT returns I think. We had a pool of tourists. Every Monday morning my desk would have a small pile of internal memos.

But my favourite recollection is this. To prepare accounts for clients involved a typist taking my handwritten numbers, but we needed a column of the previous year numbers to go alongside the current year. So, get a spare copy of prior year accounts, a pair of scissors, some Pritt stick, then photocopy a few times till the lines disappeared.

We called it cut and paste...

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

2018 was my 40th year in the construction industry. Things have changed considerably since then mostly improvements in health and safety.
When I started this was about the time drawings changed from imperial to metric, so I had to convert measurements to imperial for the older guys I was working with. I still have some measuring tapes with feet and inches, along with my slide rule in my workshop.
I followed the career path working my way through the ranks from apprentice carpenter, foreman, draughtsman, architectural technician, technical director and then running my own civil contracting company. Most of my working career has been overseas in Europe and I attended Teesside university to get my degree, I have been back in New Zealand for the last 20 years though. I must admit to missing the European architecture and old buildings, the oldest building I worked on was Barnard Castle ( not the original build before anyone tries to work out how old I am) repairing some of the circular stairs.
I am supposed to be retied now but am back on the tools and looking after a prestressed concrete operation, so that is keeping me fit.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Careers, Businesses & Hobbies”