To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW4/8 Absentees

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

GW4/8 Absentees

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Bobby Fetta wrote:What a mess! Despite so much FPL content around, I still haven't seen a simple summary of who is likely to miss out. Maybe no-one knows, including the clubs.
So, maybe this can be our FISO summary thread. Below is what seems to be the case right now but I can't vouch for accuracy and there may be omission. We can update/revise as information comes in.

Due to miss GW4 through quarantine

Very Likely: Buendia, Martinez, Sanchez (Spurs), Lo Celso, Romero (Spurs)

Unsure: Schupp, Zaha, Djenepo, Dennis, Soyuncu

Due to miss GW4 through FIFA 5-day bans

Very Likely: Ederson, Jimenez, Almiron, Sierralta, Allison, Fabinho, Firmino, Raphinha, Thiago Silva, Jesus, Fred

Possible: Salah

Could miss GW4 through injury

Likely: Coleman (hamstring), Pereira (hamstring), Firmino (hamstring), Wilson (thigh), Joao Pedro (knee)

Uncertain: DCL (calf), Son (calf), KDB (ankle), Foden (foot), Sancho (knock), Tzolis (calf), Foster (hamstring), Lukaku (thigh), ESR (illness)
Last edited by Ruth_NZ on 04 Oct 2021, 12:05, edited 3 times in total.

thelimey
Treebeard

Re: GW4 Absentees

Post by thelimey »

The Times is reporting the Brazilians will get a 5 day ban, Richarlison will be exempt as Everton have good will in the bank with them for letting him play in the Olympics.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Yeah, saw that and updated the OP. Thanks.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Good post Ruth…but there’s already a FISO thread on this.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=133864&p=3555172#p3555172

Maybe add yours there or a green jacket can merge?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Can't we just leave this here for FPL?

I don't want it merged, if someone is unhappy then just delete it.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

slightly different topic this, quite handy to have all the gw4 stuff in one place

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

eastcentral1 wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 12:48 slightly different topic this, quite handy to have all the gw4 stuff in one place
Concur. This is specifically for this weekend so in around 5 days the thread does away naturally. Other thread is broader.

Very interesting to see how this plays out. Pressers will perhaps shed some light?

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 12:41 Good post Ruth…but there’s already a FISO thread on this.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=133864&p=3555172#p3555172

Maybe add yours there or a green jacket can merge?
Have popped a link in that thread to this one rather than merging/deleting etc.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

If Ederson can't play MC have a problem. Steffen is also out it seems.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

raoul wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 14:12 If Ederson can't play MC have a problem. Steffen is also out it seems.
Maybe still having Barnes in my team could work out after all.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Post by SirMattBugsby »

FPL aside, I'm loving this. FIFA deserve getting fire from both sides for not finding better solutions for qualifiers. Just imagine a world without international breaks!

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

an easy solution to wc qualifiers would have been to merge them with other tournaments e.g. conmebol standings or euro finishing places. the main issue with this, however, is that UEFA, FIFA, conmebol and the national FAs each have their own TV deals, and for each of them it is important that the show goes on.

Wildcard Wally
Kevin and Perry

Post by Wildcard Wally »

SirMattBugsby wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 15:01 FPL aside, I'm loving this. FIFA deserve getting fire from both sides for not finding better solutions for qualifiers. Just imagine a world without international breaks!
Balls to FIFA. All the affected clubs should just rebel against them and field the players they're trying to impose this ridiculous ban regardless. Power in numbers and all that...

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

eastcentral1 wrote: An easy solution to wc qualifiers would have been to merge them with other tournaments e.g. conmebol standings or euro finishing places. The main issue with this, however, is that UEFA, FIFA, conmebol and the national FAs each have their own TV deals, and for each of them it is important that the show goes on.
Well, people are tending to look at this from a Euro-centric perspective and especially from the viewpoint of how things impact FPL. There are other things to consider than the PL and its fantasy game. Primarily because of historic economic imbalances, the big money in club football is in Europe's big-5 leagues. Not only do they suck in the best talent from across the continent but nowadays they take it from across the globe.

South America is a football hotbed, always has been, but they are used to their best players departing for Europe where the fans can't see them other than on TV. They therefore set great store in their national teams (much more so than in Europe by and large) and have always taken pride in seeing the European-based players coming home and playing in the national shirt. International football therefore has primacy for them (same in Africa) over club football.

FIFA (whatever you think of it as an organisation) has a duty to foster and stand up for football everywhere, not just in Europe. It also has a financial interest in asserting the standing of international football against the club game. That's where the situation stands. You can say that too many/too lengthy international breaks affect the club season. FIFA would say that the club season should be shorter to accommodate international football, and they do say so because their recommendation is for 18-team leagues and only one domestic cup.

I'm not saying I agree with FIFA. Personally I'm a Chelsea supporter that goes to games and I don't give a damn about England, mostly don't even bother watching them on TV nowadays. But you have to realise that it looks different elsewhere. People complain about meaningless games like England v Andorra but qualifying is generally much harder in CONMEBOL and CAF where there are no minnows in the way there are in Europe.

If you try to skew the balance more towards the interests of the clubs you are arguing that economic power can reasonably be used to bludgeon down the less advantaged and put them in their place. The ESL, which everyone objected to, was attempting to do that same thing. So it seems to me a hypocrisy to be all for fans rights and a level playing field when it comes to your club but not when it comes down to Chilean or Mexican fans whose prime priority is to be able to watch their best players in the national shirt.

This isn't a simple matter when looked at in the round, that's what I'm trying to get at really.

Yard of Grass
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 32nd TFF 2014-15 (Single entrant)

Post by Yard of Grass »

thelimey wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 12:06 The Times is reporting the Brazilians will get a 5 day ban, Richarlison will be exempt as Everton have good will in the bank with them for letting him play in the Olympics.
Goodwill in the bank it just nonsense. Smacks of just making it up as they go along. It's black and white according to their rules unless para 4 subsection 3.1 4 of their rules says if you are called Richarlison and played at the Olympics we will let you off.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

I get your point RNZ but my issue is not with the power struggle, it's with the fact that FIFA has done nothing to reduce travel for qualifiers, even at the height of the pandemic. Through their own selfish reasons, PL clubs have reached the correct decision and stopped that travel. I hope they do it in subsequent breaks as well.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

SirMattBugsby wrote: I get your point RNZ but my issue is not with the power struggle, it's with the fact that FIFA has done nothing to reduce travel for qualifiers, even at the height of the pandemic. Through their own selfish reasons, PL clubs have reached the correct decision and stopped that travel. I hope they do it in subsequent breaks as well.
But the qualifiers aren't scheduled by FIFA, they are organised by CONMEBOL or CAF or UEFA. And I'm not sure how reducing travel could be done anyway. Are you talking about teams not playing in front of their own fans in home games? Would English fans be happy if UEFA arbitrarily decided that England's home games should be played in Croatia or Iceland?

FranckKessie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by FranckKessie »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 17:56 Well, people are tending to look ...
Great post and always worth remembering that there are more perspectives than the ones you hear the most.

That said everything about this is a farce. Were Brasilian players from UK even eligible to play the match? If yes, how can the Argentinians can not? Ohh my gush :lol:

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Thanks for creating the thread Ruth, really useful.

Normally I think I would be on the other side to the big European clubs. But on this I think the national associations are wrong. This is a public health disaster and all this international travel is incredibly irresponsible, particularly for the example it sets to us normal people.

The FAs seem to think they are above the law - e.g. Argentina and Brazil FAs seem to have agreed the exemptions by themself and then been surprised that the Brazilian public health authority enforced the law.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

FranckKessie wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 20:51 That said everything about this is a farce. Were Brasilian players from UK even eligible to play the match? If yes, how can the Argentinians can not? Ohh my gush :lol:
Exactly. As PB has noted already, the Brazilian exemption for Brazilians from the quarantine, whilst enforcing it for Argentinians also coming from the UK, is beyond ridiculous. And completely unfair on a sporting basis

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
SirMattBugsby wrote: I get your point RNZ but my issue is not with the power struggle, it's with the fact that FIFA has done nothing to reduce travel for qualifiers, even at the height of the pandemic. Through their own selfish reasons, PL clubs have reached the correct decision and stopped that travel. I hope they do it in subsequent breaks as well.
But the qualifiers aren't scheduled by FIFA, they are organised by CONMEBOL or CAF or UEFA. And I'm not sure how reducing travel could be done anyway. Are you talking about teams not playing in front of their own fans in home games? Would English fans be happy if UEFA arbitrarily decided that England's home games should be played in Croatia or Iceland?
I don't think anyone would mind qualifiers being held at a single time, single place during these times. Players would atleast have a chance to play without fear of repurcussions or catching Covid.

germainelefoe
Red & Blue Braces

Post by germainelefoe »

Thanks for the OP Ruth, very clearly laid out and useful.

FIFA can go **** themselves.

germainelefoe
Red & Blue Braces

Post by germainelefoe »

Ederson isn't in the OP, should he be?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

germainelefoe wrote: Ederson isn't in the OP, should he be?
Yep, fixed now.

DalianAtkinson
FISOhead

Post by DalianAtkinson »

Yard of Grass wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 19:06
thelimey wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 12:06 The Times is reporting the Brazilians will get a 5 day ban, Richarlison will be exempt as Everton have good will in the bank with them for letting him play in the Olympics.
Goodwill in the bank it just nonsense. Smacks of just making it up as they go along. It's black and white according to their rules unless para 4 subsection 3.1 4 of their rules says if you are called Richarlison and played at the Olympics we will let you off.
The relevant FIFA regulation states that a player who was not released for international duty cannot play for a further 5 days unless their national FA agrees otherwise.

So it's in the rules.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

germainelefoe wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 21:13FIFA can go **** themselves.
Aye. As can Internationalcrap football.

germainelefoe
Red & Blue Braces

Post by germainelefoe »

Still no resolution to the player release situation. Seven of the eight affected managers due to give press conferences today.
https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1 ... 4162004996

As things stands it would appear all of the players caught up in the Brazilian situation are still ineligible this weekend.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

According to Bruce's press conference - Almiron is now available and 'the situation has been resolved.' No idea what the means for the other players - it may just mean that Paraguay has backed down or that all the South Americans get to play.

germainelefoe
Red & Blue Braces

Post by germainelefoe »

Aldershot Rejects wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 10:52 According to Bruce's press conference - Almiron is now available and 'the situation has been resolved.' No idea what the means for the other players - it may just mean that Paraguay has backed down or that all the South Americans get to play.
Yeah just saw Ben Dinnery tweet the quote
Almirón will be able to feature despite Paraguay trying to implement FIFA's five-day rule: "It's a difficult one for the players. They've been drawn into a difficult situation. However, common sense has prevailed and he's available for selection." #NUFC
https://twitter.com/BenDinnery/status/1 ... 7965573138

Surely bodes well for the Brazillians.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”