To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Definitely Maybe (25 today).

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Definitely Maybe (25 today).

Post by murf »

Ride peaked before their first album. Their first 2 or 3 EPs were truly magnificent, again quality throughout, no drop for 'B sides'.

The reformed Ride have just released their 2nd album. Not got it but first was reasonably good (if Nowhere near etc etc). Weird seeing them live (on telly) and seeing them old. Not right.

Pixies have probably now been reformed for twice as long as they were originally together. Kim left years ago but was, I think, still with them longer than their first incarnation. Not sure who the bass player is now but first replacement was also called Kim and sounded suspiciously like Kim D (and wasn't Kim Gordon either).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 20:17
forestfan wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 19:56 Yeah, a lot of the later albums just weren’t that memorable on the whole, each time they seemed to come back saying “yeah, the last one was a bit shit, but this one’s great”. But there’s at least a couple of proper anthems on each. Both Gallaghers have put out solo albums better than later Oasis stuff (even if Liam doesn’t write his own songs, and it’s not quite the same as having both voices on the same album).
Agreed and I'm not fussed for either's solo stuff. You're right about both voices together but I don't want them to reform. Imagine, lots of paunchy blokes with receding hairstyles in their 40s and 50s...nah that's not how I want to remember the time. Plus I saw them perform the last ever time, so that's an extremely small claim to fame I want to cling on to :)
I’d love to see them perform live together again, maybe just a one-off, headlining Glastonbury or a massive stadium gig. Preferably with Bonehead and Guigsy, as opposed to the later replacements or just session guys. I don’t think trying to record new material together would ever work though.

I thought Liam’s solo stuff would be shite (as per Beady Eye, though even they came up with the occasional decent track) - but really liked his album of a couple of years ago. (actually, looking it up, he did write or co-write a lot of the songs.)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

7lb claimer wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 09:55 Oasis the same as many other bands in that the songwriter runs out of ideas and motivation as the millions roll in.
Well, it even happened to Lennon and McCartney eventually, so what hope is there for anyone else?

Not sure it’s particularly down to money, just that it’s a near impossible task to keep churning out new material that’s original, relevant and doesn’t alienate existing fans, over a period of decades.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yep, not many bands turn out more than two top draw albums.

That’s why you have to respect those that do.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Maldini wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 09:52 The Stone Roses was 1989 and part of the original ‘Madchester’ scene with the Happy Mondays, Technique by New Order, The Charlatans, 808 State, James etc.

I was 18. I had the flowery shirts, it was great.

1994, I was 23.

Oasis were Britpop which was, for the most part, pretty dreadful.
I was in to bands like Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, Pavement by then.
Technique. Now that’s a great album 8-)
Oasis 1st 2 albums brilliant, but they didnt mean as much to me as things like Stone Roses, Doolittle, Daydream Nation. Like Maldini and Murf, it was the mid 20’s getting-a-job-and-trying-to-grow-up-a-bit phase

Mind you if DM is 25 years old that must mean that Dummy is as well. Whilst DM might have faded a bit with time, Dummy sounds as great now as it did back then

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

murf wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 21:15 Ride peaked before their first album. Their first 2 or 3 EPs were truly magnificent, again quality throughout, no drop for 'B sides'.

The reformed Ride have just released their 2nd album. Not got it but first was reasonably good (if Nowhere near etc etc). Weird seeing them live (on telly) and seeing them old. Not right.

Pixies have probably now been reformed for twice as long as they were originally together. Kim left years ago but was, I think, still with them longer than their first incarnation. Not sure who the bass player is now but first replacement was also called Kim and sounded suspiciously like Kim D (and wasn't Kim Gordon either).
Got a couple of those EP’s . Ride and (play?)
Might have to dig them out later. Off to Brum first though to have a dig round the Diskery and Swordfish :D

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

unc.si. wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 08:17 Mind you if DM is 25 years old that must mean that Dummy is as well. Whilst DM might have faded a bit with time, Dummy sounds as great now as it did back then
22/08 it was 25 :)

Staggeringly good for a debut.... still sounds brilliant now and sounds surprisingly complete and well produced, especially for a debut album (which usually sound a bit raw). That IS an album that I will actively seek out and play (unlike the aforementioned DM).

I’ve always been drawn to the more somber and morose sounding music (from a very young age) - but weirdly, it was years later that I got in to Portishead. Had tried at the time of them coming out and hadn’t liked it/them. Was probably 99/00 that I got a like for them (was the live in New York album that was the catalyst).

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Looked up the albums of 1994, found this and have to agree with their number 1 (which I would have said was more than 25 years ago although I didn't discover it til a few years after 94) much as I love DM and Let Love In:

https://www.besteveralbums.com/yearstats.php?y=1994

PS Never 'got' Portishead. All a bit dull for me as you would expect for a Bristol suburb.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

murf wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 11:12 Looked up the albums of 1994, found this and have to agree with their number 1 (which I would have said was more than 25 years ago although I didn't discover it til a few years after 94) much as I love DM and Let Love In:

https://www.besteveralbums.com/yearstats.php?y=1994

PS Never 'got' Portishead. All a bit dull for me as you would expect for a Bristol suburb.
I love that Portishead album. That sound is so unique and completely out of place with a lot of mid 90s stuff. I bought it on vinyl a few years back

I notice that Green Day are in there too, Dookie is also a great album and I caught them live at one of the V Festivals around 96/97. Got the crowd to chant "eff of you yankee bustards at them" and also pulled a young lad out of the crowd to play Billie Joe's guitar and when they left they set fire to part of the stage :lol:

The Weezer album is quite high up. I've got - somewhere - Undone (The Sweater Song) on blue vinyl, I'm sure it's off that album. I thought Eels may be there but its perhaps a year to early. Probably my favourite band of that "lo-fi" genre.

Looking at some of the artists, it really tales me back to my lunch breaks working in town and just buying 3 or 4 vinyl singles/CD singles/even cassette singles in Virgin or HMV......ahhhh to turn back the clock

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 23:01
7lb claimer wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 09:55 Oasis the same as many other bands in that the songwriter runs out of ideas and motivation as the millions roll in.
Well, it even happened to Lennon and McCartney eventually, so what hope is there for anyone else?

Not sure it’s particularly down to money, just that it’s a near impossible task to keep churning out new material that’s original, relevant and doesn’t alienate existing fans, over a period of decades.
I disagree. My favourite Beatles Album is Revolver, closely followed by St Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour. They kept on experimenting, to the point where The White Album has some well weird stuff on it, but some quality too. They actually knocked it on the head at the right time - 1970 - otherwise they may well have run out of ideas.

For example, you could say "Tomorrow Never Knows" is the first ever dance tune, with loops, playbacks etc. Also, the guitar riff on "Revolution" later has a hint of heavy metal about it, They just did so much musically and have influenced a lot, from the obvious Oasis/Paul Weller to the less obvious likes of Black Sabbath and Nirvana.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 12:00
forestfan wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 23:01

I disagree. My favourite Beatles Album is Revolver, closely followed by St Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour. They kept on experimenting, to the point where The White Album has some well weird stuff on it, but some quality too. They actually knocked it on the head at the right time - 1970 - otherwise they may well have run out of ideas.

For example, you could say "Tomorrow Never Knows" is the first ever dance tune, with loops, playbacks etc. Also, the guitar riff on "Revolution" later has a hint of heavy metal about it, They just did so much musically and have influenced a lot, from the obvious Oasis/Paul Weller to the less obvious likes of Black Sabbath and Nirvana.
I meant more their solo stuff than later Beatles. Some gems among it, but far less consistently.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

25 years since Knebworth :shock:

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

forestfan wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 09:44 25 years since Knebworth :shock:
Nope. There must be some kind of mistake. That can't have been 25 years ago!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, where did that quarter of a century go?

When I was there, I got my mum to tape it off Radio 1 for me and I still own the recording, now in digital format, so been having a listen… it’s still never been officially released, but looks like a film is coming out later this year!

Official merchandise now re-released on the Oasis website as well, for anyone else who had theirs lost/stolen at uni back in the day :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:25 years since Knebworth :shock:
26 years then since Noel or Liam did anything good!

Was actually out last night with one of my mates I was at Knebworth with. Probably hadn't seen him in 5 years. Spooky coincidence.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

From the recording, just heard the bit where they get the crowd singing “Who the eff are Man United”. After an impromptu rendition of “Football’s Coming Home”… some things don’t change in a quarter of a century. Others do, like City being shite and United being an unstoppable dominant force…

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Turned the radio on earlier, they were playing New Order's brilliant classic Blue Monday

At the end they said it was FORTY years ago today it was released.

Blue Monday. 40 years old. What is happening to time????.?

I've just worked out that the release of Blue Monday was closer to the second world war than it is to today. That kinda blows my mind.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”