To see less ads Register or Login

SPOTY 2019

A forum for fixed-odds betting discussion and tips including sports betting such as horse racing
User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 98634
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: locked down somewhere (probably at home then)
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
Contact:

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by murf »

...ironically because he has a 'personality'!

You may or may not like it but at least he isn't a bland PR machine leached of personality by media training and a fear of scaring sponsors.

Immense talent and success removes that fear and gives them freedom to be a personality. See also Hamilton and Fury (although I think he skipped the media training bit entirely).

User avatar
Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 26528
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
Location: Home
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by Surprised »

Ronnie is a snowflake. He needs to stop whining like a toddler.

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by blahblah »

Surprised wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 11:49 Ronnie is a snowflake. He needs to stop whining like a toddler.
Why a snowflake?

User avatar
Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 26528
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
Location: Home
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by Surprised »

blahblah wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 11:55
Surprised wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 11:49 Ronnie is a snowflake. He needs to stop whining like a toddler.
Why a snowflake?
Because he's always moaning. Whining about other players, whining about having to play too much, whining that he doesn't like playing. It's a bore seeing his interviews.

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 22305
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by forestfan »

Surprised wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 11:27
forestfan wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 11:16 Just because you don’t like him personally doesn’t mean he’s not a valid candidate who others will vote for...
True. Still hope he comes a distant last. He's a good player but a horrible person.
I think “troubled person” is more accurate, obviously doesn’t excuse him everything he says/does, but I expected him to self-destruct like Alex Higgins, which makes it even more remarkable he’s still winning after so many years.

Likewise Fury, who has a more sinister history of using discriminatory language etc. but seeing what he’s been through gives me rather more sympathy for him. I used to think he was just a fat loudmouth who would get found out the moment he fought someone half decent, and was looking forward to that day... still want to see AJ put him in his place, to an extent.

User avatar
Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 26528
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
Location: Home
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by Surprised »

forestfan wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 12:29
Surprised wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 11:27
forestfan wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 11:16 Just because you don’t like him personally doesn’t mean he’s not a valid candidate who others will vote for...
True. Still hope he comes a distant last. He's a good player but a horrible person.
I think “troubled person” is more accurate, obviously doesn’t excuse him everything he says/does, but I expected him to self-destruct like Alex Higgins, which makes it even more remarkable he’s still winning after so many years.

Likewise Fury, who has a more sinister history of using discriminatory language etc. but seeing what he’s been through gives me rather more sympathy for him. I used to think he was just a fat loudmouth who would get found out the moment he fought someone half decent, and was looking forward to that day... still want to see AJ put him in his place, to an extent.
I agree with that.

Striker
FISO Knight
Posts: 10902
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by Striker »

Looking at the current odds, the best bet based on real achievement at the highest level would be Fury top three at 6/5. It would be nonsense to argue that Holly Doyle, Jordan Henderson or Stuart Broad have achieved more on the sporting stage. Mind you the British public is so biased in certain directions, I'm not sure that I'll actually place a bet.

User avatar
unc.si.
Dumbledore
Posts: 9201
Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 14:08
Location: Off to buy Loctite
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by unc.si. »

Hamilton is fresh in the mind, plus now 'officially' the GOAT in F1 (obviously not everyone will agree with that but there's surely no doubt that he's at least one of the greatest ever).

I have no idea why, but I looked at the Sun comments section about the SPOTY nominations to see what the man on the clapham omnibus might think of it. Apparently there are more than a few people that think he's only nominated because of the colour of his skin. The 7 world titles, 98 pole positions and however many individual wins have nothing to do with it, its just PC gone mad. Those readers comments sections really aren't very nice places at all.

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by blahblah »

But then he has won a lot of one horse races?

User avatar
unc.si.
Dumbledore
Posts: 9201
Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 14:08
Location: Off to buy Loctite
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by unc.si. »

blahblah wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 16:43 But then he has won a lot of one horse races?
well no idea. I don't really 'get' F1 to be honest. he does have a mate on an identical twin horse though that he seems to beat quite often.

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 16:49
blahblah wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 16:43 But then he has won a lot of one horse races?
well no idea. I don't really 'get' F1 to be honest. he does have a mate on an identical twin horse though that he seems to beat quite often.
Nor do I tbh, but there are Team Orders and a dedicated No1...... ?

User avatar
unc.si.
Dumbledore
Posts: 9201
Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 14:08
Location: Off to buy Loctite
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by unc.si. »

And presumably a dedicated Number two. Don't fancy that job to be honest

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by blahblah »

It does sound a bit shit?

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 22305
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by forestfan »

Obviously being in the best car helps. But you don’t get the best car, and stay in it for years, unless you have the talent (even if some drivers have been lucky, or otherwise, with the timing of moves). And he just has that extra level when he needs it, to win a race from down the grid, or win by a distance in tricky conditions.

Bottas might largely know his place, but evidence over a few years has shown he’s basically what the team want in terms of being fast enough to keep Hamilton honest but not quite consistently good enough to be a threat to him over the course of a season. It will be interesting to see how stand-in George Russell measures up to him next week.

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by blahblah »

But Hamilton has only had other bod to beat for years?

Which one they have kept is a balance between cash from Sponsors and driving ability?

User avatar
Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 26528
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
Location: Home
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by Surprised »

Striker wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 15:29 Looking at the current odds, the best bet based on real achievement at the highest level would be Fury top three at 6/5. It would be nonsense to argue that Holly Doyle, Jordan Henderson or Stuart Broad have achieved more on the sporting stage. Mind you the British public is so biased in certain directions, I'm not sure that I'll actually place a bet.
Fury has requested his name is withdrawn.

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 22305
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 17:08 But Hamilton has only had other bod to beat for years?

Which one they have kept is a balance between cash from Sponsors and driving ability?
The top teams like Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull don’t use pay-drivers, even if teams further down the grid do.

Probably no team has dominated for quite as long in the past, but there’s usually been one clearly “best” car at any point in time. Not every driver who gets the opportunity makes the most of it. Team-mates are the clearest yardstick, but sometimes a driver just has an aura about him, another gear when it’s needed, and I think Hamilton sits alongside Schumacher and Senna in that regard. If the three of them had raced each other in their prime with the same equipment, who knows... it’s like Pele v Maradona v Messi :wink:

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 22305
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by forestfan »

And as some have pointed out, he’s never blatantly cheated by ramming a rival off the track, unlike the aforementioned predecessors...

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by blahblah »

His crash going into the Pit Lane was 😂😂😂😂 though

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 98634
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: locked down somewhere (probably at home then)
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
Contact:

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:
blahblah wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 17:08 But Hamilton has only had other bod to beat for years?

Which one they have kept is a balance between cash from Sponsors and driving ability?
The top teams like Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull don’t use pay-drivers, even if teams further down the grid do.

Probably no team has dominated for quite as long in the past, but there’s usually been one clearly “best” car at any point in time. Not every driver who gets the opportunity makes the most of it. Team-mates are the clearest yardstick, but sometimes a driver just has an aura about him, another gear when it’s needed, and I think Hamilton sits alongside Schumacher and Senna in that regard. If the three of them had raced each other in their prime with the same equipment, who knows... it’s like Pele v Maradona v Messi :wink:
Someone said that both Schuey and Lewis won 4 titles in the best car and 3 in one that wasn't.

Hamilton has been astoundingly good this year, even though he didn't really need to be.

User avatar
sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 2643
Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 14:45
Location: Hertfordshire
FS Record: TFC Lions 2nd in League of Leagues Triumph. Draft FPL/TFF Combo League Winner 2018-19

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by sibrown4 »

forestfan wrote:
sibrown4 wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 00:02 Disappointed that they missed out on Jonathan Rea and Teo G-H
Probably because 95% of people haven’t heard of them, and they want it to be a public award not one earned through a campaign from fans of a niche sport (which has come close to happening with rugby league players in the past, when nobody south of Sheffield or north of York would have voted for them...)

TGH will have his day if and when he wins the Tour de France or Olympic gold, which are the only things that register with the vast majority here. And Superbikes isn’t exactly competitive these days, though I guess you could say the same about F1...
I take your point about Teo (although his achievement in winning the Giro is up there with the best of the year).

I cant accept your point about Rea however not least because he actually finished 2nd in 2017 thereby proving Superbikes is not only widely popular but has been acknowledged by the BBC as such.

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 22305
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by forestfan »

sibrown4 wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 02:59
forestfan wrote:
sibrown4 wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 00:02 Disappointed that they missed out on Jonathan Rea and Teo G-H
Probably because 95% of people haven’t heard of them, and they want it to be a public award not one earned through a campaign from fans of a niche sport (which has come close to happening with rugby league players in the past, when nobody south of Sheffield or north of York would have voted for them...)

TGH will have his day if and when he wins the Tour de France or Olympic gold, which are the only things that register with the vast majority here. And Superbikes isn’t exactly competitive these days, though I guess you could say the same about F1...
I take your point about Teo (although his achievement in winning the Giro is up there with the best of the year).

I cant accept your point about Rea however not least because he actually finished 2nd in 2017 thereby proving Superbikes is not only widely popular but has been acknowledged by the BBC as such.
That was one of the main reasons they reduced the length of the shortlist though I expect, a “near miss” in terms of getting a winner most people in the country haven’t heard of. It’s not about which minority sport can recruit most of its followers to vote.

User avatar
sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 2643
Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 14:45
Location: Hertfordshire
FS Record: TFC Lions 2nd in League of Leagues Triumph. Draft FPL/TFF Combo League Winner 2018-19

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by sibrown4 »

Let’s agree to disagree. He is more well known than you are giving him credit for.

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 22305
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by forestfan »

sibrown4 wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 17:38 Let’s agree to disagree. He is more well known than you are giving him credit for.
I’d be surprised if many people who aren’t real motorcycling aficionados would know him if they passed him in the street, let alone have voted for him. Perhaps in Northern Ireland (I think he’s Northern Irish isn’t he, unless I’m thinking of someone else?)

No idea even what channel Superbikes is on these days. When it was on the BBC in the days of Fogarty then perhaps fair enough. Rightly or not, these sports won’t get wider public recognition until they see sense and bring back Grandstand...

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 22305
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by forestfan »

So, Tyson Fury still on the list, will they be left with egg on their faces having to crown him the winner?

Will be a strange show with no audience and a limited amount of action to review. Music from Rick Astley (yes, really...) and Celeste (when did she split with Daphne?)

MaciejDawe
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 Sep 2021, 09:20

Re: SPOTY 2019

Post by MaciejDawe »

Surprised wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 11:27
forestfan wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 11:16 Just because you don’t like him personally doesn’t mean he’s not a valid candidate who others will vote for...
True. Still hope he comes a distant last. He's a good player but a horrible person.
That's the case with many players.... :D

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts
Post Reply

Return to “The Betting Forum”