To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pub Talk & Matchday Banter 2020/21

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Re: The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pub Talk & Matchday Banter 2020/21

Post by Mav3rick »

Let's not get Stem excited....

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Mav3rick wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:36 It's not like they didn't try to replace Lovren, it's just that the various suitors were really too much money and it's pretty unlikely that both your CBs get hit with season ending injuries anyway (Matip, Fabinho and R Williams are decent 2nd/3rd/4th choice cover for a month or so injury or rotation - it's only when VVD and Gomez are both out for the season that the decision looks short sighted).

Whether the club go big and lineup a Gomez replacement (in the starting XI) in January will be interesting to see, using Chelsea as an example, even an old war horse with a year left in his legs can make a significant difference in the short term.
Fabinho is Liverpool's 4th choice centre back - Surely only Chelsea can boast similar depth? They've just been very unlucky there. I think people still don't think of him as a centre back, but he's extremely good there. Philips is proving pretty good as well.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Mav3rick wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:41 Let's not get Stem excited....
Yeah, if he ever comes back...

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

hancockjr wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:32
Ruth_NZ wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:15
hancockjr wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote: Klopp is such a fraud. He moans about not being able to use his squad, too many injuries and so on but there's no reason whatsoever why Tsimikas, Origi and Minamino couldn't be starting tonight. The worst that could happen (if they lost) would be that they'd need to beat Midtjylland in R6 to go through. He just doesn't like playing less than his best XI in PL & CL games is all. And the domestic cups he doesn't care about at all, the sooner they lose the better it suits him.
We all wait for the time one so wise as you can be Liverpool's manager rather than the current "fraudulent" incumbent.
Maybe you didn't see his interviews after the Brighton 1-1? He attacked BT (and blamed them for Milner's injury) for televising them at 12:30 instead of 15:00. He called Chris Wilder selfish for being reluctant about 5 subs. He claimed that he'd like to have subbed Robertson off for Tsimikas "simply to protect the player" but couldn't because he only had 3 subs. And then he starts Robertson again 3 days later. Doubtless if Robertson picks up an injury tonight it will once again be someone else's fault, not his.

He's a fraud. He doesn't like not being able to play his first XI in the CL & PL and expects that everyone else should revolve around enabling that. Every other manager in a similar position accepts that there will need to be rotation in this difficult season. If Liverpool's squad isn't deep enough, who's fault is that? Who's fault is it that they sold Lovren and let Clyne go without replacing either? They can't expect to get away with so few injuries as they have had in the last 2 seasons forever.
I saw it and agreed with most of the content, but not the way or time it was delivered. Though I expect Klopp also didn't agree with that on reflection, that makes him honest though, not a fraud.

Aside from Murf's very valid points, the option was to play a further weakened team tonight, including none of the first choice back 5 by your suggestion, increasing the chance of a defeat, increasing the chance of a very hard game chasing the result, putting even more pressure on the other 8, and then if they lose having to do it all again at Midtjylland, a club who are good enough to be winning away at Atalanta. Instead they are increasing their chances of winning tonight, which will enable proper resting in R6 assuming top spot is not in doubt.

Probably a better description of a fraud is someone who purports to know more than one of the world's very best coaches.
to be one of the world's very best coaches doesn't make him likeable to me, he is a bad loser, I know that from interviews in Germany during his years at Dortmund.
To be fair, the above mentioned interview was by far not the worst! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Malrom on 01 Dec 2020, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

hayesag
Dumbledore
FS Record: piss poor

Post by hayesag »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:38
Mav3rick wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:36 even an old war horse with a year left in his legs can make a significant difference in the short term.
Phil Jones might be available. :wink:
pick me gaffer :lol:

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Post by Stevieste »

Already got 3 Villa players on the bench and cant trust man city players.

If i do it tonight i have exact funds to do

Sterling to KDB
Foden to Mahrez -4

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:43
Mav3rick wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:41 Let's not get Stem excited....
Yeah, if he ever comes back...
The mere mention of Phil Jones will summon him. He probably has a Google alert setup.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

hayesag wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:49 pick me gaffer :lol:

The many faces of Phil Jones.

Well, just the one face, repeated many times. :lol:

hayesag
Dumbledore

Post by hayesag »

Stevieste wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:49 Already got 3 Villa players on the bench and cant trust man city players.

Sterling to KDB
Foden to Mahrez -4
if you fall for the mahrez trap you only have yourself to blame :D

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Kelleher is MotM here.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Mav3rick wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:50 The mere mention of Phil Jones will summon him. He probably has a Google alert setup.
:lol:

Can someone beam a Phil Jones bat signal into the night sky?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

hayesag wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:50
Stevieste wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:49 Already got 3 Villa players on the bench and cant trust man city players.

Sterling to KDB
Foden to Mahrez -4
True. Frying pan to fire move. If you’re going to take a hit make it for a certain starter, Stevie

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

Malrom wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:47
hancockjr wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote: Klopp is such a fraud. He moans about not being able to use his squad, too many injuries and so on but there's no reason whatsoever why Tsimikas, Origi and Minamino couldn't be starting tonight. The worst that could happen (if they lost) would be that they'd need to beat Midtjylland in R6 to go through. He just doesn't like playing less than his best XI in PL & CL games is all. And the domestic cups he doesn't care about at all, the sooner they lose the better it suits him.
We all wait for the time one so wise as you can be Liverpool's manager rather than the current "fraudulent" incumbent.
Maybe you didn't see his interviews after the Brighton 1-1? He attacked BT (and blamed them for Milner's injury) for televising them at 12:30 instead of 15:00. He called Chris Wilder selfish for being reluctant about 5 subs. He claimed that he'd like to have subbed Robertson off for Tsimikas "simply to protect the player" but couldn't because he only had 3 subs. And then he starts Robertson again 3 days later. Doubtless if Robertson picks up an injury tonight it will once again be someone else's fault, not his.

He's a fraud. He doesn't like not being able to play his first XI in the CL & PL and expects that everyone else should revolve around enabling that. Every other manager in a similar position accepts that there will need to be rotation in this difficult season. If Liverpool's squad isn't deep enough, who's fault is that? Who's fault is it that they sold Lovren and let Clyne go without replacing either? They can't expect to get away with so few injuries as they have had in the last 2 seasons forever.
I saw it and agreed with most of the content, but not the way or time it was delivered. Though I expect Klopp also didn't agree with that on reflection, that makes him honest though, not a fraud.

Aside from Murf's very valid points, the option was to play a further weakened team tonight, including none of the first choice back 5 by your suggestion, increasing the chance of a defeat, increasing the chance of a very hard game chasing the result, putting even more pressure on the other 8, and then if they lose having to do it all again at Midtjylland, a club who are good enough to be winning away at Atalanta. Instead they are increasing their chances of winning tonight, which will enable proper resting in R6 assuming top spot is not in doubt.

Probably a better description of a fraud is someone who purports to know more than one of the world's very best coaches.
to be one of the world's very best coaches doesn't make him likeable to me, he is a bad loser, I know that from interviews in Germany during his years at Dortmund.
To be fair, the above mentionde interview was by far not the worst! :lol: :lol:
Indeed, no-one has to like him. Fergie wasn't very likeable either. Apparently he's extremely unpopular with journalists in general. Equally though people who work with him rarely have a bad word to say. MAke of that what you will.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Mav3rick wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:50 Kelleher is MotM here.
🇮🇪 😎

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Post by Stevieste »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:52
hayesag wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:50

Sterling to KDB
Foden to Mahrez -4
True. Frying pan to fire move. If you’re going to take a hit make it for a certain starter, Stevie
So Sterling to KDB (C) and hope Foden and Cancelo get a least a point 🤷‍♂️

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

Ever since we brought on Labyad we were playing with 10 men.

Should have gotten at least a point, now need a win against Atalanta. :roll:

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

hancockjr wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:53
Malrom wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:47
hancockjr wrote:

To be fair, the above mentionde interview was by far not the worst! :lol: :lol:
Indeed, no-one has to like him. Fergie wasn't very likeable either. Apparently he's extremely unpopular with journalists in general. Equally though people who work with him rarely have a bad word to say. MAke of that what you will.
the same with Jose......

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

Not sure that Jose was as popular with staff (all of them, not just the players who were in the side).

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

hancockjr wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:58 Not sure that Jose was as popular with staff (all of them, not just the players who were in the side).
you can't be everybod's darling... :wink: :wink:

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Well City and Liverpool both group winners, so the last game will presumably be all change for both and a rest for the first teamers.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

hancockjr wrote:Aside from Murf's very valid points, the option was to play a further weakened team tonight, including none of the first choice back 5 by your suggestion, increasing the chance of a defeat, increasing the chance of a very hard game chasing the result, putting even more pressure on the other 8, and then if they lose having to do it all again at Midtjylland, a club who are good enough to be winning away at Atalanta. Instead they are increasing their chances of winning tonight, which will enable proper resting in R6 assuming top spot is not in doubt.

I think you are wilfully setting up and then demolishing a strawman. Well done. But that's all you are accomplishing here.

I don't purport to know more than Klopp, the very idea is ridiculous. As it happens, I didn't disagree in the slightest with his team selection tonight, I understood the reasons for it (as you laid them out) and they made obvious sense. I have not suggested that he do any different, merely observed that he could have if the players' status was as dire as he has been suggesting.

What makes Klopp a fraud - and the only thing I am calling out - is the obvious contradiction between his comments and his actions. If Robertson needed "protection" at the weekend but couldn't be subbed, how come he plays 90m 3 days later when 5 subs are available? Klopp makes the case that all he wants is protection for the players - from Chris Wilder, from BT, from the FA - but in that case he should protect them himself. If not he's being duplicitous and wanting everything his own way, which is a nice way to say A FRAUD. :)

hayesag
Dumbledore

Post by hayesag »

Dont get the FRAUD comments :shock: . Doesnt every manager lie through their backside before matchdays? Why would u want to reveal which of your best players are going to play for definite and in turn give the opposition the upper hand. Its like saying this is my team and im going to play all out attack in a 2-4-4 formation. :lol: Come on now Ruth have a word with yourself. The way premier league managers act is no different to what we have to put up with from our very own politicians. Whether you choose to believe the bull crap coming out their mouth is another thing but calling someone a fraud for doing their job? nah you need to come up with a better term than that :)

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

I made some of the same observations about Klopp at the weekend. FWIW I do think fraud is the wrong word, maybe disingenuous would be a better fit if only because it is less antagonistic when there are reasonable discussion points about how each manager approaches playing their squad; and approaches the media. There’s also a degree of shaping the narrative to suit - as suggested above, something that other top managers were wont to do: Fergie (Time), Arsene (I didn’t see it), Jose (where would we begin?)

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

They're all bullshit merchants to varying degrees, the press conferences used to be a fairly reliable source of information, but they're full of half truths and often complete lies. Not that I blame them much, they're seeking to gain whatever advantage they can. The best information increasingly comes out of journalists and leaks. You can't trust everything you read on twitter, but I trust that more than I trust a manager in a press conference!

The honourable exception to all this is Bielsa, who will not only tell you which players he is going to play at the weekend, but will give you a 2 hour PowerPoint presentation explaining why :lol:

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

Yes, Bielsa is unique in many ways. Comfortably the manager with the most integrity ever seen in the Prem, making it ironic "spygate" (incorrectly) suggested the opposite.

Ruth
- Robertson (the only first choice defender) played 90 minutes as they needed to win, so that he can be rested next week.
- Klopp says players are being put through too much because it's true, injuries are up about 40% and not just at Liverpool, and resting is complicated and difficult in the real world. He does it, Mane last week as a single example among many.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Yes, but whose fault is it if Liverpool's squad isn't deep enough? Theirs. If Tsimikas isn't a good enough stand-in for Robertson in a season which everyone knew would be difficult then they should have bought someone that is. If they sell Lovren for €15m and choose not to replace him then they need to accept the consequences, as Pep did when City didn't replace Kompany last season and then had Laporte seriously injured. They don't have a right to have that accommodated and there's a nasty smell of wanting/expecting everything to be arranged to suit Liverpool in Klopp's recent comments.

As it happens I think it's ludicrous that we don't have 5 subs when every other major league in Europe (and the EFL) have that. I just don't take kindly to all this "always the victim, never at fault" stuff. Imagine thanking the broadcaster for the injury to one of his players. I mean, seriously?

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

Yeah Klopp has been going on about this for some time, we had the same thing last year when he played a joke of a side against Villa in the Carling cup QF just before the world club cup, and did the same against Shrewsbury in the fa cup when he kept saying the winter break needs to be respected etc etc. He essentially uses the domestic cups to make a point, and frequently treats football matches in all competitions as a massive inconvenience from his job of, erm... being a football manager.

However, I do have some sympathy, as he's essentially in an impossible position. He can moan as much as he likes, but the inconvenient truth for Klopp is that his own employer is obsessed with creating as much money as possible, player welfare be damned. They take the broadcasters 50 pieces of silver every season, and are bound to its contractual arrangements. If they don't like it then they can not be on TV, but the bank balance would suffer too much to do that. Even worse for Klopp, Liverpool (along with the other top 6), are constantly trying to hatch plans for European super leagues, bigger club world cups, expanded champions leagues, and such like, which of course bring many more fixtures, but also much more money. Of course these extra fixtures that destroy player welfare don't count because they're money spinning ones, so that's fine.

Klopps left wing values are well known. And I do believe he is compassionate and cares for his players. Which must make for some uncomfortable night's sleeps as his club strives to turn domestic and European football into a closed shop to make the rich richer. It's either that or he's in denial about what is going on.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

TheRumourMill wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 00:44 It's either that or he's in denial about what is going on.
Klopp in de Nile...

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

You mean he can't walk on water?! :)

I agree with the general point that he is being rather disingenuous when it comes to this issue of scheduling. But to call him a fraud seems somewhat disingenuous in itself when almost all managers engage in deliberate charade and propaganda warfare.

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Lucky »

Stevieste wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 17:44
Aldershot Rejects wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 17:38 Just realised that in fanteam my two keepers are Martinez & Darlow. That's Stevieste levels of misfortune. :cry:
I swapped Mitrovic to Watkins for a -4 last night in that after seen he was dropped 🤦🏼‍♂️

Having just lost 3 players in FPL, i gurantee pep plays Cancelo, Sterling and Foden tonight amd leaves me missing 6 players weekend before its even started.
Did you consider that Kilman is no longer a guaranteed starter? We should go on the prayer mat to avoid any further injuries or Covid cases.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”