To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Great TV Series

Post by trampie »

Watched the Hillary docu's, seems as if politically people either strongly like her or strongly dislike her, the press seem to have given her a hard time for decades.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Tom_Nook wrote: 18 May 2020, 18:55 It's terrible.

There's more intimidating hamsters than the main gang leader. Quite possibly the worst casting I've ever seen.
Didn’t realise initially that it was Joe Cole (not that one - AKA the expendable Shelby brother...)

Catelyn Stark and Walder Frey are in it as well, wonder if they will come face to face :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

trampie wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 00:02 Watched the Hillary docu's, seems as if politically people either strongly like her or strongly dislike her, the press seem to have given her a hard time for decades.
They are just a despicable couple.... go read the Evans-Pritchard book 😉

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Black is the new black (BBC) is really good.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Finished The Woods - Mr & Mrs HH verdict.

I read that book and it was excellent, another one that fails to make the transition.

Got two episodes left of The Dark S3. This is mind blowingly complex.

Stena Bib
FISOhead
FS Record: Finished 530 FPL 2018/19

Post by Stena Bib »

Year and Years [2019]

Stars Emma Thompson , 8.4 rating IMDB. Its on Netflix

Thought this was absolutely brilliant.
[PM me if you cant find it. have a link to google drive]

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Stena Bib wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 19:44 Year and Years [2019]

Stars Emma Thompson , 8.4 rating IMDB. Its on Netflix

Thought this was absolutely brilliant.
[PM me if you cant find it. have a link to google drive]
Was on BBC last year. Seems to have been a bit “Marmite” but I loved it. Anyone offended by diversity should steer well clear though, they manage to get every single minority group you could think of into a single family :lol: Emma Thompson plays basically a political Katie Hopkins...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Emma is marmite?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 21:21 Emma is marmite?
I mean the show itself was Marmite. Got good reviews but not sure the viewing figures matched. A bit far-fetched at times but portrayed an increasingly dystopian world of the 2020s and ‘30s, so perhaps won’t prove that wide of the mark.

Her character certainly would have divided opinion given she was a far-right politician...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I meant she as a thespian is. Not a clue what she saw in Ken beyond a career move, but hey ho....

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Years and Years had its moments. More even than most modern dramas they tried too hard to fit in every kind of diverse character they could think of at the expense of forgetting the traditional ones who form most of society!

6/10

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 21:51 Years and Years had its moments. More even than most modern dramas they tried too hard to fit in every kind of diverse character they could think of at the expense of forgetting the traditional ones who form most of society!

6/10
I think Russell T Davies accepted that the amount of diversity was beyond what was realistic for one extended family, but just wanted to fit all those elements of society into the narrative!

Anyway, the episode with the Channel crossing was one of the hardest hitting hours of drama I’ve seen this side of Westeros...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

The channel crossing was pretty horrific but the choices made by the characters were pretty contrived and unrealistic leading up to the inevitable.

(Can't remember details but remember thinking that!)

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Superb last episode of dark it all came together very well. 9.9 on IMDb.

Stena Bib
FISOhead

Post by Stena Bib »

Just finished watching : Little Fires Everywhere (2020) IMDB 7.8

Thought it was very good a bit like : Big Little Lies

Reese Witherspoon was one of the executive producers on both.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Stena Bib wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 16:30 Just finished watching : Little Fires Everywhere (2020) IMDB 7.8

I thought the Little fires was more than watchable. I haven't seen Little lies....

Stena Bib
FISOhead

Post by Stena Bib »

blahblah wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 16:33
Stena Bib wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 16:30 Just finished watching : Little Fires Everywhere (2020) IMDB 7.8

I thought the Little fires was more than watchable. I haven't seen Little lies....

Spoiler Alert

TBH i think this kind of mirrors the divisions of society right now

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

THE SABOTEURS (2015) - 5/10 (Worth Watching)
THE HEAVY WATER WAR (Alternative worldwide English title)

Seasons 1 / Episodes 6 / NORWAY

Languages
Norwegian (with English subtitles)
English
German (with English subtitles)
Danish (with English subtitles)

WWII

Plot: The story behind Hitler's plan of Germany getting the atomic bomb during WW2, and the heavy water sabotages in Rjukan, Norway, seen from four angles, the German side, the allied, the saboteurs and the company side.

I never see this when it was on C4 - somehow I missed it back in 2016 so just found it on an unofficial streaming website I use and binged watched all 6 episodes back to back last night. Please don't be put off by my low grade, I am notoriously tight with my marks and almost everything gets a 4,5 or 6 with me - it has to be something really special to get 7+ and be really bad to get 3-. Please bare this in mind when deciding what to watch based on my marks.

For me I think one of the biggest issues is I had seen this story before in the film 'The Heroes of Telemark' which made me know what was going to occur pretty much step by step before it occurred. I also felt a lot of the pacing was slow especially with side stories. What was interesting though was seeing how people had to make hard choices, and very often they were between a rock and hard place, trying to see/predict a bigger picture and "sniff" potential outcomes. Kampen om tungtvannet (UK title The Saboteurs) gives a broad overview, through different angles and participants, of a successful, yet controversial operation. It is also - very much to my liking - had characters of different nationalities that were played by respective representatives of those countries, so different languages heard are always correct and without accent. I wish more period films/TV series would do this. I am all for genuine languages with English subtitles over everyone speaking English or worse dubbing to English in TV series and films. Forgive me I digressed - back to The Saboteurs, the run of scenes is not always smooth, some of them are excessive and tensions are sometimes fading, but still - this series is worth watching, at least for Northern Europeans interested in the events during WWII not commonly known of.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3280150/reference

https://images.app.goo.gl/idGVQKJoZViDjdc6A

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Mr and Mrs HH are enjoying the lowly IMDb rated bbc Australian series on at the moment called the secrets she keeps. Simple story to follow which makes a nice change these days after Dark and The Woods.

Stena Bib
FISOhead

Post by Stena Bib »

happyhoppy wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 10:16 Mr and Mrs HH are enjoying the lowly IMDb rated bbc Australian series on at the moment called the secrets she keeps. Simple story to follow which makes a nice change these days after Dark and The Woods.
Downloaded and watched 1st episode, like it so far.

I like the Australian setting , Also liked : Frayed [2019] IMDB 7.3 A bit corny , but watchable also starred Diane Morgan [Philomena Cunk]

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

happyhoppy wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 10:16 Mr and Mrs HH are enjoying the lowly IMDb rated bbc Australian series on at the moment called the secrets she keeps. Simple story to follow which makes a nice change these days after Dark and The Woods.
I think I have read glowing reviews etc of this. Which Channel is\was it on?

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Which one blah

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Aussie one

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Found it on IPlayer, just started and is a brilliant first few mins with the dark cover of Kylie's I can't......

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

Just got round to finally watching TEOTFW and thought it was very good.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

trampie wrote:Just got round to finally watching TEOTFW and thought it was very good.
S1 or S2?

I loved 1 but haven't yet watched 2 for some reason or other.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

murf wrote:
trampie wrote:Just got round to finally watching TEOTFW and thought it was very good.
S1 or S2?

S2 not as good as is often the case

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

happyhoppy wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 18:43 Which one blah
BBC1 so should get on iPlayer

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

murf wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 10:37
S1 or S2?

Both, I thought S2 was good but S1 was much better imo.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

Watched the first part of the Murdoch empire thing, what a powerful manipulative person he is.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”