To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Water of Life, OR "Well, I'll be dram'd..."

A tasty forum for discussion on Food & Drinks topics
jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Re: The Water of Life, OR "Well, I'll be dram'd..."

Post by jimmy ching »

What a way to do a review as your wife leaves for good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... uGLEtapOX8

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

Anyone watch any of the Ralfy Reviews on YouTube - quite addicted to them!

Just noticed they have announced Hibiki 17 will be made no more pushing the price up to £500 - £600 a bottle and rising due to rarity. Have a bottle tucked away.

Friend has an Ardbeg Rollercoaster (now circa £700 a bottle).

With both having sons at 5 years old we have 13 years until we have a trip to scotland to crack them open on what could be the most expensive session ever (on paper at least)!

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

https://www.whatsyourwhisky.com/en-gb/intro

Tried this where they ask questions about your food tastes and recommend whiskies you'd like.

I was suspicious but it came up with-
Talisker
Talisker Skye
Caol Ila

Not bad

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Knulpuk wrote: 02 May 2019, 14:36 Anyone watch any of the Ralfy Reviews on YouTube - quite addicted to them!

Just noticed they have announced Hibiki 17 will be made no more pushing the price up to £500 - £600 a bottle and rising due to rarity. Have a bottle tucked away.

With both having sons at 5 years old we have 13 years until we have a trip to scotland to crack them open on what could be the most expensive session ever (on paper at least)!
I've got a bottle of Ardbeg Renaissance and an Araigh Nam Beist that I'm saving for a special occasion. Not quite sure what occasion yet though.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

unc.si. wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 16:25
Knulpuk wrote: 02 May 2019, 14:36 Anyone watch any of the Ralfy Reviews on YouTube - quite addicted to them!

I've got a bottle of Ardbeg Renaissance and an Araigh Nam Beist that I'm saving for a special occasion. Not quite sure what occasion yet though.
FISO 20th anniversary on course - what better excuse? :roll: - I will bring the diet coke to mix with.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

No decents malts on offer from my supermarket for my delivery so I have turned, at this time of national crisis, to a fine body of people who CAN help me.... the House Of Greyjoy!

A few months back a series of special editions malts linked to GoT houses were announced (and largely ignored because they were dear.... and tacky).

But now they are on offer pretty much anywhere. I got the Talisker (Greyjoy) one as it sounds good value. £33 from malts.com. Free delivery and 3 free minuatures (all orders) so would be rude to refuse. Found a few reviews, all 5 star except one who was contemplating tipping it down the loo. Presume that was Ramsay Bolton.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Currently drinking Crabbie's Yardhead Malt Whisky. Got this for just £16 on Amazon (tried to re-order but it's gone up) and didn't expect much but it really is rather pleasant. It's not Lagavulin or Talisker Gold but you really wouldn't expect that from Crabbie's. :)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Don't they make cider?

Talking of Crabbies ... sort of ..... I tried Crab flavoured Pringles earlier (yes, really). Interesting but not one of their best.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Re: The Water of Life, OR

Post by Spinynorman »

murf wrote: 31 May 2020, 00:14 Don't they make cider?

I always associated them with ginger wine.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

If you are an Amazon prime member they are selling Highland Park Viking Tribe for less than half price at £20.99 - absolute steal at this price. Yumsky

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Knulpuk wrote:If you are an Amazon prime member they are selling Highland Park Viking Tribe for less than half price at £20.99 - absolute steal at this price. Yumsky
Had it before (about £24?) and it was ok from memory. Not on my buy again price but maybe better value than.....

Just acquired a Lidl special (the shame but it was only 16.99!). Says it is an Islay single malt (no age). Can't be bad can it??

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

murf wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 10:01
Knulpuk wrote:If you are an Amazon prime member they are selling Highland Park Viking Tribe for less than half price at £20.99 - absolute steal at this price. Yumsky
Had it before (about £24?) and it was ok from memory. Not on my buy again price but maybe better value than.....

Just acquired a Lidl special (the shame but it was only 16.99!). Says it is an Islay single malt (no age). Can't be bad can it??
It will be excellent. :)

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

The Tesco single Islay Malts from a few years ago were from Caol Ila I think, and were very good. There are only 8 distilleries that the Lidl one could have come from and they're all excellent so might give it a go.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:The Tesco single Islay Malts from a few years ago were from Caol Ila I think, and were very good. There are only 8 distilleries that the Lidl one could have come from and they're all excellent so might give it a go.
Drinking it now. It's not bad. A little full on and unrefined so maybe youngish (NAS) but very drinkable.

My favourite at the moment is Smokehead, another anoymous, young(?) Islay single malt which is very flavoursome if you like that sort of thing.

Both are better than the branded young islay I tried - Ardbeg Wee Beastie.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

murf wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 23:04 Both are better than the branded young islay I tried - Ardbeg Wee Beastie.
But it would be a great name for a whisky. :)

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

I think the consensus is that Smokehead is a young Ardbeg. Lidl is probably Caol Ila, maybe Port Ellen? who knows but bound to be good value!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Knulpuk wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 15:45I think the consensus is that Smokehead is a young Ardbeg.
That surprises me as 'descriptively' it is much like their own 'Wee Beastie'... but is so much nicer!

Almost bought another Smokehead as saw it for £26 in supermarket this morning but only just finished one of them and now have 3 others on the go! Also resisted Caol Ila and Talisker Storm in Prime sale (mainly because I can't be bothered signing up for a Prime trial!)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Food & Drink”