To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

How Are We All Coping?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on Fantasy Football games run by the Daily Telegraph (TFF). Please post general messages about players etc that are non-specific to TFF on the 'Team News' Forum.
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: How Are We All Coping?

Post by murf »

Not seen our woodpecker in a while (we've had to take our bird feeders down) but he used to walk backwards down the tree to get to the food so they are quite dextrous and funny to watch.

(Yes, he was a he, you can 'sex' a Greater Spotted Woodpecker' fairly easily. They are quite similar but only the male has the red patch on the back of the neck)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

No tigers or llamas but I finally got a dunnock to take a couple of treats from my hand today.
Also saw plenty of swallows, grey wagtails and a dipper on my walk today.
Little things make you forget about big problems.

Stay alert? Nah, just stay chilled.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

We had 4 ducks on our roof yesterday. None landed on my hand though. Their quacks echoed thus disproving that old wives tale.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Which olde wives tale?

I should warn you all that the hospital told me to cut down (but not stop quickly in case it caused another episode) because of my Lockdown increase 😐

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

blahblah wrote: 17 May 2020, 21:17 Which olde wives tale?
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ducking-the-question/

Duck’s Quacks Don’t Echo?
Rumor holds that duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

There was a programme with Lee Mack years ago that used to (dis)prove things that was call something along the lines of this.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Sounds like a plane on a conveyor belt 😐

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Everything echoes. Whether it echoes enough to hear it.. ...

PS If a tree falls fown in a forest and there is nobody there to hear it then, no, it does not make a sound.

A sound being a human interpretation of a physical occurrence. No human = no sound.

PPS The above is all human based. Ducks etc could hear A sound but they are also ruled out by 'nobody'.

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

blahblah wrote: 17 May 2020, 22:34 Sounds like a plane on a conveyor belt 😐
Took me a second or two to twig what that referred to! That thread resurfaced again recently didn't it?

I only mentioned the echo as when the ducks on the roof quacked it sounded like they were in the garden behind our house, evidently caused by the fence-wall combo.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I think only murf is left from those that stuck with that thread (I wouldn't rule suicides out completely tbh).

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

Covid-19 chit chat Friday 22nd May

Another week has gone by. The weather has been really nice recently. Did a couple of walks at the start of the week - we discovered a recently revamped nature trail which backs onto a half-built petrol station complete with deserted Starbucks. There we a few individuals around but everyone politely kept their distance.

Had the day off yesterday, not that you'd notice, for a 10-year-old's birthday. Baked and decorated a birthday cake, opened cards and presents, a couple of his mates from school came around separately and stood in our front garden for 20 minutes while us parents had a chat about lack of food and haircuts! Played a new board game in the evening call Wembley (a card/dice/money game based around the FA Cup) - Dirty Leeds won the final against Manchester City, with Patrick Bamford as the star striker (don't forget it is all make believe!)

Plans for the long weekend - paint the birthday boy's bedroom. It is changing from green to blue - we are still waiting for the new bed to be delivered to go with the new Reading FC duvet cover.

Hope all is well with everyone else in FISO-land

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

morganb wrote: 22 May 2020, 10:01 Hope all is well with everyone else in FISO-land
No - been a bit crap recently, mainly because I didn't have Patrick Bamford in Fantasy Wembley :evil: :wink:

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

soldiering on deep into month 3 of isolation (vulnerable department). Have noticed FISO entries few and far between although morganb does his weekly bit. What's happened to the expectant father/ grandfather somewhere near Leyton Orient ? I have a grandson near there but he has evacuated to the Sir Tom country lately.Am thinking of sponsoring a little cash reward comp once we get the green light for both the Prem & Championship remnants of the season. Hope everyone at Tele Towers are thinking ahead. Perhaps we should give them a clap now and then.
The only Bamford I know is Joe, the founder of JCB

Eddie Elbows
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 400 finisher TFF 2007/8, 2010/11 and TFF World Cup 2010

Post by Eddie Elbows »

I shouldn't grumble I know, but it's all starting to get a little bit tedious now. The Zoom novelty has worn off and I've done all the nagging jobs I've been meaning to do for years. At least we've had some glorious weather and I don't have a young family to try and entertain. I've taken to going for an early evening drive some nights just to try and regain a sense of autonomy. Also the latest stat is that 2/3 of hospital deaths are diabetes type 2 sufferers like myself, so it looks like things for me aren't going to be changing any time soon. I have been kept afloat by the local brewery who deliver 9 and 22 pint pressurised kegs 3 times a week, and though it's not the real thing it's certainly better than bottled beer. The prospect of footy's return is at least something to look forward to.

My only news of any sort is that on Thursday morning I was woken at a rude hour by the noise of a duck on the roof a few feet above my head quacking and scrabbling about. We have a pond a few hundred yards away so ducks on roofs or chimneys is not that unusual round these parts, but its never happened to me before. The same thing happened today at 9 o'clock. Whether it was the same duck I cannot say.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

A duck quack on Thursday morning then one again on Saturday morning.

There is one heck of a delay on that echo.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

High: 0

Low: 0

Best team: 0

This has obviously been the case for a few weeks now but I had a sudden urge to update.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I lost MOTW on a tie-break last week

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Average to Middling

Post by Jamjack »

Hello all.

Another weeks passes. For me it was one that included birthdays for my wife and me. Despite the lock down she was quite touched by the effort her friends and family had made to get messages to her. She deserves that being the warm soul she is.

My birthday was..well..Wednesday. A couple of mates dropped me a text :lol: I need to make more of an effort keeping in touch with folks when this is all over. :lol: Still coping reasonably well but I am looking forward to things like a pub meal when we can do that again.

The tiger is still popping around to see me but I haven’t seen the lama for over a week. I fear the worst. The tiger doesn’t seem fussed with the scraps I leave out for him anymore but he has an incredible thirst these days. I’m still sharing a beer with him but he has never offered to reciprocate so I’m feeding him my out of date stuff now. He doesn’t seem to mind. Even if he did suspect something I don’t think he can read so I should be ok.

So far I’ve watched one game of Bundesliga. It’s better than nothing but footy without the atmosphere will take a bit of getting used to.

The bank holiday tomorrow is a day off for me which means I’m going to have to help out a bit more with the home schooling. Argh.

Stay safe all.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Half term this week Vic. Give yourself a well deserved day off 😎

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

Darbyand wrote: 25 May 2020, 08:14 Half term this week Vic. Give yourself a well deserved day off 😎
Not here! I’ve been “factorising” things today. Badly! I can’t remember doing half this stuff when I was at school.

Number 1 son is in his first year at “the big school” and that seems to be the point I’ve reached the limit of my knowledge. Scottish Gov are talking about a “blended” approach to education going forward which, by the sounds of things, means in school learning half the time and at home the other half. This isn’t going to end well for my lads if I’m expected to contribute knowledge... Terrifying!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

You should be ok with factorising and factorials?

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

blahblah wrote: 25 May 2020, 16:59 You should be ok with factorising and factorials?
It’s trying to explain how to do it that’s the challenge for me Blah. I know how I do it but the “rules” they are taught now are very different from my day. Add into the equation how pig headed my eldest is (I’ve no idea where he gets that..) and things tend to get a bit heated.

The day he needs to learn how to be a very mediocre fantasy football manager, I’ll be there for him.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Mediocre? You sure?

Just give him the line of more than 1 way to skin a cat and you were taught....

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

blahblah wrote: 25 May 2020, 18:23 Mediocre? You sure?

Just give him the line of more than 1 way to skin a cat and you were taught....
Every day I catch myself saying things that I used to hate my dad saying to me. The circle of life! :lol:

Johnners
Grumpy Old Spur
FS Record: Hit and miss

Post by Johnners »

Jamjack wrote: 25 May 2020, 16:23 I’ve been “factorising” things today. Badly! I can’t remember doing half this stuff when I was at school.

Number 1 son is in his first year at “the big school” and that seems to be the point I’ve reached the limit of my knowledge. Scottish Gov are talking about a “blended” approach to education going forward which, by the sounds of things, means in school learning half the time and at home the other half. This isn’t going to end well for my lads if I’m expected to contribute knowledge... Terrifying!
Remember trying to help my daughter with that last year, as she's of a similar age, but obviously without the added pressure of the school being closed. If the syllabus is anything like hers, when you reach the stuff that you can relate to fantasy football, like statistics or probability, I'm sure you'll have him grasping it in no time.

You know, like no matter how much a player is in form, he's statistically likely to get 2 points the minute we transfer him in, or the probability of Aguero scoring when we've just got shot of him is 100%.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

The only time the probability of Aguero scoring in a game tends to 100% is when you intend to buy him back but chicken out because he is only on the bench.

With TFF, never factor in common sense and logic.

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

:lol: I am still pretending to him that the stuff he is learning is going to be useful in the real world. That feels like the best way to motivate him to do the work despite the fact we all know that understanding Aguero’s stats and the timing of points returns is what he should really be focussed on if he wants to develop worthwhile life skills.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics.....

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

Covid-19 chit chat Thursday 28th May

Another week has gone by. Over the weekend we painted our youngest boy's bedroom. It is now blue, a very slightly different blue to the two other blue-painted bedrooms in the house. The new one is a blue-blue whereas the others are a greyish-blue and a greeny-blue. We had a clear out of toys and books which he'd outgrown so the shed is full of miscellaneous black bags awaiting the reopening of the charity shops in town. Just waiting for his new full-size bed to arrive on Sunday for the room to be complete.

Still embracing lockdown. Went shopping today, I think most things are available again now. People were not observing the 2 metre rule very well though. Hardly left the house otherwise this week. I have finished reading the Peter Crouch books, tried The Secret Footballer but gave up so am now reading 20 Years of TalkSport which is quite enjoyable.

So, the football might be back soon and so I'll start up the TFF chit chat threads again. I used to write them on the train to the office but now I'll have to find time during the day to squeeze them in - I have plenty of Teams calls on which I never pay attention until someone says my name so that sounds like the ideal opportunity! Not watched any of the German games but am aware that there is no longer the concept of home advantage plus some stadiums have added artificial crowds and/or crowd noises.

It is a scorcher here today, not a cloud in the sky and it has been like this for a fair few days. Garden is green, the birds are singing nicely today though there was a mob of unrulily magpies out there yesterday causing havoc.

Hope everyone else is well...

Johnners
Grumpy Old Spur
FS Record: Hit and miss

Post by Johnners »

morganb wrote: 28 May 2020, 14:19 We had a clear out of toys and books.....so the shed is full of miscellaneous black bags awaiting the reopening of the charity shops in town.
Seems like news of your mass clear-out has reached the BBC.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52822055

morganb wrote: 28 May 2020, 14:19 So, the football might be back soon and so I'll start up the TFF chit chat threads again.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52833725

TFF chit chat 17th, 19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd June? That's a thread title I'd very much look forward to seeing.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

the weather has gone downhill but I left the house for the first time since 18 th March on Tuesday with a visit to my son 25 miles away. Now the resumpsion of the season is getting close TFF is waking up. See my post today about TFF tactics !

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Telegraph Fantasy Football (TFF)”