To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

TFF tactics IF the restart comes to pass

A Fantasy Football forum for news on Fantasy Football games run by the Daily Telegraph (TFF). Please post general messages about players etc that are non-specific to TFF on the 'Team News' Forum.
Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

TFF tactics IF the restart comes to pass

Post by Darbyand »

I originally posted this in Eddie Elbow's thread but one or two people very reasonably felt it wasn't the right place, so here it is in its own thread. Many will question the sanity of bringing back football in the current situation but there's plenty of places to discuss that, this thread is purely to discuss TFF tactics if the game is played to a conclusion.
Darbyand wrote: 09 May 2020, 09:31
Some musings on TFF IF we ever get the 92 (+7) games played. A couple of back pages this week got me thinking - see below. Obviously given the sources and the fact nothing has been agreed yet, they're highly speculative to the point of just being space fillers but there's probably a kernel of truth in each.

So, with that in mind what will be the best way to play TFF if we get a restart? My thinking is that a lot of the old techniques about following fixture patterns and form will be largely redundant. 3 for 0s will not exist with staggered fixture lists. If your player gets a knock then he's probably got to go, as two weeks out means half the season. You could find out at very short notice a certain player won't be taking part at all.

If half fit players are plunged into 9 games in 30 days the best you can hope for would be to get 11 players likely to competitively play the majority of the games, say >700 minutes of the remaining 810 (4 clubs have 10 games). And more than ever, the concepts of some players being on the beach (in the garden?) will kick in. If your team's position is established with 5 or 6 left to play in 3 weeks then what's the point of picking consistent teams, and how much effort will those players be putting in in empty stadiums? May as well coast in and focus on whatever is emerging for 2020/21. EDIT - CUP will be interspersed with league games.

With all that in mind, who are the teams with most to play for? Teams in each category could be changing quickly.

All to play for - league position competitive and still in the cup:
Leicester (for now), Chelsea, Man Utd, Sheff Utd, Arsenal, Newcastle (for now), Norwich

League position to play for:
Wolves, Spurs, Soton, Brighton, West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth, Aston Villa

In the garden:
Liverpool (after two games), City (cup team only?) Burnley, Palace and Everton (the last three probably in mid table obscurity)

Might mean ripping up some LFC blocks after a couple of sighters of what's going on elsewhere. Tortoises could make some big gains on hare teams running on fumes who are unable to get more than 7 or 8 players consistently on the field.

Last edited by Darbyand on 01 Jun 2020, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: TFF tactics IF the restart comes to pass

Post by blahblah »

Didn't Jose delay the restart due to fitness issues?

I think he read my posts 😐

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

He says the media have misrepresented his comments, he just wants to ensure a decent conditioning period.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Same thing?

I was\am expecting some friendlies...

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

From this article, a pointer for 2020/21 if that happens (and TFF is still going)

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -september

"Obviously what we want to do is ensure the season is completed in a way which preserves other competitions, but also preserves our ability to start and deliver 38 match rounds next season in a proper calendar."

To do that, Masters admits there is a possibility of games being spread throughout the week.

"Given we are trying to get the season away in a slightly truncated situation, we may look at some interesting scheduling options," he said.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

...and from the linked story - don't buy Troy Deeney! (or Callum Hudson-Odoi)

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

(and if TFF is still going ! ) Darbyands words for the new season. Looks like we will get aPrem and Championship gold rush in July to pave the way for the new campaign !

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

And if we find out who flew to Paris for Le Rumpy Pumpy (anyone know?) Omit them too

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

City's 2 year European ban appeal will be held 8-10 June i.e. before the re-start which will be decisive on which placings will qualify for what. Wenger Trophy for the 5th place team maybe.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

6 positive tests out of 700+ from Premier league players/staff this week - the 6 were at 3 clubs from 19 tested so far.

No names or clubs released. Can't be relegation threatened clubs or they'd surely be using it to get the season cancelled

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 19 May 2020, 19:47 6 positive tests out of 700+ from Premier league players/staff this week - the 6 were at 3 clubs from 19 tested so far.

No names or clubs released. Can't be relegation threatened clubs or they'd surely be using it to get the season cancelled Image
Norwich had 0 tested players and are either starting tomorrow or earlier today. Could be worth a Sweep with 0 to 25(ish) positives available....

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I'll have 0.

Norfolk has been fairly low on Coronavirus cases as it is fairly socially isolated (as anyone who has ever travelled the A14, A140, A11, A47 or A17 can understand)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

No way. They don't want to finish the season, and have public said so more than once?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:No way. They don't want to finish the season, and have public said so more than once?
They'll shout if they've got it but I don't think even they are desperate enough to deliberately get Coronavirus in an attempt to derail the season. Bird flu maybe, coronavirus no.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 19 May 2020, 20:36
blahblah wrote:No way. They don't want to finish the season, and have public said so more than once?
They'll shout if they've got it but I don't think even they are desperate enough to deliberately get Coronavirus in an attempt to derail the season. Bird flu maybe, coronavirus no.
They don't have to get it, just say they have😂

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

First reveal of the 6 positive tests is Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan (asymptomatic).

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:
They don't have to get it, just say they haveImage
??

These are official Premier League tests...

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

murf wrote: 19 May 2020, 21:13
blahblah wrote:
They don't have to get it, just say they haveImage
??

These are official Premier League tests...
In the words of Delia -

Coronavirus. Let's be 'aving you!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

😂😂😂

Are these bods travelling the country? 😱

Or just local bods?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Just Kyle Walker going round on his mountain bike.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

Watford worst-hit club in 1st round of PL #COVID19 testing so far, with 3 positive results. 1 player, 2 staff. All ok but will self-isolate 7 days. Additionally a number of players have decided against training tomorrow https://t.co/E2sf1fov9p

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

So all in all-
3 members of staff - all OK
1 Watford player - OK
2 unknowns
742 negative
(Norwich TBA = LBAY!)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Strange that there’s more coaching staff than players testing positive so far... thought it would be the players having illicit parties with eff knows who invited, as per the occasional high profile case during lockdown. Maybe the coaches have been doing more face to face work?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Or having more illicit parties 😂

SamD
FISO Knight

Testing testing

Post by SamD »

742 negative
Norwich TBA
Norwich City's Covid-19 total from Tuesday's testing will not be announced separately this week.
Instead, it'll be added to figures for next round of PL tests at the weekend.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:Strange that there’s more coaching staff than players testing positive so far... thought it would be the players having illicit parties with eff knows who invited, as per the occasional high profile case during lockdown. Maybe the coaches have been doing more face to face work?
Nah, the players with their illicit parties caught it weeks ago so are now showing negative.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

Has anyone got any feedback on the first post? I use Fiso to challenge the stuff that sounds right in my head then come on here to realise I'm talking bollocks* (to myself).

*about TFF. I'm 100% accurate on anything else 8-) :mrgreen:

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

According to tonight's back pages (i.e. https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/12 ... 00385?s=09 ) the return will feature 5 consecutive games each Saturday and Sunday. My first thoughts are a) that's a lot of weekend flange action b) the 2 for 0 etc isn't dead after all and c) madness not to have more night games spread across the week when the temperatures are high in July and August.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Darbyand wrote:According to tonight's back pages (i.e. https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/12 ... 00385?s=09 ) the return will feature 5 consecutive games each Saturday and Sunday. My first thoughts are a) that's a lot of weekend flange action b) the 2 for 0 etc isn't dead after all and c) madness not to have more night games spread across the week when the temperatures are high in July and August.
Think they are playing midweek too.

How consecutive is consecutive? If they go under 2 hours we have ugly, overlapping flanges that take hours til they are over.

Tom_Nook
Treebeard

Post by Tom_Nook »

I'm actually glad our league was cancelled at the beginning of May. I really couldn't do with the faff of all those flanges.

It's been quite cathartic not having any football/fantasy football for the last three months. That said, I'll really miss the Euros.

We'd booked to go to the South of France for the first fortnight of it as well.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Telegraph Fantasy Football (TFF)”