To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Brexit

Discussions about the coronavirus - COVID19
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Brexit

Post by blahblah »

Do people thing we will have anything agreed re Trade Deals by whenever in Jan; or will we stay for a while longer?

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: Brexit

Post by unc.si. »

just remind me, what was Brexit again?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Pinocchio (fook nose) but the Economy is going to be shafted if Lockdown etc is still in existence and BJ has been paying\printing 80% of salaries... as is the rest of the World.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

BJ had no intention of negotiating a trade deal so it's no deal.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Surprised wrote: ↑24 Mar 2020, 21:48 BJ had no intention of negotiating a trade deal so it's no deal.
With anyone? 😱

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

blahblah wrote: ↑24 Mar 2020, 21:49
Surprised wrote: ↑24 Mar 2020, 21:48 BJ had no intention of negotiating a trade deal so it's no deal.
With anyone? 😱
With the EU.
He'll give the US everything they want.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Surprised wrote: ↑24 Mar 2020, 21:57
blahblah wrote: ↑24 Mar 2020, 21:49
With anyone? 😱
With the EU.
He'll give the US everything they want.
Ah, his Homeland......

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

What's all this, Blah, European countries closing their own borders. I mean, they don't have the right to close their own borders, do they ? Outrage :wink:

You really are a shsyter, Blah, bringing this up again :lol:

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed Β£150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

I am reading a few things suggesting the EU are not doing a great job re the virus.

Wonder if this could damage EU further.

Shouldn't Spain and Italy be getting a lot more help?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

raoul wrote:I am reading a few things suggesting the EU are not doing a great job re the virus.

Wonder if this could damage EU further.

Shouldn't Spain and Italy be getting a lot more help?
I haven't read a single thing, that I can recall, where they have even been mentioned in terms of helping.

In fact they were moaning early doors about closing borders.....

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

It's everyone for herself.

Although I think outside aid sent to the EU (from China) was allocated to Italy.

I assume the UK will be having another Brexit vote at the end of this year??

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Such harmony over here. Well that's what they were promising. As much worth as a promissory note from Brussels. We're on our own. A local familiar face is much more valuable than any aid they can offer. Times they are a changing.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

admin wrote: ↑25 Mar 2020, 12:20 It's everyone for herself.

Although I think outside aid sent to the EU (from China) was allocated to Italy.

I assume the UK will be having another Brexit vote at the end of this year??
No vote. It will be no deal.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

:idea: Maybe all those countries in the EU were sovereign nations all along :idea:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.

Teach a man to fish and he can annoy the French for a lifetime.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Is that part of the Fisherbods not being able to access the EU market?

I actually watched some News today 😱😱😱😱😱 but they didn't report the Bus burning in NI by the Unionists....

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Damn that evil Brexit.....

BBC News - Shell plans to move headquarters to the UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59288593

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

Brexit

Post by Moon Knight »

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

murf wrote: ↑15 Nov 2021, 17:09 Damn that evil Brexit.....

BBC News - Shell plans to move headquarters to the UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59288593
They're not really moving anything in reality - its just about restructuring their share structure to avoid Dutch Witholding tax on dividends and probably more about putting pressure on the Dutch Government to get it scrapped than anything else.

Nothing about the UK leaving the EU has changed the tax rules that are causing the issue, and it won't cause any more tax or jobs to come into the UK apart from a handful of execs being taxed through the UK rather than NL. I mean its good that they've decided that the UK being outside the EU doesn't stop them from keeping their London listing and base, but in reality Brexit won't have figured in this decision

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Surely the horsemen told us all big companies would leave the UK for the EU following Brexit?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

But we haven't implemented any differences to the EU rules/Laws, apart from not letting Articulated Lorry Drivers etc work here.

When there is a border between here and Dublin, then we will be able to diverge from the EU and negotiate our own Trade Deals.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

murf wrote: ↑16 Nov 2021, 17:07 Surely the horsemen told us all big companies would leave the UK for the EU following Brexit?
Credible studies estimated that Brexit would reduce GDP by 2 to 3 pc and reduction investment in uk by around 5pc I think.

That’s pretty much in line with what the current view is I think
No one said every big company will leave the uk. It’s a big market and businesses want to sell to big markets. They’ll just adjust the size of operations to suit the markets over time. Ie global co’s that use the uk to export into the eu will downsize but we may gain some production from companies that import into the uk from Europe.
We might also attract business with low tax regimes like Ireland did 20 years ago, but then the UK have been world leaders in corporate tax avoidance for ever, so that’s nothing new really.

For companies like Shell, Brexit probably isn’t much of a factor. Extraction will be where the resources are and supply will be where the markets are. Refinery operations could be moved but at massive cost and there is a limit to how much they can be shifted anyway.

Not everything is about Brexit πŸ˜€

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Project Fear told us otherwise.

As much lying barstewards as those who posted on buses.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: ↑16 Nov 2021, 23:08 Project Fear told us otherwise.

The majority of β€œProject Fear” was correct. The Government has been forced into a number of desperation moves just to keep the country running.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:

The majority of β€œProject Fear” was correct. The Government has been forced into a number of desperation moves just to keep the country running.
The majority of that number on the bus was right too.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: ↑17 Nov 2021, 09:53
forestfan wrote:

The majority of that number on the bus was right too.
The zeros you mean? :wink: There was perhaps a negative sign missing as well…

Not all the worst effects have happened but a lot of that’s down to firefighting and delays in implementation. They know that implementing inward customs checks would cause chaos and mass shortages, it was obvious that the infrastructure for it wasn’t going to be there in a hurry and might never be. I can understand why people might be in favour of some of the aims of Brexit (immigration control, being out of EU politics etc.) but I can’t see a single benefit of having customs checks between the UK and EU, even before we consider its potential to undo decades of work in terms of peace in Northern Ireland. All it achieves is symbolic sovereignty unless we actually pursue the race to the bottom on standards, which the public would never stand for.

In terms of benefits, some people might earn more, e.g. lorry drivers and fruit pickers, due to labour shortages from overseas… but what’s the point if everything just costs more? And well-paid jobs such as in finance are drifting abroad. Even figures commissioned by the Government show the country will be worse off in real terms, nobody’s really making an economic argument for it any more.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to β€œCOVID-19”