To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Raoul's RMV (Rate My Virus)

Discussions about the coronavirus - COVID19
raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Raoul's RMV (Rate My Virus)

Post by raoul »

I have no intention to belittle the very serious situation we are in, but equally am going to go a touch insane if I am stuck indoors and cannot let it all out a bit, so diarising this interesting period seems one way to deal with it. Feel free to comment, totally ignore, chastise or whatever.

I am working from home as of Tuesday last week. Our college campuses are now closed and my classes are running online. Spent ages over the past week and a half rescheduling everything, contacting students worldwide to help them understand what is happening with their courses etc. Hopefully we are now sort of set and can continue as best we can.

GRIPES

Had a delivery yesterday. Delivery company left it downstairs in our apartment block, where there is no reception or security or cctv or anything, and by the time they told us this some kind person had stolen it. Perhaps the same people who vandalised ambulances over the weekend. Or the ones who continue to gob in our building's lifts.

There really are some total scumbags in our society, and this situation is going to flush those people out.

A large proportion of the population seem to be doing whatever they want. Is it a sizeable minority? Or might it even be the majority? The sooner the government just locks us down and arrests anyone found outside the better. Anyone entering a supermarket should provide id and not be able to enter it again for 1 week. Set a maximum amount people can spend per visit, or put together standard packages of goods that cover vegans, gluten free etc and let people choose one package each and have the army deliver it.

The social distancing thing is fine, but anyone who has gone to a supermarket recently knows it is impossible. It is like those chevrons on the road - try to keep 2 of those apart and some moron barges into the gap.

Lockdown is the only way. Show some balls Boris and just do it.

POSITIVES

Someone in our building has put up a poster saying they will go and buy things for anyone who cannot go out.

I can see some signs that some people have some community spirit. A tiny minority unfortunately.

STUCK INSIDE

I suffer from claustrophobia. However, we have a balcony. And while it is cold, Mrs R won't be going out there at all, so I have some personal space. I can see for about 10 miles so I am feeling privileged given what is inevitably coming.

Lots of work to catch up on so hopefully I can use this time to my benefit.

And I have a running machine, so no excuses!

CHALLENGES

My daughter is due to give birth in 2 weeks. My first grandchild. Clearly I will not be able to be there and might not be meeting him until he is at least 2-3 months old, possibly later. Gutted.

My wife is due to give birth in 14 weeks. Oh yes, the timing of this virus could not have been more entertaining. Our appointment tomorrow has been postponed, antenatal classes cancelled, and I am wondering how the next few weeks will progress. Getting to the hospital itself could be a challenge given the situation we are likely to have by then.

Maybe we should name her Corona...

My eldest son is meant to be doing GCSEs this summer so it will be interesting to see how reasonable his grades will be, given the manner they are going to be dealt with.

CAR

It needs its annual service, an MOT, and the tax is now expired.

Be interesting to see if I am allowed to drive it, especially with a pregnant wife...

SO...

At present my relatives all seem to be ok, my wife and I are ok, getting some food items is proving harder (local shop had toilet rolls yesterday - we have some so we left them alone for the more desperate) but in general we are surviving.

Wonder what these posts will look like in a couple of weeks...

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Raoul's RMV (Rate My Virus)

Post by murf »

Good post. I won't block it with my diary but I am wondering how people will eat. Did what I was hoping was my last supermarket shop just over a week ago only to find more empty shelves than expected (toilet rolls expected but no fresh veg - how can you hoard fresh food??). I immediately got on online and booked a delivery. Due tomorrow- how much will they actually bring me? I saw the limit on 3 of any item - I could only ask for 3 bananas- but how much will be in stock. I won't over-order anything but will order plenty in expectation of not getting much.

Then booked another for about 10 days time but there are now no slots to book. 3 weeks of 'sold out' on the website. Currently trying to work out when they release the next day so I can get in quick.

I realise now more than ever how lucky I am to have a good sized garden (and a love of gardening) and to live surrounded by open space. Did an 8 mile run this morning and maybe passed 12-15 people all just out walking, running or cycling (plus a few cars and tractors on the road bits but less than I would expect on a nice sunny day).

Stay healthy and good luck. See you on the other side.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

murf wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 11:47 Good post. I won't block it with my diary but I am wondering how people will eat. Did what I was hoping was my last supermarket shop just over a week ago only to find more empty shelves than expected (toilet rolls expected but no fresh veg - how can you hoard fresh food??). I immediately got on online and booked a delivery. Due tomorrow- how much will they actually bring me? I saw the limit on 3 of any item - I could only ask for 3 bananas- but how much will be in stock. I won't over-order anything but will order plenty in expectation of not getting much.

Then booked another for about 10 days time but there are now no slots to book. 3 weeks of 'sold out' on the website. Currently trying to work out when they release the next day so I can get in quick.

I realise now more than ever how lucky I am to have a good sized garden (and a love of gardening) and to live surrounded by open space. Did an 8 mile run this morning and maybe passed 12-15 people all just out walking, running or cycling (plus a few cars and tractors on the road bits but less than I would expect on a nice sunny day).

Stay healthy and good luck. See you on the other side.
Yes, supermarkets.

We got our last delivery about a week ago. We had to wait 5 days, rather than the usual next day, which was fine.

I have tried every day since and there have been no slots at all for 3 weeks, so well done getting a delivery at all. The supermarket (Sainsbury, although I am now trying others of course) are now saying they are prioritising those most at risk, which makes a lot of sense, and there is a phone number to call if you think you might be that person. I certainly am not, but with a pregnant wife with asthma, I suppose she might perhaps be - especially as I have a car I cannot legally use at present and therefore am a bit limited myself.

Strangely enough, it is impossible to get through on that number.

However the good news for us all is that the nail bar next door to our building remains open, and there are people inside getting that really essential nail job sorted.

How effin stupid are these people?

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

and I have now discovered that if you type in f00king the system auto changes it to effin.

Good to use this time to become more educated.

Good luck to you and yours too murf, and let's hope there is a nice sunny "other side" to this with a lot of football to catch up on.

And people still alive to watch it.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

GRIPES

Just seen 3 cabinet ministers walking to No 10 for a meeting. All next to each other, chatting away.

So much for social distancing, and so much for our esteemed leaders setting an example that makes it clear to the population.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

raoul wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 13:01 and I have now discovered that if you type in f00king the system auto changes it to effin.
Wait until to feel the need to call someone a chap.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

RomynPG wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 13:51
raoul wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 13:01 and I have now discovered that if you type in f00king the system auto changes it to effin.
Wait until to feel the need to call someone a chap.
And I had been assuming we were all just very well-mannered on here.

My faith in humanity is destroyed.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

For light-hearted relief I have started a sweepstake based on my supermarket delivery. How much of it will I actually get?

viewtopic.php?f=399&t=132008

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

I wonder if I might start my own sweep on when I might find a delivery at all.

Interesting evening. To be honest, my first impression of Boris was that he was still not being firm enough. I wonder if he is testing the reaction to see if politically he can push further.

So, with no deliveries viable (unless anyone knows a place...) I am off to the local Nisa and Tesco Express as close to 6am as I can manage. We are very short of food now, and with Mrs R eating for two and needing her protein we need meat as a matter of some urgency (she is allergic to pretty much any other form of protein, before you ask).

I suspect a bit of a queue before opening and then a mad scramble to the fresh meat. Not exactly looking forward to this, but it has to be done.

I am now resigned to not seeing my other kids for a while (living with my ex), including the birth of my first grandchild in about 2 weeks. Let's just hope the NHS is able to cope with that event at the time.

POST SCRIPT

If you have read this diary in full, you may recall a delivery (baby clothes) was stolen a couple of days ago. The shop delivered again, and it arrived this morning to the door.

And then this evening, someone buzzed us from the ground floor to say there was a package on top of the mailboxes. I went down, and found the original package there, taped up (as it had been opened already). Presumably the thief did not need baby clothes, could not be arsed to sell it on ebay, or had a guilt complex?

Now I have to phone the store and tell them.

Wonder if they will tell me to just keep it (it is £60 worth so certainly a nice bonus), or request it is sent back. Interesting...

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

The virus from my perspective...

I work in IT for a small, flexible organisation, so working from home was never going to be an issue. We had a manic week getting everything sorted so that the other 200+ employees could also work from home (and making sure me and the rest of my team could support them). Day one (yesterday) was a complete success.

My wife doesn’t go out to work, but is the educator for our home schooled daughter (one of whose autistic traits is that she hates leaving the house). So apart from the food shopping, we’re sorted. We have a small co-op nearby and two greengrocers, both of which are receiving daily deliveries.

I visited my Mum on Sunday, speaking to her from outside the house. I was due to visit my Dad 3 hours away this weekend, but we decided that wasn’t such a good idea about an hour before Boris told us we couldn’t! Both parents are in their 80s and while my Mum is quite fit and healthy, my Dad is definitely in the high risk group. I may never see them again, which is the only downside for me personally.

My wife spent quite a lot of Sunday with her two grown-up children and is pretty upset that she won’t be able to see them again for three weeks, especially her daughter who lives alone.

My heart goes out to those who won’t be seeing family they feel they need to.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

bspittles wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 07:07 The virus from my perspective...

I work in IT for a small, flexible organisation, so working from home was never going to be an issue. We had a manic week getting everything sorted so that the other 200+ employees could also work from home (and making sure me and the rest of my team could support them). Day one (yesterday) was a complete success.

My wife doesn’t go out to work, but is the educator for our home schooled daughter (one of whose autistic traits is that she hates leaving the house). So apart from the food shopping, we’re sorted. We have a small co-op nearby and two greengrocers, both of which are receiving daily deliveries.

I visited my Mum on Sunday, speaking to her from outside the house. I was due to visit my Dad 3 hours away this weekend, but we decided that wasn’t such a good idea about an hour before Boris told us we couldn’t! Both parents are in their 80s and while my Mum is quite fit and healthy, my Dad is definitely in the high risk group. I may never see them again, which is the only downside for me personally.

My wife spent quite a lot of Sunday with her two grown-up children and is pretty upset that she won’t be able to see them again for three weeks, especially her daughter who lives alone.

My heart goes out to those who won’t be seeing family they feel they need to.
Great post. If only everyone shared that attitude.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

@raoul,

As I was up til nearly midnight last night I decided to see if supermarket sites added extra delivery slots at midnight. The good news is that they do (the 2 I can use anyway). The bad news is the websites can't cope. By about 12:15 I got in to see one had no slots available on the new day (were there ever any?). 12:30 finally got into the second site and saw slots available. 12:35 reserved a slot! I had 3 hours to checkout and confirm to keep my slot. Failed miserably dozens of times with it crashing in every way possible (usually during the process of verifying my card - which I have used before). 1:30 gave up but saw all the slots were still available.
7:30 got up, logged in, checked and all slots sold out....

It will be less frustrating and better for my health to go to a shop and try and stay away from other shoppers...

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

I've given up trying to get online deliveries but to be honest we're OK for food for now so I'll try again in a week or so when they might have more capacity.

I've been banging on to my wife about clearing the freezers out for ages. she tends to buy 2 or 3 of everything, eat one and then stick the others in the freezer (we've got 3). I swear we could probably survive for a month on what we've got in there if we had to :-) she's obviously feeling suitably smug right now.

I'm pretty lucky really. Can work from home and I've got all my family back with me. Older daughter is back home from Uni, younger daughter just had A levels cancelled so she's back home as well. I'm sure it won't be easy all the time, but I'd rather have them here with me than away and not being able to see them.

we're doing a 'coffee shop' each evening at 6ish to help me stop work at a sensible time and spend time together. All the games have come down from the attic. I've stocked up on paint so we can decorate the girls rooms. We've downloaded some languages audiobooks and looking at online courses so we can do something productive with the time we've been given away from the usual distractions of the world.

we've got our own rooms with our own space. Trying to make it more like 4 mates living in the same house rather than a family, with the usual parent / child power struggles, if that makes any sense :D

I'm generally very sociable with lots of different groups of friends that I see pretty regularly, but I've just reset myself. Video calls will have to do for a while. I'm feeling like I've been given the gift of some time to sort out all those jobs round the house that I never get round to and to try to achieve something constructive that I've never had the time to do.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

@murf ... I've been playing the midnight tactic on several supermarket sites. But the new day appears with all slots unavailable. Maybe it's a location thing (I'm in east end of London).

So I just got back from a brisk walk to 2 local supermarkets. Tesco Express has empty shelves for almost everything. No meat, fruit or vegetables at all and next delivery due in 6hrs. Nisa was pretty good. Fresh meat being restocked as I was there. Not much quantity or variety but have food for next 5 days so certainly not complaining.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

@unc.si.

I do online accountancy exam training so if any of your household are interested... :D

Seriously though I think you guys will have some fun together. Wife and I have so much to organize and catch up on. The wedding photos for one!

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

raoul wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 09:50 @unc.si.

I do online accountancy exam training so if any of your household are interested... :D

Seriously though I think you guys will have some fun together. Wife and I have so much to organize and catch up on. The wedding photos for one!
thanks for the offer but me and the wife are both ACA and neither of the girls are particularly interested.

I do cross border M&A, which is a bit of a challenge at the moment to be honest :D

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

raoul wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 09:47 @murf ... I've been playing the midnight tactic on several supermarket sites. But the new day appears with all slots unavailable. Maybe it's a location thing (I'm in east end of London).

So I just got back from a brisk walk to 2 local supermarkets. Tesco Express has empty shelves for almost everything. No meat, fruit or vegetables at all and next delivery due in 6hrs. Nisa was pretty good. Fresh meat being restocked as I was there. Not much quantity or variety but have food for next 5 days so certainly not complaining.
My online supermarket used to reset at midnight but changed it to 9am yesterday. I haven't tried to book a slot yet as I have enough food but I will try for a delivery next Wednesday when new slots open. They have no shops so don't need to rely on stores having stuff.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Next wednesday? Lucky you. The unobtainable slots being 'released' here are all 3 weeks away. Go on any site and you just see 21 days showing 'no slots available '.

My aim is to avoid shops for as long as possible. Not sure how realistic that will be.

When out on my daily ration of exercise this morning I think, with hindsight, I broke a new rule. I was talking to someone across her gate when somebody else stopped with their dog. The 3 of us were all comfortably 2+ metres apart (can't say that for the 3 dogs!) having a triangular conversation but was it a congregation of more than 2 people????

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

They only release slots a maximum of 7 days ahead.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Miracle.

Sainsbury's decided we are priority customers so we got an online slot and within 48 hrs. Suspect they worked out Mrs R is preggers from our shopping in the recent past. It just arrived and 95% complete.

We have more slots Available from Tuesday. Not that we will need one for now. Maybe I should auction a slot for charity...

Otherwise only update is that working from home is not great if like me you are claustrophobic. Thank heavens for a balcony. Bit blustery and cold but needs must.

Wonder when first military planes will fly in to City Airport to go to Excel. On the landing path so those depressing flights will come right over us 1 minute before touching down.

Johnners
Grumpy Old Spur
FS Record: Hit and miss

Post by Johnners »

raoul wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 18:37 Sainsbury's decided we are priority customers so we got an online slot and within 48 hrs. Suspect they worked out Mrs R is preggers from our shopping in the recent past. It just arrived and 95% complete.
Thanks for the tip. I'll remember to pop a few newborn nappies and a couple of maternity bras on the bottom of my next order.

Wish Tesco had been as generous with murf's delivery, as I'd have won his sweepstake with that score.

Regarding your initial post, hopefully your MOT issue has been temporarily alleviated by the government's extension, especially given your situation. Assume your tongue was firmly in your cheek about the baby's name, but think I read that someone in India has beaten you to it and actually named theirs Corona, so you might need an alternative up your sleeve.

Look forward to further updates & good luck to you and the mothers-to-be.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

How’s it going Raoul?
Sunbathing on the balcony at the weekend?

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Hey all, it has been a while so here goes an update. Hard to get on fiso for long posts given I am locked down with Mrs R in a small space and her working from home workload appears to be around 5% of mine.

BABIES

I became a grandad on April 4 at 4pm. Wonder what his lucky number will be :lol: . All are healthy, and at some point when he is about 6m old I might actually meet him.

His initials are OMG. Which I like. A lot.

Mrs R is getting bigger and due to drop in 11 weeks. Our health services are a bit chaotic and lots of appointments mess, so I fear a little chaos. Thankfully I am very laid back about it all - number 5 for me - but Mrs R is on her maiden voyage so is rather more stressed.

Grandad in April, Dad in June. I am so Mick Jagger.

SHOPPING

Sainsburys continue to treat us as vulnerable so shopping is almost all online and works fine now. We are buying for my MIL who is a care worker and over 60, so I think this means we should get an MBE or something.

CAR

Err, must sort out that MOT etc pronto.

WORK

I am working from home and pretty busy. Lots of classes and Zoom tutorials to run. Am seeing how some of my team are stepping up and being flexible and others are using the situation to do as little as they can get away with, while doing their best to appear busy.

OUTSIDE WORLD

Roads look very quiet. Trains go past but look almost totally empty. Loads of buses running, not sure why as they are also 99% empty.

I will be interested to see what happens in the next week or two, because I think some smell some lockdown relaxation coming and will preempt it by moving about more. Especially on sunny days. Over Easter there were plenty of people out, many clearly not exercising or going to the shops for essentials (or to the shops at all).

A couple of local building sites are operating (one did every day through Easter), and I reckon a few others will restart soon.

FOOTBALL

I am gutted that lower leagues have seen seasons voided. I grew up with Wealdstone as my local team so if they do indeed end up losing this glorious season and promotion to the National League, it will be a real kick in their teeth. If seasons cannot be finished, surely the Scottish approach is a better one.

EPL restart behind closed doors in mid to late May I reckon. If Germany restarts, we will (a little later).

FANTASY FOOTBALL

I am trying to keep teams going with transfer used where possible. Would be very annoying if FPL is cancelled, given my decent position. Hopefully not.

OVERALL

Have a 5 mile walk every other day. Plenty of work to do. Trying to get a few to-do things to-done. Generally in good spirits.

But have run out of Chardonnay, so need a shopping trip. As it is essential. Very.

Hope all are well, and TTFN

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

unc.si. wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 07:10 How’s it going Raoul?
Sunbathing on the balcony at the weekend?
sorry I did not answer this sooner - and yes, balcony sunshine has been fab. Will get some more this afternoon I think - we have a nice rocking chair thing out there which is cool but hardly ever used, so I am keen to plonk myself in it and get reading done (work, not pleasure unfortunately)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Have the UK supermarkets settled down now and have more items in stock?

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Surprised wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 19:37 Have the UK supermarkets settled down now and have more items in stock?
Yes. Deliveries typically bring 90% of what we ordered, sometimes more. Can't tell you about the actual big stores as I don't go, but smaller local ones are not too bad.

Other than the queue outside.

It's certainly no problem for us, but I know not all can get priority deliveries.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Surprised wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 19:37 Have the UK supermarkets settled down now and have more items in stock?
There are plenty of empty shelves in my local Sainsburys, ALDI & LIDL are way ahead near me.

I haven't had my exercise walking to the ALDI in the Arndale as there seemed to be more homeless people than people with homes which is so very wrong on so many levels. Well done Andy Burnham 😐

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Just been to Nisa. Partly exercise. Partly having run out of a couple of things. They had everything as far as I could see. Even better no queue for fist time in a fortnight.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Similar here now. No queue and 95% of what i wanted they had (no broccoli). Didn't see if they had pasta or toilet paper as got some a few weeks ago.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

The main shortage now seems to be tinned tomatoes (not chopped) and bread mix.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “COVID-19”