To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Safety Net - Weekly Monster

FanTeam - Fantasy Premier League
ronny10
FISO Knight
FS Record: Not to shabby

Re: Safety Net - Weekly Monster

Post by ronny10 »

Bar fanteam I've never played any other daily games. Is fanteam the only provider to use a 'safety net'

I would love to know the exact reasoning behind it, i.e. who or how many people asked for such a thing to be implemented!!!

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

as far as i know yes ron.

you need to look at things from the providers point of view, the last thing they want is users to get peed off with bad beats involving late injuries leaving them short of players and chances. given providers take a large chunk more than bookies of wagers they need to offer something back to the majority who lose besides a chance of a win. here they have better entertainment going for them than a bet with the bookies but if poor players are gubbed too often by 'no shows' then they might clear off.

to me the 'safety net' is a bit alien as you end up with players in your side you didn't pick and maybe never would pick!

draft kings is the major provider worldwide and their solution (which i don't like as it is high maintenance) is to allow subs as the game develops, e.g. 1245 start, you have two players out in the 3pm you can change them for anyone still to play on the slate.

another common solution is my preferred option as done by fantasybet. you pick 15 players leaving you a choice as to whether to have a strong sub just in case or go bargain basement there.

personally the latter would be my choice and i prefer no safety net but can understand why they have gone down this route and happy to play their rules as designed, what i won't accept is changes without letting us know about them. basically as long as i know the rules and how they are interpreting them i am happy. e.g. if a subbed player comes out i want to know he never comes back if a sub over any starter that has replaced them.

so yep more than one method, i prefer a 15 man fixed squad but have no issues playing the rules as set by the provider as long as they are clear.

Fanteam Reps
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: Official representative(s) of Fanteam.com.

Post by Fanteam Reps »

ronny10 wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 13:21 Bar fanteam I've never played any other daily games. Is fanteam the only provider to use a 'safety net'

I would love to know the exact reasoning behind it, i.e. who or how many people asked for such a thing to be implemented!!!
Hello, Ronny10! Fanteam is for sure the only fantasy provider that has this feature. This is something we invented from scratch. The arguments for it:
- We wanted to simplify the process of creating a team for our customers. Saving time is good for all, and could even lead to more entries being created, and bigger prize pools.
- Cutting out subs simplified it, but it puts a higher demand on customers to be able to predict which players will start the match.
- We decided to make it easier for everyone, to implement the safety net. Some people have argued that we did this to please the highrollers - this is far from the truth. We believe that the highrollers actually are very good at predicting the line-ups, so even if they have many entries, they don't profit on the safety net. Recreational players, however, often will make mistakes with predicted line-ups, and we believe this feature is advantageous to them.
- We do not believe that predicting line-ups should be the most important skill in daily fantasy. The focus should be on which players that will perform the best. Even with safety net enabled, you will have an advantage if you can predict the line-ups well, but it will be smaller than before. While some experts understandably want to return to the old days where line-up predictions played a key role, we do believe that the safety net is the right way forward for daily fantasy. We need to make the game easier to play to make it more accessible for the masses.

Imagine when you discover that one of your players is not in the line up. And then you realize that 'Great! There is a safety net! I get a replacement player!" It is a really good feeling!

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

I get your reasoning behind it to a certain extent but it takes away, for me, a part of what fantasy football is about. It's about picking the best 11 not picking the best 8, 9 or 10 then getting lucky with the rest of your team because 1, 2 or 3 of your players didnt start.

Now, I for one ensure I will be available for the lineups on the start of each competition, it's not hard these days even if u are out and about!! If a player isnt starting I will swap him and adjust my team as I see fit.

The one that frustrates me most is aguero and jesus, 2 players who if starting are going to be very popular, especially against a lower league team. So it's obvious that everyone picks the most expensive, usually aguero knowing full well it wont matter as they get rewarded with whoever starts.

This is a game changer in my opinion and seriously sways team choices and results....

Firstly without the safety net those wanting to pick a city striker has some serious thought to give as it's a large amount of the budget but it's often rewarded with good points so worth the chance in picking who you think will start.

Secondly, for those not wanting to pick a city striker then it's a serious risk with the safety net as without picking one you could miss out on big points and the safety net ensures those picking a city striker will have a city striker!
Take the safety net away and not picking the city striker then becomes a bit more appealing and more chance of it working in your favour.

Obviously this applies to other players from other teams.

Mane and Salah are another obvious one, mane has generally been higher in value than Salah, the safety net effectively makes mane a better pick and sometimes forces your hand just because you know if he doesn't start you will get Salah. If you pick salah and he doesn't start you will get a lesser reward!

So the safety net changes the whole way people think and structure teams, it's not about just picking the best 11, it's about being aware of what you get if someone doesnt start!!

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

whilst i still prefer the squad idea and find random players in via safety net a bit alien i would agree with most of what fanteam reps says and personally don't have any great issue with this any longer.

this 'We do not believe that predicting line-ups should be the most important skill in daily fantasy. The focus should be on which players that will perform the best.' is a nonsense though, if you are getting random safety net players in the game is hardly all about picking 'which players will perform best' lol

re aggro n the one we pray to ronny you are not correct, i went for the latter as i expected him to start and wanted the extra budget and was prepared to take my '0' if i was wrong!

if like salah n mane the prices are close it is an issue as everyone loads the more expensive (make them the same price!).

the frustration for me is that good picks like rodrygo in la liga game are downgraded if he 'no shows' as was the case for me in serie A where sir alf no showed for juve!

you can still pick bargains as i did there but you risk the '0' result. similarly ibai is so cheap he would be a bargain if he turned up, which he never does lol, but he is fine as a pick because d.garcia is a fairly solid safety net.

you just have to play the rules as they are, even though i miss not selecting as many bargain basement picks as normal ;)

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

regards aguero/jesus Andy, it may have come out slightly wrong. I'm not saying everyone would pick aguero knowing they would get jesus if he didn't start, more the case of, there is no risk involved if they do so.

So last weekend was a good example being a good chance jesus would start based on the game before when aguero started, you took the jesus route as you thought he would start after doing your homework and was right but you get no reward for being right as those that picked aguero got jesus anyway!

Agent Overson
Treebeard

Post by Agent Overson »

Fanteam Reps wrote: it puts a higher demand on customers to be able to predict which players will start the match.
This was my favourite part Image

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

ronny10 wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 08:22 regards aguero/jesus Andy, it may have come out slightly wrong. I'm not saying everyone would pick aguero knowing they would get jesus if he didn't start, more the case of, there is no risk involved if they do so.

So last weekend was a good example being a good chance jesus would start based on the game before when aguero started, you took the jesus route as you thought he would start after doing your homework and was right but you get no reward for being right as those that picked aguero got jesus anyway!
you get the extra budget to use elsewhere,

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

Lol, true but but ............

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

All of the casual players would have gone for Mane in the Big Five weekend game and lost out on their points because of the terrible Safety Net idea. :roll:

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

The pathetic safety net cost me a decent finish this week by removing captain Vardy out of my team and replacing him with Iheanacho.

I'm sure a lot of casual players would have gone for Vardy too - you're really sucking the enjoyment out of it for them.

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

BLOCKHEAD wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 21:46 The pathetic safety net cost me a decent finish this week by removing captain Vardy out of my team and replacing him with Iheanacho.

I'm sure a lot of casual players would have gone for Vardy too - you're really sucking the enjoyment out of it for them.
Are you saying that if the game allowed you to sub Vardy out for Iheanacho when the team line ups were announced with Vardy on the bench you would have kept Vardy?

The Safety Net isn't going to help managers all the time but in most cases it should.

P.S. I had Vardy as captain.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FanTeam”