To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Blanks, Doubles and Chip Strategy (19/20)

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
FranckKessie
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Blanks, Doubles and Chip Strategy (19/20)

Post by FranckKessie »

Mav3rick wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 15:23 Beyond it, I'm fairly sure the defensive double up is better.
What makes you sure of this? The two sources where one can optimise team fplreview and fantasyfootballfix for example favour Mane+Salah+TAA.

What does your excel sheet with FFScout projections come to as best option? :)

Like all I’m in doubt.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

The overthinking being done for the TC is quite astonishing. It is a luck chip. IMO the best approach to it is to play it in the earliest DGW so it's out the way and won't get in the way of planning the FH/WC/BB further down the line. These are chips that actually depend on FPL management skill and not the performance of one single player.

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

Mav3rick wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 15:23 Yeah I have Robbo, TAA and Mane, but have Sterling and two frees so a Salah swap is possible for the DGW.

Beyond it, I'm fairly sure the defensive double up is better, it's just if a single Salah really provides much defence if the Mane v Salah TC goes badly.

Same decision for most I guess. How scared are you of the one of Salah/Mane you don't have and how effective is a non captain pick against a TC pick if things go against you.
I think the double defence offers better value as well but with the funds sitting in the bank and no obvious upgrade or issue with my side I do just feel like taking a punt for this run and hoping I get the captaincy calls correct.

Would give a power midfield of Mane Salah KdB Rich and Cantwell on the bench

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

FranckKessie wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 15:39
Mav3rick wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 15:23 Beyond it, I'm fairly sure the defensive double up is better.
What makes you sure of this? The two sources where one can optimise team fplreview and fantasyfootballfix for example favour Mane+Salah+TAA.

Like all I’m in doubt.
For the DGW I agree you'd probably prefer the attacking double up if given free choice (due to it being two away fixtures). But in an overall squad structure for an extended run of games, I think I prefer the Robbo+TAA+1, with the remaining attacking budget going mostly on City options.

Liverpool defenders, especially the full backs, look so superior to anyone else for the upcoming run, but Sterling/Aguero, Son and KDB can keep up with the attackers I suspect.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I hope so....

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

If the TC goes massively against you, a Mane 2 pointer and a Salah 25 pointer (or vice versa), then does owning Salah help much?

If we assume some sort of average of 6 points from your alternative other Liverpool defender, then youd be 63 points down, minus what ever your savings could be earning so perhaps 59 points down overall?. If you had Salah instead (but uncaptained), 44 points down. A gap of 15.

I mean, one is obviously better but both are so damaging does it really help to mitigate the risk at all, especially if transfer cost comes into it.

I will make a call on which of Salah or Mane I want to captain and make a transfer there if necessary, but if I switch Robbo to Salah it's got to be a medium term plan, as I can't spend 4 transfers flip flopping them!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Yes to all that. Holding both must be a real pain, especially when one if the Defs you don't have tops 20 points...

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Post by Stevieste »

Not sure firminio and Allison ready for this DGW week, ive just seen a video of Allison crying because someone dunked bobby F under the water in his swimming pool 👀🤣

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Stevieste wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 17:43 Not sure firminio and Allison ready for this DGW week, ive just seen a video of Allison crying because someone dunked bobby F under the water in his swimming pool 👀🤣
Pardon 😨😱

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Post by Stevieste »

blahblah wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 17:44
Stevieste wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 17:43 Not sure firminio and Allison ready for this DGW week, ive just seen a video of Allison crying because someone dunked bobby F under the water in his swimming pool 👀🤣
Pardon 😨😱
Will whatsapp it you

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Stevieste wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 17:47
Pardon 😨😱
Will whatsapp it you
It sounds rude 😐

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Seriously. What a pair of winners 😐

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

blahblah wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 17:57 Seriously. What a pair of winners 😐
He is being baptised. :lol:

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

TAA, Mane, Salah (TC) for me

xJosh-
FISOhead

Post by xJosh- »

Mav3rick wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 16:19
FranckKessie wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 15:39

Like all I’m in doubt.
For the DGW I agree you'd probably prefer the attacking double up if given free choice (due to it being two away fixtures). But in an overall squad structure for an extended run of games, I think I prefer the Robbo+TAA+1, with the remaining attacking budget going mostly on City options.

Liverpool defenders, especially the full backs, look so superior to anyone else for the upcoming run, but Sterling/Aguero, Son and KDB can keep up with the attackers I suspect.
This is a headache I'm having tbh. Currently have Salah & TAA but scratching my head as to whether to bring in Robbo or Mane. Getting Mane means a 4 point hit & losing KDB until I see fit to swap back (which is likely to be after this run of brilliant fixtures) getting Robbo requires an 8 point hit. Personally I feel if you go with Mane & Salah you just have to pick one to captain and leave it on them all the way through these fixtures.

If I get Mane:

Chilwell > Williams
KDB > Mane

Ryan (Martin)
TAA Lundstrum Williams (Kelly, Rico soon to be Egan next GW)
Salah Mane Mahrez Fleck (Cantwell)
Vardy Rashford Ings

0.6 ITB

If I get Robbo

Chilwell > Williams
Cantwell > Dendoncker
Rico > Robertson

Ryan (Martin)
TAA Robbo Lundstrum (Williams, Kelly)
Salah KDB Mahrez Fleck (Dendoncker)
Vardy Rashford Ings

0.2 ITB

Unable to do Kelly > Egan by 0.1 :(

Any advice anyone?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Josh, I’d avoid the -8 and probably avoid the -4. Factor in those definitely lost points and the changes make less sense.
Obvs keep an eye on Rashford and his poorly back. Firmino for free would be a better switch if he’s still out or doubtful

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Pardon 😨😱
Will whatsapp it you
I’m intrigued now. Is it not safe for FISO?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Mav3rick wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 14:12
Stu255 wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 09:53 Therefore... We should expect over a million teams to score 90pts+ in GW24.

Of course it might not happen, but that is what the central expectation should be / is. If saving TC just prepare yourself for a big drop in ranking. But even if you do TC24 it can still all go wrong, Salah could get 5pts and Mane 50pts.
I follow the logic in your maths, but the TC effect is only 12 points or so. i.e. one times Salah or Mane. Big enough, sure, but playing the TC another (single) GW probably leaves you 6 down or so on average.

All the other points are up for grabs for anyone regardless of chip use. For a non-captained Mane/Salah you have the complication of a Robbo/VVD + 5m or so to look for more points from SGW players.

It's something I'm weighing up. A non captained Salah or a non captained Robbo + upgrades.
I also follow the maths logic but some of that is just phasing, the later chip use giving the opportunity to make up the ranking.

I’ll be using the TC in 24 to simplify the decisions around B/DGW time. At times I have lost out to a well used TC over that period, but I have also ended up with a Chip too many some seasons depending how the blanks and doubles actually pan out

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 10:59
Pardon 😨😱
Will whatsapp it you
I’m intrigued now. Is it not safe for FISO?
Im a frayed knot. It was Firmino's baptism in the holy waters of Alisson's swimming pool... Admittedly rather peculiar 😂😂😂😂

Google should lead you to The Sun or Mail...

xJosh-
FISOhead

Post by xJosh- »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 10:58 Josh, I’d avoid the -8 and probably avoid the -4. Factor in those definitely lost points and the changes make less sense.
Obvs keep an eye on Rashford and his poorly back. Firmino for free would be a better switch if he’s still out or doubtful
I don't normally ever take hits but considering I will be keeping all 3 for a very sustainable amount of time I'm happy to do it this week. The -8 is really offputting and I also feel the best combo is TAA+Salah+Mane.

Rashford is out for the Liverpool game unless its mind games but want to keep him for Burnley at home & further tbh

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

Josh, you could always FH for GW24?

Surely FH is an option if you’re considering a double hit to get on the TC chip?

If so you could use any FT’s you have now to prep your team for GW25.

Or Fermino via Rashford looks sensible?

xJosh-
FISOhead

Post by xJosh- »

Stu255 wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 14:13 Josh, you could always FH for GW24?

Surely FH is an option if you’re considering a double hit to get on the TC chip?

If so you could use any FT’s you have now to prep your team for GW25.

Or Fermino via Rashford looks sensible?
There's always a week every season where there are a lot of blanks which I always use the FH for, instead of planning like crazy and potentially ruining the structure of my team so tbh I hadn't even considered it. Rashford to Firmino could be sensible but he is so patchy and Rashford seems to be firing regardless of fixtures. I'd rather not do that really as I'm not fussed he's missing the Liverpool game its more Burnley at home I want him for. I think I'm just going to do the 4 point hit for Mane. I don't personally see an issue with it given that he will be in my team for the DGW & at least what 7-8 weeks and he's likely to bag me plenty of points throughout that period at the expense of KDB unfortunately. If I ever do take a 4 point hit it would only ever be in circumstances like these where the change is long term. I'm top of most of my cash mini leagues bar the big cash one where I'm 17h & there's 100 points between me and first. Still not convinced of the triple captain either tbh in 2 away games. Wolves away wont be easy.

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Are teams allowed to schedule a double gameweek during their winter break?

City could move forward their GW28 game to Thursday the 13th and have a pretty tasty West Ham (H), Arsenal (H) in GW26.

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

Burnley v Watford confirmed to take place GW31 as both teams are now out of the cup.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Well, a likely Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup meeting; if Chelsea knock Liv out, there's a distinct possibility of not using the free hit in the GW31 blank. Free hit seems a certainty if Liv progress in the cup.

It's all IFS though... :mrgreen:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Klopp will have a weaker lot out for the replay....

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

I wasn't planning on using the FH for a BGW anyways, not that I know which teams will be there, as I prefer using that chip for the potential of the bigger teams (e.g. another DGW) rather than "wasting" it on the "smaller" teams.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

blahblah wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 20:35 Klopp will have a weaker lot out for the replay....
Not sure that will make a difference at home to Shrewsbury. And if it does, then I'm pretty sure I won't be using the FH in GW31.
From4corners wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 20:37
I wasn't planning on using the FH for a BGW anyways, not that I know which teams will be there, as I prefer using that chip for the potential of the bigger teams (e.g. another DGW) rather than "wasting" it on the "smaller" teams.
Well from my own experience, I'd have been destroyed in past seasons not using my FH in a blank week so it was where I'd pencilled it in. I can adequately prepare for other DGWs, especially with the WC in hand. However the blank is very difficult to prepare for if it's a nasty one so the incremental points for the FH make it worth it imo.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

From4corners wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 20:37 I wasn't planning on using the FH for a BGW anyways, not that I know which teams will be there, as I prefer using that chip for the potential of the bigger teams (e.g. another DGW) rather than "wasting" it on the "smaller" teams.
Agreed. Using it to load up on Burnley and Wolves players just doesn't excite. If using it in GW31 can be sensibly avoided then I'll look to avoid it.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Sutter Kane wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 20:47
blahblah wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 20:35 Klopp will have a weaker lot out for the replay....
Not sure that will make a difference at home to Shrewsbury. And if it does, then I'm pretty sure I won't be using the FH in GW31.
From4corners wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 20:37
Well from my own experience, I'd have been destroyed in past seasons not using my FH in a blank week so it was where I'd pencilled it in. I can adequately prepare for other DGWs, especially with the WC in hand. However the blank is very difficult to prepare for if it's a nasty one so the incremental points for the FH make it worth it imo.
I'm not sure I trust Chelsea to beat either...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”