To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Gomez

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
MOBIUS
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 2005-06 52nd. 2013-14 117th

Gomez

Post by MOBIUS »

I’ve ended up with Joe Gomez as a cheap option for LI defence, with Salah and Mané.
Thoughts on this with DGW on the horizon?
Would be nice if Klopp has noticed that the run of 6 clean sheets has coincided with Gomez partnering VVD.
My own thinking is double up on LI defenders and toss a coin between whether to downgrade Salah and Mané is a better option, but would involve taking a hit. Plus there’s the quandary over Gomez long term.
Thoughts?

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Re: Gomez

Post by Stevieste »

Joe Gomez is the only liverpool defender who you solely rely on for clean sheet points as he wont get any attacking returns.

I have TAA and VVD and even though the latter can get the odd attacking return he will be going for me soon to robertson as him and TAA are on another level going forward.

I will have them 2 with Salah and just cry when Mane continues his fine run.

EastvilleIMP
Treebeard

Post by EastvilleIMP »

Stevieste wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 11:51 Joe Gomez is the only liverpool defender who you solely rely on for clean sheet points as he wont get any attacking returns.

I have TAA and VVD and even though the latter can get the odd attacking return he will be going for me soon to robertson as him and TAA are on another level going forward.

I will have them 2 with Salah and just cry when Mane continues his fine run.
That’s the approach I have, I ditched mane for salah as he’s on pens and was more of a differential in my ML.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Gomez is currently first choice. It’s his position to lose.

Matip hasn’t played for 11 weeks.
Gomez is playing really well.

Caf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Mostly 250k finishes!

Post by Caf »

I got Gomez in for Aurier two weeks ago – it's been one of my more successful moves of the season!
Have been thinking about his place in squad quite a bit, actually. I'd been assuming I'd upgrade him to Robbo/Mane when the DGW comes around, but am increasingly unsure about that. I've got transfers to make elsewhere so I might just keep him and minimise the ripping-up of my team.

If he continues to start (which I'd bet on) and Liverpool's 1-0 and 2-0 results continue (who knows but it's possible), he'll be close enough to Robbo's point totals that I think I'd rather keep the 2m to invest elsewhere.
If I was just picking a dream team for the DGW, of course I wouldn't have him, but as a long-term pick until the next wildcard, he seems like a good choice, someone who doesn't cost tonnes but you can stick in your XI every week regardless of fixture and have a decent expectation of some points.
My transfer value isn't huge, so these savings matter to me. If I was in a different position and had 107m squad value etc, I might not want him.

In summary - he's good for value and for assuredness of starts in doubles, not so good for points ceilings and for blocking off more explosive LIV players.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 12:54 Gomez is currently first choice. It’s his position to lose.

Matip hasn’t played for 11 weeks.
Gomez is playing really well.
So we think BUT he definitely was BEHIND Matip and Lovren in the pecking order from late August til they got crocked (Lovren came in ahead of Gomez when Matip got crocked). Has come on a lot in last few weeks - from looking very dodgy whenever he did get game time - but still has a mistake in him (a couple v Spurs).

What does Klopp really think of him? Probably is his position to lose but Matip could well be knocking on the door and will maybe take any opportunity of a Gomez rest / niggle to stake his claim.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

And he was first choice before he got his leg broke (last season). By the time he returned Matip was established AND Gomez was bit rusty (not helped by being used at RB when he was given minutes).

Matip was the better option.

I think the 11 week (and counting) absence will hamper Matip’s claim.

We’re about to embark on 5 games in 14 days... so there will be some rotations (you assume the FA Cup will be an obvious en-masse rest).

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

At the end of the day we don't know who Klopp fancies most. Since VVD arrived, his partner has always been the player in possession - who has grown into the role and not been dropped (even Lovren!).

Maybe Klopp sees that as Gomez long term or maybe he has concluded he isn't good enough. Either is possible. I think it is his position to lose at the moment (but I also think Matip at his best is better than Gomez with his inexperience. Plus I think Klopp will buy a new CB to challenge / take over in the summer as he isn't 100% sold on Joe)

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Totally disagree :)

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

With 6 of Liverpool’s 8 clean sheets coming in the six weeks since Gomez got in the team I’d say he’s ahead of the other two for now.
Any idea when each of Lovren and Matip will be back?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: Any idea when each of Lovren and Matip will be back?
Few quotes on LFC site. Think both in some form of training and could be back this weekend but would expect both to play first in Cup, especially now Nat Phillips has gone back on loan (recalled just for FA Cup 3rd round!).

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Apropos of nothing....

Since signing van Dijk, Liverpool have had 102 CL and PL games

Van Dijk started 97

CB partners in that time
Matip x 38
Lovren x 37
Gomez x 20

He hasn’t played more than 8 games in a row with the same partner

Matip x 8
Matip x 7
Lovren x 7
Lovren x 5
Gomez x 6
Gomez x 5

The six longest sequences managed.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Assumed that was cup rotations breaking the sequences more than injury changes but if only counting CL and PL....

From TFF stats page:
Gomez 8 starts, 7 CSs (will include FA Cup CS)
Matip 7, 2
Lovren 8, 0 (+1 partial CS, presumably when subbed off)

Statistically the answer is "play Gomez"
Last edited by murf on 14 Jan 2020, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

At the start of 18/19, Gomez started 16/20 games (four of them at RB though). Then he got his ankle broken against Burnley.

Missed 23 games

He was then sub 7 of the last 8 games (and started at RB against Barcelona at the Nou Camp).

19/20
First 22 games, 5 starts (2 at RB).
He’s started the last 5 on the spin at CB

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

murf wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 13:44 Assumed that was cup rotations breaking the sequences more than injury changes but if only counting CL and PL....
Injuries for the most part

Gomez injured or not in the squad x 33
Matip x 38
Lovren x 36

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Just thought Matip had longer runs (end of 18/19 and start of 19/20 (after early 'rotation'))

-------

Don't think vdBerg and/or Phillips are up to the job yet and with Lovren being touted around last summer I would expect Klopp to be after a new 4th senior CB (whether as first choice or reserve - who knows?)

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Post by Stevieste »

Matip and Lovren back now Klopp said so will soon see.

TAA could be rested now and Gomez moved to RB again

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

There was a run where they played quite a lot together but there was the odd rotation / suspension that stopped a straight run of games for the pair.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Stevieste wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 13:57 Matip and Lovren back now Klopp said so will soon see.

TAA could be rested now and Gomez moved to RB again
I think there will be the occasional use at RB... but after the busy December, by the time we play United on Sunday most of them have only played the game against Spurs in 16 days.

So time for them to be recharged.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Ah, Gomez. A role so memorably defined by the great Raul Julia.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Oh, please! No revisionist history from the kiddies on here if you don't mind.

Gomez IS John Astin.

The films are not as bad as many remakes (well the first one anyway, the rest are best not spoken of, ever again) but still lag far, far behind the originals.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

murf wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 13:44 Assumed that was cup rotations breaking the sequences more than injury changes but if only counting CL and PL....

From TFF stats page:
Gomez 8 starts, 7 CSs (will include FA Cup CS)
Matip 7, 2
Lovren 8, 0 (+1 partial CS, presumably when subbed off)

Statistically the answer is "play Gomez"
How many of these games featured Adrián in which they didn't keep a clean sheet?

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 14:10 Ah, Gomez. A role so memorably defined by the great Raul Julia.
I liked him better in Street Fighter.

By the way, I seem to miss some accents in his name. Surprising, coming from you. :mrgreen:

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

From4corners wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 19:38 By the way, I seem to miss some accents in his name. Surprising, coming from you. :mrgreen:
I Googled it. It seems the non-accented spelling of his name was the predominantly-used version, although having checked his Wikipedia again I see the man himself used the accents in his signature, so I seem to have done Mr. Juliá a disservice!

And yes, he was wonderful in Street Fighter, a movie he wanted to make so his kids could have something to enjoy watching him in, despite being very ill at the time. Wonderful actor, greatly missed.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

It's a meritocracy and Gomez is performing so he'll likely play. At the start of the season he was in poor form and lost his place, but most reds believe he has earned back his spot and I'm inclined to agree.

Klopp-o-matic
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Klopp-o-matic »

Gomez was first choice before he was injured and also he can play RB to cover for TAA if the latter is in need for a rest or something.

So he's a good pick.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Klopp-o-matic wrote:Gomez was first choice before he was injured and also he can play RB to cover for TAA if the latter is in need for a rest or something.

So he's a good pick.
That was 18 months ago!

He was fully fit in August but Matip got the place. Then when Matip got injured (Octoberish?) Lovren was picked ahead of Gomez.

Yes, Gomez has played well and it is arguably his place to lose but don't be deluded that he is Klopp's favoured CB or that you know what Klopp is thinking on this. I'm not. I don't....

Klopp-o-matic
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Klopp-o-matic »

murf wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 17:21
Klopp-o-matic wrote:Gomez was first choice before he was injured and also he can play RB to cover for TAA if the latter is in need for a rest or something.

So he's a good pick.
That was 18 months ago!

He was fully fit in August but Matip got the place. Then when Matip got injured (Octoberish?) Lovren was picked ahead of Gomez.

Yes, Gomez has played well and it is arguably his place to lose but don't be deluded that he is Klopp's favoured CB or that you know what Klopp is thinking on this. I'm not. I don't....
I transferred him in when he come back to the starting eleven and he's record since then is 5,8,5,8,6,6,6. Good value for 5,2 imo.

If he'll be benched you can transfer him out. But I don't think so. He's the fastest CB available in the squad wich help the team to play with a high defence line. Klopp talked about that in the start of the season, that Liverpool would like to play with an extremely high defensive line now when VAR is introduced. They don't play that aggressive nowadays (because they win anyway all the time) but if they would need to, they can do it and Gomez helps them out with that.

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”