To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

noelix's RMT/blog thread

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
noelix
Treebeard
FS Record: Nothing of note

noelix's RMT/blog thread

Post by noelix »

I like looking at other people's teams, so I thought I might as well throw mine out there for others to peruse. To be honest this is my first year really paying full attention to my FPL team (researching stats, looking at third-party sites for price moves, etc.). I did manage a 160k finish three years ago but I don't by any stretch of the imagination claim to be someone in a position to hand out advice to others. As much as anything, this is a place for me to "think out loud" with regard to my own decisions. Since I'm starting this mid-season, here's a little recap, which I hope won't make for an overly massive post.

This was my team for GW1 (ID 144006)
GW1.JPG

80 points is never anything to be sniffed at, but given there were a lot of high-profile big scorers, it was only worth a GW rank just outside the top million. If I'd captained Sterling over Salah I'd have been better off, but sadly poor captain choices has been a recurring theme for me this season.

That could be seen in GW2, where I kept the same team, changed captain to Salah who blanked, and got a total of 41 points (GW rank 2.8m) - was basically saved by 11 from Digne.

GW3 I brought in Mount and Pukki for Fraser and Deulofeu, both of whom provided immediate returns, which was satisfying. But this week I captained Sterling on 8 rather than Salah on 15 and got 63 all out (GW rank 531k).

GW4 I brought in Haller for King - again an immediate goal for my transfer in, but again the wrong S as captain, total score 55 (GW rank 3.5m).

GW5 I (surprise, surprise) captained Sterling for a blank when Salah scored and had Guilbert stuck on the bench for his CS, but Mount and Pukki returned again to help a total score of below-average 47 (GW rank 4.4m).

That coupled with an injury crisis was enough for me to trigger my WC, which I used for an almost complete overhaul to this:
GW6.JPG
That immediately paid off, with a return of 81 points (GW rank 158k). This was the week where a lot of people got 34 points from a KdB VC with Sterling dropped, but I got an ultimately slightly disappointing 18 from Aguero.

GW7 I used my remaining funds to change Pukki to Abraham, who I immediately handed the armband, virtually guaranteeing a blank. 46 points (GW rank 4.7m) brought me straight back down to earth.

For GW8 I transferred out the suspended Hayden for Saka at the same value, and my score of 41 was surprisingly above average (GW rank 2.1m).

So, having transferred in Ricardo for Digne during the IB, my team currently looks like this:
GW9 current.JPG
Edit: Forgot to mention: my current overall rank is now 351k, with 454 points.

Unusually for me, I already have in mind my (currently intended) next few moves. I'm thinking of going from Son to Mahrez next week, then using that cash for McNeil to Mount (or CHO depending on how those two are looking in the next couple of weeks) the week after, then banking an FT and downgrading either Aguero or Auba to Vardy and upgrading Mahrez to whichever premium mid is most affordable or attractive (Mane, Sterling or Salah). Of course, injuries and changes in form will probably scupper all those well-laid plans in due course!

So anyway, that's my season so far. Any thoughts are welcomed, although I do of course reserve the right to ignore any and every suggestion! :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

noelix
Treebeard

Re: noelix's RMT/blog thread

Post by noelix »

Well it was one of those gameweeks for pretty much everyone, but even so I didn't manage to make the average score which is disappointing. My starting 11 got 29 points. My 3 subs got about half of that (14) between them. Unfortunately only the lowest scoring among them (Cantwell) came on (for Aguero), giving me a GW total of 32, my first sub-40 GW of the season, and a 125k red arrow (GW rank 4.9m, OR rank 477k). Going to see how City line up tonight before I decide what to do next, but think I will stick to my existing plan of moving Son out for a second City midfielder alongside KdB. Mahrez and Dilva the prime candidates, decision may also partly depend on what ban Bilva gets.

GW9 horror show below:
GW9.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by noelix on 22 Oct 2019, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

firstly, I would not get too upset about progress so far. This has not been an easy to play season so far, given that almost everything you would expect to happen has not. The league table looks pretty predictable in many ways, but the individual players … well that is another story. Like you, I (and many others) have had a nightmare with captain choices, and should probably just put the armband on one player and leave it there all season.

We are far enough into the season (I think) to pick 11 players you can see scoring consistently over a period, one cheap solid bench player (or two if a cheap enough option exists) and be done with it, using transfers to go with longish term fixture runs (and pray that unlike other things, they come somewhere near to predictable).

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

one more thought, re your team specifically.

A leading player on here has a team of 3 MC, 3 CHE, 2 LIV as a core 8. Sterling, KdB, Otamendi, Mount, Abraham, Tomori, Salah, Robertson … no massive shockers in there are there? Personally I question Tomori (or any Chelsea defender unless they are going to get forward a lot), and perhaps Otamendi's place is doubtful going forward (probably safe for a little while), but I am being picky. Good safe strong core (the other 3 starters are Pukki, Wilson, Pope btw).

I think you veer a bit too much from the safe core. If Son was a punt given the Watford fixture then ok, but having Sako and Cantwell in addition seems a bit too risky to me.

(and the above player struck gold this week, with Ota and Salah replaced by subs called Lundstram and Rico and their 14 pts...)

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

Yeah fair points raoul, thanks. I probably did go a bit too "wild" with my WC only including 1 LIV and 2 MCI. I'm not a fan of taking hits when I can avoid it and I still quite like my team overall, but will probably look to even my squad out a bit towards more of the "solid core" you suggest gradually over the next few weeks.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

If I had a WC this week, I would probably go with:

Henderson
Lundstram, TAA, Robertson, Pereira
KdB, Sterling, Mahrez, Mount
Vardy, Abraham

A bit out there in terms of the 3 MC mids but as long as Sub 1 is playing every week I would not see it as too off the beaten track.

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

Yep I currently have five of those and three more are among those I've mentioned for potentially bringing in over the next few GWs, so we are definitely thinking along similar lines!

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

Well I was one of those who made the captain megafail of Aguero this week. Was planning to swap him for Vardy in a couple of weeks but regardless of what happens in the cup, now that the "Aguero starts at home" idea is gone I just don't trust Pep to start him vs Southampton, so I made the switch before the respective price rises and falls on Saturday night. Gives me 5 mil in the bank, and I'm considering a -4 to bring Mount in to midfield for Cantwell/Saka and go 3-4-3 this week. None of them are close to a price move at the mo, so will give it some more thought.
47 points (GW rank 3.7m) means a 210k red arrow to 688k. Could actually have been a lot worse given the captaincy choice and the fact my only Leicester player is Ricardo. Next week will be better (*rolls eyes*)
GW10.JPG

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

A good gameweek for me for the first time in a while. Won't complain about the captain fail this time as the performances of the City assets hurt pretty much everyone this GW and it looked like a very obvious choice in theory. Diego Rico scored the same as my entire midfield (including captain KdB) which is pretty weird, and that mammoth Lundstram score was a huge help. Transfer in Vardy matched the score of Aguero, who he replaced, so I can live with that. All in all it was 74 points (GW rank 875k) and a 250k green arrow to OR 437k.
GW11 points.JPG

Not sure what my next move is. I'd like to get in a Wolves asset for their upcoming fixtures, but I don't really want to change any of the my 3 up front, even with Jimenez in form. Their top scorer in midfield is Traore, who is interesting as something of an OOP, but has had three blanks in a row and took a grand total of zero shots on Saturday, despite Wolves racking up 24 in total. D Silva's injury is also a bit of a headache, but if he only misses the Liverpool game and is back after the IB I'm thinking I might just hold onto him. That would mean Cantwell coming in off the bench this GW, and I don't really have faith in him to return anymore, but if it's going to happen, home to Watford is surely a decent opportunity. So at the moment I'm leaning towards rolling my 1 FT and potentially using it to ship out Silva during the IB *if* it's looking like a longer lay-off. Or maybe I should do Auba to Jiminez this week? I wanted to keep Auba to captain against SOU in GW 13, but they've now shown themselves to be far from pushovers with 11 men. And taking Auba out this week avoids me having him vs Pereira as a clash in GW 12. Those ideas could of course all change during this week, especially with European games to come. Hopefully KdB, Tammy, etc. make it through unscathed.

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

In terms of transfers, does anyone have any thoughts on the following options:
a) Do nothing this week and start Cantwell this GW vs WAT in place of injured D Silva
b) Cantwell to Traore/Moutinho and play them in place of D Silva
c) Aubameyang to Jimenez
d) David Silva to someone, e.g. Maddison
e) Something completely different

JanosKojak
Wideboy
FS Record: Rank 918 (2012/13)

Post by JanosKojak »

I would go with d) if the replacement is someone who you are happy with in the long term.

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

Thanks Janos. I think what's holding me back from that is it would reduce me to just 1x MCI and 1x LIV. That doesn't look like a bad idea this week when they play each other, but it doesn't feel likely to pay off for very long given how dominant those two teams are ...

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

Taken another look at upcoming fixtures and I'm really coming round to Maddison in for D Silva. Might go ahead with it tonight as FFFix has Maddison potentially rising tonight. Not that I'm close to missing out in terms of available funds, but might as well save myself the 0.1 if I'm confident it's what I'll do later in the week anyway, and it's not like Leicester have potential injuries in Europe to worry about.
Edit: I suppose I might yet regret it if someone else in my squad gets injured on European duty and becomes a bigger priority to ship out, hmmm ...

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

72 points this week (GW rank 357k) means a healthy green arrow of 170k up to an OR of 267k. Happy with that going into the IB. Vardy's 24 was my joint-highest captaincy score of the season and my first captaincy success since GW6 (18 for Aguero in the 8-0 when I could have had 34 from KdB, so let's call it a half success :lol:). Makes such a difference when you get it right - the Vardy party was 33% of my total points this GW.
GW12 points.JPG
Injuries permitting, I'm currently planning to roll my FT with an eye on a double transfer pre GW14: potentially Auba -> Jimenez, providing a mammoth bank balance to do Cantwell -> Mane. That will mean benching two out of Guilbert, Rico, Lundstram, McNeil each week though. I realise Liverpool have a blank in GW18, but can someone confirm that the Carabao/Qatar "solution" means they will be playing Watford in GW17?

Assuming I make no transfers, the decision for GW13 is whether to start Abraham at Man City. The other bench candidates are Guilbert (NEW) Rico (WOL), Lundstram (MUN) or McNeil (wat), all four of whom have reasonable fixtures and all four of whom I've lost points from benching in the past … But City actually look pretty porous at the back at the moment and Tammy's away form has been good. Ederson might well be back though, which makes a difference. I've currently got Rico first sub, will see how my thinking develops over the next two weeks!

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

Got a bit behind with this due to recently becoming a father! But like my boy, FPL doesn't sleep, so here we are in GW 15 already.

GW13 brought 66 points (GW rank 816k) and a 50k green arrow up to 219k:
GW13.JPG

I stuck to my transfer plan and brought in Mane and Jimenez for Saka and Aubameyang, which didn't immediately pay dividends, so GW14 was less successful (56 points and a GW rank of 2.5m), but still saw another green arrow up to 184k OR.
GW14.JPG
I decided to stick with Tammy and used my FT for Pope -> Henderson, meaning I still have a couple of Sheff Utd lads still to play and will thus update fully on GW 15 in due course, but so far it's been reasonable with 64 from 9 players and Rico first sub if Lundstram misses out tomorrow for any reason.

Update edit: Lundstram and Hendo let me down with a point apiece, meaning a final GW score of 66 and a 40k green arrow to 140k (GW rank 913k)
Last edited by noelix on 22 Dec 2019, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Congratulations

dod
FISOhead
FS Record: I have never won FPL.

Post by dod »

Congrats!

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

C'mon guys, my rank's not that good! :wink: But seriously, thanks! :D

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

Congratulations mr and mrs noelix :)
You are building a fine squad.
Good luck and enjoy

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

Got a few minutes spare so here's another quick update!

GW16 was far from great, but rescued from disaster by 26 points from Captain Vardy - no transfer made, total score 53 (GW rank 3.9m), 65k red arrow to 205k OR, but qualification for the FPL cup.
GW16.jpg
Pre GW17 I brought in Grealish for McNeil on a whim. He missed a pen, but that actually did me a favour as it protected CS points for Hendo and Lundstram. In hindsight probably not my smartest move. Anyway, 19 points from KdB helped me to a score of 69, a GW rank of 1.4m and an overall green arrow of ca. 40k to 162k. In the cup I drew a team with a deceptively low OR, as they only joined in GW5 but had been pretty active since. They managed 52, which meant I progressed to the next round.
GW17.jpg
For GW18 I was wooed by Spurs assets and took out Maddison and Mane for Alli and Son, immediately captaining the latter. Saturday went pretty well, with 48 from 8, and I have that Spurs duo and Tammy to come this afternoon. Hopeful of a green arrow, Rashford probably my main risk factor. My cup opponent is 8 points behind with Son and Greenwood to play. I have Son captained so he would need Greenwood to significantly outscore Alli and Tammy combined, making me think progress is pretty much assured.

Edit: To round this off - yes I did get through in the cup, but Sunday was a disaster, with -2 from Cap Son, 1 from Alli and 2 from Abraham. So I'll consider myself lucky to get away with 49 points (GW rank 1.4m) and an 18k green arrow to 144k OR.

Despite his regular returns, due to upcoming fixtures I'm thinking Jimenez will probably head for the door this week. I'm tempted by Ings, but their fixtures really do look tough (is he fixture-proof at the moment?) so I'm leaning towards Rashford, despite Man United overall being extremely unreliable. Will see how he gets on against Watford (although hopefully not too well, for the sake of my current team!).

Edit: After the Son red card, he has been replaced by Sterling, leaving me 0.1 in the bank!
Last edited by noelix on 23 Dec 2019, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Ings is a tricky one. I have him and, because of that upcoming run, have him on the possible sales list. However he’s the best value in his price range IMO so there’d be no guarantee his replacement will do any better.
The alternative of upping the amount of cash up front (e.g. Rashford) is an alternative but I’d need surgery elsewhere.
What I wouldn’t do in your position is bring Ings in

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 12:58 Ings is a tricky one. I have him and, because of that upcoming run, have him on the possible sales list. However he’s the best value in his price range IMO so there’d be no guarantee his replacement will do any better.
The alternative of upping the amount of cash up front (e.g. Rashford) is an alternative but I’d need surgery elsewhere.
What I wouldn’t do in your position is bring Ings in
Nice to hear from an owner, thanks - I agree with your summary!

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

That certainly hasn't made Rashford look an encouraging option … Wolves have some good-looking fixtures again after the next two, so maybe I'll just hang onto Jimenez - could even bench him for Cantwell on Boxing Day (although Todd only hauls when he's on my bench!).

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Wolves do like to play against the big teams no? I brough Jiménez in this week and tempted to get rid for Pukki myself who could have so much fun against that poor Villa defence ( :cry: as I'm a Villa fan). You have Cantwell so doubling up might not be your best bet.

Can see Jimmy score against City so yeah not sure what to do myself..

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

Well looks like Son out is now my first priority! I have just enough to turn him into Sterling which is pretty tempting for City's upcoming fixtures, although his form hasn't been great.

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

So as mentioned above, I shipped out the suspended Son for Sterling pre-GW19. It was a GW won and lost in the evening kick-offs, and thankfully they went my way - TAA's haul together with returns from captain KdB, Sterling and, somewhat surprisingly, Jimenez, gave me a score of 77 (GW rank 203k) and a lovely 84k green arrow to possibly my highest ever mid-season rank (this is my first year paying really close attention, so not sure) of 60k! That was also enough to get me through in the cup by a comfortable 40-point margin.
GW19.JPG
I was looking at either Foster, Ryan or Ramsdale to bring in for Henderson ahead of SU's tough run, and of course I went for the one who lost his CS after three minutes, rather than the other two who kept theirs for 90! After the first day of GW20, rotation and poor performance from those who did play had me on 6 points from 6 players and I thought all my good recent work was about to be undone, but Sunday turned things around - a goal from Tammy, CS from TAA and, for only the third time this season, the fact I captained my top scorer (KdB) got me up to a bang-on average score of 54 (GW rank 3.7m) which meant a far smaller drop than feared, to 84k overall. I also snuck through in the cup, 54-52. I'm looking to roll my FT this week and from next GW start working towards getting in two more LIV assets for their double GW. Getting Salah and Mane will be a stretch too far I think, so looking at one of those two (potentially to triple captain) and bringing in Robbo to accompany Trent. Probably upgrading Pereira and Sterling and downgrading either Dele or Grealish to get there.
GW20.JPG

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

Another pretty much bang-on average gameweek - 49 points (with a bit of luck from Cantwell first sub) means a GW rank of 3.3m and a 24k red arrow overall to OR 108k. Used one of my FT to do Alli to Maddison before price changes, so hoping he stays fit over the FA Cup week. I'm now thinking I need to get both Salah and Mane in for GW24 onwards, especially with KdB moving deeper in midfield. Plan for the next couple of weeks is to is downgrade Pereira, maybe to Webster, and upgrade Sterling and KdB to the LIV duo.

Fortunately my 49 was enough to sneak through in the cup, so that dream lives on!
GW21.JPG

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

I’d agree that three Liverpool are a must for DGW24. Not necessarily Salah and Mané in your position though. Wouldn’t Robertson be more achievable?

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

Yeah I think it is more easily achievable and that was my original plan, I'm now just worried about picking the "wrong" one of Salah and Mane and losing a lot of ground!

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Take it from me. You’ll have the same dilemma deciding which one to captain if you have both!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”