To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2019-20

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2019-20

Post by blahblah »

jimmy ching wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 14:20 Bielsabub Babes 110

The Championship feels like purgatory, as Ipswich and Forest fans would probably endorse.
Yep Aussie Kisses are the way to go and so much more fun....

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

blahblah wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 14:25
jimmy ching wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 14:20 Bielsabub Babes 110

The Championship feels like purgatory, as Ipswich and Forest fans would probably endorse.
Yep Aussie Kisses are the way to go and so much more fun....
Norwich and Southampton used this technique to get to the Premiership through the back door. They took it when the opportunity arrived.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

Matchweek 9 is complete after BARNSLEY fell to BRENTFORD today. They join the cellar dwellers STOKE and HUDDERSFIELD. The latter at least got a point, at last.
LEEDS began the weekend on top but are now 4th. FOREST were top dogs for a few hours but WBA gor to the top at QPR early on Saturday.
In the basement area are MIDDLESBROUGH , heavy at home losers to SHEFFIELD WED. READING got a useful point at SWANSEA and DERBY managed their first home win of the season v BIRMINGHAM. FULHAM beat WIGAN on Friday to move up a little and a thriller at PNE 3-3 v BRISTOL CITY is worth noting.
Next match week is a double header so there could be substantial changes to the next consensus table next time.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

an interesting set of fixtures on Tuesday with WBA at Leeds from the top end and HUDDERSFIELD at STOKE in the basement. FULHAM visit READING and MIDDLESBROUGH will try again at home v PNE.
On the attendance levels LEEDS will be the leaders, FOREST and DERBY neck and neck around 28 thou and a whole clutch 20 to 23, often depending who are the visitors. I think we might have the basis for a fun game on this in the next few weeks.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

halfway through the week we have a new leader SWANSEA whose weekend game is at home to basement dwellers STOKE. Win that and they stay top.
London clash for FULHAM v CHARLTON. WBA entertain CARDIFF and LEEDS go to The Den v MILLWALL.

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

It is a really good competition this year. Leeds and Fulham must be seen as favourites. I think WBA, Bristol City, Forest and Swansea will all be there or thereabouts. At the moment I am chuffed to bits with Swansea top given the fixtures we have had too. Played a lot of the top teams. Stoke however seem to be a bogey team for us.

CptPugwash
Grumpy Old Man

Post by CptPugwash »

If a team can manage to lose at home to Huddersfield, I would have thought that the Dog & Duck 2nd XI would fancy their chances of overcoming that particular bogey.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

MILLWALL lose their manager. Apparently Neil Harris, once a successful player at The Den has walked away from the job. Anyone from the locality know anything ?

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

theo29 wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 14:55 MILLWALL lose their manager. Apparently Neil Harris, once a successful player at The Den has walked away from the job. Anyone from the locality know anything ?
I rated Neil Harris a lot and I thought he did really well for the club. Last year they punched above their weight and would have got to the Cup Semis if it wasn't for a freak equaliser. They might struggle without him.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

CptPugwash wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 16:22 If a team can manage to lose at home to Huddersfield, I would have thought that the Dog & Duck 2nd XI would fancy their chances of overcoming that particular bogey.
Sounds a desperate game, from two teams recently in the Prem.

How long will Stoke persevere with Jones ? Surely they have some money being owned by the Bet 365 family but with just 2 points they risk being cut adrift,
Last edited by bluenosey on 05 Oct 2019, 11:33, edited 2 times in total.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Just have to add what a top performance that was from Blues last night. Absolutely battered Boro, playing some great stuff but in true Blues fashion, nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory :?

The balance of the team in the first was class and the youngsters coming through - Bellingham and Bailey amongst them - show there is a future. Well done Pep 8-)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

bluenosey wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 11:30
CptPugwash wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 16:22 If a team can manage to lose at home to Huddersfield, I would have thought that the Dog & Duck 2nd XI would fancy their chances of overcoming that particular bogey.
Sounds a desperate game, from two teams recently in the Prem.

How long will Stoke persevere with Jones ? Surely they have some money being owned by the Bet 365 family but with just 2 points they risk being cut adrift,
I thought it was Betfair.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 111

I know, I know, I missed the report of the back to the top of the table win against WBA. There’s no point tweeting on the top branch in the Championship tree. You know me, I’m just the bringer of doom and gloom, hence, I had to wait for the Millwall match.
As it happens it was a fun week. I have the suspicion my write up was Nicked or should I say lost amongst the Lambig, Coté de Rhone and beer. The last match I watched with Nick was the Galatasaray semi-final, this time though Leeds squeezed a win. Yes, it’s all getting a bit too much in this whose going to be top next week league.
Leeds arrived and left London with their appalling record intact. Didn’t they use to call it the Magpie disease?
Anyway, the papers might say Millwall won it but the reality was the ref lost it for us. Got to take these games on the chin. We all hope it’s swings and roundabouts over the season, even though it never seems that way.
Leeds played well with their ten men. Millwall went in to clearance mode. Effort and endeavour was all over the pitch from both sides. The ref was the odd one out. No doubt he now realises he’s got a lot of homework to do. We all have a bad day at the office. No doubt he’s happy Leicester got the headlines. Millwall finished 2-1 victors.
It was a tough week for Bielsa as he had to shelve his Neil Harris file and start a new one on Adam Barrett. He did not know what to expect. Now he has a defensive problem after the Berardi red card. What a time for Struijk to get injured as an opportunity arose. It’s bare bones time for the defence.
It will be interesting to see how he plays this. The prediction by some is a blooding of a young centre back Oliver Casey. The relief is, we have the International break to get sorted.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

BARNSLEY and READING have inspired a new FISO acronym CCC standing for Championship Coach Carousel. This will almost certainly appear regularly here as desperation takes hold among the 24 clubs. Today's victims Daniel & Jose make way for whom ?

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

The Swans may turn out to be better on the road than at home, when Swansea are at home the opposition are more likely to sit back and the Swans have trouble breaking teams down but away from home they have more chance to hit teams on the counter attack, that seems to be the story so far anyway.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Harsh on the Barnsley boss who took them up, what did they expect exactly?

The Reading guy seemed to have a questionable CV (main qualification seemingly the fashionable one of being Portuguese) but made a decent start at the back end of last season before things fizzled out. Anyway, I don’t expect to see the “old school” names recycled to replace them, more likely to keep spinning the wheel appointing from abroad or the lower leagues.

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

jimmy ching wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 11:38 Bielsabub Babes 111

It was a tough week for Bielsa as he had to shelve his Neil Harris file and start a new one on Adam Barrett. He did not know what to expect. Now he has a defensive problem after the Berardi red card. What a time for Struijk to get injured as an opportunity arose. It’s bare bones time for the defence.
It will be interesting to see how he plays this. The prediction by some is a blooding of a young centre back Oliver Casey. The relief is, we have the International break to get sorted.
That shows how far I'm away from things here in Switzerland...... I always thought that Beradi is the problem when he's playing.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beradi is Swiss, played in the youth team of my favorite Swiss club Lugano. He left Switzerland at the age of 16 and went to Italy. He has 1 cap for Switzerland.

Just to mention it, Alioski also came from Lugano to Leeds, but direttissima! 8-) 8-)
Already loved him then back in Switzerland

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Reading manager Jose Gomes deserved to go, form has been terrible, didn't appear to know his best team or formation, tactic was if Reading were behind then throw on as many attackers as possible until there were none left on the bench, always started slowly in games (but he was a thoroughly nice bloke and kept us up last season). I will miss his assistant Jorge Mendonça more as he used to pick up a yellow card almost every game.

Interesting graphic attached showing how long each team has spent winning / drawing / losing this season (Reading v Preston next up) :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

while the search for a new 'guiding light' goes on in at least 3 Championship clubs FOREST'S Sabri Lamouchi claims the manager of the month award for September,
Their current position comes as something of a pleasant surprise to many in the vicinity who rather doubt they can keep it going. Early days of course but to be well ahead of the Rams at any point in the season is always cause for satisfaction. Getting better gates as well !

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Reading have appointed Mark Bowen as their latest manager. 'Who?' I hear you cry. He's been around football management for the past 20 years, mainly as a second in command. He's been at Reading for about 6 months, firstly as a technical consultant then as Director of Football since August. The appointment hasn't gone down well with the baying masses in Twitter due to the conspiracy theories surrounding how he got the previous manager sacked so he could steal his job, plus the fact he's new to management.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

meanwhile 120 miles North or so the DERBY DRIVERS, messrs Bennett and Lawrence make their appearance before the Derby magistrates. Driving ban almost for sure, but will they make the team when action resumes at the weekend ?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, they escaped prison sentences, but shameful of Derby not to sack them.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes Centenary Edition.

It’s been 100 years since the EFL got up to their ‘Dirty’ old tricks and indirectly created ‘Dirty’ Leeds.
All was ‘Dirty’ at this time. They’d slapped a lifetime football ban on Herbert Chapman and folded the City club. The Football League then ordered a meat market auction, to take place in the Leeds Metropole Hotel. The Leeds players were then in line to be inspected by the Chairmans of other football league clubs. The bidding began. The players were sold to the highest bidder. The footballers then had a choice. They could say no and leave for another job, just not in the football league. One of those was Mick ‘Boxer’ Foley. He elected to leave and return to Dublin. He continued his football with Shelbourne Rovers. The Irish Free State was just about to be born and ‘Boxer’ Foley went on to Captain the National team. Unfortunately, he only made one appearance.

Yes, the football committee was full of ‘Dirty’ laundry then, it is pretty much the same as it is today. I still love the game though, especially through the Leeds lens. Perfect if you’re a conspiracy theorist. I love conspiracies, it helps me knit my memory together. Even though the theory might be wrong, the framework and the facts might just be right.
Around the time Leeds United were born, the world was in flux. It had just witnessed the First Great War. Leeds City had just won the unofficial national war league title. Chapman was the manager, whilst doubling up by working at Barnbow, an ordnance factory in the East of Leeds.
This was the time when notes in football boots were rife. Talking loosely was seen as against the national security. But alas, rumour was abound whether it was planted or just hearsay. There was one going around in the football committee, that nobody would say ‘No’ to Norris again. He somehow persuaded them to let him put his Arse on show in the Premiership, even though they had finished 5th in the second division. He got them to ignore the Brummies and the Wolves and boiled it down to that eternal question, are you an arse or a tot man? What a politician he was.
Norris was a man of Fulham and Wimbledon renown. He saw football as a future investment. This was at the same time Chapman’s future was moving in the opposite direction. Norris had development plans for the London game. This is where history teaches us a lesson on how quickly your future can flip around. Norris ended up being banned from the game, whilst Champan went on to a glorious career in football management.
The football committee had decided, Leeds United, just formed, would be one of the clubs to be elected to the expanding Football League and placed in the 2nd Division. Some put it down to votes from the guilty.
When Leeds came trotting out for their first game at Elland Road, they were sporting the Newcastle colours. In the game on Saturday, Leeds will be wearing a one off kit, to celebrate our centenary but what will it be? Some say it will be the Huddersfield one from the twenties, others the Blue and Gold quarters of the thirties. Even more want the Revie’s all Whites from the sixties.
At the moment, I have the suspicion it will be a replica of our first kit because Radrizzani is a Juventus fan.
Anyway it’s time to go to the ‘Dirty’ old town and join in the celebrations.
Happy 100th Birthday, Leeds.

Psssst! And keep it ‘Dirty’.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Happy 100th, you young upstarts (from the oldest club in the League... sorry Stoke, your claim doesn’t hold up) :wink:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

forestfan wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 17:57 Happy 100th, you young upstarts (from the oldest club in the League... sorry Stoke, your claim doesn’t hold up) :wink:
That is much appreciated with it being from one of the Elders.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

jimmy ching wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 18:24
forestfan wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 17:57 Happy 100th, you young upstarts (from the oldest club in the League... sorry Stoke, your claim doesn’t hold up) :wink:
That is much appreciated with it being from one of the Elders.
That referring to Forest, of course (personally, I’m a mere youngster, by FISO standards) :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

morganb wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 08:40 Reading have appointed Mark Bowen as their latest manager. 'Who?' I hear you cry. He's been around football management for the past 20 years, mainly as a second in command. He's been at Reading for about 6 months, firstly as a technical consultant then as Director of Football since August. The appointment hasn't gone down well with the baying masses in Twitter due to the conspiracy theories surrounding how he got the previous manager sacked so he could steal his job, plus the fact he's new to management.
The olde Norwich bod?

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

blahblah wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 19:18
morganb wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 08:40 Reading have appointed Mark Bowen as their latest manager. 'Who?' I hear you cry. He's been around football management for the past 20 years, mainly as a second in command. He's been at Reading for about 6 months, firstly as a technical consultant then as Director of Football since August. The appointment hasn't gone down well with the baying masses in Twitter due to the conspiracy theories surrounding how he got the previous manager sacked so he could steal his job, plus the fact he's new to management.
The olde Norwich bod?
Yes, I think Norwich were one of the teams he either play for or was assistant at. What do you know about him, as he's a bit of an unknown quality at Reading.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I just remember him from the legendary early 90’s Norwich team, and didn’t he miss a famous penalty for Wales, or was that Bodin?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Pretty much that, and may have scored vs Bayern?

Wasn't he part of "Big Club Manager" Hughes coaching staff?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”