To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Will we be forced into a wildcard in GW2 or GW3

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Is an early wildcard a necessity

Poll ended at 22 Aug 2019, 20:17

The thoughts are utter non-sense
20%
My team is strong enough, no need
32%
I prefer to take hits
10%
Wait and see
20%
Early WC planned
17%

Total votes: 69

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Will we be forced into a wildcard in GW2 or GW3

Post by Lucky »

By looking at the leaders after GW 1, a template of must-haves arises:

Salah 12.5m (45% owned)
Sterling 12m (36%)

one of the premium strikers of

Kane 11m (30%)
Aubameyang 11m (18%)
Agüero 12m (18%)

and a minimum of two premium defenders, i.e.

VVD 6.5m (52%)
Walker 6.0m (20%)

This adds up to app 47.5m, leaving you only 52.5 m for the remaining 10 players. Another template player could be Martial 7.5m (8%) who is playing out of position as a forward. In that case the rest of the budget does not leave much space for error. It seems foreseeable that we will get some price moment up to the next deadline. The expensive ones get even more expensive, the cheap playing ones (4.5m and 4.0m) will also see a hefty rise as there are not too many. So will the early bird catch the worm?

Last year it seemed that the pricing was much more favourable, since the expensive players started to perform later and the key players were lower priced.

What is your opinion?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Re: Will we be forced into a wildcard in GW2 or GW3

Post by Mav3rick »

I don't think it's required, or even sensible, to have 3 super premiums, at least until such time as the value players to support it emerge.

It was not particularly unpredictable that Sterling, Salah and Kane would return in GW1, so I think if you didn't start that way you have to think of the reasons that you didn't and hold firm until those reasons are no longer valid.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Im seriously trying to avoid WC'ing.

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

The template works, so long as Sterling scores a hattrick each week.

Also lots of people used TC and BB in GW1, the TC gamble worked well for quite a lot of people.

I scored 66, but I’m happy with that. I will score flatter and with greater consistency with my 5 premium defenders.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

Most of us have 2/3 of Kane, Salah and Sterling anyway. A wildcard wouldn’t change, what 4/5 fringe players at best? The core would remain the same. Not worth it at all just yet in my opinion.

I’ll assess my team after GW6.

ajcairns
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Still Decidedly Average.

Post by ajcairns »

we've had no price rises yet after four nights which feels less volatile than previous years. Of those close to a rise, Sterling and Rashford stood out with their performances and de Gea and Ederson are splitting the Allison owners as they shift him out.

Not really any notable impending drops and even Allison is still some way from going to 5.9.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

The Toon Man wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 07:49 Most of us have 2/3 of Kane, Salah and Sterling anyway. A wildcard wouldn’t change, what 4/5 fringe players at best? The core would remain the same. Not worth it at all just yet in my opinion.

I’ll assess my team after GW6.
I've only got Sterling and I think that I should have Salah too.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

ajcairns wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 07:57 we've had no price rises yet after four nights which feels less volatile than previous years. Of those close to a rise, Sterling and Rashford stood out with their performances and de Gea and Ederson are splitting the Allison owners as they shift him out.

Not really any notable impending drops and even Allison is still some way from going to 5.9.
Is it? I don't remember many GW1->2 price rises, and remember that more will drop than rise.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Makes sense for those that went Kane instead of sterling to wait until after Newcastle home

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

I agree it feels less volatile. Last year Richarlison rose after a couple of nights due to his brace. I would have expected Rashford, Martial, Kane and Sterling for example to have risen by now, and Allison to have dropped given his high starting ownership and knowledge he is out for a while.

I suspect it means they have either tweaked the formula, or people are playing more sensibly and patiently these days. To assess which we would need to compare transfer numbers between last season and this but I don't have this data.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Or more already have the Mids compared to Richarlison? And getting Rashford or Kane is tricky for those that don't have them, not to mention Kane's next fixture.

True Blues
Treebeard

Post by True Blues »

I’m not looking to WC but may take a -4 hit if Martial price likes like moving. Generally I’m happy with my team and had a solid week 1 (100 points). I've got 3 premium players, VVD and DDG.

I’m not desperate to replace Perez but when I saw Utd’s line up with Martial playing at number 9 I realised that I need to bring him in and Perez is the only one that I’m prepared to swap out. I missed a trick that he would be playing there when Luk left.

I need to find 1m to ‘upgrade’ so will need to swap out one of my mid range defenders to fund this. If Martial’s prices hold then I swap him after the cut-off when I have 2 free transfers, if it looks like he will go up then I’ll need to take the -4 hit as I wont be able to afford the extra 1m otherwise.

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Lucky »

Certainly lower transfer activity so far. But it could also be related to the Super Cup match on Wednesday. Maybe we see some acceleration thereafter.

no eye deer
Treebeard

Post by no eye deer »

I don’t see a template has emerged yet. Salah, Sterling and at least a couple of premium defenders I agree with, but most people had most of this anyway (maybe not both Sterling and salah). It is the forwards that I think are hard this year and for me no certainties have yet shown themselves.
Kane scored 2 goals but had done very little for first 85 mins and this was against supposedly weak opposition. Abameyang scored the only goal in a 1-0 win (again against supposedly weak opposition) and got 0 bonus points, why ?
I don’t see any template forwards yet emerged

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

That's what Kane does, nothing , then scores, hardly news.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

True Blues wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 12:03 I’m not looking to WC but may take a -4 hit if Martial price likes like moving.
:lol: It just moved, at a very odd time.

Newfounder
Treebeard
FS Record: poor, I always seem to finish nearer the bottom than the top

Post by Newfounder »

I have already used my WC, maybe stupidly maybe not. Originally had James in of Man U but swapped him (he scored) and knew I should put Sterling in but didn't know who to leave out. A mess became bigger and the WC is gone too quickly. However prices have changed - Sterling up by 0.1 and Alisson down by 0.1. All includes a bit of good luck I suppose. Won't use other chips until Christmas / New Year at the very earliest.

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

Unless your team's a disaster I feel it's way too early for a WC. Tempted to remove one of my Liverpool defensive block for someone like Wan-Bissaka, move out King for Pukki and Trossard for McGinn, but feel I should wait as players I take out could punish me. Think it's actually better to blank for another week than miss out on points from a player you knee-jerked out. Funnily enough I didn't actually do that great in GW1 and was really helped by Sterling's captaincy and Kane's 2 late goals. Really a reminder how important picking a good captain is. Something I haven't done so well at in previous seasons.

kingofpop
Treebeard

Post by kingofpop »

i have made my widlcard

Adrian
VVD Mings Maitland-Niles
Salah Sterling El Ghazi Martial
Rashford Aubameyang McGoldrick

Button Lundstarm Rico Dendoncker

Still dont feel Aguero will start in every match

wonkypenguin
Grumpy Old Man

Post by wonkypenguin »

Sutter Kane wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 08:58 :lol: It just moved, at a very odd time.
What time did the moves actually happen?

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

wonkypenguin wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 13:40
Sutter Kane wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 08:58 :lol: It just moved, at a very odd time.
What time did the moves actually happen?

06:30 according to CTC. It's usually around 02:00 BST. I suppose we'll see over the next few days if that's a new regular time or just a one off.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”