To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

4.0-5.0 Defenders

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Mike1989
Treebeard

Re: 4.0-5.0 Defenders

Post by Mike1989 »

I currently have Taylor from Burnley and Mings from Villa as my two bench 4.5 defenders. Both should player regularly and be ok rotational options if I need to make a change. I've currently go VVD, Azpilicueta and AWB as my starting trio, so I probably won't have to use them unless one of the main three miss a game. But Taylor offers some assist potential and Burnley do usually get around the double figure mark in clean sheets, and Mings at Villa does offer a set piece threat and should chip in with some clean sheets.

In regards to starting defenders in this price range that I'd consider starting;

- Kyle Walker-Peters: If the kid can lock down the right back spot he potentially has the most upside of the 5.0 defenders working on the basis that he can continue to be a threat going forwards as well as Spurs being solid at the back. Top six team and 5.0 defender are not common place.
- Sokratis: I'm not a huge Arsenal backer in terms of their defence but if he starts he can chip in with a goal and if they tighten up at the back they are a way into a top six team at only 5.0
- Ake: is a good goal threat and Bournemouth have appealing fixtures, however they did concede 70 goals last season. Can they be relied on?
- Bertrand: as long as last season was a blip, then he usually contributes over a 100 points and a handful of assists. In the two seasons Southampton managed double digit clean sheets he scored over 120 and 140 points. So clear value at 5.0 if Southampton return to form.
- Boly: I'm not fond of Wolves' opening fixtures, the possible second season regression, and any effect the Europa League might have on them. But if they can put all of that aside and be the Wolves of last season then Boly does have value because he offers a goal threat and some clean sheet potential.

The 4.5 range are always tough to project but I think Taylor from Burnley, one of the fullbacks from Villa could have value like Taggert, Mings from Villa has potential, and so could the young lad from Norwich Aarons.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

It's all about the Rico now surely, his LB rival has just picked up an injury:

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport ... -campaign/

[Lloyd] Kelly is also expected to miss the start of the season with ankle ligament damage.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

FootballFanatic wrote:
TOPCATDUSS wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 20:00 I thought spurs made aurier available for transfer? which suggests foyth will be rb unless spurs sign anyone to play there.
Foyth will be rb I believe. He's been playing there for Argentina (plenty of recent starts at right back for Argentina) and Pochettino is Argentinian of course.
Eventually, he's suspended and who knows WP may be undroppable after he pockets Mane

Aurier on way out I think

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Stemania wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 15:23 It's all about the Rico now surely, his LB rival has just picked up an injury
It feels a bit ridiculous to say but I just can't get excited by a starting £4.0m defender when it's one who plays for porous Bournemouth (67, 67, 61, 70 goals conceded in the four seasons since their promotion, an average of 66.25 goals per season). And I say this as someone who regrets picking Adam Smith in his GW1 squad last season, when Bournemouth had an even longer and better run of opening fixtures than they have this season.

Now of course, I reserve the right to change my mind (and then change it again, and again, and again... :roll:), but as things stand I'm happy paying the extra £0.5m for my Villa/Burnley D4 rotation.

I Am Ville
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: FPL Best 5,025 (16/17)

Post by I Am Ville »

Rico and Dunk could be a good rotating pair for 8.5

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 15:47 Now of course, I reserve the right to change my mind
Can I try to lure you in with a stat? In the time he did play last year Rico's xA per 90 minutes was 0.18, which is very decent indeed, and only behind

Trippier (0.19)
Mendy (0.20)
Robertson (0.22)
Digne (0.23)
Dalot (0.24)
TAA (0.26)
Kolasinac (0.32)

in terms of regular defenders. But that's the whole issue with him I guess, good going forward but a very ropey defender (a bit like Kolasinac actually, but much worse) so wouldn't usually play. :P

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Stemania wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 16:25 But that's the whole issue with him I guess, good going forward but a very ropey defender so wouldn't usually play. :P
Yeah, and maybe I shouldn't be turning my nose up at a starting £4.0m defender, and I agree he's a great option if you really need to squeeze an extra £0.5m out of somewhere. But I don't think I do, so I'm happy to invest that £0.5m in (what I hope will be) better defences. His xA numbers are interesting, but even if he does get an assist in a game, that still only leaves him with a net total GW score of 3 points. :P

Put it this way: he's no Wan-Bissaka. :wink: (Cue a 12-pointer in GW1. :lol:)

Taff Murray
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FISO 5AS FA Cup Winner 2016/17, FISO 5AS Champions League Winner 2018/19 Best FPL Pos 11/12 - 9959th

Post by Taff Murray »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 16:32 Put it this way: he's no Wan-Bissaka. :wink: (Cue a 12-pointer in GW1. :lol:)
Ain't that the truth. :roll: :lol:

Edwaardz
Treebeard

Post by Edwaardz »

Sutter Kane wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 17:53 Zouma in at 5mn. If he nails down a first team place at Everton or Chelsea, could be decent.
Started again tonight in what looks to be their first choice defence. Obviously Chelsea won’t be hoarding clean sheets this season but he’s a nice route into a big side - the rest of the defence is 5.5-6.5.

Rudiger only doing light training at the moment.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

FootballFanatic wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 15:09
TOPCATDUSS wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 20:00 I thought spurs made aurier available for transfer? which suggests foyth will be rb unless spurs sign anyone to play there.
Foyth will be rb I believe. He's been playing there for Argentina (plenty of recent starts at right back for Argentina) and Pochettino is Argentinian of course.
Foyth just got stretchered off, which might mean everyone will select KWP come GW1.

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Post by Stevieste »

From4corners wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 21:09
FootballFanatic wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 15:09
Foyth just got stretchered off, which might mean everyone will select KWP come GW1.
Just about to post this.

Surely this makes KWP a steal now at that price.

Didnt he get like 3 assists and a clean sheet when he played in one of the matches last season ?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Aurier could still be fit for GW1?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Stemania wrote:Aurier could still be fit for GW1?
Kwp still ahead of Aurier imo

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Billy Bongo wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 21:40Kwp still ahead of Aurier imo
What do you mean 'still'? :?

Aurier was evidently ahead of KWP last season. Six of KWP's seven PL+CL starts came when Aurier was injured.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Spurs fans said KWP was terrible yesterday but after today's performance they are again praising him. As things stand I think it's a coin toss who starts GW1, assuming that Aurier is fit enough to play their last friendly and performs well. If he doesn't play in that friendly, then KWP has to be a favourite to start GW1, right? Hopefully we will have more information until GW1.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

I ain't getting suckered into Spurs full-back roulette this season. Sticking with my rotating £4.5m pair in D4. Good luck to all those punting on either of the Spurs boys. The potential upside is huge but the risk is just not worth it for me.

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

Crazy to have Kelly and Rico ? Just to sit on bench really .

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

No not crazy. I'd be more inclined to pick Lundstram but I'm really not sure who the 4mn more likely to start are. 3 at the back then.

If you can pick starters at 4mn, then I could never label that as madness. Later on, post WC perhaps, we might not see any 4mn starters, so it might be short-lived.

EastvilleIMP
Treebeard

Post by EastvilleIMP »

I had Kelly and Rico, have since gone to lundstram over Kelly - both bench options who I’m hoping start.

wonkypenguin
Grumpy Old Man

Post by wonkypenguin »

EastvilleIMP wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 12:26 I had Kelly and Rico, have since gone to lundstram over Kelly - both bench options who I’m hoping start.
Kelly from Bournmouth or Palace?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Charie Daniels has in the space of a day appeared back at training out of nowhere and starts today's friendly!

Rico suddenly not looking good again, which by my count brings the likely 4m starters back down to zero. :(

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Yeah you don't really want to be relying on press conferences at the last minute to reshape the squad. Manager has to come out and declare which one is going to start, which he probably won't! Looks like Daniels now though.

No 4mn defenders would really be a blow after the hope existed that we'd at least have one. Five at the back now a consideration again... :|

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Stemania wrote:Charie Daniels has in the space of a day appeared back at training out of nowhere and starts today's friendly!

Rico suddenly not looking good again, which by my count brings the likely 4m starters back down to zero. :(
I disagree, that line up for Lazio looked second string with the odd first reamer

The Lyon line up looks more like the first team I suspect

My guess is Fraser started Lazio to let Howe look at Brooks replacements

Rico still first choice imo and it should give a clue on first choice keeper as well although looks certain to be Boruc

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

I'd expect Lerma and Ibe to start in GW1 too from that lineup, not just Fraser. So it's not as simple as it being second string.

Rico wasn't first choice. He only came in last season because Daniels got injured. It could be that Rico starts the first one or two as Daniels gets fitness (arguably enough to pick him), but still has to beat Stacey even then.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Stemania wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 13:56 I'd expect Lerma and Ibe to start in GW1 too from that lineup, not just Fraser. So it's not as simple as it being second string.

Rico wasn't first choice. He only came in last season because Daniels got injured. It could be that Rico starts the first one or two as Daniels gets fitness (arguably enough to pick him), but still has to beat Stacey even then.
I will probably have one 4.0 defender in any case, even if they all are non-starters. I think Rico is still the best bet, because he has probably the best chances to start and he clearly has most attacking potential.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Me too.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Yep, we will all probably have a 4m just in case one starts

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

A non-starting 4.0 combined with a non-starting 4.5 striker is leaving benches a bit short isn't it? I may well take Rico up to wildcard, on the assumption he has a 50/50 shot of being first choice, but post-wildcard I can't imagine taking two deadspots, if that's what they turn out to be.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Kelly starts for Palace again today. But the consensus still says he won't start GW1? Why exactly?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I'm totally cool with 2 dead spots as I'm assuming I'll WC gw4 I also do

The ownership numbers for defended are almost forcing 4 at the back

I'm happy with just Diddonkey to cover

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”