To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Youtubers, Podcasts etc

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Youtubers, Podcasts etc

Post by blahblah »

I've been watching a few on Youtube and most are absolute pants.....

Are there any good ones?

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Re: Youtubers, Podcasts etc

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

I listen to a few podcasts

PlanetFPL is great, a really easy listen and sensible advice. They have also done over 30 pre-season podcasts including an episode on each side featuring a "correspondent" from the clubs fanbase which are definitely worth a listen.

WhoGotTheAssist is slightly dryer, more stats based pod but again an easy listen with good sensible advice. Regularly have guests on with good standing in the FPL community (usually twittersphere).

FML FPL features two very loud Americans who bring a different perspective on the FPL game. Very entertaining and a lot more decisive than some of the English based pods.

FPL Contrarians more Americans but those with a background in American Sports Fantasy. Can help cut through some of the bias' that we have.

All these pods have been releasing content over preseason and tend to release a podcast for each GW during the season.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

The only youtube one I watch every now and again is FFS-scoutcast regular Andy's (Let's Talk FPL), but agree that the vast majority are awful. Even his are often aimed at a too introductory level, but at least he knows what he's talking about. :P

In terms of pods, I class baganboy as the expert in terms of knowing the podcast scene. Looks a decent list above from DLIAH.

Not mentioned, but my personal favourite (by a distance) is Always Cheating - two really knowledgeable and affable guys (with really smooth sounding voices :lol:). They did a particularly good 'Ten tips' one recently. I dip in and out of WGTA and the Scoutcast (which has unfortunately suffered since the loss of Mark Sutherns) too.

Agent Overson
Treebeard

Post by Agent Overson »

The Gaffer Tapes was excellent. Well presented, professional, funny, decent advice, no wonder it won award(s). Seems it ended last December though which is a shame.

Any others I have listened to (perhaps 4 or 5) have come nowhere near Gaffer Tapes. Most are either dull to listen to or trying to be funny but failing miserably.

There is one (can't remember which) that has a presenter that feels the need to swear all the time. That's the worst one.
Last edited by Agent Overson on 30 Jul 2019, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Agent Overson wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 11:47 The Gaffer Tapes is excellent. Well presented, professional, funny, decent advice, no wonder it has won award(s).
It's stopped, unfortunately: http://www.thegaffertapes.com/blog/announcement
Agent Overson wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 11:47 There is one (can't remember which) that has a presenter that feels the need to swear all the time. That's the worst one.
I believe that's FPL FML. I dipped in but recently unsubscribed. The swearing seems to be their USP. :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

FPL Family is unintentionally funny...

Fergi222
FISOhead
FS Record: DreamTeam Champion 20/21, Highest FPL Rank 715th, Top 100 in Sky and TFF

Post by Fergi222 »

FPL Surgery is my favourite, good players, presenters and with sound advice every week

FootballFanatic
Red & Blue Braces

Post by FootballFanatic »

I gave up on youtube years ago most of the people on there are either kids or act like kids.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

blahblah wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 11:18 I've been watching a few on Youtube and most are absolute pants.....

Are there any good ones?
All the YouTube ones are crap . Especially Andy and Az from FFS. Don't get why people take advice from him or any of the FFS team.

Some good pods =

FML FPL is the best one by far
Who got the assist
Planet FPL

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

I like Fantasy Football Hub's YT videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcqEr3 ... F2a1yW8qgQ

Will - the site owner - is the guy who usually releases them and he utilises some of the Member features within the videos, which are usually 10-15 mins in length so easy to digest.
In fact, sucker that I am, I signed up for a season membership to their site given their tools and articles looked better than FFS to my eye. Long-time FISO member Shotsontarget is responsible for one of the member tools, I believe.

A big +1 for Always Cheating, I'm a Patreon member and have met them a couple of times. They put out some excellent content including a Kitchen Table pod every Thursday, which kinda sits in its own space given most pods are released earlier in the week when we don't have all the latest info available to us.

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

There was one I listened to last night called FPL Surgery, mainly because it was a special episode interviewing James Yorke from statsbomb so I considered it worth a listen. Episode was decent enough but unfortunately James has little interest or knowledge of FPL so it wasn't quite as insightful as I was hoping, still some decent nuggets of info in there mind. Can't comment on the podcasts usual quality.

I still listen to the scoutcast and the videos FFS produce, these are really good tbf and have lots of good stats in there and usually sensible opinions, mainly from Jonty. They lost their USP of Mark Sutherns though so it may be other pods are doing what they are these days, I don't know.

WGTA podcast does occasionally hit gold and I like the guys doing it, I just find some of their features annoying, such as the crowbarring in of a "theme" every week, their zombie league update (who cares, the teams aren't being actively managed anyway!), and their bizarre fixations etc, like insisting Callum Wilson is Norweigan and constantly bringing up any reference to Lingard being "young". These were funny the first time but after 2 years of bringing it up every episode its a bit trying. Between all that though theres some good advice.

I used to really like Triggerlips quick 5 min pods he did, he often went off on brilliant tangents or got involved in winding up everyone with an FPL account on twitter which was amusing, but he stopped doing them after he thought twitter was affecting his gameplay.

J eggersdorff used to do a 10 min weekend preview which was really good, but he quit after a bad season. The equivalent of the kid in the park who owns the football picking it up and taking it home mid game because he didn't like someones slide tackle.

FPL General is ploughing on despite a similarly awful year last year, I found myself listening to his pod and was always delighted when I was doing the opposite of what he advocated as it was guaranteed to work out. It was always like a soothing balm listening to his pod after I had a bad week as I was always still ahead of him at least so it was a morale boost ahead of the next gameweek! :lol:

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

There's a history of people with good records going it alone in some public way or another, before crashing into a horrible season. Weird. :lol:

When on a pedestal I guess you forget to look in the mirror, or you feel pressured into doing something 'show-ey' or 'differential-y' to prove your prowess. :P

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

dino1980 wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 15:52 I like Fantasy Football Hub's YT videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcqEr3 ... F2a1yW8qgQ

In fact, sucker that I am, I signed up for a season membership to their site given their tools and articles looked better than FFS to my eye. Long-time FISO member Shotsontarget is responsible for one of the member tools, I believe.
I've really liked some of their free-to-air articles (one in particular from shotsontarget). Having now subscribed would you recommend it?
dino1980 wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 15:52 A big +1 for Always Cheating, I'm a Patreon member and have met them a couple of times. They put out some excellent content including a Kitchen Table pod every Thursday, which kinda sits in its own space given most pods are released earlier in the week when we don't have all the latest info available to us.
Amazing!

Has slowly become my pod priority. I notice they also always recommend FFH, so maybe liking the two come as a package. :lol:

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

I'm not very familiar with this stuff but my vague impression is that most of it is just "watch out for City rotation" and "Salah has a great fixture but Sterling is in great form, good luck whoever you decide to captain" kind of stuff which I don't find very useful.

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

Stemania wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 17:09
dino1980 wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 15:52 I like Fantasy Football Hub's YT videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcqEr3 ... F2a1yW8qgQ

I've really liked some of their free-to-air articles (one in particular from shotsontarget). Having now subscribed would you recommend it?
dino1980 wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 15:52 A big +1 for Always Cheating, I'm a Patreon member and have met them a couple of times. They put out some excellent content including a Kitchen Table pod every Thursday, which kinda sits in its own space given most pods are released earlier in the week when we don't have all the latest info available to us.
Amazing!

Has slowly become my pod priority. I notice they also always recommend FFH, so maybe liking the two come as a package. :lol:
I'll be honest Stem, I've not had time to have a proper dig around yet, I signed up mainly for the Sky Fantasy content as I'm going to give that game a go this year for the first time and it has some planners/software that look a cut above for that purpose.
However, for FPL the members' tool that hooked me in was the easily sortable Opta tables and combined xAtt metric that they have, which is xG+xA p90 converted to FPL points. It was something I used to work out myself via Understat. (demo here + screenshot underneath: https://youtu.be/UyTAh4Pu_n0?t=248). I've now got 10 days off work so will actually have time to delve into the members' area and take a proper look around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

Stemania wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 16:56 There's a history of people with good records going it alone in some public way or another, before crashing into a horrible season. Weird. :lol:

When on a pedestal I guess you forget to look in the mirror, or you feel pressured into doing something 'show-ey' or 'differential-y' to prove your prowess. :P
Much better to stay safely hidden under the cover of Fiso eh Stem? :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Tbh I haven't seen anything close to what is on here....

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

The Triggerlips pods are by far the best, only 5-10 min long and genuinely funny, shame he's not really doing them anymore.

Can't be arsed with the ones that drone on for hours.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

Gambit wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 18:48 The Triggerlips pods are by far the best, only 5-10 min long and genuinely funny, shame he's not really doing them anymore.

He's hilarious. He doesn't like the FFS crew does he. That's part why I like him tbh :lol:

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DAREEL »

DAREEL wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 19:51
Gambit wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 18:48 The Triggerlips pods are by far the best, only 5-10 min long and genuinely funny, shame he's not really doing them anymore.

He's hilarious. He doesn't like the FFS crew does he. That's part why I like him tbh :lol:
Controversial but my thoughts is that if you need people on YouTube to help make your decisions with all the resources available these days then what's the point

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

DAREEL wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 19:54
DAREEL wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 19:51

Controversial but my thoughts is that if you need people on YouTube to help make your decisions with all the resources available these days then what's the point
agreed, when you look at the content on here for example it's staggering that people pay somebody via this Patreon? nonsense

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

TheRumourMill wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 18:11 Much better to stay safely hidden under the cover of Fiso eh Stem? :lol:
Ha ha, yep. I'd hazard a guess that slow long-winded wordy and heavily revised posts on a forum wouldn't translate into pithy quick witted unplanned chatter. I'd just say things like "Err...well, I like the idea of picking Salah, two Liv defs, Wilson, Siggy, Sterling, KDB etc" and everyone hearing it would be like "durr, we knew that, they'll all obvious names". :lol:

Besides, the way I've always seen it, it's the discussion itself on places like FISO that actually leads to the possibility of doing well, rather than much innate ability. There was a really good bit in the AC tips podcast (OK, that's enough plugs now :lol: ) where they described how important they thought it was to have a community of people who's opinions you trust and can bounce ideas off; doesn't matter where, except twittery-like noisy places, but just somewhere. Couldn't agree more. :)

Bobby Reds
Cheetah

Post by Bobby Reds »

I've only come across this channel the last few days but I like his content.

FPLFootballAdvice.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7SMQ ... R-TYhAfeCg

I Am Ville
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: FPL Best 5,025 (16/17)

Post by I Am Ville »

I listen to loads of ‘Pods’ as I do 1.5 hours in the car every day.

Always Cheating is by far the best. America guys who really know the game and is very well put together. I like it a lot

FML FPL is funny. They are very self deprecating and not as good at FPL as the Cheaters but its good

Planet FPl is quite funny and has really grown on me. BUT the 2 guys that do it are actually not very good at FPL but I find it quite entertaining and more use it as an antithesis to my thoughts

FPL Surgery is good. If a little ‘safe’ but some useful stuff on there.

Triggerlips when he can be bothered is funny.

Who Got The Assist, I just really couldn’t take to at all. Didn’t like the voices or the production. Just didn’ suit my ear

59th minute The General is just him and it can get quite boring. He should do much shorter ones but he is clearly very knowledgable.

If you only have time for 1 or 2 then I’d probably say Always Cheating and FPL Surgery are the best 2.

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man

Post by TheRumourMill »

Stemania wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 20:34
TheRumourMill wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 18:11 Much better to stay safely hidden under the cover of Fiso eh Stem? :lol:
Ha ha, yep. I'd hazard a guess that slow long-winded wordy and heavily revised posts on a forum wouldn't translate into pithy quick witted unplanned chatter. I'd just say things like "Err...well, I like the idea of picking Salah, two Liv defs, Wilson, Siggy, Sterling, KDB etc" and everyone hearing it would be like "durr, we knew that, they'll all obvious names". :lol:

Besides, the way I've always seen it, it's the discussion itself on places like FISO that actually leads to the possibility of doing well, rather than much innate ability. There was a really good bit in the AC tips podcast (OK, that's enough plugs now :lol: ) where they described how important they thought it was to have a community of people who's opinions you trust and can bounce ideas off; doesn't matter where, except twittery-like noisy places, but just somewhere. Couldn't agree more. :)
Yeah I'd agree with that, I find FISO far more useful than any podcast for the reasons you state there. The podcasts can trigger thoughts in my head to check myself later, but I certainly won't make decisions on them alone. They're something interesting to listen to when I'm driving, mainly.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

FPL Tips from FF Fix is 😱😱😱😱

I just found it and I'm not sure they know anything about football etc Just stats..... Do they know Mosa Lah and Kun may well not start GW1?

What about in the Rotation clip: "Newcastle conceded more at home (or similar) and paired with Sheff Utd" what sort of help is that?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Bobby Reds wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 21:26 I've only come across this channel the last few days but I like his content.

FPLFootballAdvice.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7SMQ ... R-TYhAfeCg
Apart from looking like he is in a Car Park about to go dogging, he is ok to good on the general stuff, but his particulars don't erm float my boat.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Over 3k watching a Live Stream of Let's Talk FPL doing his last draft and he has shirt, tie and jacket on 😎

Pope Button
VvD, Robbo, Digne, Din (Lstrom)
Salah, Sterling, Lucas, Perez (Dendoncker)
King, Wilson (Greenwood)

Only punt is Lucas, apparently - does he know Everton at best will have Mina playing and didn't get the Gueye replacement?

Maybe I should message that Mendy is fit to start? 😂

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

lol

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Have to say, I think I'll call it a day tuning in to scoutcast. I just started listening to the GW1 news one with Jonty + 1 and they touched on the possibility of choosing Milner as a third Liverpool option. Credibility hits rock bottom. I could almost feel myself getting worse at FPL with every word listened and had to switch off. They did have a fun recollection podcast last week with Granville (one of the two originators, alongside Mark) in honour of it going so long - and 'so long' is what I think I'll have to say to it, with Granville's bookending being a natural finale. :(

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”