To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Great TV Series

Post by forestfan »

Better Call Saul season 4 delayed until next year, seemingly due to Vince Gilligan working on the Breaking Bad spinoff movie. Wouldn’t it have made sense to wait until BCS was over to pursue that project?

Looks like Peaky Blinders is back pretty soon, given BBC seem to be plugging the box set etc... about time, seems near two-year gaps are becoming the norm with a number of series, which really feels unnecessary unless they’re massive budget visual spectaculars.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I think most series’ are movie like production standards now. So the net impact is us having to wait longer.

BCS being impacted by the movie is disappointing. I don’t think everyone has made the natural transition to watch BCS... so the sooner they get the film out, to keep the brand alive (and cash in) the better (for them)? Presumably?

Also need to make sure they can get Walt et al whilst they have space in their calendars.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 09:20 I think most series’ are movie like production standards now. So the net impact is us having to wait longer.
The issue with “waiting longer” comes in the form of whether it’s always possible to keep the cast and crew together when a successful series with, say, an average run of five or six series now lasts for a decade. Depends on the show, obviously, whether it’s a revolving door cast or one dependent on a small number of stars. But a TV series is a big commitment and not like, say, getting someone to come back for a Star Wars movie every couple of years. And once previously little known TV actors go A-list, they will have lots of offers. Good shows could meet a premature end by not being to keep their line-up together if they take too long over it.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

Top marks from me for Bang, a great series.

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

Watched Dirty Money, which overall was ok, however the ending was dire!
Better to have shortened the run up and stretch out the end ?
Seemed that they had run out of time/money and had to rush to finish it.
Seems common theme recently :roll:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Well that and putting off the ending for another series or 10....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Nailing the ending is the most difficult thing of all, but I prefer it when shows at least have a go rather than waiting until they fizzle out or don’t get recommissioned. As for endings of non-final series, particularly for shows with one main plotline, you just know they’re going to throw in that contrived twist to prevent it being resolved for good, as there’s another series coming!

Anyway, just finished Killing Eve S2 - didn’t think it fell too far short of the first one, really. There was the occasional clunky, cheesy line of dialogue, and the new minor characters didn’t add much, but those were small issues on the whole.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

And another pants ending, imho.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 08:19 And another pants ending, imho.
Yep (assuming you mean Killing Eve S2!). Seems like they feel they need a big ending but one they can 'reverse' for the next series.

Talking of pants endings, Gentleman Jack (sadly not as good as you'd hope from the subject matter, hype and excellent Wainwright/Jones combo) just fizzled out. Everything heads for a crescendo and then sort of works out without the fireworks so it can all be redone in S2.

Rogan888
Cheetah
FS Record: no

Post by Rogan888 »

Game of Thrones is my favorite series of all time.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Just finished Keeping Faith (S2). Pretty good. Excellent acting and characters etc but the plot was a bit poor, especially compared to S1.

(Also can't help watching a scene and realising the director would then shout "cut" and "OK, let's go again in Welsh" as they filmed it all in English and Welsh)

Maldini
Dumbledore

Great TV Series

Post by Maldini »

Three episodes in to ‘The Boys’ on Amazon Prime.

Super Heroes with a twist. A team of heroes called The 7 are morally suspect to say the least and the boys of the title are a group of vigilantes intent on inflicting their own form of justice on them.

Funny, violent and immensely enjoyable. Karl Urban (playing Billy Butcher) has a very dodgy cocker-nee accent but you soon look past that because his character is great.

8/10 so far.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Maldini wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 11:52 Three episodes in to ‘The Boys’ on Amazon Prime.

Super Heroes with a twist. A team of heroes called The 7 are morally suspect to say the least and the boys of the title are a group of vigilantes intent on inflicting their own form of justice on them.

Funny, violent and immensely enjoyable. Karl Urban (playing Billy Butcher) has a very dodgy cocker-nee accent but you soon look past that because his character is great.

8/10 so far.
Watched all of this over the weekend. Thought it was very good and can't wait for the next series.

As you said, Butcher's accent was terrible but I believe it was done deliberately as it's a satire on superhero films & TV shows.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Surprisingly, Breaking Bad doesn’t have its own thread;

Movie is out 11th October (Netflix).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 10:48 Surprisingly, Breaking Bad doesn’t have its own thread
I guess because it was a slow burner that most people binged at a later date!

Anyway, Peaky Blinders back tonight... 8-)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:Peaky Blinders back tonight... 8-)
Might wait a few weeks until I can binge to the end (assuming all episodes won't be made available immediately).

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 14:41
forestfan wrote:Peaky Blinders back tonight... 8-)
Might wait a few weeks until I can binge to the end (assuming all episodes won't be made available immediately).
They did with Killing Eve...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

But that had already been on in America (or somewhere).

Think they are still experimenting to find out what works best so some are available and others aren't.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Zimmerman wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 10:48 Surprisingly, Breaking Bad doesn’t have its own thread;

Movie is out 11th October (Netflix).
Well it can't possibly be as good as the box set, so that's probably one to avoid.

On the other hand, a shout for Catch-22 (Hulu/Channel 4), which after a so-so first episode was great - it captured the unique, tragi-comic humour of the book perfectly and had me laughing out loud.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I wasn't that impressed with Catch 22 to be honest. Was alright and watchable but hardly a classic (as the book surely is).

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

murf wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 21:01 I wasn't that impressed with Catch 22 to be honest. Was alright and watchable but hardly a classic (as the book surely is).
2 differing opinions from people who's view respect !!! did not watch as it is my fav ever read and could not see it brought to life as saw it in my head all those years ago, now not sure if to watch or not

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

It's not that it is bad, far from it. Just that it doesn't match what the book conjured up in your head.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

mikeg13 wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 21:36
murf wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 21:01 I wasn't that impressed with Catch 22 to be honest. Was alright and watchable but hardly a classic (as the book surely is).
2 differing opinions from people who's view respect !!! did not watch as it is my fav ever read and could not see it brought to life as saw it in my head all those years ago, now not sure if to watch or not
That may be why I was unsure about the first episode. By the end of the 2nd I'd made the necessary mental readjustment and all was well 8-)

Ps I read the book when i was 16, in Germany on an exchange programme. It was only years later that i realised how tactless that was!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Life on Mars is on I Player. 5 mins in and it was so good....

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Anyone watching Brassic it’s sort of like the inbetweeners. Watched 2 episodes and me the Mrs are quite enjoying it.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

happyhoppy wrote:Anyone watching Brassic it’s sort of like the inbetweeners. Watched 2 episodes and me the Mrs are quite enjoying it.
Pretty much same as you except only 1 episode so far.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I laboured through the first episode last night.

More Shameless than Inbetweeners for me.

Wasn’t overly taken with it... kind of trying too hard (and touch too much swearing). Christ how old am I :shock:

Then again, I only watched the first episode of Killing Eve this week. If it wasn’t for the fact that everybody I know absolutely loves/loved it... that would be getting jettisoned. Will stick with it for now.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Nail hit on head with ‘trying too hard’.

We got to the second ad-break and I’d not even raised a smile, never mind laugh. Binned it off.

Reminded me a little of the god awful Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels tv spin-off.

Usually like Joe Gilgun as well. He’s excellent in This is England and Preacher.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Agree with the 'trying too hard' comment. If you'd asked me half way through ep1 what I thought I might have said I was going to give up on it but it did improve and I laughed more. Will definitely give Ep2 a chance.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Zimmerman wrote: I only watched the first episode of Killing Eve this week. If it wasn’t for the fact that everybody I know absolutely loves/loved it... that would be getting jettisoned. Will stick with it for now.
You'll have to accept that the plot is ludicrous, and
almost every aspect of it is implausible. On the plus side it's quite original, and I thought Jodie Cromer played her strange role to perfection. Nevertheless I only lasted for half the first season.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”