To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Glastonbury 2019

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Glastonbury 2019

Post by unc.si. »

Anyone there? Anyone care?
BBC wall to wall coverage starting today.
Looking forward to seeing Idles, Fontaines DC and Stormzy today. Plus Kylie of course.
Will definitely be tuning in for the Cure on Sunday, but otherwise not really looked to see who’s playing.

Any hidden gems, recommendations?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Glastonbury 2019

Post by murf »

Promised so much coverage but not on the red button yet....

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

I wish I was there! Getting harder and harder to get a ticket these days :(

Loads of stuff worth seeing for me: Fontaines DC, Vampire Weekend, Black Midi, Babymetal, Janelle Monae, The Streets - I'll be glued to the iplayer over the next few days.

IDLES at The Park looking like a potential set of the weekend.

Maaaan, it's tough not being there. Very tempted to volunteer next year if I am unsuccessful in the sale again.

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

murf wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 12:27 Promised so much coverage but not on the red button yet....
Starts very soon I think. Should be good - 100 full sets will be available to view they reckon.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Shame it is now way too nice a day to waste it watching telly!

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I'm still surprised after hearing my nephew is playing there this year. Hard work rewarded. I'll keep smuck and just hope he puts in a decent performance.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

At last some coverage on the BBC.

Shame it is Sheryl Crow...

I know I'll try the red button...

More Sheryl Crow.

Can I have my licence fee back please!

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Stormzy worth the licence fee on his own

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

unc.si. wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 08:22 Stormzy worth the licence fee on his own
Yep, quite a show and great to see someone prepared to speak the truth about what's really going on.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

My Twitter feed has been awash with Stormzy love.

Can’t say I’m a fan, but will check out his set.

Only caught bit of Sheryl Crow, but didn’t particularly enjoy it.

I thought the coverage was a bit scant last night (compared to previous years) or is that my imagination?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Zimmerman wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 08:43 My Twitter feed has been awash with Stormzy love.

Can’t say I’m a fan, but will check out his set.

Only caught bit of Sheryl Crow, but didn’t particularly enjoy it.

I thought the coverage was a bit scant last night (compared to previous years) or is that my imagination?
To be fair to the Beeb, it was on Two for hours, and you can gorge on it online.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 13:54 Shame it is now way too nice a day to waste it watching telly!
Will probably be too hot to venture outside today, so more of an excuse to stay in and watch some of it...

Alternatively, sit in the garden with Glasto on your tablet/laptop with headphones, and a nice cold beer - it’s almost like being there, just without the crowds, tents and overpriced crap :wink:

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

I've been to Glastonbury one and off for the past 15 years, but it's now nearly impossible to get tickets unless you swarm the website as a group.

Yet, I see the same people going every year and they nevrr miss a Glastonbury. How do they do it?

Although this year, looks like a poor line-up and I'm happy to watch the bands I want to see in I-Player.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Foals set yesterday was excellent. Saw a few other good clips (slowthai, sigrid, johnny marr, Liam, cat power, lizzo ) but need to sit down and listen properly. Recording all the bbc coverage so I can go through it over the next few weeks.

Settled down to watch the Killers but got a bit bored to be honest and watched some of Stormzy again. Was a case of ‘do I stick around for Mr Brightside at the end of the set, or watch something more interesting then watch the killers encore tomorrow ‘. Went for the latter.

Hope the Cure are good tonight. I love them but live they can tend to meander a bit. I guess they’ll do a greatest hits rundown for the festival crowd.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I do like the Killers but wasn't largely impressed by the couple of songs I saw largely because they wheeled out the Pet Shop Boys. Gave up and watched my downloaded Fontaines DC and Idles sets. Much, much better, vibrant and 'happening' but maybe both suffer (especially for Festival crowds?) from more meandering 'songs' and less poppy choruses - a bit like Stomrzy from what little I saw of him.

Will watch Killers properly later when I can fast forward PSB (and Jimmy Carr!)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Hard to dislike the Killers really. Great tunes, just a bit bland.

The Cure were great last night. Managed to combine a 'proper' Cure gig with a festival crowd pleasing finale. Amazing how they sound just the same as ever. Robert Smith seemed pretty overwhelmed and genuinely happy at the end. No mean feat for a band thats been gigging for 40 years.

Highlights so far - Slowthai, Foals, Fontaines DC, Dave (and Alex :D ), The Cure, Kylie's duet with Nick Cave (albeit slightly creepy, but then the song is about obsessive murder), Idles, Loyle Carner.

Realised that Billie Eilish is actually pretty damn good as well, despite not exactly being her target audience. I mean I'm not going to go out and buy her albums but she does seem to have a lot more going for her than I was expecting.

And Stormzy. Not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but for me thats one of the great Glastonbury sets. Of all the coverage that I've recorded that will be the one set that I don't delete.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Just watched Stormzy do his big hit Voi Bop and it was, quite frankly, rubbish. No song or substance in there at all. I just don't get it. I know I am not the target audience but I find anything that big and popular usually transcends my taste. For instance Dizzee Rascal, Tinie Tempah, Kate Tempest and Loyle Carner all work for me (just as popular heavy metal and even classical stuff from other musical extremes do) but Stormzy? Nah. Dull and boring.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Well if everyone liked the same things life would be pretty boring :D

Vossi Bop is pretty low-fi. How about Shut up, Big for your boots, Know me from or Blinded by your Grace part II?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:Well if everyone liked the same things life would be pretty boring :D

Vossi Bop is pretty low-fi. How about Shut up, Big for your boots, Know me from or Blinded by your Grace part II?
Only know Big for your Boots and that has one, admittedly pretty good, hook chorus line and the rest is just plain dull.

Not saying it should be liked by me or altered for me just that I expect to see why others do like it (enough for him to headline Glastonbury). I can see that in most things from Pavarotti to Slipknot but, sorry, not Stormzy.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

murf wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 23:29
unc.si. wrote:Well if everyone liked the same things life would be pretty boring :D

Only know Big for your Boots and that has one, admittedly pretty good, hook chorus line and the rest is just plain dull.

Not saying it should be liked by me or altered for me just that I expect to see why others do like it (enough for him to headline Glastonbury). I can see that in most things from Pavarotti to Slipknot but, sorry, not Stormzy.
No need to be sorry 😀 if you don’t get it, you don’t get it.

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

Looking like a vintage year. It seems the weather was a bit much for some people but musically it has been absolute quality. Almost every act I watched I enjoyed:

Stormzy - I honestly thought he might have struggled. No new material (apart from one single) since he last played Glastonbury a couple of years ago. I was wondering what he was going to do. I certainly didn't expect one of the all time greatest pyramid headliner performances. Fair play to Glastonbury for taking a punt, which it definitely was at the time of booking. 10/10

The Killers - Great set. Great live band. Another excellent headliner performance. 9/10

The Cure - I love The Cure but having seen them twice before, on both occasions they absolutely bored me to tears. This was different. They sounded incredible and it's pretty amazing they can still come up with a massive performance like this after 40 odd years. 9/10

Idles - Easily the set of the weekend for me. Very emotional. One of the best bands around at the moment. 10/10

Slowthai - Been listening to his album for a while now and I've been struggling to make my mind up about it. I enjoyed this though. Looking forward to seeing him at Boomtown in a few weeks. 7/10

Ms Lauren Hill - Very much just going through the motions for me. Another one who will be performing at Boomtown. I'll give her a miss. 5/10

Fontaines DC - Loved it! One of my favourite bands at the moment. I'm desperate to see them live after watching this set. 9/10

The Charlatans - Dull and boring. I'm definitely done with this band now. 3/10

The Comet Is Coming - I'm not a Jazz fan but these were great. The saxophone player was mesmerising. I'd love to see these live. 8/10

Dave - Good. Extra points for the Alex moment :D 7/10

Janelle Monae I would have had a nightmare clash scenario on the Sunday night with The Cure, The Streets and Janelle all on at the same time. I'm seeing The Streets in a few weeks time so I reckon I would have gone for Janelle and I think it would have been the right decision. She was incredible! An amazing performance - 9/10

Babymetal - A lot of fun and something a bit different - 7/10

The Good, The Bad & The Queen - Too dull for me 5/10

Vampire Weekend - Great live band. Decent performance. 7/10

So next year is the 50th anniversary and it looks like it will be even harder trying to secure a ticket. However, I am determined to get there. My early guess for the headliners: Blur / Fleetwood Mac / Madonna

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”