To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Women's World Cup

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Women's World Cup

Post by murf »

Is anyone interested?

I hope I don't sound old fashioned or sexist here but, even as a big sports fan, I don't really care much about the Women's World Cup. As a patriot and football fan, I'd like England to do well and will follow their progress, may even watch the final if they get there.

But... the rest of it?

Is there really enough viewer interest for BBC1 to give over their prime time Friday night schedule to France v South Korea. What viewing figures can they expect? Is it the bosses feeling they should be even handed and cover it like the men's? Are they scared not to in a 'PC gone mad' world? I know the Women's game is coming on strong (a long way from the days of "Monkey Tennis" slurs) and good luck to them but, come on, it isn't that popular yet - or is it?

Genuinely interested as I imagine many folk will be cursing Eastenders etc being moved for this. Would love to be wrong but...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by forestfan »

Well, the BBC are clearly keen to push it, as they have been for years... and I guess that’s the only way the viewing figures will grow, even if some will resent it.

I’ll probably just watch the England games, for the time being... feeling a bit of football fatigue in any case after a long season, which extends to men’s internationals as well. But if youngsters, male and female alike, are drawn in, that can only be a good thing. In a generation’s time the gap may have closed dramatically.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Just bought tickets for England v Germany at Wembley in November. Tickets are cheap (especially for children at £1 a go, adults for a tenner) so decided to give it a go. Have the current game on in the background but more interested in England and Scotland as there a couple of Reading players in the two squads. Think the BBC are trying very hard to get the profile of the game up. The BBC documentary at the weekend was quite interesting. Will it catch on - who knows?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

But why is it the BBC's "job" to promote Women's football?

Not necessarily just from the sexual equality angle but why football? Why not Women's cricket or archery or tiddliwinks? Or men's low profile sports?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 21:50 But why is it the BBC's "job" to promote Women's football?

Not necessarily just from the sexual equality angle but why football? Why not Women's cricket or archery or tiddliwinks? Or men's low profile sports?
Well, they used to promote men’s low profile sports for many years, it was called Grandstand and I’m all for bringing it back. Just for the theme tune, if nothing else...

Sky do their bit for women’s cricket, and archery (for men or women) will probably be on BBC Olympic Channel 475 every four years. Why football, well it’s the world’s most popular sport. It’s the BBC’s choice what to show, if we don’t want to watch it there’s an infinite choice of alternatives (as opposed to three channels, when most of us were born... maybe even just two, for some of you real oldies?) ;)

robot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Winner tff world 2018 knockout 2nd TFF Euro 2012 Group Stage,tff weekly winner 13/14wk25, 14/15wk7&19,16/17wk2,,Winner tff champions league two foot challenge, winner sun Elite league 15/16,winner tff 17/18 chairmen league, week32 weekender joint 1st.

Post by robot »

I'm involved in youth football at a club that was boys/ mixed only until 4 years ago, we now have 3 ages with girls only teams, and locally it is growing at a huge rate, so there will be a lot of people out there watching tonight that may not of been a few years back.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Great that girls (and boys) are playing footie (or any sport in this day and age but that is another thread) - but are they watching women playing it??

I await the viewing figures. If France v S.Korea got better figures than the cancelled Eastenders and HIGNFY etc usually get then I will understand.

As to it being the BBC's "choice" what to show, there is the small matter of their agreed duties to us the licence fee payers.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 23:23 I await the viewing figures. If France v S.Korea got better figures than the cancelled Eastenders and HIGNFY etc usually get then I will understand.

As to it being the BBC's "choice" what to show, there is the small matter of their agreed duties to us the licence fee payers.
We (FISOers, presumably mostly middle-aged white men) are probably not the main target audience. If we get drawn in it’s a bonus.

I haven’t watched EastEnders for about 20 years and am still waiting for Angus Deayton to be reinstated having served his time :wink:

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

As well as all the above points, the BBC has little live sport to show, so I’m not surprised they are grabbing the chance to show many live matches.

If you’re not used to watching it, please try and resist comparing it to the men’s game!

30 odd years ago, I managed Reading Royals for a season (this was before teams became affiliated to professional clubs). It was difficult to find more than a dozen players, there was no sponsorship and away matches were reached in a convoy of cars. The state of the game now would have been unimaginable back then.

Unfortunately, VAR is wrecking the TV games so I probably won’t watch many :-(

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

And how much is their “prime” Friday slot really worth?

Can’t remember the last thing I watched.

Showing football is a great (cheap) filler for them.
Is it PC gone mad or is it just equality?
I watched a couple of ten minute periods... I was fairly indifferent about it. Largely because of my lack of emotional attachment rather than lack of quality. It was no worse an experience than watching Rochdale v Plymouth would have been or some of the FA Cup games the BBC subjected us to.

It is gaining in popularity and the the only way it will increase is through greater exposure.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

bspittles wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 08:05 Unfortunately, VAR is wrecking the TV games so I probably won’t watch many :-(
Is that the VAR intervention of this ladies World Cup?

Haven’t even been aware of VAR during Liverpool’s Champions League games this season (if you compare and contrast to the game against West Brom in the cup the season before of the World Cup in 2018).

Hopefully it gets slicker. Last night was the opening game wasn’t it?

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Zimmerman wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 09:15
bspittles wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 08:05 Unfortunately, VAR is wrecking the TV games so I probably won’t watch many :-(
Is that the VAR intervention of this ladies World Cup?

Haven’t even been aware of VAR during Liverpool’s Champions League games this season (if you compare and contrast to the game against West Brom in the cup the season before of the World Cup in 2018).

Hopefully it gets slicker. Last night was the opening game wasn’t it?
It just breaks the game completely for me. Why not just accept that the officials will sometimes make mistakes, in the same way that English defenders do?

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 23:30
murf wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 23:23 I await the viewing figures. If France v S.Korea got better figures than the cancelled Eastenders and HIGNFY etc usually get then I will understand.

We (FISOers, presumably mostly middle-aged white men) are probably not the main target audience. If we get drawn in it’s a bonus.

I haven’t watched EastEnders for about 20 years and am still waiting for Angus Deayton to be reinstated having served his time :wink:
I fall into your category but disagree, it's good to see. I'll try and watch all the England games, as I do with any sport. The fact that we don't have to endure some 400K pw idiot rolling about on the floor every five minutes is an absolute plus point.

PS Angus Deayton is now Victor Meldrew's neighbour - you must keep up with the times :wink:

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Just realised that there's no Nobbs in the England Women's team this time around...

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Nobbs)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

morganb wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 18:51 Just realised that there's no Nobbs in the England Women's team this time around...

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Nobbs)
Yeah, they’re Nobbless :wink: Injured I think, heard her on the radio somewhere...

England followed the example of their male counterparts, got ahead, sat back and it almost cost them. Three points, anyway... potentially enough to get through already in this format.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I wonder how that compares to the number who watched the men play Holland or Switzerland?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Or even the CL final which was about 2-3m

God bless terrestrial TV.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

bspittles wrote:I wonder how that compares to the number who watched the men play Holland or Switzerland?
1.2m watched the dead rubber/3rd place game on Sky. No idea why! I'd have watched the women's game if choosing between those 2.

6m is fairly impressive. Wonder what the percentage share was either side of Hadrian's Wall?

Still wondering what the figure was for France v S.Korea on Friday night.

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

They are doing a real world Panini sticker album - http://collectibles.panini.co.uk/editor ... ction.html - but not a virtual one

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

morganb wrote:They are doing a real world Panini sticker album - http://collectibles.panini.co.uk/editor ... ction.html - but not a virtual one
Wow. That is a sign you have cracked it.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

13-0 :shock: Looks like the depth of quality isn’t quite there to justify a 24-team event yet. :?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:13-0 :shock: Looks like the depth of quality isn’t quite there to justify a 24-team event yet. :?
The Thai keeper was only 5'5"

Good job it is only 24 teams. The quality gets even worse. Thailand beat Cambodia 11-0 last year just after Cambodia had beaten East Timor 12-0.

How bad are East Timor? Well, put it this way, they just asked FIFA if they can play the Scotland Men's team so they can have a chance of a win.

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

England's next match is tonight at 8pm

Scotland suffered another defeat earlier today

Some dodgy decisions in spite of / because of VAR (penalty in the France game, offside goal for Australia)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

This looks like being one of those frustrating nights. Missed penalty, all the possession to England, Argentina have committed more fouls than they have completed passes (probably). All set up for a 1-0 Argentina win then?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:This looks like being one of those frustrating nights. Missed penalty, all the possession to England, Argentina have committed more fouls than they have completed passes (probably). All set up for a 1-0 Argentina win then?
All set up? You mean tailor-made for a 1-0 to Argentina?

Nah...

England 1-0 Taylor (Mead)

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

Good to see Nobbs in the punditry team (and I don't mean Dion Dublin)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

morganb wrote:Good to see Nobbs in the punditry team (and I don't mean Dion Dublin)
Nobbs in the box?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Scotland matching anything their men have done in the past, with regards to contriving to not get out of the group stage of a World Cup...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Actually watched a few minutes of England game. Main observation was that the vast majority (10 of 11?) of our players were white. Slightly surprising - thought the game appeal would be more diverse, even go so far as to say it would be more popular in city schools where more diverse than countryside.

Is the team a statistical anomaly or is it a wider trend?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”