To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

18/19 Self Reflection

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

18/19 Self Reflection

Post by MPTree »

How did your season go? What were your biggest blunders? What are you proudest of? Is there anything you've learned from this season that you'll take into next season?

bspittles
Dumbledore

Re: 18/19 Self Reflection

Post by bspittles »

Won my works league for the first time.

Bought in Doucouré when I should have been matching my closest rival.

Getting rid of Salah at the right time.

Quit while you're ahead!!!

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

Frustrating season, especially dropping 40k places in the last couple of gameweeks. I didn't really ever get any momentum.

Main lessons learned:
1. Captaining a striker is very 2016. I did so in 23 gameweeks to varying success. Only in 6 gameweeks was a striker the top points scorer and 3 of them were surprises. 4-5-1 might be the way to go next season.
2. Forgetting (like the year Leicester won) that if the title challengers don't have a DGW, still keep them in your team.
3. Hazard is a troll who only scores well when he isn't in my team.
4. Lacazette is a troll who only scores well when he isn't in my team.
5. Aubameyang is a troll who only scores well when he isn't in my team.

Successes:
Picking Tielemans when his ownership was 0.1%
Getting GW1 largely correct.
Coming back from a dodgy October.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

re Fwds: I'm expecting Salah et al to join them next season. It is daft that him, Mane, Sterling et al are Mids and may change.

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

Season went ok. Top 2,000 finish but could and should have been better. After getting to a top 500 position I started making "safe" decisions instead of following my instinct. Lesson learnt.

87AK
Kevin and Perry

Post by 87AK »

Overall finished 12,150. A marked improvement on my previous years, although was hoping I could have cracked the 10k mark. First win of my works mini-league by a small margin after being 2nd going into the final two weeks.

Positives were including Moura in my initial team, getting on Rashford for Oli's early run at Man Utd and captaining Mane in some high scoring gameweeks.

Negatives were I could have finished stronger losing 5k places over GW35/36.

(edit grammar)

Adelante
Treebeard

Post by Adelante »

Best FPL finish ever - OR 1,322 and 35th in Scotland.

Won all my mini leagues with the exception of the FISO league of course! :)

Won my cash league including a couple of manager of the months earning me just over £400.

Proudest moment - either scoring 110 in GW16 (incidentally with my two strikers scoring one point each) to put me up to an OR of 873 or my GW 36 score of 139.

Lessons learned - use hits more wisely. Comparing hits across the season vs impact on overall rank I broke even. There was defo more than a few wasted hits.

Biggest Blunder - GW 19 Digne on the bench and missing out on a 17 point haul. Also getting in Jesse eff’ Lingard in GW 19 bandwagon jumping and hoping he’d eventually come good. Held on far too long before binning GW 27 and getting in Pogba (having missed out on his hauls from GW18 onwards). Pogba proceeded to stink the place out for the next few weeks.

Overall a great season that I thoroughly enjoyed for obvious reasons. Great recovery from a poor season last year.

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

Biggest regret was getting Mitrovic instead of Jimenez when he started his scoring streak

Not finishing in top 10 in my paid league when i was 40 points away in GW30

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

My main mistake was trying to be clever and TC Sane instead of goal machine Aguero in the DGW. It killed me in my league as from then on I was chasing every week until the end. Also I was so patient with Salah but removed him before he smashed Bournemouth and went on his run

Vincent Black Shadow
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Vincent Black Shadow »

I think I should be happy.

My goal was to finish in the top 10k, and I finished at 8.3k, I won all of my mini leagues (with the exception of FISO and reddit FPL, which were both quite hard and if I won either, probably would have been in the top 10 in the world)
very happy I managed to keep hits (and transfers) to a minimum. I was very hit happy in my early seasons in FPL, I think I took one or two last season.

However I am disappointed by a few things.

1. I spent most of the season inside the top 10k, quite high for most of it - and was in the top 2k, and even 1k, for a while
2. Given the above, I would liked to have finished higher, but made some crucial mistakes and had some bad luck at the wrong time - structuring my DGW around Brighton at the last minute was a particular low point for me, it had an undesirable knock on effect for the rest of the season
3. Wish I could have won my national league, ended up finishing 6th, I was first at some point...

On to next year!

Bixer
FISOhead

Post by Bixer »

Finished 28k in the end.

On paper that looks disappointing compared to finishing 2k last season, but really considering how many people play the game now I think that's a pretty good result. Within the top 0.5% of players, can't really complain. Also quite nice that that was actually my highest rank at any point in the season, so it's always nice to make that push at just the right time and end on a high.

Don't think I've learnt too much this season in terms of obvious things to change. Things like going for Martial instead of Pogba after that Cardiff game and being too stubborn to ever switch it round hurt me, but then things like bringing in Jimenez in GW4 massively helped, so it's often all swings and roundabouts.

That said, I have now learnt to never captain a defender, no matter how good their DGW looks, though I'm sure I'm not alone in that revelation :lol:.

I'm also toying with the idea of 'wasting' my Bench Boost in GW1 next season. I think it can cause too much tunnel vision towards the end of the season and in hindsight that ended up hindering me - I'm pretty confident I'd have done better had I just ignored it outright rather than planning an entire Wildcard around it. I guess a lot of that depends on defender prices next season though as I guess we were pretty blessed this year with the likes of Wan-Bissaka and Bennett.

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

Best season yet for me with a 4k finish. I owe a large part of that to getting Jiminez and Doherty at base price, then sticking with them for the entire season. Identifying the true long-term value picks, getting on them early, and accommodating them through the rough patches can really help shape a season, IMO.

The same is true with premiums, of course. We can't predict the hauls (no matter how hard we try) but we can be patient with world class goal scorers.

I think I made a couple of benching errors, fell the wrong side of a close captaincy decision, and nearly brought Salah back (but didn't) for his GW36 haul. This was both my best ever OR rank and also the least amount of time I have dedicated to FPL over the course of a season. It's more correlation than causation, no doubt, but I think I've learned to manage a little bit more 'simply' as a result.

theplayer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 3rd overall FPL 2010/11

Post by theplayer »

Finished 952 in the end so happy with the top 1k finish.

Played the game for several years now and the same mistakes always happen. But maybe one thing I've learned is to play the form player despite the fixture. Benched Jimenez 2 weeks in a row v's Spurs at home and Arsenal away for Josh Murphy of all people. Think Murphy scored a paltry 3 or 4 points in 2 home games to Jimenez' 17 or 18 I think it was. Sounds ridiculous now but at the time Murphy wasn't doing too bad and no one really expected Jimenez to go on the run that he ended up on but at the end of the day he's the striker in an attacking team. I should've known better.

My low for the season was definitely the Sane 1 point DGW where I captained him and never had Sterling or Aguero. At least I never triple captained him though like some people.

High points being Sterling (c) for his hat-trick, Salah triple (c) home to Huddersfield and sticking with Alexander Arnold for a long time paying off.

I'm fairly happy with my use of the chips aswell. Saving the free hit for the DGW in between the blank GW's really helped and I was able to get pretty much all the DGW players I would've wanted that GW.

One thing which has never changed is some decision making going wrong. Why is that more often than not, a player you take out scores highly or you pick the wrong player to transfer in. Prime example being GW37 where i decided to take a 4 point hit to move on Ake for Shaw. Setting myself up for GW37 and 38. I was well ahead in my mini league so a 4 point hit wasn't a big deal. I also thought about getting Digne instead but lumped for Shaw based on fixtures. Ake Score + CS, Digne scores + CS, Shaw concedes and is then injured. :lol:

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

A final finish of 42,472. Whilst behind many managers on FISO, this represents my best ever rank so I am reasonably satisfied with my performance this season. I also got to my highest rank post gameweek 38 so in terms of timing my charge this couldn't have been better! Thanks to all on FISO who have directly or indirectly assisted me this season, I've no doubt that the discussion and posts on here have helped.

Biggest Blunders - I can see 4 obvious errors which resulted in a large points and rank swing against me:

1) Starting the season with Aubemayang over Aguero. No problem GW1 but GW2 set me back a long way as he was highly captained for his 20 points. Aubameyang in GW1-GW3 only scored me 6 points in total.
2) Failing to recognise quickly enough the transformative effect OGS initially had at United. I actually had a very strong festive period but if I had got on Pogba and Rashford quicker then it would have been absolutely stellar.
3) Breaking my flexible 3-4-3/3-5-2 structure to a rigid 3-5-2 to accomadate Rashford in GW23. This took a minus 8 and contrary to my hope that reducing money on the bench would lead to a greater performance from my first 11, it actually cost me points through a loss of flexability and reduced ability to rotate players with my bench players according to fixture difficulty. It didn't help that Rashford pretty much dried up his scoring after I did this, and Fraser also went on a poor run at this point too.
4) Not capatilising on the City DGW25. This one hurts the most. Following City's poor festive form, and looking at their fixture run from GW21 - GW27, I made the decision at GW21 to go without any City assets. It wasn't going brilliantly, as I dropped from 47k to 77k GW20 to GW24, although this was more due to not owning United than not owning City assets. Then the DGW got announced. This was frustrating as I owned Hazard at the time and was expecting him to get a DGW25 of HUD, BRI, but unfortunately Brighton didn't manage to beat West Brom at the first time of asking so required a replay, scuppering the Chelsea DGW chance. Then even more annoyingly Everton conceded in the 3rd minute of added time to go out the FA cup and not need a replay, enabling the City DGW. So most people were going into the DGW with at least 1 city asset and could add to it, whereas i was starting with none. So not the best starting point. However there was a route to success, just simply change Aubemeyang to Aguero. Unfortunately I made an error of judgement and instead swapped Hazard to Sane and captained Sane. Result was 40 points and a drop to 169k. Took me the rest of the season to get back to where I was GW19.

Most proud of:

1) My pre season research and preperation. I read a lot of good stuff online, both in terms of players to identify for my GW1 squad but also theory posts on the game which I tried to apply to the season. Overall I think I applied them well. Following the pre season reports on FFS was invaluable too in terms of identifying starters, particularly Wan Bissaka.
2) A successful first wildcard which bought 5 green arrows in 7 and a rank improvement from 237k to 57k. This was mostly founded on good interpretation of xG and xA stats - i.e. bringing in Sterling, Doherty and Wilson and eskewing an expensive frontline.
3) Bringing in Son gameweek 16 for his superb run of form over xmas.
4) My chip strategy and the way I played the end of the season (FH32, WC34, BB35, TC36). After GW29 I sat at 229k. There were some good captaincy picks in this stretch and successful squads selected on FH and WC.

Lessons learned:

1) Be thorough in my pre season research
2) Utilising stats from understat and https://public.tableau.com/profile/timb ... ublish=yes has been very useful for identifying players coming into form (and going out of form) ahead of the masses, on average. As the season went on the points prediction tool at FPLreview.com became a bigger and bigger tool in my arsenal, although judgement of course is always the overriding factor.
3) The conventional chip strategy seems, for me, to work well. The last 3 seasons have bought me significant improvement towards the season end. Minimising the number of large changes you need to make to your squad by using the chips appropiately appears to me to make life a lot easier.
4) I got a lot of success from running with a flexible squad. I quite enjoyed having a rotatable F3 and M5 and rotating according to fixture. I know Ruth NZ on here has in the past talked about rotating defenders as they're more predictable and not agreeing with rotating cheap attackers but it worked well enough for me and didn't cost me too much money on my bench to do so. Theres a bit more secirity too when first 11 players are injured or benched and youre happy for them to come off your bench to play for you :)
5) Judging when to side with the crowd and when to go against them. I got this right recently when backing against captaining City assets. I knew most of the crowd were going with them but from the stats they were creating fewer and fewer chances each week and were facing fairly stubborn opponents in Brighton and Leicester. So I went with Hazard agaisnt a very leaky watford and Mane v a wolves side who were actually conceding more big chances than brighton were going into that game instead, which worked really well for me. However, my decisions to back against City assets when they played Huddersfield at home in favour of Aubameyang at Stamford bridge was catastrophic, and looking back, totally against the odds of probability.
6) Related to point 5 really, but choosing captains based on the whipping boy status (i.e. big chances conceded) of their opponents on the whole worked out very well, particularly when I undertook this approach more as the season went on. I'm hoping to conduct a brief study into the statistical success of this over the next week or so.
7) Take the quick easy fix to a problem when it presents itself. When going into a City DGW owning Aubameyang away to said City, just take the plug and play option and swap him for Aguero. Rather than giving up Hazard who had an amazing fixture home to huddersfield. This comes down really to simply looking at the expected points of these 4 individuals (point 2)
8) React quickly to a change in circumstance. I actually learned this one within the season. I didn't react quickly enough to OGS coming into united. So when Rogers turned up at Leicester, I was on Vardy like a shot. That worked out beautifully and even gave me a successful captain option when he played Huddersfield.

That ended up a lot longer post than i envisaged. Really useful to think about it and get it down on paper though!

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

172k in my first season of FPL. Given I halved my rank in the final 3 weeks I have to be happy I guess.

High Points

Picking Jimenez, Aguero, VVD, Salah, Mane, Milivojevic, Richarlison from the start (and Boly and AWB as cheap defenders).
Beating Mrs R (although she started in GW2 and almost caught me).
Getting back into Fiso after a multi-year absence :)

Low Points

Getting Salah v Sterling switches wrong.
Taking out VVD early on due to an injury rumour and then not putting him back.
Taking out Jimenez on a WC.
Spotting learning points at around GW36...
Having a starting squad that would have beaten me if I had done absolutely nothing to it and used no chips...
3 x 5m ranking finishes in a 3 week period mid season (not helped by being overseas with very limited web access … well that's my excuse)

Learning Points

Keep core players and never let go.
Captain Salah against any bottom 10 team, without fail.
Don't captain Salah against anybody else.
Only 1xGK is needed, and picking from 2 is a lottery (for me at least).
Premium defenders are very good value (for now at least).
Just because you have a WC, no need to replace the entire 15 man squad.
Don't go crazy over DGW (and never pick a Brighton player again)

I need a FISO summer school to help my education it seems...

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

Ended at 114k, frankly a poor season given the only other year I paid this much attention I finished at 1.7k but I have been a casual for a few years and this represents a marked improvement on the last three years. Enough to win my mini leagues but the feeling is that I left a lot of points out there.

Lessons learned

- Do not panic if GW1 doesn't go perfectly. I bottled Doherty and transferred him out after his poor first two weeks when all my pre season research suggested both him and Wolves were a good choice.
- Don't try to beat the crowd on confirmed value. Just because I was a couple of weeks late on Jiminez, I ended up not bringing him in until GW25, instead fiddling with the likes of Mitro hoping it would swing
- When I make a plan, check the GW deadlines!!! Twice missed my TC chip, first on Aguero in the DGW then on Salah in GW36 because I drifted. Whilst the first would actually have been beneficial had I remembered to Friday kick off for Liverpool it is still very poor from me

All that said however, this was my 1st season on Fiso and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone for their advice and for all those who contribute to the side games which kept the interest burning long after my mini leagues were sewn up

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

OR 32,697
Highest rank was 7,155 after GW24. Had a stinking run GW29-32 and dropped to 109,057 so did well to recover .

Had lots of bad luck but a season littered with mistakes . Kept Mitrovic over Jimenez for way too long . Brought some right dross in at various points, Begovic, H Barnes, lascelles.

Had the right players at the wrong time . Son averaged 2.2 for me over 9 games , Auba 2.7 over 3 games. Got scared off certain players for rotation which never materialised .

Just need to take more care over transfers . Had a solid core to the team for most of the season just never got it completely right .

matmutte
FISOhead

Post by matmutte »

Poor, poor, piss poor.
Finished on something like 1,7M rank, same as last year. Difference being that last year i quit around GW20 and did not even play my chips. This year i forced myself until the end, played all 4 chips in a somehow rationale manner, and ended up being equally crap.
That will do in term of analysis.

sdhough
Treebeard

Post by sdhough »

Overall ended up 2790 and just short of my best 2736 from last year so decent season overall. Finished top of main cash league and also 3rd in Jeff's £20 league. Also had some good finishes in various other FISO side competitions.

Main regret is that I'd set myself up to get into the top 2K but my last few transfers were poor, Lloris, JWP, Jota, Lacazette and Pogba didn't work out.

Lessons for next time:

In previous years I've stuck fairly rigidly to 343 or 352 with 2 rotating cheap GK and lower value DF and targetting high value MF/FW. Pretty sure, I'll stick to one decent GK and play 4 higher value DF next season. I'm sure defenders will see a general increase next time though.

I sold players without considering their overall ownership at the time, like Robertson and Jimenez due to minor injuries/harder fixtures. Trying to be too clever and ahead of a trend that never came.

garypallister
FISOhead

Post by garypallister »

Top 7000. This is OK by my standards, but I am always disappointed not to reach the top 1000

Blunders : 1.Ended up using my Free Hit waaay to early in the season to cover up bad planning. 2. Misclicked and got Richarlison instead of Fraser at a crucial point in the season, punished for many weeks. 3. Keeping Richarlison for too long. 4. Got Pogba in GW38 despite KNOWING how horrible they are now. 5. I never figured out the Salah / Mane thing. 6. I had horrible keepers all season long. I don't remember much else

Pride : None

What did I learn : 1. I need to watch more football. I need to analyze and understand and learn to calculate how team form works (how a mid table team suddenly has a month of WWWWW and then suddenly are shite again) I need to be able to predict this.
2. Playing with good coverage and low risk is a good thing, it will get me to the top 1000

Other things: I am really tired of the chips. I wish the game had harder penalties for transfers, and only one wildcard available. All these chips just force us into the same template

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Only played 1 season but agree re chips.

I like them but only one WC ... and I wonder if it should only be allowed in a window (week 12 to 24 sort of thing)?

Valeron
FISOhead

Post by Valeron »

Made a huge mistake in the final GW that cost me 30 points. Really fancied that United v Cardiff wouldn't end goalless, I brought Pogba in and captained him when I should've brought in and captained Mendez Laing who scored 15 points more. Lesson learned and I won't make a mistake like that again.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Has anyone been put off MU for next season?

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Post by Stevieste »

blahblah wrote: 18 May 2019, 12:50 Has anyone been put off MU for next season?
Nothing to be put off about, they will have plenty of new players and there current half decent players like Pogba and Rashford will be cheap as chips like the newly promoted players, so after a full Pre season under olly they all be good to go :shock: :roll:

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Stevieste wrote: 18 May 2019, 17:56 there current half decent players like Pogba and Rashford will be cheap as chips
Real Madrid's Paul Pogba, you mean? He might be cheap as chips in Fantasy La Liga. :wink:

Stevieste
Dumbledore

Post by Stevieste »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 18 May 2019, 18:14
Stevieste wrote: 18 May 2019, 17:56 there current half decent players like Pogba and Rashford will be cheap as chips
Real Madrid's Paul Pogba, you mean? He might be cheap as chips in Fantasy La Liga. :wink:
I really hope he goes personally, but i can see us being stuck with him for another season

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Stevieste wrote: 18 May 2019, 18:17 I really hope he goes personally, but i can see us being stuck with him for another season
He seems pretty intent on forcing a move. I doubt Solskjær will want a player with that kind of attitude in the squad.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 18 May 2019, 18:20
Stevieste wrote: 18 May 2019, 18:17 I really hope he goes personally, but i can see us being stuck with him for another season
He seems pretty intent on forcing a move. I doubt Solskjær will want a player with that kind of attitude in the squad.
That seems far too sensible. Maybe he is made Capt and they build around him, well try to...

I was thinking more along the lines of which is the real MU, the good or bad? My gut instinct is to ignore them for the first few GW's at least.

Stevieste
Dumbledore

Post by Stevieste »

blahblah wrote: 18 May 2019, 18:36
Pirlo's Beard wrote: 18 May 2019, 18:20
That seems far too sensible. Maybe he is made Capt and they build around him, well try to...

I was thinking more along the lines of which is the real MU, the good or bad? My gut instinct is to ignore them for the first few GW's at least.
There prices will be so cheap they will force your hand into picking there players and when you start thinking they cant be that bad again this season your in trouble from the get go 🤣

Massive rebuilding from Man Utd now, but i reckon the bargain player next season for them will be Mason Greenwood as he will break into that team next season and will hopefully be about 4.5 million.
30 goals he scored last season in youth team and looks a class act, dare i say better than Rashford 🤔

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'm not sure they will be that cheap, but yes a kid who actually starts might fook up my squad - who else had the Chelsea bod who lit up their preseason :?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”