To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pub Talk & Matchday Banter 2018-19

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pub Talk & Matchday Banter 2018-19

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

I fail to see how Brighton sacking a manager who had them sleepwalking towards relegation is a bad thing.

Hughton did a fine job up to a certain point but he's a limited enough manager at this level, as his previous relegation with Norwich has shown, and as this season was alarmingly proving for Brighton. I stand by what I said after their pair of pitiful home capitulations against Bournemouth and Cardiff last month:
Pirlo's Beard wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 17:56 Brighton are laughably shit. Nailed on to finish bottom next season if they don't replace Hughton in the summer.
Of course now we'll never know for sure, but I think they've given themselves a fighting chance of progression if they get the next appointment right, as opposed to the regression they were showing under Hughton.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 15 May 2019, 22:50 I fail to see how Brighton sacking a manager who had them sleepwalking towards relegation is a bad thing.

Hughton did a fine job up to a certain point but he's a limited enough manager at this level, as his previous relegation with Norwich has shown, and as this season was alarmingly proving for Brighton. I stand by what I said after their pair of pitiful home capitulations against Bournemouth and Cardiff last month:
Pirlo's Beard wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 17:56 Brighton are laughably shit. Nailed on to finish bottom next season if they don't replace Hughton in the summer.
Of course now we'll never know for sure, but I think they've given themselves a fighting chance of progression if they get the next appointment right, as opposed to the regression they were showing under Hughton.
They finished just four points below Burnley. So are Burnley laughably shit as well?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Finisher1 wrote: 16 May 2019, 08:10
Pirlo's Beard wrote: 15 May 2019, 22:50 I fail to see how Brighton sacking a manager who had them sleepwalking towards relegation is a bad thing.

They finished just four points below Burnley. So are Burnley laughably shit as well?
You're comparing apples with pears. Hughton was given ample funds and didn't integrate many of the new additions.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Burnley had the EL and return to norm "hit" which must have had more than just me predicting relegation - which I amended slightly after failing to qualify. Having blind faith in Hart was predictably not the brightest of ideas....

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Tacalabala wrote: 16 May 2019, 08:26 You're comparing apples with pears. Hughton was given ample funds and didn't integrate many of the new additions.
They had a slightly better squad yes, but calling Brighton as "laughably shit" is a laughable exaggeration in my opinion. It was a bit disappointing season for them, that's for sure, it happens in football.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Of course not, Burnley are "dogshit". Valeron's brilliant super secret xG model said so. It also said they were definitely getting relegated so maybe it's not so brilliant after all.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Tall Paul wrote: 16 May 2019, 08:55 Of course not, Burnley are "dogshit". Valeron's brilliant super secret xG model said so. It also said they were definitely getting relegated so maybe it's not so brilliant after all.
You keep saying this, but now that I had time to actually look for it, I couldn't find such post. So are you spreading Fake News or did I just miss that post?

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Finisher1 wrote: 16 May 2019, 09:06
Tall Paul wrote: 16 May 2019, 08:55 Of course not, Burnley are "dogshit". Valeron's brilliant super secret xG model said so. It also said they were definitely getting relegated so maybe it's not so brilliant after all.
You keep saying this, but now that I had time to actually look for it, I couldn't find such post. So are you spreading Fake News or did I just miss that post?
You can't have looked very hard. Just search this forum for "dogshit", you even quoted one of his posts.

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

I am a bit biased as I like the way Burnley conduct business.
I think they have had a good couple of seasons and are now establishing themselves in the prem for the long term.
As Blah posted above they have had the EL to contend with this season and that potentially lost them 6 points imo. Mid table next season and seventh place possible.
Chelsea have been my team since the 60's but I think they could drop below Burnley this coming season whilst they face the transfer ban and re build.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Your 6 points is interesting. If compared to the one before thrn I think it is very low; but if to some notional idea of a Club's level then yes, despite the fluidity of defining that level; or +6 for next season?

For the first I'm in the 15-20 ballpark is Leicester and Ipswich many seasons ago, and the 3rd 10ish.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Oxford NZ wrote: 16 May 2019, 09:20 I am a bit biased as I like the way Burnley conduct business.
I think they have had a good couple of seasons and are now establishing themselves in the prem for the long term.
As Blah posted above they have had the EL to contend with this season and that potentially lost them 6 points imo. Mid table next season and seventh place possible.
Chelsea have been my team since the 60's but I think they could drop below Burnley this coming season whilst they face the transfer ban and re build.
I hope you're right but I suspect our level is around the 35-45 point mark, which means we'll usually be in a relegation battle. 17/18 was a bit of a freak season and we can't realistically expect a repeat of that.

It's looking like the top six is becoming more and more of a closed shop, then we've got Wolves, Everton and Leicester with their wealthy, ambitious owners who are prepared to spend in attempts to break into that top six. You'll get two or three teams hopelessly out of their depth, usually those promoted from the Championship. Which leaves eight or nine to fill midtable who are all fairly evenly matched and where they finish is pretty much down to variance

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

45+ is a realistic tally for Burnley, but that is just my opinion. I watch more Burnley games and highlights than any other club due to availability in New Zealand and Chris Wood playing for them. The availability thing is also due to Chris as I have friends that can afford to pay for Burnley matches on the internet just to watch him play.

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

Tall Paul wrote: 16 May 2019, 09:43
It's looking like the top six is becoming more and more of a closed shop, then we've got Wolves, Everton and Leicester with their wealthy, ambitious owners who are prepared to spend in attempts to break into that top six. You'll get two or three teams hopelessly out of their depth, usually those promoted from the Championship. Which leaves eight or nine to fill midtable who are all fairly evenly matched and where they finish is pretty much down to variance
Have to disagree with the first sentence here, if anyone in the premier league is "laughably shit", its Manchester United! I honestly think a Chelsea 2015-2016 season is on the cards for them next season, even something like 9th place might be beyond them. I also think Arsenal, particularly if they don't win the Europa League and gain CL qualification, could have a poor season next year which drops them away from the top 4 and further into the clutches of the mid table upstarts like Leicester, Wolves etc. I mean this season in attack they were outshot by City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester, Manchester United, Everton, almost relegated Southampton, Crystal Palace, and Wolves. And thats the strong part of their team, I haven't even considered their abysmal defence yet! I don't think Spurs are very vulnerable unless Poch leaves, but Chelsea are an interesting case as they're utterly reliant on Hazard in attack, who looks poised to leave, and if they have a transfer ban then I see a big period of readjustment as they have to integrate youth players into a system Sarri has struggled to get across....there's big questions here.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yep, I totally agree. However, I do have a nagging doubt\question though: we have the 4 Euro Finalists, and Citeh aren't one of them. Is that a fluke, or is the Prem hideously strong and the questioning of the top lot bar Lpool and Citeh deserved?

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

City player prices will be very interesting if they get banned from European football next season

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I think we should strip them of their league title ;)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Or ban them next year?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Well, both.

Strip them and ban them.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Strip them? :?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Wasn’t the angle I was thinking of but...
“SHAME”

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Brighton went 7 league games without scoring, losing them all. It doesn’t get much worse than that.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote: 16 May 2019, 16:54 Wasn’t the angle I was thinking of but...
“SHAME”
They'd lose a whack in kit sales from having to play naked....

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Tall Paul wrote: 16 May 2019, 09:19Just search this forum for "dogshit"
search.php?keywords=dogshit&fid%5B0%5D=18
Search wrote:Search found 58 matches: dogshit

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Zimmerman wrote: 16 May 2019, 15:17 I think we should strip them of their league title ;)
They should be stripped of their title and it should be returned to the last holders. :wink:

I'm with PB here. Brighton spent £75 million last summer, and can reasonably expect to have a manager who is suited to the job. Hughton will do a good job for someone on a promotion run next year, but he's not the man for Brighton.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Ignoring the Top 6 (who I didn’t look at) Brighton have the second highest net spend over the last three years :shock:

EDIT: and with Top 6 too

League finish (and net spend for last 3 years) & spending rank
City (£371m) 1
Liverpool (£93m) 7
Chelsea (£275m) 2
Spurs (£53m) 15
Arsenal (£142m) 4
United (£268m) 3
Wolves (£91m) 8
Everton (£137m) 5
Leicester (£67m) 14
WHU (£82m) 9
Watford (£42m) 18
Palace (£80m) 10
Newcastle (£1m) 19
Bournemouth (£79m) 11
Burnley (£48m) 16
Southampton (-£25m) 20
Brighton (£127m) 6
Cardiff (£46m) 17
Fulham (£74m) 12
Huddersfield (£74m) 12

Lots of factors including big sales and relative starting points etc. and no consideration to wages etc.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

League finish (spend for last 3 years) & spending rank
City (£520) 2
Liverpool (£384) 3
Chelsea (£546) 1
Spurs (£182) 9
Arsenal (£275) 6
United (£345) 4
Wolves (£110) 17
Everton (£326) 5
Leicester (£250) 7
WHU (£189) 8
Watford (£127) 14
Palace (£130) 13
Newcastle (£133) 12
Bournemouth (£118) 15
Burnley (£105) 18
Southampton (£152) 10
Brighton (£137) 11
Cardiff (£54) 20
Fulham (£116) 16
Huddersfield (£91) 19

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Post by Stevieste »

Pope signs a new long term contract with Burnley, he be a set and forget for me next season if can get that number 1 spot back.

Quality keeper who would be priced between 4.0-4.5 million id suspect

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Having missed a full season... and the fact the competition is Heaton; that’s a big if.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote: 25 May 2019, 07:46 Having missed a full season... and the fact the competition is Heaton; that’s a big if.
And Hart :wink:

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Stevieste wrote: 24 May 2019, 20:48 Pope signs a new long term contract with Burnley, he be a set and forget for me next season if can get that number 1 spot back.

Quality keeper who would be priced between 4.0-4.5 million id suspect
I think sadly he will be priced at the level up from the 4.5 crew. Too much proven history with Burnley keepers.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”