To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

Post by forestfan »

Nottingham, twinned with Northern Ireland. They both have a County Down :wink:

Another interesting stat resulting from today - Preston are now the only club to have been in the Football League (excluding Premier League) continuously since its formation.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

so it is Rams attempting to overcome Leeds all over again tomorrow. Shades of the 70's featuring Revie and Clough. What do you think JC ?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Or Spygate the sequel...

I think a Villa-Derby final is pretty much nailed on... Leeds need to find something again but wouldn’t surprise me if they just subsided in the first leg. I think that Wigan match was the killer blow and since then they’ve just been on the ropes waiting to be finished off. Still, as we’ve seen this week, you need at least 4-0 in the bank to be comfortable!

Then there’s West Brom, seemingly with less of a strategy than the Labour Party on Brexit... if they lose the first leg, maybe they will sack the caretaker manager and install another one :wink:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 89

Bambi will not be showing today as Lawrence of Adivea will be on the screens again. These gritty play off semi’s will be starting with the first leg of the ties on the weekend the Premier is decided. Most eyes will will be looking there.
After the European football bonanza during the week, I suspect many neutral observers won’t expect the same. What it has done is grip the fascination of the global audience in discovering the secret of the English football systems. Note, it is ruled by two bodies, the League and the Association. Most other countries, just have one. It could be that one keeps the other on their toes in keeping the attention of the public.
Yet again the Football League attendances have increased, this time hitting the heights of the late 50’s. Take note, this is comparing the B, C and D leagues across the board.. All this in the age of wall to wall live football. Quite impressive.
Four big teams are chasing the final place in next seasons Premiership.
If somebody had told me the four would be Villa, Derby, Leeds and WBA, I would have had a large suspicion the top two would have been Stoke and possibly Forest.
It’s been an enjoyable season for me, no matter what happens from here on.
Of the four, Villa look the most probable, yet the other three have shone occasionally throughout the season. By Wednesday, it will be down to two. Take your pick.
I’m hoping for a Leeds WBA final, so that means it will be Villa Derby.
Nervous.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

as a Rams ST holder 85 plus I saw the Rams/Leeds game in August 2018 . The first home game lost 4-1. Did not return but gave son the ticket to use. After the Rotherham match 6-1 he began to be confident they would make the playoffs. Today is the big test and have invested in 1-3 and 3-1. Will view from my local ( I only have BT Sport) almost within viewing of Meadow Lane and the City ground.It is a lovely morning here in Rushcliffe, Ken Clarke territory.
Sad for the Magpies but now Forest are the senior citizens and Forest Fan will keep us up to date next season.

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

It feels so strange cheering Derby on during a game and it's making me feel dirty

Hopefully whoever wins this tie will get smashed by Villa or WBA in the final anyway :P

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 90

It’s always nice to remind Frankie that it’s Vinny that goes to Hollywood, as no doubt, Bridget Jones would testify.
That’s the third match where Frankie has been taught a lesson. There is no point in gloating before a job is done. Derby could still end up getting past Leeds if they win their next game. Football can be cruel sometimes, even if we already know who the best team is. Here’s praying.
In the first half, we could see both teams had 180 minutes in mind. It was cautious. Berardi was playing a Jansson, Ayling was questioning the defence as Tomori was seeing more of the game than Wilson or Lawrence.
Where were my nerves? None. The stats showed it. Both teams had six shots, zero on target.
At the start of the second half, that stat of Roofe's last goal was against Derby ( in January), was still haunting me. It didn’t even change on the 55th minute, as he stroked one home. Harrison assisted.

Ignore those two though. For those of you who catch the thread occasionally, there are two players in this team that have England team potential, in my ‘humble’ opinion. One is Phillips, which some will no doubt have heard of but the other is Jamie Shackleton. What more could inspire the chanting of
‘Jamie Shack, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo.’ ?
Note, Bielsa calls him Shacks and he’s only 19. Of the two, my money would be on Shackleton.
Derby pushed for 15 after the goal but petered out of ideas.
It looks comfortable like that of Barcelona or Ajax yet this is the slimmest of margins.
Please, please, please don’t lazy out.
Even Liam Gallagher wants Leeds back in the top flight, as the Leeds fans paid tribute singing,

‘Cos all of the spies have faded away
Try not to worry , you’ll beat us some day
We beat you at home and we beat you away
Stop crying Frank Lampard’

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

so nffc is feeling a little 'grubby' and forestfans prediction of Rams in the final looks a little shaky. Neither keeper had much to do although Leeds missed a sitter to make it 2 late on and a sharp eyed assistant denied Derby a penalty after Pawson had awarded it. He just managed to avoid a couple of red cards as things warmed up toward the finish. Rams at Wembley is a long shot.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

You might have to wait another year to have a crack at breaking your own record then :wink:

Would be good to have El Cloughico on the fixture list for the 12th straight season... I know we’re the longest serving two teams in the Championship now, possibly even for all divisions other than the PL?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Last edited by jimmy ching on 13 May 2019, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 91.

This could be my penultimate report and here’s hoping it won’t be.
A lot of people have already written Derby off, yet that is what makes them dangerous.
The Whites have limped in to this position rather than riding a crest of a wave.
There is just one goal in it, which is the bare minimum for a lead.
As Brian could have said,
‘It only takes a second to to please the wife because when you’re scoring she knows it’s on the football pitch’
These extra matches can put a strain on a marriage as emotion, passion and love could be seen to be misdirected.
‘No, you can’t go to Wembley, we’re off on holiday in a month’,
will be uttered across the country. Bare it in mind that losing in the semi’s could save your marriage.
Well, you know, finding silver linings before the result can help you be mentally prepared, if the worst does happen.
I was feeling confident after Saturday’s match, yet as the time ticks down for the return leg the nerves are starting to build.
Already they have moved up a notch as our Derby talisman Keemar Roofe is going to miss the game. Bamford is back after his totally unnecessary altercation. Pontus is still doubtful. Roberts, Allioski and Forshaw are out.
I have no reservations about Shackleton taking Forshaw’s place and it looks likely that Edmonson will take a place on the bench as the Bamford back up. It’s not a great way to get on the bench with all the injuries but I wish him the best of luck if he manages to get on to the pitch.
It’s another sell out for the last home game of the season and I naturally expect a raucous atmosphere. With the new Frankie song, I’m hoping they save it for when we’re almost there. I wouldn’t like that to back fire. Surely some Derby fans must be preparing an alternative if their dream comes true.
May the season continue.
Pretty please.
Last edited by jimmy ching on 13 May 2019, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

jimmy ching wrote: 13 May 2019, 13:19
...our Derby talisman Keemar Roofe is going to miss the game.
Gutted for you, and I bet the Derby fans will be Happy and are going to clap along as they will be facing a team without a Roofe

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Well that was an entertaining match. Villa are back at Wembley. What I don't want to see is John Terry removing his clothes sticking on a team shirt and pinching the Cup.
I'm not a great fan of any club who nicks a manager from the same league during the season. Can't blame Dean though as Villa's parachute payments keep the team financed.
They stop after next season if they don't go up. That's when the ball and chain gets added. Many old established clubs know the feeling. It's tough.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, West Brom came unstuck in the end, though it was closer than I expected... Darren Moore can raise a glass in celebration anyway, hope he’s bought himself a Villa shirt :wink:

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

jimmy ching wrote: 14 May 2019, 22:56Villa are back at Wembley. What I don't want to see is John Terry removing his clothes sticking on a team shirt and pinching the Cup.
If the alternative is Leeds winning, he could prance around naked with the cup for all I care.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

A financially healthy Leeds and Villa would both be great for the Premier League. They should both be top 10 clubs at the very least, really, if not putting pressure on the struggling members of the top six alongside the likes of Everton and Newcastle.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Magic wrote: 15 May 2019, 09:20
jimmy ching wrote: 14 May 2019, 22:56Villa are back at Wembley. What I don't want to see is John Terry removing his clothes sticking on a team shirt and pinching the Cup.
If the alternative is Leeds winning, he could prance around naked with the cup for all I care.
:lol:

According to his team mates wags, it's quite a sight.
Let's not burn Bridges.

Maldini
Dumbledore

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

Post by Maldini »

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Yeeesssss!! Well done Derby for beating them dirty Yorkshire cheats. I can go back to wanting you to get smashed every week now!

Now come on Villa in the final :D

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Guess we’re all Villa fans for a couple of weeks now...

Will Bielsa stick around another season, or are Leeds back on the managerial roulette wheel now?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 92.

That has been a very enjoyable season for a change. It’s brought back to me the memories of the old times. Unfortunately it’s our misery whilst it’s joy for others, that Leeds are still falling apart again.
As an old timer, I’ve got used to it. I did the sensible thing by putting a bet on the opposition to soften the blow. I did expect a Villa Derby final but it didn’t look like it after 20 minutes.
Funny how I felt it wasn’t, with Barcelona and Ajax running through my head.
With the pace of the game going in to overdrive, the referee was handing out yellows like confetti. You could see a red was inevitable.
Then Kiko did an aberration, not once but twice. He did the same at Ipswich. I am now questioning whether he was a needed addition to the squad at Xmas. Looking at the results, the team did better with Bailey Peacock in goal in the first half of the season. There is one thing for certain, Cassilas is a liability.
Leeds made their own downfall and Callilas was the catalyst. By the time Cooper conceded a penalty you could see, it was Leeds losing it not Derby winning it.

When Derby notched their fourth, a sense of relief came across me, as many who have watched the Championship this season will know deep down, the teams that are going up are going to struggle.

Bielsa needs time to make his players understand how to play his system fluently. Whether he will stay and persist in his new pastures remains to be seen. There is another thing for certain, the Championship has benefited from his presence.
The City of Leeds has also benefited. He is not just football.

The best of luck to Villa and Derby to continue their dream but as managers go, I’d prefer Dean to do it because of his hard work with Brentford. Frank, probably needs another season in the Championship for his learning curve.

Right, now on to the players.

Player of the season.
Kalvin Phillips. His ability to learn quickly and do his job as defined by Marcelo. He was on the fringes last season then Vierra flew off to Italy. He stepped up and delivered. No doubt, some teams will be knocking on the door for him this summer.
Hernandez also put in a good one but we expected that from him, hence my award to Phillips.

Disappointments of the season.
Bamford, Brown and Douglas. All, we were promised were an improvement to the squad. I just haven’t seen it. You can add Baker to that as well. Douglas was the biggest downer after seeing his performances for Wolves, until Casillas performances over the last fortnight. I expect Brown and Cassilas to follow Baker.

Pains of the season.
Injuries. Need I say more? This is such a killer when the squad is so small. Blackman, yes that goalie that most have forgotten about, with our hindsight now, may have been our turning point.
The other is the Football League but that’s the same every season. They haven’t stopped since banning Herbert Chapman for life after they had shut down Leeds City.

Surprises of the season.
Jack Clarke and Jamie Shackleton. Personally if we have to sell one, I’d say Clarke but please don’t.

Winners of the season.
The U23 squad. They delivered the Northern title followed by the National. They also reached the semi’s in the Cup, their biggest scalp being Southampton in the league stages. Overall there is plenty of promise in this squad with Edmondson, Diaz, Struijk and Bogusz giving us optimism. Of the goalies I prefer Miazek to Huffer and Rae has just left last week.

Leeds fans of the season have been LUFC Lewis for his videos and Mickey P Kerr for his cover songs. They ooze passion and loyalty with a touch of professionalism.

I’m feeling a bit drained at the moment but it’s no big surprise.
Thanks for the season it was a fun ride and at last people are talking about Leeds again. Better third than fifteenth.
When does next season start?

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 15 May 2019, 23:10 Guess we’re all Villa fans for a couple of weeks now...

Will Bielsa stick around another season, or are Leeds back on the managerial roulette wheel now?
*Cough*

:wink:

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

just thought I would let JC know I hope his marriage and forthcoming holiday go well. To be at Wembley on the 27th looked unlikely until that Leeds mix up and the instant second half goal. And at Wembley I will be because Mr Morris has given us Golden Rams 2 tickets each with return transport. No mention of food or drink, but you never know. Will comment again after the final,win or lose.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Well the holiday has been sorted. We're going on one of those counseling holidays. It is said, you can get over your trauma by sharing your experiences with others who have suffered the same fate. Amsterdam and Barcelona it is

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

just a couple of days before the big event. My 2 free tickets and coach travel arrived this morning. No bags to be taken if they are larger than a sheet of A4 paper. Last time I was at Wembley was the 2007 playoff v the Baggies. We all know the outcome of that result. I guess that Villa's 2 new supporters in these parts are hoping for a similar result to the Cup Final of 1903 which got plenty of airing last weekend. Have had a modest wager on either team winning in extra time and hope the weather will be warmer this time.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

I thought there might have been some FISO real life Villa fans in our midst to make some comment. Still time ! Have got the A4 noshing bag all ready.
Will Chelsea take Frank back to the Bridge, whatever happens tomorrow ?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

All going smoothly for Villa at the moment... can Tommy Travelodge inspire another comeback for the sheepies?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Awesome! 8-)

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Well done Dean, well done Villa.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

So, El Cloughico remains on the fixture list for a 12th straight season...

Congratulations Villa, a club who should not only be in the top flight but should be contending for Europe. A frantic finish but they just about held on. Re-establishing themselves will be a challenge but one they’re capable of meeting.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”