To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

2019 Fantasy World Snooker - Now running

A forum for fans of Fantasy Snooker
Shaggy365
Dumbledore

2019 Fantasy World Snooker - Now running

Post by Shaggy365 »

Coming soon (in case you didn't realise), the 13th running of my Fantasy World Snooker Championship Competition.

Looking at the World Snooker web-site, I see the qualifiers start on 10th April and finish on the 17th. I then have 2 days to get as many entries as I can before it all kicks off again on 20th April. I've spent a bit of time thinking about point scoring, rankings, handicaps and generally messing around with it, but I've decided to leave it alone. After all, sooner or later I will actually do well in my own competition.

Watch this space.

Now running - Website is here and league table is here
Last edited by Shaggy365 on 20 Apr 2019, 20:08, edited 3 times in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: 2019 Fantasy World Snooker

Post by blahblah »

8-) 8-) 8-)

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

An early tip from Ronnie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

On the basis that Surprised isn't Ronnie then that's that sorted 8-)

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

The draw has been made for the qualifiers. Of course, have to look and see who Jimmy White has been drawn against, and it's Ross Bulman. If he gets through, the likelihood is he'll be playing Ali Carter !!! Anyway, that kicks off in a couple of days time.

In the meantime (and if you've enjoyed my little competition in the past), please have a read of viewtopic.php?f=89&t=130061

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Ali Carter has beaten Jimmy White. Ebdon and Doherty also out.

Shame to lose big names while faceless wonders that I've never heard of get in. Maybe I'm just stuck in time, still in the last century...

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

murf wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 22:58 Ali Carter has beaten Jimmy White. Ebdon and Doherty also out.

Shame to lose big names while faceless wonders that I've never heard of get in. Maybe I'm just stuck in time, still in the last century...
And for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

murf wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 22:58 Ali Carter has beaten Jimmy White. Ebdon and Doherty also out.

Ebdon at the end of his career was like a sloth with a limp. Simply painful. Loss of hair, loss of flair and all that.....

Poor old Jimmy never makes it now. Playing Carter was a tough draw mind :?

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

And that's a bad miss...

Just to get you in the mood - Mitchell and Webb Lady in Red parody-

https://youtu.be/u_Sp8AsbMVk

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I was hoping this would return. Can't believe I missed the thread.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

The draw is at 11am tomorrow, with some tasty Qualifiers through....

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Re: 2019 Fantasy World Snooker - Now running

Post by Shaggy365 »

Well, the waiting is over. The qualifiers have finished (although not very exciting), and the competition is up and running.

2 days to get your entries in, so don't hang around.

Oh yes, here's the website

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Note: Williams is No 1 seed as holder....

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

blahblah wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 23:03 Note: Williams is No 1 seed as holder....
Can't disagree with you, but my player values are based on current world rankings, which put's Ronnie as player 1.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Shaggy365 wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 23:08
blahblah wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 23:03 Note: Williams is No 1 seed as holder....
Can't disagree with you, but my player values are based on current world rankings, which put's Ronnie as player 1.
Yep, just clarifying for people and draw is 1 vs 16.......

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

One other thing I should have said before people complain that it's quite hard to pick an entry, there are 19,799,040 different entries, your job is just to pick the one that's the best.

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

This is a route to the final version
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

So far, so good. No invalid entries.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Shaggy365 wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 18:38 So far, so good. No invalid entries.
:shock: 8-)

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

blahblah wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 18:53
Shaggy365 wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 18:38 So far, so good. No invalid entries.
:shock: 8-)
... which immediately tells everyone that Mr B has entered, chasing a 3rd title (or is it a 4th?)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Something like that. I think I bombed one year, and haven't had many seconds etc.

If I get time and inspiration I'll do a Preview later today to help FISO up the global league as last year was woeful, or maybe just confuse everyone :?

polarbear
The Blobmeister: Wales 2015
FS Record: 2010 Scottish FISO Open Golf Champion
4th Place overall OFL Fantasy Golf 2015
Sams FISO Golf Series Winner 2016 & 2019

Post by polarbear »

Posting my entry so I can remember who I picked!

Barry Hawkins 44
Luca Brecel 39
Zhao Xintong 24
Judd Trump 46
Mark Allen 47

Total 200

Got a feeling one of the Chinese players will make it to the semis this year.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

The numbers to the right of each player are their ranking for this season only ie how much “earned”. They are not an exact estimation of how well they have played as: the players on the right have £20k for getting through qualifying, which is a lot given that Gould and Cahill have got £45.5k all season; and those on the left have some bonus cash for Invitational comps ie Jack (Lisowski, and probably my fave player to watch – see below) would be joint 5th if he had been invited to the Tour Championship and lost in the first Round like Selby, Bingham and Williams.

The list is http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?te ... eason=2018 and there are plenty of interesting tabs and the Players' names are links to their results this season for further digging, if you have the urge. A lot of the below is off the top of my head, as I could probably type reams if I dug deeper, so it may be swayed by aged memory and bias, which I will try to be honest about.

The recent China Open saw a fair few upsets http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?event=748 and I only refer to a few of them, but it might be worth a quick skim of the 1st Round in particular. One aspect of this is fatigue etc as I am convinced that it was a factor in ROS failings at Sheffield in the last 2 years and a reason why he has trimmed his schedule down, and didn,t fly to China and then back last week, preferring to chill here and practice....

Mark Williams (7) v Martin Gould (65)
David Gilbert (10) v Joe Perry (12)
Barry Hawkins (15) v Li Hang (39)
Kyren Wilson (9) v Scott Donaldson (17)
Williams has been very hit and miss this season with more misses than hits. His ranking is boosted by an implosion by Jack after one of his daft misses which would have made it 4-1 in first to 5, with MW going on to win the Comp and invites to the Invitationals. Gould can be a bit Hawkins lite ie solid and difficult to beat; and won the recent (no crowd) Champs League thing and has come through Qualifying. I am almost expecting Williams to be going home Saturday evening, but if he is still there next weekend, then he is an obvious contender.
Not a clue regarding the second match, but I would expect either to beat Gould; and it depends on Williams if they get past him.
Hawkins is a bit of a Sheffield overachiever, or is it just that his style does not suit the one session matches of pretty much the rest of the season. This match could well be as much of a borefest as the previous one as Li is as dull to watch ie solid and with a bit of a safety game, plays percentages etc. I expect Hawkins to win relatively comfortably.
Donaldson did well in the China Open getting to the Semi's before looking fooked in a royal thrashing by Jack, while Wilson (who I have increasingly gone off this season) seems to have been changing his action and has been struggling for a fair while. I am erring on the side of Donaldson here, with Hawkins beating the winner, unless Wilson has sorted out a reliable cue action and can rediscover that winning feeling.
Hawkins to be the last man standing, unless Williams is close to how he played 12 months ago.

John Higgins (13) v Mark Davis (20)
Stuart Bingham (6) v Graeme Dott (45)
Shaun Murphy (48) v Luo Honghao (61)
Neil Robertson (1) v Michael Georgiou (62)
Higgins is still suffering the aftermath of losing the last 2 Finals imho, having gone very deep twice and has been poor this season, so I have this down as another “upset”. However as per Williams, if he is there next weekend and has found his mojo etc, then he could go all the way – but I doubt it even more than Williams.
Another match to cure insomnia, and another likely upset as Dott is a bit of a bustard to play over 2 sessions. While I loathe Bingham, he is seriously good at dropping snookers on the last red or when on colours.
Quite frankly Murphy has been as shite as my opinion of the unctious ….. and he is far from favourite, imho.
Robertson is the form player along with ROS, and should stroll this Quarter. However, he has played a lot of matches this year by going deep in his last 4, winning 2 and losing 2 to ROS. If Higgins\Hawkins can grind him down, or Williams tie him up then this will be a factor, but in theory he should get to the Final.

This is the stick a pin in quarter...
Mark Selby (5) bv Zhao Xintong (21)
Luca Brecel (24) v Gary Wilson (32)
Jack Lisowski (8) v Ali Carter (11)
Mark Allen (3) v Zhou Yuelong (34)
Selby has been struggling since he last won in Sheffield and again I wouldn't consider this an upset. Selby only beat Zhao 6-4 in the SF of the China Champs and lost in the 1st Round of the China Open the other week to Craig Steadman (Who? I here all you all mutter) but he was potting them off the chandeliers, and Selby did little wrong so I would put this behind the Williams and Higgins losing, but....
Brecel rocked it in the China Open playing his best stuff of the season, but didn't really beat anyone of note, although the 7-10 loss to Robertson was respectable enough. This is too close for me to call, but if good Luca turns up then he wins quite comfortably.
Undoubtedly the match of the 1st Round for me. Jack has a cue action nearly as sweet as ROS's and has started to play a bit of safety and cut down the overly ambitious pots. He got mullered in the the recent China Open Final by a flying Robertson. However, Jack missed 3 pots in the first 4 or 5 Frames that I would have been horrified at missing, and he never really recovered from the 6 Frame swing. Carter had a straight forward Qualification for this, but looked decidedly fooked at the end of it, so stamina maybe an issue and he has done very little since February, well only in Feb as I did look this up and 40k of his 135k came in the Grand Prix where he had a comfortable path to his final defeat by Trump. A bustard draw for Jack, especially if Carter can get as angry as he did vs ROS last year.
Allen has had head issues again, so I have no idea what to expect of him this year but IF he wins this one I doubt that he will beat Jack\Carter, as I am almost expecting the winner of that one to be in the Semi's, unless Selby is on form.

Judd Trump (4) v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh (26)
Ding Junhui (36) v Anthony McGill (58)
Stephen Maguire (16) v Tian Pengfei (53)
Ronnie O'Sullivan (2) v James Cahill (65)
Quite a few people have this down as the best 1st Round Match as it will be a shoot out, unlike the clash of styles in Jack\Carter, which I prefer. Judd should stroll this if he remembers how to play properly. He was back to 2 years ago in the China Open and deservedly lost to Robbie Williams, no not that one, as his safety and shot selection went AWOL. It may be of interest that Trumps cue may have gone missing on his way back from China: Oliver Lines twitted, or similar, that he flew back with Trump (and maybe some others) and that their cues had gone missing. I think it was about 3 days later that he twitted that he had his cue back – but Judd hasn;t mentioned it publicly.... I expect Judd to win this, ut if his cue is still AWOL and his shite performance in China was fatigue based then Un Nooh is no mug and plays even quicker than Judd, so it will be a quick death either way.
Ding is pretty much dung this season and was double dung in the China Open. I would be surprised if he wins this one.
I don't know much, well nothing, about who I expect Maguire to beat.
Ah, Le Dieu etc.... Cahill was a nephew of Stephen Hendry through his mother, who is the sister of Hendry's ex-wife; which will have Dennis the Annoying …. Taylor creaming his pants. He is actually quite impressive and I don;t know if his ex-Uncle has much to do with his game etc, but ROS to win at a stroll and then I expect him to beat Trump and whoever wins the Quarter above.

The fresh ROS to have a comfortable Final win vs a knackered Robertson seems to be where I have arrived at....

Summary etc:
A bit of geekness: the whole of Trump's bridge arm moves on almost, if not, all his shots which I think makes him too vulnerable under pressure in multi session matches to win this, but who knows...
Selby, Williams and Higgins will be serious contenders if they are there when it goes to 1 table, but I honestly can't see it as Selby hasn't been consistently near his best (or good enough) for 23.5 months; Higgins has lost his fire etc from those cruel losses to Selby then Williams; and Williams has slipped back to his lackadaisical ways.
Hawkins is very solid to not have really bad sessions, which is why he does so well here, but a higher level needs to be reached to win it, without a favourable run of opponents and Robertson could be fooked for the SF, and I would give him a chance against Judd, if the pressure gets to that bridge arm\hand...
Bingham is a previous winner, but I doubt that he is capable of going through that list of opponents.
Outsider: my guess is that it would be someone from the 3rd Quarter who gets lucky in the Semi and faces Hawkins or a knackered Robertson in the final, however: even if Allen's head is OK for the 1st Round I doubt that he can stay stable etc for 2 weeks and so many multi session matches; similarly I doubt Carter's stamina (but then I know more about a fooked head than Crohn's etc); the Chinese bods and Wilson are nowhere near good enough to maintain the level of performance required. This leaves Selby, Brecel and Jack. Selby could find form etc on the way to the Semi which I doubt above. Luca is nowhere consistent enough, although he was impressive in defeat to Robertson in China. Jack has been solid in terms of results and tends to lose to people rather than them beat him, but it would be seriously freaking amazing for him to get revenge on at least 2 Final defeats to Robertson this season and would need Judd to beat ROS, as there is no way he wins that one – and he has to go through Carter...

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

Good stuff...why do you loathe Bingham??

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Darbyand wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 18:26 Good stuff...why do you loathe Bingham??
The Essex mafia are pretty much all dullards and I'm more into the art than science of snooker and sport in general. Also he looks an overfed rat, he got off with the betting thing, and other irrational stuff :lol:

I tried to even out bias etc, but many would say that I have over-egged Jack. However, if he was swapped with Hawkins I would have Hawkins from that Quarter (subject to Selby finding form etc and Allen's head) and give Jack an excellent chance in the first. For those who only watch the Crucible he redefines smooth cuing and makes it all look so easy until he does something daft or too risky https://youtu.be/TSvtomjBtKY is a deciding frame and quite slow for him, which may help him.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Wow that post above is the longest I've ever seen from Blah :shock:

Got bored after two lines...

...only joking, great post 8-)

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Re the first match, Dave Gilbert played in one of my leagues when I was about 18/19 and he was 10.

The talent is most definitely there. He's had a decent season and could click. Would love to see it. Draw is decent if he can overcome Perry.

Also Martin Gould is a good potter and we've seen him before. I reckon he'll give Williams a game.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Coming into the Worlds, Robertson is the form horse.

To all extents, Selby and Higgins have had bad seasons. I wouldn't bet on them but having said that, they can both dig deep.

I know little about the outsiders apart from Ronnie's opponent - James Cahill - an amateur :shock:

Would love to see Brecel progress. Flair player.

However, my precious fiver this year has gone on Kyren Wilson. Looks decent odds at 16-1. Therefore watch him crash and burn :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

bluenosey wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 19:52 Wow that post above is the longest I've ever seen from Blah :shock:

Got bored after two lines...

...only joking, great post 8-)
:lol:

I assume it is coherent etc :?

I was pleasantly shocked at my concentration tbh as I did it in one go. The new Meds at the lower\initial dose seem to be good 8-)

There is a relatively low risk way of making cash on a whack of these, if someone can post the individual match odds....

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Snooker”