To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Manchester United Seasonal Blog 2018/19 - Ole Ole Ole Ole

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Manchester United Seasonal Blog 2018/19 - Ole Ole Ole Ole

Post by blahblah »

OGS and the genersl situation looks a lot different to RdM at Chelsea ie he looks in control, delegates etc...

I think yesterday was the first fullish match I have watched since his 3rd or 4th ish. I brought DdG into my FPL rabble and was happy to see him having to make saves as he did last season. Fulham are a really odd side, so I didn't type even against Fulham....

Put 2 good CB's behind the 2 DM's and some pace (with guile etc ie not a Theo, lol) wide right and you'll be really good (again).

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

So if we'd signed Perisic in 2017 and Alderweireld last summer with Lindelof's resurrection you'd be thinking we were in good shape? Jose had lost the plot in many ways (and would have sold a few of the players currently doing well) but he knew were the holes in the squad were. I'd add a right back to that and an upgrade on Herrera/Matic so still lots to do but at least the trajectory is upwards after years of slog.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

blah, do you not think they already have pace with guile in Rashford, Martial, Lingard and Pogba? I suppose Mbappe wouldn't go amiss!!

CB is still the area we need someone in to boss the back line but not sure we need 2 (although obvious 2 would be even better) - I've seen enough now in Lindelof to believe he can be an excellent partner to someone who is world class (and Bailly isn't too bad as back up).

Just look at the difference VVD has made (and Allison as well to be fair) to what was a pretty laughable Liverpool defence before he arrived. Put someone of that ilk (organiser as well as top defender) in the Utd back line and I think that would make all of the difference in stabilising the back line IMO.

The big question of course is whether those players are available - teams don't tend to need the money enough to necessitate selling these days and I haven't seen enough of the young lads coming through to know if any of them fit the bill (probably too soon to make the step up for them anyway). Koulibaly and Skriniar have been rumoured for a number of months now but the figures being bandied around are eye watering.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

No idea re the signings as Jose and the situation was more than toxic... I just say as I see, and those were the issues I saw... Mata as Pog's back up makes more sense than right wing?

Pog is a such a different player. I'll stand by my previous criticisms of the other (Jose) one, but this one is showing what you lot were saying he is capable of....

Whether OGS gets the players he wants is a different question? And I'd guess that some depth is needed in a few positions.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

thebillfella wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 13:22 blah, do you not think they already have pace with guile in Rashford, Martial, Lingard and Pogba? I suppose Mbappe wouldn't go amiss!!

CB is still the area we need someone in to boss the back line but not sure we need 2 (although obvious 2 would be even better) - I've seen enough now in Lindelof to believe he can be an excellent partner to someone who is world class (and Bailly isn't too bad as back up).

Just look at the difference VVD has made (and Allison as well to be fair) to what was a pretty laughable Liverpool defence before he arrived. Put someone of that ilk (organiser as well as top defender) in the Utd back line and I think that would make all of the difference in stabilising the back line IMO.

The big question of course is whether those players are available - teams don't tend to need the money enough to necessitate selling these days and I haven't seen enough of the young lads coming through to know if any of them fit the bill (probably too soon to make the step up for them anyway). Koulibaly and Skriniar have been rumoured for a number of months now but the figures being bandied around are eye watering.
On phone, and edit stuff is beyond my aged eyes and thumb...

I was mainly commenting on the Fulham match where the attack was lop-sided and I'm not sure about Jesse tbh. I say guile and pace as the former is needed vs the bus parkers while Jones & Smalling are the answer to a different question ie how to improve Ipswich lol.

Yes you may well already have the answers with McTom a possible DM upgrade? I think getting these positions right is at least as important as the CB's with 2 attacking FB's. .

Did you know Arsene rejected VvD as he was too lethargic etc?

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Darbyand wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 13:09 So if we'd signed Perisic in 2017 and Alderweireld last summer with Lindelof's resurrection you'd be thinking we were in good shape? Jose had lost the plot in many ways (and would have sold a few of the players currently doing well) but he knew were the holes in the squad were. I'd add a right back to that and an upgrade on Herrera/Matic so still lots to do but at least the trajectory is upwards after years of slog.
Valencia, Young, Mata, Matic, Sanchez, Smalling and Herrera are all now at an age where they are becoming or have become depreciating assets and we should be looking to replace them sooner rather than later as we would have done under Fergie. But that is 7 changes which is usually more than most teams make in a single window so likely to be over a couple of seasons at least I suspect. Replacing them with players of a similar age (in Perisic and Alderweireld) feels more like the Chelsea / Jose way than the Utd way to be honest - I'd prefer to be looking at up and coming targets like Sancho or Skriniar as that feels more in keeping with the club's traditional approach IMO.

Young and Matic to be fair have done pretty well again this season but that shouldn't detract from being progressive in the succession management - don't forget that we have already acquired a RB for the future in Dalot who is still work in progress but has looked pretty capable when he has played. I wonder if we could convince Kante to leave Chelsea to play in his preferred natural position...?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

That isn't 7 though?

2 will at best be sharing FB's? So you have back up there...
Sanchez doesn't start, with Mata and Smalling less so?

Which just leaves the 2 DM's to be transitioned out?

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

From a first XI perspective yes; I'm thinking from a squad perspective.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

quite ironic Wenger said pogba lacks discipline before the game and that why Jose mourinho and pogba fell out.

Quite a tight game untill they scored and a lot of player lost there heads being too agresstive. psg found it easier to play there possession game around our players then.

And Mata and Sanchez are not good counter attacking players. They play better in possession teams

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

A disastrous result for Man U who now have a mountain to climb in the tie.

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

buu1333 wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 22:35quite ironic Wenger said pogba lacks discipline before the game and that why Jose mourinho and pogba fell out.
Wenger talking about discipline :lol: :roll:
trampie wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 23:08A disastrous result for Man U who now have a mountain to climb in the tie.
Not in the greater scheme of things. PSG are a long way ahead of where Man United are presently, they're in the Elite European group, Man United, like the rest of the English clubs except for City, are not.

The loss stings of course, as will the likely defeat in Paris, but in the greater scheme of things, the early exit allows more concentration on trying to finish 4th, so is not all bad.

The @ Chelski cup tie will be interesting, them coming of a battering and Man United coming off the first loss since December. Someone will get a boost, someone will get another knock.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Good ie positive yet interesting PC from OGS especially on poaching, being in and movement in the box "as i have said about our strikers". He was very sharp\good on players feeling sorry for themselves...

But it is a tad strange that he went on about "so many young players" as only 2 or 3 started?

I liked the (longish) piece on BBC, especially that he just oversees\observes training sessions, and I'm increasingly thinking\sure that he is the best option as Manager. I'll toss in that the results may not be as important as his reaction(s)...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

5 players 24 or under (is 24 ‘young’)?

Rashford 21
Shaw 23
Martial 23
Lindeloff 24
Bailly 24

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Not for me I'd say 22, but the number of matches and level (ie upper Prem, CL and Ints ie WC, Euros etc, but not easy Qualifiers) are relevant too?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I think on the radio this morning (it was 6am so I could have been mistaken)... but I’m sure they said this Uniteds heaviest European Home defeat.

That’s remarkable if true.

I know that up until maybe 10 years ago (if that) they’d never lost a home tie... but I’m still surprised that 2-0 is their ‘heaviest’.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manches ... n_football

Looking at that link, appears to be so... have only previously suffered 1 goal margin defeats (looks like 96/97 was when their unbeaten record vanished).

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

United won't for one minute think the last two nights changes the situation. Olé has still been mightily impressive even if last night was a real reality check, reverses happen when you play good teams and goals, especially away goals, do change attitudes psychologically too. One to take on board and learn from.

Any loss of Lingard for any period of time could be far more major than any one loss for Ole's prospects of continuing though.

There are such big games on the horizon and Mata for me has never really suited United's style, he hasn't pace and is far more suited to a possession style of football rather than quick counters. Sanchez too was struggling at Arsenal at the end and he hasn't really shown for some time.

Olé was favourite and possibly still is to be named permanent manager but United were never going to rush things so they may well have had one eye on Wembley tonight where a brilliant second half showing from Spurs, even as depleted as they are, was just too good for a strangely lacklustre Dortmund in that half. 

It was a tactical masterclass from Pochettino who played a completely different formation, perhaps more defensive in some eyes, but Vertonghen at wing back had a blinder. He keeps getting results without his big stars and with key replacements (Davies) out too. Then leaving Llorente out for Moura and reshuffles. That double act 'Harry and Ali' may be back for the return too

So United may be once again half looking Spurs way.

The big danger for Spurs is just how overstretched they are building that stadium in the capital at immense expense, no transfers, limited budgets and a rigid pay structure may mean that once one leaves (Eriksson?) others may follow - Poch may see United as freedom if they make an approach, but him not being at Spurs could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for the North London club.

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

You're as bad as the likes of Gary Neville and Co. Why would Poch go to MU when he's already at a better club :lol:
Unless of course he needs a challenge.. :D
Just kidding, but I sure hope Poch does not think of leaving.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

For Spurs to still be in the title race and as good as through to the quarters of the CL without Kane and Ali and even Son for a few weeks says everything about Pochettino as a manager, a remarkable tactician and astute thinker.

I know OGS has done very well but imo at least United would be crazy not to keep their options open if there is even a slight chance Pochettino could be tempted in the summer.
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 14 Feb 2019, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

And yet some people were saying he was stupid for playing a reserve team in their FA Cup game.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Zimmerman wrote:And yet some people were saying he was stupid for playing a reserve team in their FA Cup game.
Foreign managers can often look at the major trophies, the champions league and league title as really worth pursuing even if it means protecting players in lesser competitions and more especially when injuries have taken such a toll already. This is usually the culture abroad where the domestic trophies are seen as competitions to give squad players a chance anyway. Klopp is possibly the same.

Priorities are different depending on clubs but for all the nonsense from some pundits about Pochettino needing to win something, a league cup or FA cup won't materially stop the jibes, it might change them but it won't stop them.

It would just transform it into 'You've only won an FA (or League) Cup' (with the inference being you've never won anything major)

Managers who win FA cups gets dismissed at top clubs if their league form isn't up to scratch or someone better may come.

Pochettino's reputation stands or falls by how far he can take Spurs in the major competitions not whether he can do a Swansea, Birmingham City, Wigan, Portsmouth etc and win a lesser trophy.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

👍🏾

Couldn’t agree more

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 22:45Any loss of Lingard for any period of time could be far more major than any one loss for Ole's prospects of continuing though.
Lingard and Martial are out for two to three weeks.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Martial and Lingard out for up to 3 weeks and both likely to miss all the big games too.

This period was always going to be exceptionally tough for Olé. Noone now realistically expects progress in the champions league, with or without these two, and missing the FA cup was always a given, but now Martial as well as Lingard out of the Liverpool game is a real body blow.

Can Solskjaer do a Pochettino and continue on regardless of two of his most important players missing? He will certainly have to show exceptional tactical acumen and develop different modes of attack, just how do you play a quick counter attacking game built on speed without the speed?

This couldn't have come at a worse time for Olé, but passing such a tough examination would very possibly show he has what it takes and is truly equipped for the job full time.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Manchester United Seasonal Blog 2018/19 - Ole Ole Ole Ole

Post by Maldini »

Time for the ‘stars’ to step up to the plate.
After all, Lukaku and Sanchez aren’t bad replacements.

He’ll have to tweak his tactics and perhaps we’ll find out how good a manager he really is.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

Maldini wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 15:38 Time for the ‘stars’ to step up to the plate.

He’ll have to tweak his tactics and perhaps we’ll find out how good a manager he really is.
When the Bluebirds gave him a chance he flopped.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Brilliant absolutely brilliant response from United

What a comeback after PSG, this is a huge stride forward from Solskjaer he's shown he can adapt to adversity and setbacks, at least in this game.

Pogba was right at the top of his game tonight, a magnificent performance

As for Chelsea -

You can't say Sarri has won nothing for them

He's won ignominy in only a few months

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Ole has to get the job now I should think, because if not someone else will have him!!!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

trampie wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 21:22

It was the Redbirds at that time wasn’t it? :wink:

A bit of a lost cause by the time he arrived, but certainly looked at the time like it would be his only taste of Premier League management.

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

trampie wrote:

That might be because the players weren't any good - you can't polish a turd!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”