To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Great TV Series

Post by Zimmerman »

It did the same thing as Fargo.
Amazing first season.

Subsequent seasons are effectively entirely different programmes/casts using the same name.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Zimmerman wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 13:10 It did the same thing as Fargo.
Amazing first season.

Subsequent seasons are effectively entirely different programmes/casts using the same name.
Oh right that's a shame after getting invested in the characters.

I actually really liked the subsequent series of Fargo especially the last one with Mc Gregor playing both brothers.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Fargo has been pretty consistently good, although a bit OTT at times.

As above, thought S1 of True Detective was good, S2 less so, S3 sat on recorder and yet to start. Also seriously mumbly in strange accents at times. Need subtitles more than Rab C Nesbitt.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Find myself defaulting to sub titles these days. Not sure it’s my hearing as that’s been tested! Find listening via my iPad on headphones much clearer.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

happyhoppy wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 11:58 Little update of what I’ve been watching.

Finished Vikings. It was alright I guess but didn’t really grip me like it did earlier. Post Ragnar just didn’t work as well.
I enjoyed S5 more than I expected, though there were bits that didn’t quite work. Thought we’d lose a big character in the finale but it didn’t happen. S6 (another two-parter) to be the last one, hope it ends with a bang.

Started on Better Call Saul, pretty good so far. Didn’t want to do it immediately after BB as more chance it would suffer by comparison.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

forestfan wrote:

Finished Vikings. It was alright I guess but didn’t really grip me like it did earlier. Post Ragnar just didn’t work as well.
I enjoyed S5 more than I expected, though there were bits that didn’t quite work. Thought we’d lose a big character in the finale but it didn’t happen. S6 (another two-parter) to be the last one, hope it ends with a bang.

Started on Better Call Saul, pretty good so far. Didn’t want to do it immediately after BB as more chance it would suffer by comparison.
Yeah one more Vikings Series think that’s about right it’s all getting a bit repetitious. Thought the Floki story was very weak and the characters who got killed off I had no idea who they were and felt of no consequence. As you say no big casualties and Ivor survives.

Be interesting to hear your take on BCS I love that series and it gets better and better imo with more and more BB characters appearing. But it really stands on its own two feet with some of the best characters not actually being in BB. Worth looking at the reddit for it lots of good discussion in there each episode which is very interesting.

I read a blog somewhere from the producer that said he wanted the feel of the series to be about the journey and not just presenting the viewer with “firework” style drama/endings. Some like this some don’t. I loved it.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

happyhoppy wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 11:58 Watched a few episodes of Orphan Black which is ok.

On S3 of inside No9 previously on BBC now on Netflix which are Black Mirror style short stories. Some are brilliant. Only 30 mins each.
Stick with Orphan Black it is a "developer", have you got as far as her mother appearing? The East European is so lush, but then so is the Soccer Wife and the French girl is good as she is in Cafe de Flore, which is well worth a watch. The second series has the predictable drop.....

Indeed to Inside No9, almost confusingly so from memory.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

happyhoppy wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 14:38
forestfan wrote:

Yeah one more Vikings Series think that’s about right it’s all getting a bit repetitious. Thought the Floki story was very weak and the characters who got killed off I had no idea who they were and felt of no consequence. As you say no big casualties and Ivor survives.

Be interesting to hear your take on BCS I love that series and it gets better and better imo with more and more BB characters appearing. But it really stands on its own two feet with some of the best characters not actually being in BB. Worth looking at the reddit for it lots of good discussion in there each episode which is very interesting.

I read a blog somewhere from the producer that said he wanted the feel of the series to be about the journey and not just presenting the viewer with “firework” style drama/endings. Some like this some don’t. I loved it.
Yeah, I think the first series was pretty good, I thought after the first couple of episodes that it was going to remain largely drugs focused as per BB but then they took it in different directions, though obviously it will get back into that particular world when Gus etc. appear. Interesting to see Mike’s back story as well.

It is good to see a balance between the journey and explosive endings, if you just get rushed battles/shootouts between characters you don’t really care about it doesn’t make for a great show. But BB just built and built over five/six series and the end was just so much more intense as a result.

I believe there’s four series of BCS to date with perhaps another couple to follow? I wonder if Vince Gilligan will do another show in the Albuquerque universe when it’s over...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

happyhoppy wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 14:38 Yeah one more Vikings Series think that’s about right it’s all getting a bit repetitious. Thought the Floki story was very weak and the characters who got killed off I had no idea who they were and felt of no consequence.
Yeah, it was a good concept but the fact it didn't feature any other established characters made it hard to really care about. We only really learned who someone was when they got killed...

The real/legendary Floki did settle Iceland so that was obviously always going to be the culmination of his storyline, but I wanted to see him go out heroically in battle, as a character he deserved that. Not sure if he really is dead in the cave/volcano but it's an unsatisfactory ending for him if so, as we don't really know! Still, he will probably just pop up back in Kattegat next season as if nothing had happened...

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

The last Kingdom - love it, it reminds me of a comic book story but not in a bad way.

Babylon Berlin - Brilliant, just seen the first series so far but going to watch the second one soon.

The Bureau - my absolute favourite series of all time - like Spiral takes awhile to warm to the characters and to get going but once it does...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

The best stuff on TV lately I've seen has all been documentary type stuff.

Winterwatch - fabulous as always with great new location in the Cairngorms with well timed snow. Superb.

Guitar, Drum and Bass (think that is what it is called BBC4? iPlayer). 3 documentarys on history etc of each instrument. Tina Weymouth's bass one was fantastic , marginally better than Stewart Copeland on drums (both showing same clip of She's Lost Control!). Not seen Lenny Kaye one yet.

Also saw a Natural World repeat, think from year or two back with Helen McDonald who wrote H is for Hawk, about getting her new goshawk. Beautiful stuff.

All fantastic and better than any rubbish series about drugs or vikings (read the Bernard Cornwell books folks - 20 times better).

Oh, one series that was pretty good - Les Miserables. Proper story and no songs . Few too many coincidences but that will be the book's fault. Nearly 20 years since I got a question on it right on 15 to 1 and I've finally seen a version of it!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

The music one was\is a returm to form for BBC 4 which has has dipped lately.

Best of '81 TotP on now, I'd expect it to be on I Player very soon. I accept my bias, but the best year for TotP EVER (in idiot bigot glare mode). Even with Ure looking camper than a row of tents warbling on about Vienna :wink:

Bless my cotton socks :roll:. Apparently only added for the Peel Session

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

OK Shaky and Green Door is a bad nightmare :oops:

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Watching Das Boot on Sky Atlantic. No drugs and Vikings. No tits (well not much) and dragons either.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 21:07 All fantastic and better than any rubbish series about drugs or vikings (read the Bernard Cornwell books folks - 20 times better).
Are they about drugs or Vikings? Or drug-dealing Vikings being chased by dragons, zombies and robotic cowboys? :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:
murf wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 21:07 All fantastic and better than any rubbish series about drugs or vikings (read the Bernard Cornwell books folks - 20 times better).
Are they about drugs or Vikings? Or drug-dealing Vikings being chased by dragons, zombies and robotic cowboys? :wink:
He wrote The Last Kingdom series which has some vikings and the odd tit but only maybe mentions of mythical dragons. No robots or cowboys.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

happyhoppy wrote:Yep one or two were like, what???

The IMDb scores which swayed me to watch are very high for S1 of True Detective they fall away from S2 quite alarmingly.
Series one was absolutely top class

Series two was absolutely pitiful.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

happyhoppy wrote:Watching Das Boot on Sky Atlantic. No drugs and Vikings. No tits (well not much) and dragons either. Image
Das Boot this time round is even better than the original imo (on a very long time ago...year dot).

Really recommended.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
happyhoppy wrote:Watching Das Boot on Sky Atlantic. No drugs and Vikings. No tits (well not much) and dragons either. Image
Das Boot this time round is even better than the original imo (on a very long time ago...year dot).

Really recommended.
Done 4 so far and enjoying it.

But really enjoying Bates Motel one more to watch from S1.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
happyhoppy wrote:Yep one or two were like, what???

The IMDb scores which swayed me to watch are very high for S1 of True Detective they fall away from S2 quite alarmingly.
Series one was absolutely top class

Series two was absolutely pitiful.
I'm well into Series 3 now. Quite good but the mumbling in accents is awful and the 3 timelines quite confusing.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Finished Das Boot with the Mrs which was enjoyable and a bit different, 8/10.

On to Series 3 of Bates Motel which we are really enjoying, it's taking all our self control to restrict us to a couple of episodes a night. Characters are well developed and new ones ease into the episodes seamlessly.

IMDB scores get better by series too. 10/10 from me.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Phoebe Waller-Bridge set such a high standard with the first series of Fleabag that I thought it would be impossible to keep it going for a second season. But if last night's opener is anything to go by, she's done it. Funny, clever, unpredictable, and delivered by an all-star cast on top form. The best thing I've seen on TV so far this year.

Also the trailer ads for Line of Duty series 5 have started :D

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

Bashed out Bad Blood on Netflix. 6 episodes 45 mins each based on a true story of the Rizzuto Mafia that operated in Montreal.

Really good and a fantastic twist at the end that I did not see coming although there was a big clue which I did twig but ignored.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Dirty John was a pretty well done series. Based on a true story (there is also a documentary with the same name).

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Absolutely loved line of duty until this series. It’s not doing it for me this time around. So disappointed.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Up until last night's episode I agree with you. But last night's Line of Duty was a cracker.

This comment at the foot of the Guardian review sums up my reservation though - I was going to write something similar but this saves me typing it out:

Enjoying all the twists and turns, but do feel that's come at the expense of character development. Kate and Steve have been more like placeholders moving through the plot than well-rounded human beings who are more than their jobs. There have been only brief moments where they've talked about anything other than the case. The sense of fierce loyalty that they have for each other was one of the key factors in why they are a compelling duo in previous series, and that's been missing in this one.

As I've said before, in the best dramas it's the thoughts and actions of the characters that appear to be driving the plot, rather than the scriptwriter.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Billy Whiz wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 11:10 Phoebe Waller-Bridge set such a high standard with the first series of Fleabag that I thought it would be impossible to keep it going for a second season. But if last night's opener is anything to go by, she's done it. Funny, clever, unpredictable, and delivered by an all-star cast on top form. The best thing I've seen on TV so far this year.
Only just discovered Fleabag. Watched the first three episodes of S1 last night. Really good so far.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

unc.si. wrote:Well Narcos season 3 didn't disappoint.

Different without Escobar, but it is a different story. Pretty chilling to see how the power and money of a cocaine empire can corrupt everyone. Normal people, cops, military, Government.

Thought the series built brilliantly, and the last few episodes were real edge of the seat stuff.

Looks like Mexico is next. Sadly one of the location scouts was murdered just north of Mexico city. Just highlights how dangerous a lot of Mexico is outside of the touristic zones.

... brilliant show, made even better by knowing its true (OK its heavily stylised, but the broad story follows the truth)
Just finished S3, fantastic tv!

Hope the Mexico series keeps up the good work.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Zimmerman wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:56
Billy Whiz wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 11:10 Phoebe Waller-Bridge set such a high standard with the first series of Fleabag that I thought it would be impossible to keep it going for a second season. But if last night's opener is anything to go by, she's done it. Funny, clever, unpredictable, and delivered by an all-star cast on top form. The best thing I've seen on TV so far this year.
Only just discovered Fleabag. Watched the first three episodes of S1 last night. Really good so far.
Glad you're enjoying it. Series 1 is a masterpiece. Series 2 starts brilliantly, dips a bit in the second episode but soon picks up speed again and is definitely worth watching to the end.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Watched Quicksand on Netflix. A Swedish series (don’t get your hopes up ) of 6 episodes. Really enjoyed it.

“Maja, a student in Stockholm, finds herself on trial for murder after a tragedy at her school. More doubts and suspicions arise when new revelations are made.”

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”