To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Coinbase Fraud or not?

A forum for matters involving finance (incl. business and money issues) and shopping (incl. consumer rights).
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Coinbase Fraud or not?

Post by unc.si. »

Does anyone know much about Coinbase?

A debit card transaction for £50 has appeared on my bank statement saying Coinbase - London and an 8 digit reference number. Not a direct bank transfer - its a debit card transaction.

Don't recognise this at all (although sometimes things appear on the statement under an unexpected name).

Have reported to bank as potentially fraudulent. Can't obviously see anything online that tells me if this is a common fraud or if honest transactions come up with Coinbase as the merchant. As far as I can see Coinbase is only used for buying crypocurrencies though.

anyone any ideas?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Coinbase Fraud or not?

Post by blahblah »

Maybe you bought something from someone who only takes digital currency which cost £50 ? (ie if in USof A they would still charge you in £'s on the statement, but received $'s)

Looks a tad dodgy re the amount though.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Can't think of anything that I've bought online with a debit card for that amount. It was only last week (well that was the date on the statement - I was actually out of the country and didn't use my debit card all week, but could have been a few days earlier - transaction dates on the statement often appear as a few days after the actual transaction).

Hardly ever use a debit card online to be honest. Credit cards all the way. Wife can't think of anything either, neither can the kids (they don't have a linked card but sometimes ask me to pay for things online for them).

definitely dodgy (although slim chance that it is something genuine)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

It does seem dodgy, and Digital......

Good Luck

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Coinbase is a cryptocurrency transaction system

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

just an update,

Apparently a spate of fraudulent transactions to Coinbase last week. Bank blocked any transactions to Coinbase but some slipped through.
New card issued, £50 refunded, job done.

just shows how important it is to check bank statements thoroughly.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Financial & Shopping”